PDA

View Full Version : Rejoice, you all have reason to live again. :)

Insane Ducky
10-19-2010, 02:25 AM
Hey guys,

With the new book coming out soon, I started lurking a bit to get some insight from people who have kept up with the series better than I have over the last couple of years. I can't tell you how shocked I was to see names I recognized, and that some of you still remembered me. It made me realize a few things I wished I'd said, so I thought I'd resurrect the old screen-name and post again. :)

1) You guys were awesome to put up with 14 year-old me (or 15 year-old...or 16 year-old). I know I could be a smart-ass who listened to WAY too much talk-radio and didn't know much about the world. You guys were nice while letting me know when I was immature - not to mention just basically being good friends (something that is much easier to realize when you are not a self-absorbed teenager). Having that sort of community was great when I was changing high schools about once a year, and it really meant a lot to me.

2) I'm doing well - I'm alive and happy in grad school in the Bay Area. I've been reading on here enough the last couple of weeks to see that a lot of people I remember are still hanging in there - but if there's any news I missed or updates people want to give, please feel free to reply. It would be nice to have a mini-Theorylander pre-Path of Daggers reunion. :)

3) Ivhon is still wrong about everything we disagreed about - with the exception of his advice to me about getting out on a dance floor and enjoying myself. That part turned out to be spot on. :)

Terez
10-19-2010, 02:29 AM
Hi there. I have seen a lot of you in the archives, but I think you were long gone by the time I joined. You should stick around; us post-TPOD folks aren't so bad, either. ;)

GonzoTheGreat
10-19-2010, 03:55 AM
Welcome back, mentally challenged watery fowl*.

* Note to noobs: that is not at all an original way of describing ID#.

# Using "ID" may be, though. Can't remember having seen that one before. Then again, as Terez noted, it's been a while.

One Armed Gimp
10-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Welcome back!

Zanguini
10-19-2010, 08:33 AM
welcome back ... I think ... i dont seem to remember... but thats not really all that odd...
If you listen to way too much talk radio join us over on the non-wot board its like a talk radio show... with lolcats.. now where did i put those keys

Zaela Sedai
10-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Welcome back!!! Something tells me you shouldnt be a Youngling ;)

Insane Ducky
10-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Youngling is more of a state of mind, and honestly, I am not nearly the WoT aficionado I used to be. I don't even (at the risk of getting myself banned for life from the forums) own a complete set of the books anymore. :/ What can I say - books are heavy and I was moving a lot. :)

But anyways, I mostly wanted to check up on people - find out if Jennifer was still around, or if Thom had ever shown up again. You know, babies and marriages, etc... :)

Tamyrlin
10-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Welcome back - stick around, these next two years should be a lot of fun.

Sarevok
10-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Youngling is more of a state of mind, and honestly, I am not nearly the WoT aficionado I used to be. I don't even (at the risk of getting myself banned for life from the forums) own a complete set of the books anymore. :/ What can I say - books are heavy and I was moving a lot. :)

*looks at the one lonely WoT book on his shelf*

I think you'll be fine. ;)

Sei'taer
10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Hey guys,

With the new book coming out soon, I started lurking a bit to get some insight from people who have kept up with the series better than I have over the last couple of years. I can't tell you how shocked I was to see names I recognized, and that some of you still remembered me. It made me realize a few things I wished I'd said, so I thought I'd resurrect the old screen-name and post again. :)

1) You guys were awesome to put up with 14 year-old me (or 15 year-old...or 16 year-old). I know I could be a smart-ass who listened to WAY too much talk-radio and didn't know much about the world. You guys were nice while letting me know when I was immature - not to mention just basically being good friends (something that is much easier to realize when you are not a self-absorbed teenager). Having that sort of community was great when I was changing high schools about once a year, and it really meant a lot to me.

