PDA

View Full Version : So - what series do you want to discuss?

Tamyrlin
09-19-2010, 02:14 AM
I've heard some requests for The Way of Kings. What other series have followings that they'd like to see listed in this section?

Nazbaque
09-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Discworld.

Artur pendragon
09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Malazan book of the Fallen

The Way of Kings

Weird Harold
09-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Pern: Anne McCaffrey and being expanded by her son Todd.

Safehold: David Weber

Honor Harrington (Honorverse): David Weber (and other contributors)

Ring of Fire: Shared universe created and managed by Eric Flint. (1632 et seq)

Tamyrlin
09-19-2010, 11:33 PM
I'd like sub forums for book series, but I can't add every single one, especially if they don't garner much discussion. So, what should be the methodology? Should we make a poll and a series must get five votes to get it's own forum? Any other thoughts?

Weird Harold
09-19-2010, 11:39 PM
I'd like sub forums for book series, but I can't add every single one, especially if they don't garner much discussion. So, what should be the methodology? Should we make a poll and a series must get five votes to get it's own forum? Any other thoughts?
Any book or series that garners 100 (on-topic) posts in the base forum, either in one thread or in multiple threads, gets its own sub-forum?

Tamyrlin
09-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Because of the potential spoilerish nature of every post for those that haven't read the series. I imagine a hundred posts would make it difficult to not have some things ruined, unless we create individual threads for each series to start their conversations. If those threads get to a hundred posts, they get their own forum? I guess I like that. Seems like a decent way.

yks 6nnetu hing
09-20-2010, 03:19 AM
could do based on the author rather than the series - there are authors who are known only for one series but there are also authors (such as Sanderson will be) who are known for more than one book or series.

My suggestions:
Brandon Sanderson
Guy Gavriel Kay
Robin Hobb
George R.R. Martin (if he ever continues writing)
Steven Erikson

and then one Generic Sci-Fi and Fantasy
and one for Everything Else

Terez
09-20-2010, 03:40 AM
My suggestion is this:

Have a subforum specifically for Brandon's books within this one, and the rest dedicated to whatever other books. I doubt any of the rest of them will garner all that much discussion here (though I could be wrong). Lots of people might drop suggestions for their favorite authors, but do they really have much to say about the books?

I'm only a few chapters through TWOK, but I can already see tons of things ripe for discussion, as soon as TLers get around to reading it (I know a few have, and more plan to soon).

Weird Harold
09-20-2010, 03:49 AM
could do based on the author rather than the series - there are authors who are known only for one series but there are also authors (such as Sanderson will be) who are known for more than one book or series.

I think series is a better divider; There are several authors who have multiple series that I'm not interested in but one or two that I follow fairly closely. Mercedes Lackey comes to mind as an author that has two series worth following and a dozen or so that aren't worth the match it would take to burn them.

Because of the potential spoilerish nature of every post for those that haven't read the series.

I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers except for the most recent one or two books in any particular series. The general rule we use for the WOT of "there are no spoilers once the paperback comes out" works for any series, really.

yks 6nnetu hing
09-20-2010, 04:03 AM
I think series is a better divider; There are several authors who have multiple series that I'm not interested in but one or two that I follow fairly closely. Mercedes Lackey comes to mind as an author that has two series worth following and a dozen or so that aren't worth the match it would take to burn them.
um. But then who decides which series are "worth following" at TL? and if someone wants to discuss the same author but a different series, where are they going to post? if we only have a Way of Kings forum, then where are the people who want to discuss Elantris or Mistborn going to post?

As an example, right now there's a new GGK thread on the non-board every few weeks/months, and it's usually about a different book than before. Then again, GGK mostly writes stand-alones and it would be rather pointless to have a forum for each book because, like Terez said, there just wouldn't be enough posting to hold the forum up. Likewise Hobb has 4 trilogies (and the Keeper chornicles... a duology?), 3 of which are linked but the 4th isn't - I knwo that there are lots of people who didn't like the 4th at all (mainly because it wasn't linked to the first 3 that she wrote) but I quite liked it. Again, there woudln't be enough interest to keep a forum alive just for that 4th series...

Weird Harold
09-20-2010, 09:25 AM
um. But then who decides which series are "worth following" at TL?

