PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

TankSpill
10-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Technically I'm new here, though I've already been posting (and I've lurked for about 2 years-ish). Pretty cool site.

Also, how does Rep work? I wanted to offer someone some rep on a pretty awesome post yesterday, but I don't apparently have the ability...

GonzoTheGreat
10-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Rep is easy: just click the balance icon on top of the post you want to Rep, and the rest is obvious.
Of course, getting that icon is not entirely non-trivial: that requires having reached the status of Elder, Ancient or Hero. Basically what you need to do for that is stick around for a year or so, post reasonably reasonable, and hope that Tamyrlin once again has time for Raisings. The latter can be a rather severe constraint, I'll admit.

TankSpill
10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Ah okay, so that's what it's about. So I won't have the ability to rank others until I've been here a year, huh? Kinda odd, but okay. :p

GonzoTheGreat
10-04-2010, 10:27 AM
I think that officially it is half a year, more or less.
And the Rep functionality is a rather new feature, which just sort of got stuck to those higher ranks. Still, it might be useful to prevent spam-bots from repping each other, and thus giving people the impression that they are useful and trustworthy.

Sarevok
10-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Welcome to TL, Tankspill! :D

Zanguini
10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
its probrably closer to six years if you go by my example. ...

welcome to tl enjoy your stay and try and not let terez hold you down too much your theories are as valid as anyone elses except for tams

If you have thicker than average skin and louder than average views then i would suggest to you that you join us over at the non wot board ... unless of course your a commie bastard.

Birgitte
10-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the Insanity, Tank! As you can see, we live up to the name often.

unless of course your a commie bastard.

Who isn't these days?

GonzoTheGreat
10-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Who isn't these days?Could be that Barack Obama is a Muslim liberal at the moment. I'm not sure; I find it hard to keep track of all that he gets up to.

Zaela Sedai
10-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Consider yourself officially welcomed to Theoryland Tank!!! (Since Lordy seems to no longer be lazy, you'll probably be raised in 6 months if you stick around. ;) Don't be in such a rush to grow up!! LOL) As I'm sure you've noticed, we have a pretty decent community of WoT fanatics over here. One of the ways that we keep it all friendly is a short list of courtesies we ask people to follow and, once in a while, actually do get followed. Imagine that! Insane people following some sort of order!

1) Don't flood the board with multiple THREADS all at once.
Allow us the time to absorb, evaluate, and discuss, OR LAUGH at one or two ideas, OR JOKES at a time. Some of us like to do a little research before responding and that can take a little time. Of course, we also have those others who are just a bit slow. Read that as "just can't handle more than one thought in their heads at once" or "dial-up modem". Your choice. I'd suggest "have a real life", but not likely. Does anyone still have dial up? Wow...it's getting hard to give the slow people an excuse

Addendum to 1) Try to stay on topic.
Going off on tangents can be super fun and is something we are all guilty of your's truly included but try and keep threads on topic unless, 1) the thread is dead or 2) the thread naturally moves over to another topic. This rule is much more lax for joke threads, pop culture threads...etc.

2) Try to back up your opinions & theories.
You'll get a lot more respect if you can. Quotes from the books (of which you CANNOT read too much) are your best weapon. Quotes from interviews are semi-acceptable. Gut feelings are pseudo-acceptable. Whitecloak blind-faith is best submitted while wearing asbestos panties.

3) Feel free to get as emotionally involved as you'd like.
Discussions can get very heated. But try not to take things personally. Remember: we only insult the ones we love. Or the ones we eventually hand over to the Trollocs.

4) Be respectful.
A lot of people have been around Theoryland for a long time. Being a Youngling means you're new around here. We do understand that you may have been reading WoT forever, but if you're gonna pick a fight regarding a WoT theory with someone who's an Elder, Ancient or Hero, understand that they've been around for a while now, and probably have posting friends. And Tamyrlin is Lord of the Board for a reason: this whole place is his brainchild. Keep that in mind. They also have posting enemies.... a good little bit of information to tuck away.

Addendum to 4: This is an international community.
In regards to the Non-WoT discussion groups, please respect the opinions of people from nations and cultures other than your own, even if you disagree with them or the policies of their leaders and politicians. Try to remember that not everyone here has the same outlook or life experience that you might. If you want to send a letter or e-mail to anyone in particular to indicate any specific moral, educational, intellectual, or genetic deficiencies they may have, feel free. Just please don't do it here.

Addendum 1 to Addendum 4: We don't all agree about the issues regarding the military action in Iraq. Post about this issue at your own risk. Things seem to be under control now. Though, there have been some flare-ups….be careful. We have had our own TLers over there, back home safe and sound, hope it stays that way. (I can't wait to be able to delete this Addendum.)

Addendum 2 to Addendum 4: Please no angry profanity.
If you really need to tell someone off, be creative. And replacing characters with @$$ does NOT constitute creativity. I like tend to like the Shakespearean approach myself. The smarter and more subtle you are with it, just makes the person look that much more an idiot.