2) I'm doing well - I'm alive and happy in grad school in the Bay Area. I've been reading on here enough the last couple of weeks to see that a lot of people I remember are still hanging in there - but if there's any news I missed or updates people want to give, please feel free to reply. It would be nice to have a mini-Theorylander pre-Path of Daggers reunion. :)

3) Ivhon is still wrong about everything we
disagreed about - with the exception of his
advice to me about getting out on a dance floor
and enjoying myself. That part turned out to be
spot on. :)

Ducky! I'll be damned! Good to see you around again. What are you now...20 or so? We've all been wondering about you for years. Ivhon will be sooooo excited!

Sarevok
10-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Ducky! I'll be damned! Good to see you around again. What are you now...20 or so? We've all been wondering about you for years. Ivhon will be sooooo excited!

Has to be more if Terez doesn't remember him! SHe was ancient when I joined 4 years ago. :eek:

Hopper
10-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Holy shit . . . Ducky. Welcome back man.

Frenzy
10-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Hi there Ducky. i hope things have been, well, ducky. :p

Bay Area... SF Bay? If so, what part?

Ivhon
10-19-2010, 10:50 PM
I call fraud.

This post was written by a thoughtful, humble and appreciative person. Therefore by definition cannot be Ducky. I was gonna say that 'Taer is out there making up avatars again....but then he wouldn't know how to write thoughtful, humble and appreciative either. So Im bolloxed.

Now (just to play along) - good to see you back Ducky-san. I see you still cannot wrap your feeble duck-brain around the concept that Im right about everything. Always have been. Only reason I don't post on the WoT boards is that my rightness stifles all conversation and Terez swore that she would jump off a cliff in desperation if I proved her wrong one more time. Glad you paid attention to the dancing though.

What did you do to get sentenced to grad school? And in what?

Isabel
10-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Has to be more if Terez doesn't remember him! SHe was ancient when I joined 4 years ago. :eek:

Pfff, Terez actually hasn't been here that long.

And Hi Ducky :)

Terez
10-19-2010, 11:08 PM
6 years. Long enough for Sare's point - which had nothing to do with your pathetic sense of self-importance - to be valid. ;)

Only reason I don't post on the WoT boards is that my rightness stifles all conversation and Terez swore that she would jump off a cliff in desperation if I proved her wrong one more time.
The only time I remember you showing up on WoT any time resembling recently was when you voted on the Lews Therin poll (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=16), in agreement with me, of course (you do have brains, after all). I'm sure you posted a couple of other times that I don't remember, but it must have been a duck-and-run kind of thing.

Sei'taer
10-20-2010, 08:11 AM
I call fraud.

This post was written by a thoughtful, humble and appreciative person. Therefore by definition cannot be Ducky. I was gonna say that 'Taer is out there making up avatars again....but then he wouldn't know how to write thoughtful, humble and appreciative either. So Im bolloxed.

I wouldn't do that. It would be....Lame.

Ishara
10-20-2010, 08:42 AM
I changed my mind...

Hi, welcome back! People have already asked the relevant questions, so I'll just stick with welcome back. ;)

Oh, and (sticking to people you knew):

1. Tam has 3, Frenzy has 2, Taer has 3 (but, I think that was the case when you were still here)

2. Ivhon, Hopper, Saucy, Gil and Bryan all got married while you were gone.

3. Ivhon and Saucy are breeding!

Lots more to tell, but I feel that those are the big updates. ;)

Zanguini
10-20-2010, 08:54 AM

That would have been a weird wedding.

Tamyrlin
10-20-2010, 08:59 AM

And Hi Ducky :)

Because nothing you do at twelve really counts. ;)

yks 6nnetu hing
10-20-2010, 09:05 AM
I changed my mind...

Hi, welcome back! People have already asked the relevant questions, so I'll just stick with welcome back. ;)

Oh, and (sticking to people you knew):

1. Tam has 3, Frenzy has 2, Taer has 3 (but, I think that was the case when you were still here)

3. Ivhon and Saucy are breeding!

Lots more to tell, but I feel that those are the big updates. ;)

weait, what? Ivhon, Hopper and Saucy? I thought polyandry was illegal in the States? And didn't you mean to say Ivhon, Hopper and Saucy are breeding, seeing as they are apparently all one happy family?