The people who generate 100 on-topic posts regarding that series in the base "other series discussions" forum. (this forum)

Perhaps "universe" would be a better description than "series" -- The Ring of Fire series, for example is set in the "Assiti Shards" universe and there are just a couple of other novels set in that universe that aren't direct sequels to 1632.

The "Assiti Shards" universe is a good example of why dividing by author wouldn't work; there are at least five major contributors and maybe as many as thirty or forty minor contributors to the anthologies.

There are some authors who don't do collaborations or multiple long series, like GGK, and there's no reason that they couldn't generate sufficient interest for a sub-forum under the author's name, but there is equally no particular reason that any particular author of that type couldn't be covered by occassional shorter threads as has been the case for GGK on the non-wot forum.

PS: Robin Hobb's fantasy works might not seem to be, but they are all in the same universe -- The Farseer Universe, I suppose, because that trilogy came first, but I don't know that it has an official name

Davian93
09-20-2010, 09:59 AM
George R.R. Martin (if he ever continues writing)

The Disney guy? He writes too?

yks 6nnetu hing
09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
The people who generate 100 on-topic posts regarding that series in the base "other series discussions" forum. (this forum)

then why didn't you say that you agree with T's proposal? because that's how it will end up you know. Sanderson books will get 100 posts together first, then Tam will (maybe) still be active enough to create a separate forum and the rest will just float around forever šause everyone will think that that was how it was supposed to be. Or am I too cynical?

also, no, the Soldier Son trilogy of Hobb's takes place in a whoooole different universe. Reminded me of Wild West a bit. Had guns and shamans and stuff. Not even close to any of the Farseer stuff, even with the glipses we get to see of the Southern and more technically advanced lands.

Terez
09-20-2010, 04:09 PM
then why didn't you say that you agree with T's proposal?
Because WH never agrees with anything I say, ever. On principle, apparently.

Weird Harold
09-20-2010, 06:56 PM
then why didn't you say that you agree with T's proposal? because that's how it will end up you know.

No, I don't know that is how it will end up. It may well end up that way, but if it is because of participation rather than fiat, then that's cool.

To be honest, I suspect that even Brandon is going to fall short of the "100 on-topic posts" mark, since the only series most of us can agree on is the WOT. :D (Plus many of the series worth a sub-forum of their own already have fan sites and fan forums already established.)

I had forgotten about the soldier son trilogy(?) since the first book bored me spitless and I didn't bother with any of the rest.

Terez
09-20-2010, 07:14 PM
To be honest, I suspect that even Brandon is going to fall short of the "100 on-topic posts" mark, since the only series most of us can agree on is the WOT. :D
Maybe that's so with the old-timers at Theoryland, but I think not so much with the newer crew. A lot of them read Brandon's books first, and are cross-over WoT fans, just as many WoT fans are cross-over Brandon fans.

WoT is tying up, Malazan is tying up, GRRM is disillusioned with his fandom, etc. And I don't know about most Theorylanders, but I feel like I have enough forums to check every day. I've stopped checking Malazan months ago and I really miss it but I don't have time for it (and I never really posted much about the books there...partly because the series seemed like it wasn't really going anywhere so there was no point trying to figure it out).

Anyway, I have a feeling other WoT fans are the same - Brandon's finishing WoT, so it seems logical to me to discuss his books here. I might be interested in contributing to a Wiki, but I'd rather not branch out to yet another forum. I'm trying to at least somewhat keep up with four WoT forums at the moment, and I'm also subscribed to the pertinent WoT threads at Malazan and Westeros (though I'm not sure why really). :D

Edited because I meant to add that Malazan has always pretty much played this by ear. For a long time, it was just Other Fantasy, then they added some subforums including one for WoT/Sanderson (lumped together even there, but that's unavoidable at the moment) and renamed it Other Literature. But they are a much bigger forum than this one, and even those subforums are fairly slow most of the time. But Malazan has no real connections to other series like WoT has to Brandon.

Nazbaque
09-21-2010, 03:11 AM
I say it again: Discworld. 38 books so far. Lots of laughs. Lots of philosophy behind the laughs. Even more laughs behind the philosophy. Jokes so well hidden you have to read the books again and again and again to catch them all. While you look for them you may find answers to these questions: Why aren't wizards allowed to have sex? Where the dragons came from? How did Dwarfs and Trolls manage to attack each other from ambush at Koom Valley? What happens to a volcano goddess when the world moves on? What is being a witch all about?

