PDA

View Full Version : Hello Theoryland!

Tenesmus
09-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Thought I would officially say, "hi" to everyone who reads these newbie introduction things.

I have been a WOT fan since 1990. I was an enlisted marine serving in the First Gulf War, when I stumbled upon a Red Cross Care package filled with books. I picked up The Eye of the World, (large trade paper back version) and promptly threw it back in the box. A couple of minutes later, in a different box, I picked up the trade paper back, or it could have been an ARC, of The Great Hunt. I actually liked this one, and as I got past the cover art, I realized it was book two of a series and that I had just thrown Book One away a couple minutes ago. I went back to the first box frantically looking for the "blue" book. It took me a while, but I found it. Those two books kept me company through some rough times. I lent them to someone, who lent them to someone, and I never saw them again.

Fast forward a year, I am out of the marines, and I am dating a nice girl. We are walking through the mall and pass a book store. What do I see? The Dragon Reborn! I look at it for a minute, feel a bit geeky- being on a date and all. I tell her that I read the first two during the war, and they were pretty good- attempting to recover any coolness I may have just lost by dropping her hand and running into a bookstore.

A day later I came home from classes and there was the hardback of The Dragon Reborn waiting for me. She had bought it for me, and in fact it was the first thing she ever bought me. I still have it. We were married less than a year later and have been for the last 17+ years. TWOT has followed me through life ever since.

I was serving in Afghanistan when TGS was released last year. My wife bought it for me, had her brother get Brandon and Harriet sign it, and mailed it to me... some things never change :)

Sei'taer
09-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Well, since our greeter is on Maternity leave, I'll say hi and we'll wait for someone who knows about these things. Want a beer?

tworiverswoman
09-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Welcome to TL, Tenesmus. I do have to admit that the tendency of all the newest newbies to have unpronounceable names is starting to give me a headache... (No, yours isn't QUITE unpronounceable, but...)

I love your backstory, though - that's terrific. :)

Enjoy your new home and get comfortable posting where you like. We will provide a nice warm fire and marshmallows (no... not "marshmellons") soon, I'm sure ;)

Matoyak
09-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Wow, great intro story. Welcome to TL, Ten! (Though it sounds like you've always been a member, even without you knowing it...)
The straitjackets are to the left, insanity wards somewhere down the hall, and the crazy person on fire'll be here any minute.

I might or might not be back later with random questions about your person, such as a favorite book in the series, favorite character, least favorite book in the series, least favorite character, favorite flavor of beef jerky, y'know, important stuff.
or I could ask it in the guise of pretending to not ask it. Or something. Ah well. Have fun and all that :)

EDIT: Heh, Tru, his name is easy compared to some. (Mine, to some people, is probably harder :p)

Nazbaque
09-19-2010, 11:58 PM
We will provide a nice warm fire and marshmallows (no... not "marshmellons") soon, I'm sure ;)
That's my que.

*Sets himself on fire*

*Roasts marshmallows*

Welcome Ten!

You may call me Naz!

Tamyrlin
09-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I was serving in Afghanistan when TGS was released last year. My wife bought it for me, had her brother get Brandon and Harriet sign it, and mailed it to me... some things never change :)

Do you meet many soldiers that love the series but don't have loving family members sending them signed copies of the books? It would be cool to have some signed and sent to our troops that don't have access to them, but I've never heard of a specific group of WoT Troops. :)

yks 6nnetu hing
09-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Welcome Ten :)

Awesome story!

Cary Sedai
09-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Welcome, Ten!

~roast a few marshmellows over Naz~

~sprinkles fairy dust on Ten~

Wow I'm old! I was a Junior in HS during the first gulf war and then you had to stick that 17+ years in there... :p

Glad you joined us, though Zae might feel a little put out that all the newbs waited until the day she was scheduled to spawn the uhm, spawn of Zae. :p

looqas
09-21-2010, 01:16 AM
Tenesmus, that was one of the best real-life stories I've heard about for a while. How small things like a book can generate a treasured memory that lasts.

"Mom, what did dad do on your first date?"

"Well that's a funny thing and actually a part why he is are wearing dragon enameled belt buckle..."

ps. If you don't mind me asking is your wife into the series too?

Tenesmus
09-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Wow, great intro story. Welcome to TL, Ten! (Though it sounds like you've always been a member, even without you knowing it...)
The straitjackets are to the left, insanity wards somewhere down the hall, and the crazy person on fire'll be here any minute.

I might or might not be back later with random questions about your person, such as a favorite book in the series, favorite character, least favorite book in the series, least favorite character, favorite flavor of beef jerky, y'know, important stuff.
or I could ask it in the guise of pretending to not ask it. Or something. Ah well. Have fun and all that :)

EDIT: Heh, Tru, his name is easy compared to some. (Mine, to some people, is probably harder :p)

My Favorite Book(s) of the series is Book 4,5,6. It is when all the POV's split up, we started seeing a lot of the world, and getting more involved with minor characters. The books were dense and oh so good, no filler, all killer

My Favorite Character(s): Mat, Nynaeave, Verin

Least Favorite Book(s): I firmly believe that TPOD, WH, and COT could have been the best single book in the series; vice three mediocre ones. I will at some point get on BitTorrent, download the text and edit them down to a single 1000 page book of awesomeness...

Least Favorite Character: Elayne...

Oberto Peppered Beef Jerky rocks!

I was a strident Moiraine killed Asmo supporter for a very long time... still wish it to be so, but the evidence really points to Greandal

Tenesmus
09-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Tenesmus, that was one of the best real-life stories I've heard about for a while. How small things like a book can generate a treasured memory that lasts.

"Mom, what did dad do on your first date?"

"Well that's a funny thing and actually a part why he is are wearing dragon enameled belt buckle..."

ps. If you don't mind me asking is your wife into the series too?

Unfortunately my wonderful wife is not into the series. I think the size of it intimidates her :eek: (the books...) She says she will start when it is done

Tenesmus
09-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Do you meet many soldiers that love the series but don't have loving family members sending them signed copies of the books? It would be cool to have some signed and sent to our troops that don't have access to them, but I've never heard of a specific group of WoT Troops. :)

I had my own version of a Great Hunt in Afghanistan. Every time I went to a different Fire Base, I would rummage through their book collection for paperbacks of WOT. It took me about 6 months to get nine of them, but then some total stranger on TOR.com mailed me the other two paperbacks. Her handle was "kab1" Very nice person. Thanks! :)