PDA

View Full Version : Which Author(s) Books Do You Want to Discuss?

Tamyrlin
09-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Many have expressed a desire to discuss Sanderson's work. As to other authors, I'd like to know how much support there is for other authors before I create that author his/her own sub-forum. Therefore - we need a poll.

Btw - I realize there are some series where there are multiple authors. For now I think it is worthwhile to go down the author route, but I'm not against polling specific series/universes too.

Ishara
09-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Okay, so I voted (obvs), but still not convinced that we need seperate fora for seperate authors beyond BS...

Whatever you decide to do, oh benevolent dictator, is alright by me!

Tamyrlin
09-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Okay, so I voted (obvs), but still not convinced that we need seperate fora for seperate authors beyond BS...

Whatever you decide to do, oh benevolent dictator, is alright by me!

I think you are right, but I'm just making sure. It will be a matter of many fans saying they want to discuss another author's work and then testing it out.

Sarevok
09-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I voted other author. Did you leave out Brandon because it's too obvious or did you forget him?
Otherwise, no books I'd like to discuss.

Edit: nevermind the above...

Crispin's Crispian
09-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I voted for Erikson, but I'm not sure there's too much of a point now. He's finished and will publish the final book in January, though still plans on a few ancillaries.

I think Sanderson could potentially become the main forum once the new series is in full swing and we're "done" with WoT.

Sei'taer
09-22-2010, 12:42 PM
I voted for Erikson, but I'm not sure there's too much of a point now. He's finished and will publish the final book in January, though still plans on a few ancillaries.

I think Sanderson could potentially become the main forum once the new series is in full swing and we're "done" with WoT.

I voted for all of them. to be frank, I enjoy reading the discussions more than posting about them. I don't really have a lot to say about theories, but I enjoy talking about different books and whats good or bad about them.

Take Mercedes Lackey, can't stand to read her stuff. It drags and it's boring to me, but if you like it, then I'm ok with it being discussed. Heck, you might hit on something that makes me decide to give her a try again. Not Janny Wurts though...never Janny Wurts. I have a tattoo on the inside of my eyelids, when I close them I can read "Just Say NO to Janny Wurts."

Davian93
09-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I want some hardcore David Eddings theories:

1. How was Garion so oblivious?

2. What would happen if a Cherek ran into a Thalesian?

3. Durnik meets Kurik: Does the world implode?

4. What's up with Beldin anyway?

5. Where's Zedar and what's he up to?

~shocked that I remmeber that much actually~

Anaiya Sedai
09-22-2010, 04:38 PM
I voted, but I kinda agree with Ishara, that we probably don't need a sub-section for each author. I think a simple format of Author: Book title: Thread title should probably work quite well, and then you won't end up with a bunch of fora that hardly get used :)

Weird Harold
09-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Therefore - we need a poll.

Aside from the fact that some authors are prolific and have a plethora of series and standalone books -- Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes LAckey, Eric Flint, etc -- what we need is participation, not polls.

Participation both demonstrates true interest (as opposed to a "Must Answer Poll" reflex) as well as self-selecting between author, series, universe or some other grouping.

I'd be more inclined to participate in a genere-based "Space Opera" forum than in separate E.E 'Doc' Smith, Honoverse, John Ringo, 'John Carter of Mars,' etc, sub-divisions, if there was enough other posters interested in discussing that particular sub-genre of Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Participation could also lead in directions we haven't considered -- I'm not a big fan of 'Horse$#t and Holsters' but some SF and Fantasy (time travel, alternate timeline, etc) cross-over into Western fiction; fantasy series like The Dresden Files and Glen Cook's Garret, PI, and SF Series like Asimov's Foundation series, cross-over into the Mystery genre.

Tenesmus
09-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Have finished reading Joe Abercrombie's four books. Gritty, funny, violent... loved them all

Read The Warded Man recently thought it was pretty good

nameless
09-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Some authors are incredibly prolific but their stuff is so straightforward that there isn't much left to discuss other than "I really liked it" or "I'm not such a fan." Eddings, for example. Other authors are a lot deeper but haven't put out such a huge volume. I don't think either kind would really need their own separate forum. They'd work just fine as individual threads. Authors like Butcher or Pratchett (or Zelazny, who wasn't a choice but should have been) have a lot of books out that either contain mystery plots or allusions to folklore or stuff that's just straight-up trippy and confusing, and I think those are the ones that lend themselves to a lot of discussion.

Weird Harold
09-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Have finished reading Joe Abercrombie's four books. Gritty, funny, violent... loved them all

Read The Warded Man recently thought it was pretty good
The sequel to the Warded Man is pretty good, too.

Which brings up a separate forum that IS needed; New Books/Authors and Reviews.

Those discussions need to be separated because they tend to be spoilerish -- it's hard to write a decent review without being at least a bit spoilerish. New books in established series or by established authors would generally go in more specific forums, but we need a place to promote less-established authors and new books/series, like the Warded Man.

Terez
09-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Dunno about that; it's easy enough to mark threads as containing spoilers, and it's more effective to promote new authors in a forum that people are actually likely to check regularly rather than a sub-forum that won't get much traffic.

DahLliA
09-22-2010, 08:50 PM
voted for Erikson. but I agree with Crispin's point.

seeing as the Crippled God will be the last "main" book I don't think it needs it's own forum. then again Erikson might start a new series after the Malazan books though.

Ishara
09-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Let's just play it by ear and see how it goes!