:p

welcome back Ducky. I'm too new to remember you actually posting but I did read quite a lot of the Archives...

WinespringBrother
10-20-2010, 09:15 AM
welcome back!

Isabel
10-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Because nothing you do at twelve really counts. ;)

I think I will put this in my sign when the Prince of TL joins the board:D

ShadowbaneX
10-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Heya Ducky! It's very good to see you back and glad to know that things are going well.

As for TL, I think people have covered most, the only thing that seems to be missed was that we lost Imram a couple of years back. :'(

Birgitte
10-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Wow, Ducky. It's great to finally meet you. You are pretty infamous around here. :) Welcome back!

That would have been a weird wedding.
Damn, Zan, you beat me to it!

Matoyak
10-20-2010, 03:40 PM
duck-and-runWas that intentional? :p

Good to meetcha, Ducky. Heard a LOT about you. Hope ya stick around :)

Terez
10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Was that intentional? :p
Yes. ;)

Matoyak
10-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes. ;)Then have rep. :D
Makin' me laugh at work... Lease extensions aren't funny, darnit! xD

Nor are HOA violations, for that matter.

tworiverswoman
10-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Nice to meetcha, Duck. Your name does crop up from time to time when the old folks get to reminiscing.

My mother's brother was called "Uncle Ducky" but I'm damned if I ever found out why. Not you, obviously, since he's quite a bit older, I dare say. And dead now, as well. Presumably not you.

Mato, there's something inherently WRONG about reading YOU talking about being "at work" and throwing around words like "lease extensions" and "HOA violations..."

Ishara
10-21-2010, 08:13 AM
~face palm~

Sei'taer
10-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Then have rep. :D
Makin' me laugh at work... Lease extensions aren't funny, darnit! xD

Nor are HOA violations, for that matter.

HOA violations? I think I don't like you anymore. Also, I have 4 kids. I only had 2 when Ducky left I think.

Matoyak
10-21-2010, 11:25 AM
HOA violations? I think I don't like you anymore.I'm not the one handing them out, or making them...I'm the one informing the tenant about them, after the HOA sends them to us and gets on our case about it. Those HOA people get paid for each one they write up...and they focus on tenants more than anyone else. (Also suspect that HOA violations were the inspiration for Howlers...that is one BRIGHT red they use...)

But dammit, this is a re-intro thread, not a thread about property management...

Sei'taer
10-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Don't worry. Ducky will be proud that we hijacked his thread. He'll feel like he's back for sure.

Sarevok
10-21-2010, 01:11 PM
But dammit, this is a re-intro thread, not a thread about property management...

It's in the newbie forums. That means it's free for hijack. :D

Ishara
10-21-2010, 01:12 PM
HOA violations? I think I don't like you anymore. Also, I have 4 kids. I only had 2 when Ducky left I think.

Shit! I forgot your littlest. Epic fail on my part.

Spidy
10-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Welcome back Ducky. Been a long time. As Tam said, its gonna be a fun next two years.

Davian93
10-24-2010, 12:55 PM
6 years. Long enough for Sare's point - which had nothing to do with your pathetic sense of self-importance - to be valid. ;)

Quiet Newbie!

~was an Elder when T joined~

Insane Ducky
10-25-2010, 12:58 AM
And how fast conversations would move if you just left them alone for a wee bit. :)

Sei'taer - I'm actually 25 now. :) Time has this way of passing when you're off looking at all the interesting things in life...

Frenzy - Yep, Bay Area as in SF Bay area (is there really any other THE Bay Area?). I'm off in yuppy South Bay land, actually, but I try to get up to the City as much as possible. You in the area?

