PDA

View Full Version : TWOK Initial Thoughts (No Spoilers Please)

Davian93
10-04-2010, 08:01 AM
I bought TWOK last thursday (so much for a WoT reread I guess) and am about 150 pages into it. Here are my initial thoughts on it:

1. I was shocked that it was nearly 1000 pages...I wasn't expecting a book that big and it bodes well for the follow-ups. I wonder just how big the paperback will be. I have no idea what the wordcount it but I'm guessing its at least as long as FoH or LoC. Its quite the hefty book.

2. I'm amazed at how BS can create entire universes and magic systems repeatedly. Its impressive to me that he's come up with several different universes with completely different systems like he has.

3. Its pretty evident that he continues to grow as an author. You can definitely see a major progression in writing style/ability from Elantris to TWOK...I look forward to his future books.

The only criticism I had was the two prologues (even if one had a different name). It made the novel a bit difficult to sink into at first...especially since it took a little bit to realize what he was setting up and which storylines (Kaladin and Shallan) were the early focuses of the book. Its a very minor quibble though.

As I said, I'm not very far so please dont post any major spoilers.

WinespringBrother
10-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Are you the kind of person that tries to guess what events will happen based on foreshadowing like I am? I was able to guess a few correctly, but was way off on a few also. Definitely a lot of nice plot twists, especially the ending LOL

Davian93
10-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Are you the kind of person that tries to guess what events will happen based on foreshadowing like I am? I was able to guess a few correctly, but was way off on a few also. Definitely a lot of nice plot twists, especially the ending LOL

Oh Definitely (big part of my obsession with WoT actually).

I had to force myself to put hte book down around 1am last night. If I wasnt so bloody busy with stuff around my house/real life, I'd probably be a good 300-400 pages in at this point.

Instead, I moved about half a cord of wood into my garage from outside, I did a ton of winterizing to my house (cleaned window seals, moved ACs out of windows, brought cold weather clothing out of basement storage and vice versa with summer stuff, etc etc) So much to do, so little time.

Birgitte
10-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I thought WoK was a bit hard to sink into at first, but after you get through that, it was really great. I am glad I got the Kindle version though. I would HATE to carry that thing around.

JaconKin
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I got it about a week after it released and it took more 4 solid days of reading to finish the book.

I also have the same sentiments about at first finding it difficult to get into. Mainly because some unfamiliar terms get used early on with out much explanation as far as what they are and you just sort of have to accept them and move on with matters, e.g. Spren and cem I think are two examples.

amaresu
10-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I thought WoK was a bit hard to sink into at first, but after you get through that, it was really great. I am glad I got the Kindle version though. I would HATE to carry that thing around.

I was glad I got the epub version until I decided I wanted to look something up. Now I'm contemplating whether or not I can justify buying the hardcover. :rolleyes:

Birgitte
10-06-2010, 05:34 PM
What's epub? I know Kindle has a search function and most e-books do too. I don't recognize yours specifically, but I bet there's a way.

Davian93
10-06-2010, 05:45 PM
What's epub? I know Kindle has a search function and most e-books do too. I don't recognize yours specifically, but I bet there's a way.

Epub is the B & N Nook version of an ebook.

Birgitte
10-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Good to know. If they don't have a search function, I'm going to completely reaffirm my decision that the Nook blows.

Terez
10-06-2010, 08:50 PM
They do. CTRL-F, as always...

amaresu
10-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Epub is the B & N Nook version of an ebook.

Actually epub is the most common format for ebooks. It's just a format, like .doc, .txt or a PDF. I have an Astak Ezreader as it was way cheaper than a Kindle and supported more formats. It doesn't have internet capabilities, but it suits my purposes just fine.

Not the easiest thing to use when trying to find one quote in a 1000 page book admittedly.

Birgitte
10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
If you can open the book up on a computer screen, you ought to be able to use Ctrl + F to find anything you want. If you can't and are stuck with it only on your e-reader and it doesn't have any search stuff, I'm sorry. That's gotta suck.

Davian93
10-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Actually epub is the most common format for ebooks. It's just a format, like .doc, .txt or a PDF. I have an Astak Ezreader as it was way cheaper than a Kindle and supported more formats. It doesn't have internet capabilities, but it suits my purposes just fine.

Not the easiest thing to use when trying to find one quote in a 1000 page book admittedly.

I have a Kindle so that's pretty much all I ever deal with. I knew Nook used epub but little else.

One Armed Gimp
10-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Just out of curiosity, am I the only that cringes, slightly when I see the word "tempest" in his writing. If there is one he likes, it has to be that.

But on TWoK, yeah, BS's ability to create complete systems is cool. But what impresses me most is his story telling in this book. I think its much better than what I saw in the Mistborn series.

JaconKin
10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Shrugs, every writer has their favorite pet words that just sort of get incorporated into their style of writing.

He probably isn't even aware of it while he is writing. Sure could another word be used besides tempest perhaps. Yet, it is a good word though and at least in the world of TWOK it does have a certain place and right to be used.

Madgod
10-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I've never had a problem with tempest being used. There's a lot worse tendencies a writer can have after all. I didn't even notice it as much in TWOK, although I did only read it through once quickly.

Ozymandias
10-17-2010, 03:04 AM
I should start by saying that I read Mistborn and wasn't impressed. I thought Sanderson had a pretty awkward way of writing.

I thought that carried over quite noticeably to tGS. I was upset with some of his creative decisions, mainly the whole zombie/Hinderstap thing.

