PDA

View Full Version : So where to next?

Dewairah
11-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi

Since the series is rapidly coming to an end, where are we all off to next? Stormblessed?

Have any forum members found another series that so enthralls them the way WoT did?

Has anyone found another fantasy/scifi etc series that generates theories the way WoT did?

Dewairah :)

jacee
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
The owner of my local book store recommended the Sword of Truth series. I read the first one and did not like it at all. It is written by Terry Goodkind.It hasn't nearly the depth of characters that the WOT does.

GonzoTheGreat
11-09-2010, 04:02 AM
I think that I would advice the 1632 series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1632_series). It's not fantasy, and it is only barely science fiction, I think. Mostly it is alternate history.
It starts with a work of art by a bunch of aliens, very far (thousands of light years, at least) from Earth. Naturally, that work of art explodes*. One part of it hurtles through space and time, eventually striking Earth. As a result, an American town is transplanted from the year 2000 to a spot in Germany in the year 1631#, while a similar area from there is brought to the USA in 2000. The German area does not contain living humans, and is consequently nothing more than an unexplained (except to the readers) anomaly of no importance. The American town (Grantville, West Virginia) though, does have a population of about 3,000. Logically, they are not entirely happy about finding themselves in the middle of the Thirty Year War, and the series tells of what happens when they try to avoid being exterminated.

One of the interesting things about the series is that while it was started by one author (Eric Flint) it had been intended as a multi-author project from the start. So, within certain limitations, anyone can write stories or even whole books in the series, and a lot of people do. Some of the ones who do are unknowns (at least to me), but others, like Mercedes Lackey and David Weber, have already amply proven their abilties. The main limitation is that Eric Flint holds an eventualy veto over whether or not something will be officially incorporated in the series.

All in all, it works out really well. The first few books in the series (both the two first novels, and a three (or four) books of short stories) can be downloaded for free.

* Don't they all, eventually? If not, then what's the point of art, anyway?

# Hence the title of the series, obviously.

Sarevok
11-09-2010, 04:22 AM
The owner of my local book store recommended the Sword of Truth series. I read the first one and did not like it at all. It is written by Terry Goodkind.It hasn't nearly the depth of characters that the WOT does.

Worst books I've ever read... :eek:

GonzoTheGreat
11-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Worst books I've ever read... :eek:You've probably never tried German science fiction. There's one book I have tried 3 times (at least), but I never managed to make it to page two.

Not a very strong endorsement for the SoT series, I'll admit, but at least it is evidence (as far as I'm concerned) that Goodkind did not win the "worst book ever" competition.

Galagros
11-09-2010, 07:11 AM
You've probably never tried German science fiction. There's one book I have tried 3 times (at least), but I never managed to make it to page two.

Not a very strong endorsement for the SoT series, I'll admit, but at least it is evidence (as far as I'm concerned) that Goodkind did not win the "worst book ever" competition.

Nope, I'd hand those "worst book" awards over to Joe Abercrombie.

Matoyak
11-09-2010, 10:17 AM
The owner of my local book store recommended the Sword of Truth series.Urk. :eek:

Re Main Topic: I'll be following anything and everything Brandon Sanderson does.

GonzoTheGreat
11-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Urk.Urk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urk)?

Matoyak
11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Urk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urk)?Sure, why not (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShrugTake).

EDIT: Yeah, had to stretch to find a link that applied. Ah well.

Ishara
11-09-2010, 03:34 PM
LOL

I would strongly endorse anything at all by Guy Gavriel Kay, starting with the Fionavar Tapestry. Not sure where you're from Dewairah, but he's available in mnay, many languages!

Crispin's Crispian
11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Don't listen to her. She's not only drinking, but is brewing the kool-aid.

Ishara
11-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Pffft. Also, LOL.

Davian93
11-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Worst series ever written. Absolutely terrible and large parts of it plagiarized from WoT anyway. Go back to the bookstore and slap that owner...hard.

Davian93
11-09-2010, 08:14 PM
LOL

I would strongly endorse anything at all by Guy Gavriel Kay, starting with the Fionavar Tapestry. Not sure where you're from Dewairah, but he's available in mnay, many languages!

I second this recommendation. All of his books are great reads.

Ooh...koolaid!

yks 6nnetu hing
11-10-2010, 01:40 AM
If you haven't read anything by Robin Hobb yet, I strongly suggest you do so.

Ishara
11-10-2010, 08:20 AM
SQUEEE!