Addendum 3 to Addendum 4: Please be nice to Newbies.
We were all new at one time you are one right now and there is no need to come down on anyone for asking questions that to the elder community may be basic knowledge. This is for you to remember after you've been here awhile.

Addendum 4 to Addendum 4: Please TRY not to feed the Trolls.
Trust me, it ain't easy at times, but ignore the obvious instigators. Just sit yourself down between the Heroes and Ancients sharpening the WTF Couch sticks. There are many on the board who know how to deal with this breed, leave them to it. It can be quite entertaining. If things get too offensive to the population in general, Mods will intervene. Feel free, however, to respond to Gonzo, our Resident Troll, we love him like a red-headed step child.

5) Please don't use the New Users Forum to recruit.
We have plenty of room in the other forums for begging for support for factions, theories, and the TCA. Please let the newbies look around for a while before taking sides in any pseudo-battles. ~looks around~ our biggest offender has not been around for a while ~sniff~

6) Most important: Have Fun!
We do this because we love it and like to think that we are, at least, reasonably intelligent. Hell, some of us have deluded ourselves into believing that we've evolved into supremely intelligent beings! Half the posters here believe that divine supremacy has already come to them! My vote is for Frenzy, and myself, of course. You know the Truth when you see it. Don't let T and her massive bag o' quotes fool you. We will assume some intelligence on your part. You found us, didn't you? Until you prove otherwise…and there are many who have, you'll be safe. If you get hurt if you do prove otherwise, I will offer my one free Healing…but just that once. After that you get to meet a special pair of chains, Mwahahahaa

Remember, you EARN your respect here, it's not given out freely and some may never know the pleasure.

Welcome to our little rounded corner! It’s a great time!

Enjoy!

Zaela Sedai, Official Theoryland Greeter, Mistress of Novices

Nazbaque
10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
*Gasp*

B! You didn't correct his grammar! You aren't ill, are you?

Welcome Tank!

You may call me Naz!

bowlwoman
10-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Welcome! Although, if you've been lurking for 2+ years, you've technically been around the boardz longer than I have. :D

Birgitte
10-04-2010, 08:48 PM
*Gasp*

B! You didn't correct his grammar! You aren't ill, are you?

Nah, but I'm taking an editing class that makes me glaze over after awhile. I even used the wrong "your" this morning myself. Very embarrassing. So sad.:o:(

lowlandr
10-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Welcome to TL TS :D

TankSpill
10-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes (and humor) everyone.
Cheers!

Terez
10-05-2010, 03:38 PM
The noobs are getting awfully unoriginal with thread titles...

Sarevok
10-05-2010, 03:55 PM
LOL, yeah, I noticed. :D

yks 6nnetu hing
10-06-2010, 02:34 AM
welcome welcome!

soo.... tell us more about yourself Tank? fav WoT Character, fav non-WoT book? Where you would never ever go on vacation even though loads of tourists flock there all the time?

Terez
10-06-2010, 02:36 AM
fav WoT Character
It's not Egwene.

looqas
10-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Rep is easy: just click the balance icon on top of the post you want to Rep, and the rest is obvious.
Of course, getting that icon is not entirely non-trivial: that requires having reached the status of Elder, Ancient or Hero. Basically what you need to do for that is stick around for a year or so, post reasonably reasonable, and hope that Tamyrlin once again has time for Raisings. The latter can be a rather severe constraint, I'll admit.

I'm either

A) Blind
B) Daft
C) True

since I can't see the balance icon anywhere. Screenshots with arrows would be of very great help. (for those posting screenies www.imageshack.us is easy and free).

Terez
10-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Did you read past the first sentence of his post?

GonzoTheGreat
10-06-2010, 03:55 AM
Did you read past the first sentence of his post?He did give option B to cover that question, you know.

looqas
10-06-2010, 05:48 AM
He did give option B to cover that question, you know.

Indeed. Option B was a self humorous way to alleviate the fact I make a real fool out of myself by asking what seems to be obvious to others.

I actually read the whole thread looking for more clues. Terez, rather cold way to make first impressions to someone new to the forums in their "hello world" thread.

So anyone willing to spend 5 mins to help me out?

1) Press Prt Scr
2) Open MSPaint (if you are using Windows)
3) Ctrl-V (crop if you want)
4) draw an arrow or something to highlight the icon
5) Save as "help_the_daft_out.jpg"
6) www.imageshack.us
7) upload the pic
8) post the link here

ps. Like this:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9700/instructthedaft.th.jpg (http://img299.imageshack.us/i/instructthedaft.jpg/)

PS. On topic. Hello there TankSpill. I like your avatar.

Sarevok
10-06-2010, 05:59 AM

*points at the bolded line*

looqas
10-06-2010, 06:21 AM
*points at the bolded line*

*Looks at the bolded line and circles option B* :o

I need some Red sisters to beat the block of reading and comprehending out of me.

Thanks sarevok!

Daekyras
10-06-2010, 07:15 AM
unless of course your a commie bastard.

~hangs head.
~leaves.

TankSpill
10-06-2010, 11:01 AM

Aaaand, Terez is in the thread, everyone!

