PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding TheThree Oaths

Weatherwax
09-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi, I am new to this, so here go's. I keep reading that the three oaths are " graven on your bones". Does that mean if you had a ter'angreal similar to the one Mat had, you would be able to swear the three oaths and still remain free of them? Could it be a ter'angreal in the shape of a great serpent ring? Or is weave of saidin or the true power used on every BA sister before she swears or after she is released from the three oaths?

Also in TGS, Romanda swears that "I am not nor ever have been a darkfriend", to me all that proves is that she could have sworn to the Dark One after she attained the shawl. It seems that most BA view themselves as separate, above, or beyond normal Darkfriends. I am also thinking about Verin's journals "factions of darkfriends".
Also from Graendal in TSR "a new word will have to be created for what we are" clearly she didn't consider herself mortal, it's not mutch of a stretch for Messana to believe she is no mere Darkfriend.

I also am thinking of the loyalists searching the White Tower for BA. Think of the way that Talene was forced to " foreswear all oaths that bind", her reaction was to scream and cry apparently in intense agony. Now cut to the sisters in Egwene's camp, a mere hiss of pain. Does this mean that all they did was remove the Three oaths and no others? SO does this also mean that if you are Black Ajah and smart enough to find a hole so that you could give a suitably Aes Sedai answer to the implication that are you a darkfriend?
Does this mean that the oath taking process for the Black Ajah supersedes the Three Oaths while not removing them, allowing the ageless look without the other effects?

Weatherwax
09-26-2010, 06:10 PM
I posted this because Brandon Sanderson said we should be looking at ways to circumvent the Three Oaths so... please theorize to your hearts content.

WinespringBrother
09-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi, I am new to this, so here go's. I keep reading that the three oaths are " graven on your bones". Does that mean if you had a ter'angreal similar to the one Mat had, you would be able to swear the three oaths and still remain free of them? Could it be a ter'angreal in the shape of a great serpent ring? Or is weave of saidin or the true power used on every BA sister before she swears or after she is released from the three oaths?

Also in TGS, Romanda swears that "I am not nor ever have been a darkfriend", to me all that proves is that she could have sworn to the Dark One after she attained the shawl. It seems that most BA view themselves as separate, above, or beyond normal Darkfriends. I am also thinking about Verin's journals "factions of darkfriends".
Also from Graendal in TSR "a new word will have to be created for what we are" clearly she didn't consider herself mortal, it's not mutch of a stretch for Messana to believe she is no mere Darkfriend.

I also am thinking of the loyalists searching the White Tower for BA. Think of the way that Talene was forced to " foreswear all oaths that bind", her reaction was to scream and cry apparently in intense agony. Now cut to the sisters in Egwene's camp, a mere hiss of pain. Does this mean that all they did was remove the Three oaths and no others? SO does this also mean that if you are Black Ajah and smart enough to find a hole so that you could give a suitably Aes Sedai answer to the implication that are you a darkfriend?
Does this mean that the oath taking process for the Black Ajah supersedes the Three Oaths while not removing them, allowing the ageless look without the other effects?

Using a ter'angreal like Mat's foxhead medallion would prevent the 3 Oaths from taking effect, since they utilize a weave of Spirit, which would dissolve upon contact with the oath-taker.

Verin stated that she took new oaths when she joined the Shadow (TGS-ch 39). And Galina thought to herself of the trinity of oaths that replaced the 3 regular oaths (don't have the quote available and I'm out of searches for the month). Besides, Black sisters would not be able to do their jobs effectively if they could not speak untrue words.

btw, welcome to TL. Just a suggestion, this kind of thread would usually go on the general wot board.

Weatherwax
09-26-2010, 07:20 PM
First as I said I'm new. So I guess I'll just ask for fogiveness and not permission as to where I posted what I posted.
That being said I was more concerned by how one of the Forsaken or Black Ajah could deal with being forced to retake the Three Oaths. Thus my question do the Forsaken even consider themselves Darkfriends and do the Black Ajah consider themselves DarkFriends?

GonzoTheGreat
09-27-2010, 04:36 AM
I think that the BA does consider itself DF. We do not know about all the Forsaken, but Lanfear has said that she wasn't a DF, and she seemed sincere about that.
Whether or not Mesaana makes the same distinction between Darkfriends and Chosen is unknown.