I have 100 pages left of ToM (am DYING right now), and then I finally tracked down a copy of the first 3 discworld books. Am super duper psyched to finally get into Terry Pratchett!

yks 6nnetu hing
11-10-2010, 08:36 AM
SQUEEE!

I have 100 pages left of ToM (am DYING right now), and then I finally tracked down a copy of the first 3 discworld books. Am super duper psyched to finally get into Terry Pratchett!

wait... what? you haven't read Pratchett? not even one? Although, to be honest it really doesn't matter in which order you read Pratchett.

also, am grumpy because I still don't have the book. no time to go get it *sigh* maybe tomorrow though

Ishara
11-10-2010, 09:56 AM
wait... what? you haven't read Pratchett? not even one? Although, to be honest it really doesn't matter in which order you read Pratchett.

also, am grumpy because I still don't have the book. no time to go get it *sigh* maybe tomorrow though

I read what he had in Legends (a Granny Weatherwax story) and loved it, but really wanted to start at the beginning and work my way through the series although I know they're not necessarily chronological. Still though, I'm a bit ... rigid about order. LOL

nameless
11-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Discworld starts off a little slow. For the first few books he's mostly parodying the epic fantasy genre, and he does it well, but later on he pulls out all the stops and satirizes pretty much everything. I'd start with Equal Rites if you liked Granny Weatherwax.

Orc
11-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I read what he had in Legends (a Granny Weatherwax story) and loved it, but really wanted to start at the beginning and work my way through the series although I know they're not necessarily chronological. Still though, I'm a bit ... rigid about order. LOL

They are written in chronological order, but each book is not necessarily related to previous books.

Also the series can start out a bit rough. The first couple of books are pretty much a collection of loosely connected stories, but it really picks up with the fourth book, Mort.

Ishara
11-10-2010, 12:33 PM
They are written in chronological order, but each book is not necessarily related to previous books.

Also the series can start out a bit rough. The first couple of books are pretty much a collection of loosely connected stories, but it really picks up with the fourth book, Mort.

That's what I've heard! I have the first 3 and then hopefully it'll start to get really good! I traded them for tGS with a guy at work. He geeked out when he saw my signed copy, so it was totes worth it.

Matoyak
11-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Pratchett is great, and I'm similar to you, Ishara, with having to have the order proper. I compromised, though, when my local bookstore didn't have the next one in the writing order, and I've thus been reading each storyline in chronological order, but not necessarily in total writing order.

Ishara
11-10-2010, 02:39 PM
A viable alternative - and likely smart!

Jokeslayer
11-10-2010, 03:36 PM
I've thus been reading each storyline in chronological order, but not necessarily in total writing order.

This is definitely the way to do it.

jacee
11-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I was glad to find some names here. I am going to try to find some of the books. I wish I had asked about the Sword of Truth before I bought one. I really did dislike it but I didn't want to sound too down on it. Never know whose toes you may be stepping on. It was so bad, I have not been able to stop thinking about it. Like remembering a horrible accident you saw on the highway.

Matoyak
11-10-2010, 05:26 PM
A viable alternative - and likely smart!This is definitely the way to do it.Yeah, I've been finding it much more enjoyable than trying to read them in written order, as you get a wider array of characters and you get to see his later writing style a bit more. You also get to stick with characters for longer, and see their plots through. :)

Belazamon
11-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I've been finding it much more enjoyable than trying to read them in written order, as you get a wider array of characters and you get to see his later writing style a bit more. You also get to stick with characters for longer, and see their plots through. :)
Yeah, I've still never read a Granny Weatherwax book, and I don't really go out of my way for Rincewind stories. The Ankh-Morpork books are the main thing I associate with the Discworld - that, and some of the standalones.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-11-2010, 01:52 AM

Mort's still my favourite :D Although I quite liked Moving Pictures and Making Money and Truth... and the Last Continent (although, I might misremember that one as I read that while on night shift as a security guard. my memories of that time are a bit... hazy)

GonzoTheGreat
11-11-2010, 05:51 AM
although, I might misremember that one as I read that while on night shift as a security guard. my memories of that time are a bit... hazyNo problem. Find the right doorway, and ask for the gaps in your memory to be filled. Do remember to ask for a way out.

