PDA

View Full Version : Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman - Death Gate Cycle

Tamyrlin
09-23-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm sad that this world has never been revisited...maybe I'll send them an email or something. This is one of my favorite series ever - I go back and read it once every four or five years. Haplo has to be one of my favorite characters and it seems like they could have done something.

I had to go over and read the Wiki article on the series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_Gate_Cycle) - of course, don't read this if you haven't read the series, as it will ruin what is are terribly fun and enjoyable mysteries that are revealed throughout.

And didn't realize until I read an interview with these two that "The Deathgate series ranks second to Dragonlance and has sold millions of copies." Kind of interesting.

Anyway - considering how often they've visited and revisited Dragonlance characters...they need to go back to this world. What's great...I can't remember how the books end, so it's time for a reread methinks.

Mort
09-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Ah, I've almost forgotten about this series. What was the Sartan called who was the main character (besides Haplo I guess)?

I liked the books, although somewhere in the middle it got a bit boring, a few of the story arcs I didn't like. I did like Zifnab a lot though :) They poke so much fun at Earth literature, especially with their own series Dragonlance (which I have not read though).

Hm... ending. Didn't the Sartan which I cannot remember the name of be able to turn into a dragon like creature and they defeated Xar, in some way I do not remember and then they all lived happily ever after? :)

Heh, smilies aren't covered up in spoiler tags, apparently. :)

mokaloka99
11-11-2010, 05:24 PM
This is one of my favorite series as well. His name was Aflred if i remember correctly. I was always kind of disappointed that there was never any prequels/sequels, etc..

Book 3 is probably the book you are referring to. The whole underground cavern world was kind of a drag. Wasnt interested in any of the new characters in that one but it was an important book because of what is hidden on that world, and sets up the end of the series...

Jonai
11-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm shocked to find other Death Gate Cycle fans. Haplo was definitely cool but I think Alfred was my favorite. I had always hoped they'd do a prequel or something with the "sundering" because it seemed interesting. I should do a reread too :)

jana
11-19-2010, 06:07 AM
I loved the first 3 or 4 books but I got bored and stopped. Maybe I'll try it again. The part I got bored at was when it was the two enemy-type guys together.

Probably the book after they were with the dwarves. My memory is bad.

professorskar
03-07-2012, 06:03 PM
I always liked the dog.

Zombie Sammael
05-06-2012, 07:43 AM
I remember playing the video game of this years ago. It was an adventure game but had nothing like the complexity I understand the books to have. I've been trying to track down copies for yonks but can't find them anywhere. I wonder if they're available on Kindle...

Hugh the Hand
09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Obviously a Phenomenal series.

Whizbang
10-03-2012, 02:37 PM
They are available on Kindle. I am reading them now. I love this series. I prefer it much more than Dragonlance. Haplo was cool, but I liked the Mensch characters (probably why book 3 dragged for you, mokaloka99). Pryan was probably my favorite world, though I did enjoy the Gegs in Arainus. Celestra mensch weren't quite as interesting as the other two worlds, but the focus on that book was mostly the Sartan and the introduction of the Serpent/Snakes.

Hugh the Hand was my favorite of all the characters.

My one gripe with the series is that, for being demi-gods, the Patryns/Sartan are pretty weak. I just imagined Raistlin waltzing in and pwning the lot of them. When Haplo fights the Titan? Yeah, he was out-classed in strength, but the runes were simple and he should have been able to out-magic them. And why was hand-to-hand combat even used in the Labyrinth? If Patryn's are powerful enough to survive dropping an entire castle on top of them (Kledus guesses so to Haplo at one point in book three), then how is a simple non-magical sword/claw in the hands of a Chaodin ever going to hurt one (as in the case of Haplo at the last gate)? Supposedly the chaodin, and other creatures, knew the weak spots in the magic protection... So, why not change the weak spots around a bit? Why not tattoo on a spell that creates a skin-tight shell that protects the body from all but the strongest of forces?

And Patryn vs Sartan? Patryn every time. They are covered in self-activating runes. They do not need to actively cast those basic spells of protection. For the more complex stuff, sure. But a Sartan would need to actively sing any and all spells. So, a Sartan could be killed by surprise even by a mensch, whereas a Patryn would need to be over-powered.

Anyway, great series. Zifnab was great. The Serpent/Snakes were a great evil to fight. I liked the rune magic nullifying effect of the pseudo-water on Celestra (though as I said, the Patryns/Sartans hardly needed a handicap to make them vulnerable).