Weird Harold
09-21-2010, 05:50 AM
I say it again: Discworld. 38 books so far. Lots of laughs. Lots of philosophy behind the laughs. Even more laughs behind the philosophy. Jokes so well hidden you have to read the books again and again and again to catch them all. While you look for them you may find answers to these questions: Why aren't wizards allowed to have sex? Where the dragons came from? How did Dwarfs and Trolls manage to attack each other from ambush at Koom Valley? What happens to a volcano goddess when the world moves on? What is being a witch all about?
The pun-ishing humor of Discworld certainly wears better than the puns of Xanth. :D

Youcan add at least one Discworld movie, BTW; Bilious, the Oh-god of hangovers, is my favorite character of Hogfather (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765458/). (well, next to Mort and his grandaughter Susan.)

Indagator
09-21-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd love to see Theorylanders sink their teeth into Gene Wolfe, especially the Solar Cycle...
________
easyvape vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/easy-vape)

Ishara
09-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Quite honestly, I fail to see why we can't simply start a thread about a series or book that we like here in this very forum and call it a day - why do we need sub-fora?

I'm not a BS cross-over fan (yet. maybe.) so I suppose that makes me an oldtimer (and my bday just around the corner, this is dreadful news T), but even I know how to use the "search" function for particular threads within a forum!

Let's just do that and wait to see what happens. If it needs cleaning up, then the cleaning up will happen! ;)

Tamyrlin
09-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Quite honestly, I fail to see why we can't simply start a thread about a series or book that we like here in this very forum and call it a day - why do we need sub-fora?

I'm not a BS cross-over fan (yet. maybe.) so I suppose that makes me an oldtimer (and my bday just around the corner, this is dreadful news T), but even I know how to use the "search" function for particular threads within a forum!

Let's just do that and wait to see what happens. If it needs cleaning up, then the cleaning up will happen! ;)

I agree that would be the easiest - that would be the way to go if it wasn't likely that each thread would be a spoiler as someone reads down the list of threads. At the very least, if there are sub forums or some heirarchy, readers don't have to be that careful.

I guess I could request that users use the book, author as thread titles, but that's kind of lame.

yks 6nnetu hing
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I agree that would be the easiest - that would be the way to go if it wasn't likely that each thread would be a spoiler as someone reads down the list of threads. At the very least, if there are sub forums or some heirarchy, readers don't have to be that careful.

I guess I could request that users use the book, author as thread titles, but that's kind of lame.

or put a "there be spoilers here, enter at own risk" alert on the whole forum? bit redundant for the regulars maybe but I'm sure there are some people who only now decided to read the Harry Potter books and thougtht to google around and see if people like it, stumble on TL and have their eyes bleed from all the spoilers :eek:

Tamyrlin
09-22-2010, 09:55 AM
or put a "there be spoilers here, enter at own risk" alert on the whole forum? bit redundant for the regulars maybe but I'm sure there are some people who only now decided to read the Harry Potter books and thougtht to google around and see if people like it, stumble on TL and have their eyes bleed from all the spoilers :eek:

Maybe I'll go the Author route and then stop there and have anyone discuss any works by that author.

Does that work? Of course, there will be the general section for any discussion, and I can add authors as needed - just decide as discussion increases for a particular author we can give it its own sub-forum.

One Armed Gimp
09-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Its a shame the Kingkiller Chronicle will only be 3 books, I think Patrick Rothfus does a great job of telling a story.

Ishara
09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Great plan! See? I'm agreeable.

Zanguini
09-22-2010, 12:18 PM
a vote for jim butcher
dresden files

Jokeslayer
09-22-2010, 01:36 PM
I doubt any of the rest of them will garner all that much discussion here (though I could be wrong).

I think that discussion on a regular basis is the important thing. The release of the latest whoever book might generate discussion, but if it's only going to get discussion for a week or maybe a month, does it really need its own forum?

Terez
09-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I think that discussion on a regular basis is the important thing. The release of the latest whoever book might generate discussion, but if it's only going to get discussion for a week or maybe a month, does it really need its own forum?
Exactly. I'm judging this by other forums I attend that have sub-forums in their 'other books' forum. Even the busier ones have a hard time keeping action in a sub-forum for a specific author or series. We are far from busy.