Ishara
11-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Mort's still my favourite :D Although I quite liked Moving Pictures and Making Money and Truth... and the Last Continent (although, I might misremember that one as I read that while on night shift as a security guard. my memories of that time are a bit... hazy)

Dude, what were you guarding? You're so tiny! LOL

Jonai
11-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Or you could just reread WoT another 350 times like the rest of us are planning on doing..or maybe that's just me. ;) Prachett is excellent, though I didn't have trouble with the first few books, I love Rincewind. Still, any book with Vimes in it is probably all around the best stuff Discworld has to offer.

Tad Williams is another terrific author. He has at least three series I think are worth trying: Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, Otherland, and Shadowmarch.

I can't add much about Goodkind that hasn't already been said. In WoT, I love to hate certain characters, with Terry I just loath all of them. Not to mention the series is riddled with Objectivism. But hey if you like Ayn Rand...

yks 6nnetu hing
11-12-2010, 01:46 AM
Dude, what were you guarding? You're so tiny! LOL

The University mathematics and IT building. Kind of ironic now that I think of it.

Orc
11-12-2010, 06:56 AM
The University mathematics and IT building. Kind of ironic now that I think of it.

Just think if you weren't there!

"I'm sorry, class is canceled today, someone stole the number seven."

Daekyras
11-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Worst series ever written. Absolutely terrible and large parts of it plagiarized from WoT anyway. Go back to the bookstore and slap that owner...hard.

This post is just full of win.

I can't believe your clerk has read them if he is recommending using them as anything other than kindling. Argh!

I second the Tad Williams love. Read Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. An excellent series(dragonbone chair, stone of farewell, To green angel tower) with many interesting characters. Good for a bit of theorising too if you can find someone who hasn't finished them.

If you just want something light try some David Gemmell. Like RJ, he went and died on me but his back catalogue is light, action fantasy of the highest order.

David Farlands Runelord books are also worth a read.(excellent magic system, possibly better than WoTs)

Robin Hobb- Good but I didn't like the Liveship books.

Jonai
11-12-2010, 07:16 AM
better than WoT's? *snort* I didn't like sadship either...

Daekyras
11-12-2010, 07:19 AM
better than WoT's? *snort* I didn't like sadship either...

Possibly? *sniff*

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 01:05 AM
I promised myself I wouldn't read another fantasy series until after aMoL came out but I can't shake the mood to read fantasy (I always feel like reading a good series when it's cold out) so I just started the Belgariad. I'm only like 100 pages in so far and while the writing seems so dry compared to Jordan the story seems like it might be good.

Jonai
11-14-2010, 02:40 AM
I liked Eddings. I think it might depend on your age and tastes though. I haven't done a reread in like ten years so I dunno how well it's stood the test of time.

I think Daek just sniffed at me...*tugs braid*

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 02:44 AM
What age and taste do you think would be suited to Eddings? I'm liking it so far, except like I said I don't find his style to be as vibrant as Jordan.

When I worked at a used book store this lady who had been working there for ages and she was the biggest fantasy nerd I've ever met, it seemed like she had read every series ever. The Belgariad was one of the series she most strongly recommended, like WoT. Funny that although I obviously like fantasy I didn't get around to reading either for a few years.

Jonai
11-14-2010, 02:49 AM
I don't know exactly. All I know is that a lot of people (especially wot fans) over the years have badmouthed it as being too shallow, or stereotypical, or kiddy. I read it for first time when I was like 8. So hard to judge. I think my brain might be on auto pilot after 20 years of wot, if I didn't know what was going to happen. But that's not a complaint. It is what it is. My absolute favorite Eddings series is the Elenium. Good thing with Eddings is you've got a lot of reading material. After you finish the Belgariad, you can read the Mallorean. It's set in the same world. Have you run into Silk yet?

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Yea I ran into Silk and learned his true identity. I like his character. He's rogue-ish.

Jonai
11-14-2010, 02:53 AM
Yeah I like silk too. He was my favorite fantasy character until Bel Tine.

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 02:55 AM
It seems like every fantasy series has a character that is kind of like that.

Ishara
11-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Just wait till DSG finds this thread - he loves the Belgariad, and Eddings. One of those seminal life changers for him, I think.

Belazamon
11-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I enjoyed Eddings well enough, but it's been at least a decade since I read the Belgariad or the Mallorean. Now, I did just reread the Elenium and the Tamuli in the last couple of years, and I always liked those better. They're more of a "light read" for me, though they did improve my vocabulary a bit...

"I defenestrated him."
"Mirtai! That's awful!"
"What are you talking about?"
"That's a terrible thing to do to a man!"

