PDA

View Full Version : Nantes, France - Utopiales 2010

ka243
09-28-2010, 08:37 AM
This stop is not officially part of the TofM Book tour but its pretty close to it chronologically.

Here are some details: The convention goes from Nov 10th to 14th and is located at:
La Cité Nantes Events Center
5 Rue de Valmy
44041 Nantes, France

Brandon's Event's Page currently says that he will be there on Nov 10th from 10am to 10pm. It also says "more details to follow later" Since the 10th is the first day of the convention, I'm not sure if this means he'll actually be there on that day or is just indicating the first day of the convention.

There's not a detailed program for this year on the site (yet), just some ideas of what sorts of activities will be available. Here's a summary for you:
* 40 000 visitors last year (total over the 5 days of the con)
* Literature: Panels and discussions with French and international authors
* Cinema: A short film competition (European competition and an International competition), A "retrospective" of films, children's films, special events (not specified)
* Comics (=BD): Presence of several comic authors and illustrators, Election of best science-fiction comic
* RPGs (=Jeux de role): Board games, card games, life-size games: Try out role playing and dive into the unvierse of your choice (for amateurs and experts)
* Art Exhibits (=Arts Plastiques): Drawing, Painting, illustrations, watch a robot make art.
* Asian Culture: Cosplay competition on November 14th, other activities to be communicated.
* Theatre: No information yet
* Kids day: November 12th
* Scientific encounters panel: Explore the frontier between science and fiction
* Evening activities, competitions: No info yet
* Tickets, information and contact: 7.5 € / day last year, will probably be similar this year
* Download last year's program (PDF) (http://http://www.utopiales.org/2009/IMG/pdf/Programme_Utopiales.pdf)

Edit: 2010 list of invited authors: http://lyonnes.blogspot.com/2010/09/la-liste-des-invites-utopiales.html

Nantes is about 4 hours away from Paris, where I live. Brandon would need to change flights in Paris in any case as there aren't direct flights from the USA to Nantes that don't go through Paris.

What I am hoping is that he will also stop in Paris to visit the city and do a book signing here. It would be a shame to fly through Paris and not see the city.

I wrote to Brandon to ask about doing a signing here and I have been in touch with an english Bookstore here that has a very good fantasy sci-fi section that is interested in inviting him. I think the turnout could be pretty good since its a very large city with a sizable anglophone community as well.

It would also be much easier for fans from the London area to come to Paris than to Nantes (You can go from Paris-London in about 2H15 mins by high speed train).

If he can't come to Paris itself, I might consider going down to the conference to see him if he will be there during the weekend. I would be happy to meet up with some of you in that case.

-Jonathan

lowlandr
10-05-2010, 04:18 AM
Thnx for the effort!!

could you keep us (me) posted on you progress about an extra signing in Paris.. If all works out I might take my SO for a long weekend Paris ;)
Seems like a fair deal for me :)

Nantes wont be doable for me.

Isabel
10-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Yeah keep us informed. I have been thinking about it, but not coming over for one day :)

ka243
10-06-2010, 07:08 AM
sorry guys, I haven't heard back from the bookstore yet. The one I contacted was WH Smith in Paris.

If you know any other bookstores here that might be interested in inviting brandon, especially someone that works there, we should try to have them write to brandon and orbit.

Peter mentionned that brandon wanted some time in Paris after the con, so there is probably a good chance he will come here. Whether there will be a signing is another question..

lowlandr
10-06-2010, 08:35 AM
sorry guys, I haven't heard back from the bookstore yet. The one I contacted was WH Smith in Paris.

If you know any other bookstores here that might be interested in inviting brandon, especially someone that works there, we should try to have them write to brandon and orbit.

Considering I'm Dutch (Isabel too) I would guess that you are our best bet... the closest thing I know to a bookstore in Paris are the books which can be bought in Disney World.

Peter mentionned that brandon wanted some time in Paris after the con, so there is probably a good chance he will come here. Whether there will be a signing is another question..

try to bribe him with some croissants and wooden shoes (for his wive/kids too) and a game of Magic... :D We'll throw in a pair for Peter too!!!

Isabel
10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Well, i was actually thinking of going to Nantes. If Brandon is there multiple days with multiple signings and I have the money and some other wot people are going to be there.

ka243
10-06-2010, 02:22 PM
try to bribe him with some croissants and wooden shoes (for his wive/kids too) and a game of Magic... :D We'll throw in a pair for Peter too!!!

Heh, are you on twitter? What's your ID? I'm so tweeting this.

ka243
10-07-2010, 07:50 AM
WOOT, hey you guys, it looks like brandon will be doing a signing at WH Smith in november in Paris. I create a specific thread about it since it will be a separate stop.

lowlandr
10-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Heh, are you on twitter? What's your ID? I'm so tweeting this.

I ain't on twitter, but feel free to post it there...:D

WOOT, hey you guys, it looks like brandon will be doing a signing at WH Smith in november in Paris. I create a specific thread about it since it will be a separate stop.

that would be too nice :D

:eek: damn it... now I'm gonna need shoesizes :D

Isabel
10-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Can anyone who actually speaks french email the convention and asks for the program of Brandon?

I am thinking of going.

BTW who else is thinking about going there?

ka243
10-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Isabel,
Request sent to the festival for brandon's schedule and the program of the festival overall.

I'm very surprised that this info is still not on their site less than a month from the con's beginning...

I probably won't be able to go to Nantes, but will definately be going to the Paris signing.

ka243
11-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Brandon just posted his schedule at the con on his website. It looks like he will have a lot more time at the con than at the signing (events over multiple days):

I hope they have a good translator for him at the panels... :).