Uno
09-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Let's just play it by ear and see how it goes!

That's not how we do it, Ishara. We have to have pointless arguments first.

pops taer
09-22-2010, 10:17 PM
I actually agree with someone on here. A single forum with seperate threads, I think much like we do here. Only problem I see is who/whom is gonna select the author/series/book to 'discuss.' Maybe a list to start with Pops giving Tam authority to select? Or a list of 3 or 4 that we vote on then start down that list based on popular vote. I'm game, even if I don't go there often, cause I don't read as fast as you guys now. My night work and 10 to 12 hour shifts really throws a crimp into my reading time. But we do need to begin to work toward keeping this group together someway, somehow.

Brita
09-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Basically just Sanderson for me. I have no burning desire to discuss any others, despite being a big fan of a few of them.

Weird Harold
09-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Dunno about that; it's easy enough to mark threads as containing spoilers, and it's more effective to promote new authors in a forum that people are actually likely to check regularly rather than a sub-forum that won't get much traffic.
Both approaches work. I think having someplace to go to look specifically for something/somebody new (as opposed to continuations of established series/authors) is more useful than picking new recommendations out of the clutter of general discussions. If we're not going to segregate and separate certain discussions from the general muddle, why bother with an "other literature" forum in the first place? Just put everything non-wot into a single non-wot forum and be done with it.

Terez
09-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Well, a certain amount of separation is useful, but it can become too much separation easily.

Tamyrlin
09-23-2010, 01:30 AM
One "Other" Books General Board, with a Sanderson forum will be just fine for now. The poll is to get people down to this new forum, know it's here, think about discussing other books, so when they want to they come here and throw a thread down. No offense to the Non Wot board, but it's ridiculously full of the most ridiculous crap - it's like if every post was a Asmodean's Demise post on the General WoT board, you know, the serious ones and the making fun of the series ones, but it always comes back to Bush/Obama/Asmodean...whatever his name is.

So, we are going to stick with these boards for now. If some author or series begins to fill up the General "Other" Books Discussion forum then I might consider moving it into it's own area.

Mort
09-23-2010, 03:18 AM
One "Other" Books General Board, with a Sanderson forum will be just fine for now. The poll is to get people down to this new forum, know it's here, think about discussing other books, so when they want to they come here and throw a thread down. No offense to the Non Wot board, but it's ridiculously full of the most ridiculous crap - it's like if every post was a Asmodean's Demise post on the General WoT board, you know, the serious ones and the making fun of the series ones, but it always comes back to Bush/Obama/Asmodean...whatever his name is.

So, we are going to stick with these boards for now. If some author or series begins to fill up the General "Other" Books Discussion forum then I might consider moving it into it's own area.

If TL is good at something it's thinking and analyzing, OVER-thinking and OVER-analyzing :)

I think this is the way to go. No need to complicate things.

Daekyras
09-23-2010, 04:40 AM
No Tad Williams Love?

Davian93
09-23-2010, 06:16 AM
No Tad Williams Love?

So much for my Sparhawk Killed Asmo theory...

Daekyras
09-23-2010, 10:01 AM
So much for my Sparhawk Killed Asmo theory...

Ha, if Sparhawk had killed him we would have had no doubt. Eddings isn't known for his...subtlety...

Seriously though, I would have thought Williams would be right up the street of people here. Ah well, have to settle for Malazan chat I suppose. Oh, and Way of Kings is interesting...

Ishara
09-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Daekyras, you can talk about whatever you want! Just start a thread for Tad Williams and go! :)

tanaww
09-23-2010, 04:55 PM
I actually agree with someone on here. A single forum with seperate threads, I think much like we do here. Only problem I see is who/whom is gonna select the author/series/book to 'discuss.'

I'm lazy. I didn't read it all. I could see a "We Read Other Stuff Too" forum where anyone could introduce the book they've read and open a discussion. If nothing else, it points other people to good books.

Terez
09-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I see no need to be so strict about it.

Frenzy
09-23-2010, 09:28 PM
I want some hardcore David Eddings theories:

1. How was Garion so oblivious?
He's the archetype of the farmboy-turned-king/world savior who's a frickin' idiot and has to be led by the hand to glory/sacrifice.

or he's blond. your choice.
2. What would happen if a Cherek ran into a Thalesian?
They'd fight over an amazingly elaborate method to determine who's turn it was to cook dinner.
3. Durnik meets Kurik: Does the world implode?
Depends on how much beer is involved
4. What's up with Beldin anyway?
he got the hot chick with the foul mouth. what do YOU think is up with him?
5. Where's Zedar and what's he up to?
Retconning Chamdar in the prequel

Ozymandias
09-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Get in on the Gene Wolfe action. Man, it was a chore reading those things. So much went on I still can't figure out, the man is a brilliant, brilliant genius, and for my money the greatest living author alive.

Except Jean Bottero. That man has a way with words

dominominic
10-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Get in on the Gene Wolfe action. Man, it was a chore reading those things. So much went on I still can't figure out, the man is a brilliant, brilliant genius, and for my money the greatest living author alive.

Except Jean Bottero. That man has a way with words

The Severian books were awesome but some of his other stuff is underwhelming.

Belazamon
11-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Gotta say, I doubt extra fora are actually needed for anything beyond Sanderson at this point. I suppose I wouldn't be too sad if you introduced a Stephen Donaldson forum, though. :D