I'm actually thinking that a sub-forum in here for Brandon's books would be bad. Better to give him a forum of his own that is near the top of the forum in the same division as the WoT discussion forums, or right under it, and to have another forum for all other books in the section with non-WoT. That's just my opinion and I'm sure some old-timers would find it strange, but the fandom really has changed a lot since Brandon took over, and also, a lot of our recent success is due to Brandon's support of us.

Terez
09-22-2010, 02:19 PM
lol, I see now that Tam had the same thought about a separate forum being better than a sub-forum. But I don't think either forum should be buried way down here.

Jokeslayer
09-22-2010, 02:20 PM
I didn't even realise this was here until I followed the link to the poll in non-wot.

Sarevok
09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
I didn't even realise this was here until I followed the link to the poll in non-wot.

Same here.

Basel Gill
09-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Its a shame the Kingkiller Chronicle will only be 3 books, I think Patrick Rothfus does a great job of telling a story.

I agree, but it looks like he's pulling a GRRM. God only knows when the series (even if it is only 3 books) will be done. Wise Man's Fear is supposed to be out in Spring and given his writing pace, I'd almost guess 2013 or 2014 for the last book...:(

FollowYourMuse
09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Patrick Rothfuss, Name of the Wind was fantastic, and eagerly awaiting book 2 The wisemans fears!

Karen Miller, I have read all her books so far, Would enjoy discussing the Godspeaker series, and also her KingMaker Kingbreaker books.

FollowYourMuse
09-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I agree, but it looks like he's pulling a GRRM. God only knows when the series (even if it is only 3 books) will be done. Wise Man's Fear is supposed to be out in Spring and given his writing pace, I'd almost guess 2013 or 2014 for the last book...:(

I have waited much longer over my life, for many books, We have become spoiled with the pace that writers like Brandon release their books.

I would much rather wait years for then next book than read something that feels as if the book is only written to be published and finished.

HunterOTS
11-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Is there a resolution to this? There are some series I'd like to discuss with WOT fans, especially because I think it will be interesting to discuss them with people who don't have an obvious bias towards them. For instance, I'm a fan of Raymond E. Feist's series' but I don't discuss them often with the hardcore fans because many of them think its the best thing since Tolkien and I'd like to see what other people think about some issues such as whether certain events in the books were influenced by previous works or if they "stole" ideas. I guess the discussion might not be long enough to substantiate a forum of its own but it would be an interesting thread.

Madgod
11-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Ok, I have to bite; can I have a brief description of Raymond E. Feist's series? I'm looking for new authors to read and never heard of him before.
And I've been surprised there hasn't been more discussion of ASoIaF, although I guess it might just be there's nothing more to say until/if the next book comes out in the series. It makes me glad I only just started reading that series.

HunterOTS
11-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I feel like an ass because I'm now talking about Feist in two threads on here so I apoligize for that, I just happened to someone mention him in another thread so I responded to that.

A brief description would be that a world where magic exists but in a lesser form is invaded by people from another world that uses a greater form of magic by way of a rift. The world with the lesser magic has to rise up and defend themselves against these invaders at great disadvantage. I won't include any spoilers but as you can tell by the subsequent 25 novels set in the world the story continues at great length. I understand that a volume of novels that large might seem a massive undertaking, but several of the side series don't need to be read to follow the main plotline.

As for A Song of Fire and Ice, I waited a few years after A Feast for Crows came out to start reading it, thinking the series will continue, and here I am a few years later, disgustedly waiting for the next book. I grow a little more bitter about that by the day. Especially because I don't think Martin is committed enough to wrap up all of the story lines he has going in his POVs. He seems to be sending the message that he doesn't care what his fans want. We'll see if the HBO series can reinvigorate my love for the series.

Madgod
11-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the description,that was really all I wanted. I'll have to look it up now and at least try the series. I'm not really bugged by long series (obviously) and it sounds interesting enough to keep my fantasy fix under control :)

HunterOTS
11-06-2010, 08:48 PM
It's definitely worth checking out, even if you don't go beyond the original Riftwar Trilogy. If you decide to continue, there are a couple different ways to go about reading the subsequent series so let me know if you want a suggestion.

mikeysdca
01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Some while back I found a wiki about that series that someone had started and then abandoned as an empty shell, floating like the Marie Celeste. I've done a bit of work on it, and someone might want to look at it.
http://memorysorrowthorn.wikia.com/wiki/Memory_Sorrow_and_Thorn_Wiki