Date: 11.10.10 Time: 6:30 pm-1:13 pm
Place: Utopiales, Festival International de Science-Fiction de Nantes
Address: La Cité Nantes Events Center
5 Rue de Valmy
44041 Nantes, France
Type: Convention
schedule: November 10th through 14th.

Wednesday Nov 10
18:30–19:30 Soirée d'inauguration

Thursday Nov 11
13:00–14:00 Panel: Rencontre avec Brandon Sanderson (Meeting with Brandon Sanderson) Room: Espace Shayol
14:00–15:00 Book signing
16:00–17:00 Book signing
17:30–18:30 Book signing

Friday Nov 12
12:00–13:00 Book signing
15:30–16:30 Panel: La guerre : une question de frontières ? (War: A Question of frontiers?) Room: Bar de Madame Spock
16:30–17:30 Book signing
18:00–19:00 Panel: Aux frontières du vivant et du visible (At the frontier of the living and the visible) Room: Espace Shayol
19:00–19:30 Prix Julia Verlanger (Julia Verlanger prize) Room: Bar de Madame Spock

Saturday Nov 13
10:00–11:00 Panel: Fantasy, une littérature cartographiée? (Fantasy, a mapped literature?) Room: Espace Shayol
11:00–12:00 Book signing
16:00–17:00 Book signing

Sunday Nov 14
12:30–13:30 Book signing

Tuesday Nov 16
WHSmith, Paris, France

Time: 7:00 pm-9:00 pm
Place: WH Smith
Address: 248, Rue de Rivoli
75001 Paris Mo Concorde
Phone: 01 44 77 88 99
Type: Signing

Terez
11-11-2010, 08:18 AM
It would be really nice if you guys could get Brandon to confirm a few things:

1. That Cyndane=Lanfear.
2. That Graendal killed Asmodean.
3. That Graendal killed him directly (as opposed to having gotten Slayer to do it for her).

GonzoTheGreat
11-11-2010, 10:05 AM
3. That Graendal killed him directly (as opposed to having gotten Slayer to do it for her).Neither. She used Compulsion on Aviendha.

ka243
11-15-2010, 09:34 AM
It would be really nice if you guys could get Brandon to confirm a few things:

1. That Cyndane=Lanfear.
2. That Graendal killed Asmodean.
3. That Graendal killed him directly (as opposed to having gotten Slayer to do it for her).

Wasn't there direct confirmation in the books somewhere that cyndane is definately lanfear?

Terez
11-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Wasn't there direct confirmation in the books somewhere that cyndane is definately lanfear?
Like I said, we have some stubborn hold-outs. Would be nice to have something official to put an end to that.

ka243
11-15-2010, 10:14 AM
I think its really hard to say she's not lanfear in spite of this evidence from wotfaq...

Cyndane's POV in [WH: 35, With The Choedan Kal, 641] clinches it:

"So he had found a woman to use the other access key. She would have faced the Great Lord - faced the Creator! - with him. She would have shared the power with him, let him rule the world at her side. And he had spurned her love, spurned her!"

From [TSR: 9, Decisions, 129]:
Lanfear, to Rand: "'You and I can rule the world together under the Great Lord, forever...Two great sa'angreal were made just before the end, one that you can use, one that I can. Far greater than that sword. Their power is beyond imagining. With those, we can challenge even...the Great Lord himself. Even the Creator!'"

And just in case you need more proof, we have another Cyndane POV [WH: 35, With the Choedan Kal, 648-649] in which she is shocked to discover that Alivia "was stronger than Cyndane had been before the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn held her!"

What I'm more curious about is how the DO got cyndane out of there and how did lanfear become cyndane and why she got mindtrapped.

Tamyrlin
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Did anyone did an English write-up of the event(s)?

Isabel
11-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I haven't seen anything yet. Perhaps we see something after the signing tonight.

ka243
11-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi, the paris signing is tomorrow. I wasn't at the con and I don't know anyone who was, but I gather that brandon won some kind of award while he was there for best translated fantasy novel for mistborn 1.

http://www.elbakin.net/edition/13315-Brandon-Sanderson-recoit-son-prix-Elbakinnet

Last chance to send me any questions that have been bugging you :).

HunterOTS
11-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Ask if someone who has been imperfectly healed of severing by someone of the same sex can still be re-healed to their full capacity by someone of the opposite sex.

Terez
11-15-2010, 09:31 PM
They won't answer that. Promise. After a while you start to get a feel for which ones they won't answer, and this one is not even close to the 'maybe' line. Brandon has a standard answer for pretty much anything involving Healing, and it goes something like this: "Nynaeve thinks anything short of death should be able to be Healed, and she is on the right track."

Bryan
11-15-2010, 09:46 PM
They won't answer that. Promise. After a while you start to get a feel for which ones they won't answer, and this one is not even close to the 'maybe' line. Brandon has a standard answer for pretty much anything involving Healing, and it goes something like this: "Nynaeve thinks anything short of death should be able to be Healed, and she is on the right track."

I was rooting through the interview database a little while back and someone asked that question to Jordan. Can't remember when. Anywho, iirc he almost answered but went with a RAFO. It's so obvious that it better be addressed.

HunterOTS
11-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Bah I don't have any idea what they would answer. If I had a personal interview with BS I'd probably waste all of the questions.

sleepinghour
11-16-2010, 09:33 AM
I'd ask why the female access key melted but not the male one. And whether it'd have made any difference if a stronger woman (Lanfear, Alivia) had been the one to use the female access key.