Ivhon - It was a moment of weakness and nostalgia (and in all fairness, most of the subtler emotions were from a more mature source - a nicely aged whiskey), I swear!! All my future posts will be insensitive and inane, I promise!

I don't think of grad school as a sentence - it's really more a diseased state of mind. After all, no one's physically keeping us here - it's only in our heads that we can't leave.

I work in Marine Biology - but not the sexy diving-on-pristine-beaches type. It's all done in a nice, controlled lab environment with fluorescent lights and a more-or-less constant phenol smell. On the plus side, the coffee is coffee.

Also, this is clearly not a prank or anything. That sort of thing would be so vieux jeu, don't you think? :)

And, just to check, did you and Saucy meet on Theoryland, or did she join after meeting you?

Tworiverswoman - "My mother's brother was called "Uncle Ducky" but I'm damned if I ever found out why."

I thought I'd choose a name that ensured people wouldn't take me seriously unless I had really good theories. The first part of that worked great. :)

Frenzy
10-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Frenzy - Yep, Bay Area as in SF Bay area (is there really any other THE Bay Area?). I'm off in yuppy South Bay land, actually, but I try to get up to the City as much as possible. You in the area?
i hear there might be a Tampa Bay Area, but it can't be anywhere near as cool as the SF Bay area. Because i am not there.

Sometimes the area around Monterey Bay is called the Monterey Bay area, but i have no idea why. Most of us just call it Monterey.

And i'm in the South Bay too. Coffee is definitely in order. Assuming i don't just hijack you outright and drag you to Sacramento on the 2nd for the booksigning. :D

I work in Marine Biology - but not the sexy diving-on-pristine-beaches type. It's all done in a nice, controlled lab environment with fluorescent lights and a more-or-less constant phenol smell. On the plus side, the coffee is coffee.
Grad School in Marine Biology... CSU Monterey Bay?

Matoyak
10-25-2010, 01:49 AM
i hear there might be a Tampa Bay AreaIn the short time I've been living in Houston (Well, technically Pearland), I have heard "The Houston-Sugarland Bay Area" thrown around a bit. Only been here a month or so now, so I assume it's a common phrase...
Though I doubt it is thought of as THE bay area. ~shrug~

Insane Ducky
10-26-2010, 03:11 AM
And i'm in the South Bay too. Coffee is definitely in order. Assuming i don't just hijack you outright and drag you to Sacramento on the 2nd for the booksigning. :D

Grad School in Marine Biology... CSU Monterey Bay?

Yuppier. I'm up at Stanford. It doesn't make sense, I know. But yes, coffee is most definitely a go - but my boss might have objections to me running out of the lab on a Tuesday. :)

Birgitte
11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
In the short time I've been living in Houston (Well, technically Pearland), I have heard "The Houston-Sugarland Bay Area" thrown around a bit. Only been here a month or so now, so I assume it's a common phrase...
Though I doubt it is thought of as THE bay area. ~shrug~

Really, Mato? You've joined us in the Houston area?! We should totally hang out.

Matoyak
11-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Really, Mato? You've joined us in the Houston area?! We should totally hang out.Heh, yeah, due to a series of somewhat rather unfortunate events (that will probably end up being for the best, after all is said and done...maybe :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:). I'm actually in Pearland, about 5 miles off of Beltway 8/Sam Houston Toll and HWY 288, if that places it in your mind's eye. :)

Heh, I didn't even think of how many TLers there are in the Houston area... Intriguing :D

GonzoTheGreat
11-02-2010, 02:53 AM
Heh, I didn't even think of how many TLers there are in the Houston area... Intriguing :DHouston, you have a problem.

Nazbaque
02-06-2011, 06:30 AM
The Naz is back welcome number 14:

Wel- Hey! You're not a newbie!

Hmmmmm... should I include welcome back posts?

*crickets*

YES!!

Welcome back Ducky!

You may call me Naz!

*Sets himself on fire*