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I will most likely read all of his works if I end up liking The Belgariad. I usually become consumed with one author for a period of time.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-15-2010, 02:17 AM
What age and taste do you think would be suited to Eddings? I'm liking it so far, except like I said I don't find his style to be as vibrant as Jordan.

When I worked at a used book store this lady who had been working there for ages and she was the biggest fantasy nerd I've ever met, it seemed like she had read every series ever. The Belgariad was one of the series she most strongly recommended, like WoT. Funny that although I obviously like fantasy I didn't get around to reading either for a few years.

I liked Eddings. Although I'm not sure I'd read those books again. Do you ever have with books the same as with songs: some of them very sharply remind you of things that went on while you were reading/listening to them? Well, I read Eddings while a close family member was dying in the other room, and through the preparations for the funeral... It was very good for distraction but I don't think I'll be reading it again any time soon.

As for age, I think the recommendation is in the earlier part of the 'teens or before you've gotten jaded with the Fantasy Standards.

I don't know what you're talking about, I loved the Liveship trilogy, that was the best one! ships are awesome! talking ships are stupendously awesome! crazy talking ships... waaaaahhhh!

Jonai
11-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Liveship had no Fitz, ergo, sucks. Besides all the characters are soooooo anooooooooyyyyyinng. Well amber was cool...and stuff.

Daekyras
11-15-2010, 02:56 AM
I used to love Eddings. As I got older I kinda grew out of the Belgariad and the Mallorean.

"Why Me?" God, Garion was so WHINEY. It's like a million Perrin-Faile rescue arcs thrown into one! Prince Kheldar is indeed awesome though.

The Elenium, on the other hand, is excellent. It also contains the one scene in any fantasy series to date at which I blubbed like a little girl. Anyone who read it will know what I mean.

I've had moist eyes many times before and since especially in WoT, but that was my only full out cry.

Also, @jonai *raises chin.

(Ha, I was gonna say *eases sword in it's sheath but thought that would be either too aggressive or just reallllllly suggestive!)

HunterOTS
11-15-2010, 03:34 AM
As for age, I think the recommendation is in the earlier part of the 'teens or before you've gotten jaded with the Fantasy Standards.

I only get jaded with the fantasy standards temporarily. I accept that the bulk of fantasy novels are just copy-cattish pulp stuff that follows a pattern. Every time I stop reading fantasy I eventually find myself back in the mood to read it again. Once in a while you find a gem, which was what happened to me with WoT this year.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Liveship had no Fitz, ergo, sucks. Besides all the characters are soooooo anooooooooyyyyyinng. Well amber was cool...and stuff.

hmm, I wonder if I'm the only one who finds Fitz whiny and boring... Well, boring in the Fantasy Standard idea of talking to wolves. Leave that out (or change to any other animal. really, ANY other animal... well, except for dogs, that'd be even more lame I suppose) and he'd be teh awesomesest character ever written... As it is, he's mediocre. By far not the worst ever but doesn't crack my top 10 (which includes the Fool and Althea)

ooh, that's fun, my top 10 fantasy characters... let's see, in no particular order:
Fool - Farseer world, particularly the Tawny Man trilogy
Althea - Liveship trilogy
F'lar - Pern
Lessa - Pern
Egwene - WoT (duh!)
Jaime - aSoIaF
Ged - Earthsea
Gandalf (but as in Hobbit. did not like him as much in LotR)
Death - Discworld
Baggage - Discworld

that's strictly Fantasy... If I'd included Sci-Fi then Ender would be in there and probably a few more...

Ishara
11-15-2010, 08:14 AM
See, I would pick Jaxom or F'lessan (later F'lessan) over F'lar or Lessa. I always felt like wasn't really fleshed out - like she started out with such a great idea that she only had time to develop Lessa's character, and F'lar's was secondary. Also, perhaps not a character, but I loved the ship's computer. And Master Harper over all.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-15-2010, 08:22 AM
See, I would pick Jaxom or F'lessan (later F'lessan) over F'lar or Lessa. I always felt like wasn't really fleshed out - like she started out with such a great idea that she only had time to develop Lessa's character, and F'lar's was secondary. Also, perhaps not a character, but I loved the ship's computer. And Master Harper over all.

I know what you mean. I like F'lar more than Lessa, and I sort of agree with you on the basis of the first book only. But in the whole of Pern stories, those two are the best. Plus, I think that they're possibly the most believable Fantasy-couple where both the characters are cool on their own right yet fit together so very very well (although, the Brekke-F'nor storyline was really awesome too... just not as fleshed-out as the Lessa-F'lar one)

Daekyras
11-15-2010, 08:37 AM
OOOH, Love Lists like this.