It's not Egwene.

Right, but I'm not bashing her either.

Indeed. Option B was a self humorous way to alleviate the fact I make a real fool out of myself by asking what seems to be obvious to others.

I actually read the whole thread looking for more clues. Terez, rather cold way to make first impressions to someone new to the forums in their "hello world" thread.

So anyone willing to spend 5 mins to help me out?

1) Press Prt Scr
2) Open MSPaint (if you are using Windows)
3) Ctrl-V (crop if you want)
4) draw an arrow or something to highlight the icon
5) Save as "help_the_daft_out.jpg"
6) www.imageshack.us
7) upload the pic
8) post the link here

ps. Like this:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9700/instructthedaft.th.jpg (http://img299.imageshack.us/i/instructthedaft.jpg/)

PS. On topic. Hello there TankSpill. I like your avatar.

Other than the PS (which, "Thank You"), I really don't understand the purpose of this post. :)

welcome welcome!

soo.... tell us more about yourself Tank? fav WoT Character, fav non-WoT book? Where you would never ever go on vacation even though loads of tourists flock there all the time?

Fav character, unoriginally, is Rand most of the time. After that, I'm a big fan of Lan. I liked Perrin a lot until aCoS, and hopefully will like him again.

Fav non-WoT book is unequivocally Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (technically 3/4 books) by Tad Williams. Hands Down. After that, I like most of Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos books, think there's barely anything written better than World War Z, and re-read Plato's Republic about once every two or three years.

I would likely never go anywhere in the Caribbean - way too frakkin hot.

Anything else?

Tamyrlin
10-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Don't take anyone too seriously; it's like a family reunion around here every day.

I've enjoyed your posts - hope you stick around.

Davian93
10-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Welcome to TL, Tank!

Birgitte
10-06-2010, 02:54 PM
After that, I like most of Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos books, think there's barely anything written better than World War Z

I thoroughly approve. Poor Vlad is so underrated. :(

And World War Z was amazing.

tworiverswoman
10-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm one of Vlad's biggest fans, but I've never heard of the other one you mention. I'll have to go to the bookstore... which can be actively dangerous to my wallet.

Another couple of series I highly recommend are the Miles Vorkosigan books (completed - no more anticipated :( ) by Lois McMaster Bujold, and a marvelous series so far only known to me and Firseal, collectively called The Chronicles of the Kencyrath, by P.C. Hodgell. That one is still in progress.

Oh, yeah... welcome to the forums :)

Sei'taer
10-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I would likely never go anywhere in the Caribbean - way too frakkin hot.

You're not allowed to say frakkin'. Frickin', and friggin' are ok, as is fuckin' as long as you use it sparingly and nobody notices.

Anything else?

Do you like Beer? If not, you are dead to me. Until such a time as we find that out, Welcome!

Birgitte
10-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm one of Vlad's biggest fans, but I've never heard of the other one you mention. I'll have to go to the bookstore... which can be actively dangerous to my wallet.

It's by Max Brooks. You'll find it in the frackin' normal fiction section. It's... frackin' hard to describe but there's a frackin' zombie apocalypose involved and it's frackin' wonderful.

tworiverswoman
10-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Frackin' awesome! I have the car all frackin' week, since Ernie's on vacation (again!), so I'll frackin' well risk my frackin' wallet at the frackin' bookstore.

Frack! Also Fuk.

I hate beer. Well - I like to inhale the beery aroma, but the only beer I ever enjoyed drinking was when I was FRACKIN' hot and it was FUKING cold.

Jokeslayer
10-08-2010, 04:43 PM
And World War Z was amazing.

This is correct.

Fav character, unoriginally, is Rand most of the time.

Wait, people actually like Rand?

Oh, yeah, and welcome to TL.

Birgitte
10-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Wait, people actually like Rand?

You wouldn't frackin' think so, but ~shrug~

TankSpill
10-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Another couple of series I highly recommend are the Miles Vorkosigan books (completed - no more anticipated :( ) by Lois McMaster Bujold, and a marvelous series so far only known to me and Firseal, collectively called The Chronicles of the Kencyrath, by P.C. Hodgell. That one is still in progress.

Thank you for those recommendations. I am always interested in finding some more good fantasy books to read.

You're not allowed to say frakkin'. Frickin', and friggin' are ok, as is fuckin' as long as you use it sparingly and nobody notices.

Well, frak :(

Do you like Beer? If not, you are dead to me. Until such a time as we find that out, Welcome!

Just to give you an idea of my favorites:

Trois Pistoles, by Unibroue
Black Mocha Stout, by Highland Brewing
Old Town, by Natty Greene's
Bell's Porter, and Bell's Kalamazoo Stout

I'm a bit of a beer snob :(

Thanks for all the welcomes!

DahLliA
10-10-2010, 11:04 PM

nothing wrong with a simple "hello all". it's short, easy and gets the job done.

damn. now I wish we had a slutty dwarf here so I could go "kinda like <insert name>"

oh. and welcome to TL :D

Confinfantry
10-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Welcome indeed!