PDA

View Full Version : The Shards, Adonalism, Cosmere (Major Spoilers, All Books)

FollowYourMuse
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
We know that there is a major Cosmere Story hidden behind all of the non-YA books and worlds of Brandon Sanderson. Including the re-appearing Hoid.

Who is the Shardholder that is being written to in the chapter headers on TWoK? is this Hoid/WIT? writing them?

nameless
09-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Wait, what else has Hoid appeared in? All I've read are Elantris, Mistborn, and Warbreaker and I don't remember him from any of those. Though I guess I wasn't paying all that much attention when I read them.

WinespringBrother
09-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Wait, what else has Hoid appeared in? All I've read are Elantris, Mistborn, and Warbreaker and I don't remember him from any of those. Though I guess I wasn't paying all that much attention when I read them.

Check this link:

http://www.burntoutcomic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hoid

Artur pendragon
09-24-2010, 04:46 AM
Including the re-appearing Hoid.

Nice catch!:) I have read all BS books and never caught on.:eek:

FollowYourMuse
09-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Nice catch!:) I have read all BS books and never caught on.:eek:

I caught the Hoid reference After Elantris and Mistborn.
Was not sure if at first if it was just a re-used name or something else. But the simmilarities of the "god's personna's is one clue.

Elantris: World Sel ... Aona and Skai Killed by Odium - Mentioned dead by writer of letter in TWoK
(Are Seons the splintered Shard of Aona?)

Mistborn: World: Scadriel, Ruin and Preservation ( once held by Ati and Leras, now both held by Sazed.

epigraph of chapter 39 of Hero of Ages. The Mention of Adonalsium - that he knows nothing more than that name.

Warbreaker: Endowment ( need to read this again)

The Way of Kings: Roshar World: Roshar, So Far we know of Odium, and possibly "The Almighty" though that may not be a shardholder, or the true name?
Wit mentions the Name Adonalism, ( I can not remember page right now)

From a Barnes & Noble Q&A session with Brandon:

"Each of the 'Shardworlds' I've written in (Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings) exists with the same cosmology. All things exist on three realms--the spiritual, the cognitive, and the physical. What's going on here is an interaction between the three realms. I don't to bore you with my made up philosophy, but I do have a cohesive metaphysical reasoning for how my worlds and magic works. And there is a single plane of existence--called Shadesmar, the Cognative Realm--which connects them all.

You will never need to know any of this to read and enjoy my books, but there is an overarching story behind all of them, going on in the background. Adonalsium, Hoid, the origin of Ati, Leras, the Dor, and the Voice (from Warbreaker) are all tied up in this."

Also:

"Hoid is quite proficient at manipulating Shadesmar for his own ends."

The entire interview can be found here:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fantasy-Science-Fiction/Post-Questions-For-Brandon-Sanderson-Here/td-p/354645