That said, I've since read that in ToM he's come into his own. And I am 300 pages into the Way of Kings, and believe it. While the Stormlight Archives are noticeably different from WoT, I have to say his quality of writing has really improved and I think this series has real promise, and because of that I am even more excited for Towers of Midnight.

I only give such a review because I was so unimpressed with his storytelling in Mistborn and the Gathering Storm.

Davian93
10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Shrugs, every writer has their favorite pet words that just sort of get incorporated into their style of writing.

He probably isn't even aware of it while he is writing. Sure could another word be used besides tempest perhaps. Yet, it is a good word though and at least in the world of TWOK it does have a certain place and right to be used.

Fun game: Read Frankenstein and take a shot every time Mary Shelley uses the word 'hitherto'.

You'd be passed out by page 50.

Davian93
10-17-2010, 03:38 PM
I should start by saying that I read Mistborn and wasn't impressed. I thought Sanderson had a pretty awkward way of writing.

I thought that carried over quite noticeably to tGS. I was upset with some of his creative decisions, mainly the whole zombie/Hinderstap thing.

That said, I've since read that in ToM he's come into his own. And I am 300 pages into the Way of Kings, and believe it. While the Stormlight Archives are noticeably different from WoT, I have to say his quality of writing has really improved and I think this series has real promise, and because of that I am even more excited for Towers of Midnight.

I only give such a review because I was so unimpressed with his storytelling in Mistborn and the Gathering Storm.

Have you ever read Elantris? I read that first and then Mistborn and there is a definite progression in his ability...and you see a progression that continues through each of his newer books. Reading tWoK and then looking back at Elantris is interesting...almost a totally different writer. Getting picked to finish WoT was like giving BS a PhD in Advanced Fantasy Writing under the expert tutelage of the eminent Professor Harriet McDougal.

Ozymandias
10-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Have you ever read Elantris? I read that first and then Mistborn and there is a definite progression in his ability...and you see a progression that continues through each of his newer books. Reading tWoK and then looking back at Elantris is interesting...almost a totally different writer. Getting picked to finish WoT was like giving BS a PhD in Advanced Fantasy Writing under the expert tutelage of the eminent Professor Harriet McDougal.

Haha I bought TWOK yesterday afternoon and just finished. That good. The one major flaw is that there are 9 more and many years til we finish.

Plus, while I will admit this is the first epic fantasy I've started at the outset and thus maybe all these series start this way, I'm having trouble imaging another 9 volumes. I don't want to ruin the ending, but that sure made it sound like there was only room for enough plot to fill maybe 2-3 more books AT MOST.

Davian93
10-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Haha I bought TWOK yesterday afternoon and just finished. That good. The one major flaw is that there are 9 more and many years til we finish.

Plus, while I will admit this is the first epic fantasy I've started at the outset and thus maybe all these series start this way, I'm having trouble imaging another 9 volumes. I don't want to ruin the ending, but that sure made it sound like there was only room for enough plot to fill maybe 2-3 more books AT MOST.

Thanks for not ruining it. I put it down to read Book 2 of the Sarantine Mosaic and then finish tGS for my reread of WoT. I might pick it back up after ToM is all done at this point as I'm in no hurry whatsoever to finish it.

I'm working on finishing tGS right now and Master & Commander by Patrick O'Brian.

Zanguini
10-18-2010, 08:48 AM
can you imagine all books of of equal length...
10 books
10,000+ pages
4,000,000+ words
30+ inches long
50+ lbs

... going on the bottom shelf

Zaela Sedai
10-18-2010, 03:45 PM
I know... WoT has my bottom shelf right now LOL It may be moved in 10 years :)

Galagros
10-21-2010, 08:51 PM
My impression, copied over from another forum (no spoilers):

I just finished reading The Way of Kings (Book 1 of the Stormlight Archive) by Brandon Sanderson and it was quite an experience. It is a very long book (1000+ pages), but that is to its favor, I think. When I first began to read it I was worried I wouldn't like it. The first 50-100 pages didn't really do it for me as much of it was far in the past preludes. And even after that, it took several hundred more pages before I really got into the story because nothing unique to the setting ever got fully explained. It is just hard to get into a story when the flora and fauna are totally different than on Earth, with unique names, but little upfront explanation. It takes time to figure things out from context and from the bits and pieces on info over the course of the book. By page 500 or so I was hooked, however, and by page 800 (roughly) I couldn't bother taking time to eat or anything.

I'm very excited that this will be a long, epic series that I will be able to follow over the years from the onset! :)

Trynity
11-10-2010, 12:56 AM
I have to say that I have to agree with many of you. I have definitely noticed his progression as a writer form Elantris to TWOK.

I started purchasing BS's books when I found out that he would be taking over the rest of the WOT series. I was curious to see if he was up to the challenge. Elantris did have me wondering, but I did like the Mistborn series and I'm breezing through TWOK now.

It did take me a while to get into the book because it was such a different world from the others I'm used to. I think the main thing that interested me was the fact that the main characters don't appear to have the hero potential. I haven't finished yet. Mostly because TOM arrived on my front step and I had to devote all my free time to reading that when I wasn't doing real life stuff like work and homework.

I do look forward to the rest of the series and I'm interested to see where this goes. I'm also excited to be able to have something to look forward to during the next decade or so. Especially since I spent the last almost 15 years enjoying the WOT.

Zanguini
11-10-2010, 08:11 AM
WoT comes before realife stuff espcially homework

Dewairah
11-11-2010, 08:38 PM
I found the first couple of chapters slightly tedious (Brandon - you were right) but after that it starts to pick up and so far (100pages in or so) brandon seems to have done a reasonable job of crafting a unique, living breathing world.

Whether or not the actual story is any good remains to be seen i guess.