For Me:

Mat and moridin- WoT.

Severian- Book of the new sun

Duke Insgrimmur or Binabiq- Memory sorrow and thorn

Silk- Mallorean

Tomas or Arutha- Riftwar saga

Kurik- the elenium

Cohen- discworld

Fool- Robin Hobb.

jon snow- aSoIaF

Waylander- Drenai saga. Awesome character. I know gemmell is the other end of fantasy but when he writes the following about a character, you gotta love it:

"They are meldings. created to have increased speed, endurance and strength. Men combined with beasts is old, dark magic and the creations are more deadly than almost any human"

"Almost?" jenna laughed

"Nothing that lives is more deadly than the Grey Man" the preistess replied with a look of genuine sadness in her eyes.

Goose Bumps every time!

Ishara
11-15-2010, 09:09 AM
I know what you mean. I like F'lar more than Lessa, and I sort of agree with you on the basis of the first book only. But in the whole of Pern stories, those two are the best. Plus, I think that they're possibly the most believable Fantasy-couple where both the characters are cool on their own right yet fit together so very very well (although, the Brekke-F'nor storyline was really awesome too... just not as fleshed-out as the Lessa-F'lar one)

One of my biggest twitchy things about Pern is the lack of fleshed out characters - I would love to have more Brekke - F'nor backstory, and yet, not having it makes me want to imagine it...it's all a circle of want. That's why I loved the pre-Thread books so much, the development of those initial responses to Thread were amazing, the founders and the first dragon riders, Sorsha and Michael...gah.

Jonai
11-15-2010, 09:50 AM
*mutters something about bloody nobles and mud-footed farmers*

Elenium - Kurik?

I like the Elenium better too. Seemed darker than Belgariad. Sparhawk is one of my favorite characters. Tamuli was ok, but by then ole Spar was on social security, huffing and puffing down stairs.

Egwene at number 5? eeep.

I'm going to have to think about this character thing. If I'm not careful they will all come from WoT.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Egwene at number 5? eeep.

I'm going to have to think about this character thing. If I'm not careful they will all come from WoT.

That was an unordered list. Egwene is really somewhere in the top 3, Baggage being #1

Ish, it's Early Fantasy - Jordan hadn't released the Epic potential of fantasy yet ;) (and everyone thought Tolkien was much too long-winded)

Jonai
11-15-2010, 10:01 AM
whoa.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-15-2010, 10:07 AM
whoa.

please, go put your hating somewhere else. like on top of the cupboard where you can marvel at it whenever you want but it's not in the way of other discussions.

Davian93
11-15-2010, 01:00 PM
The Elenium by David Eddings was the very first fantasy series I ever read. Thus, I have a fondness for it well beyond its actual quality/level of writing.

I would put Eddings in the young adult section of Fantasy writing. Its well done and basic and a nice easy read...but all 5 Belgariad books are maybe the same length combined as ToM. All 3 Elenium books are 900 pages give or take total.

One thing that always disturbed me a little on the Elenium...how much older WAS Sparhawk compared to Ehlana? The smallest the age gap I could think of would be Sparhawk as an 18 year old knight in charge of the 4-5 year old Ehlana...making it a 13-14 year gap. Thus, when they get married, the gap is something like Sparhawk is 32-33 while Ehlana is 18. Not ridiculously bad but still a bit odd. But the comments on Bevier being very young (while we find out he's 29) make it look like Sparhawk is probably closer to 20 years older than her...and that's just weird. That puts Sparhawk in his mid-40s when the Tamuli takes place...pretty old by medieval standards, even for nobility.

Also, all the knights have noble titles...and we know in reality, most younger sons of Lords/Nobles didnt really have titles. They were blue blood but not anything more. Also, plenty of people in real medieval times became knights (the lowest form of nobility) so the whole "Kurik cant ever be a knight" thing was overblown.

Also, the distance traveled is ridiculous. "Well, that's 300 Leagues....should take us 20 days". Sorry, what?!? Shocked that Faran didnt die from that pace...especially since Eddings always had them traveling at a gallop.

So basically, I loved it at Age 12-13 but it hasn't aged all that well. I'm actually rereading the Elenium right now (finished Ruby Knight last night) as its an easy read and some things are sticking out. Stil, its the best of Eddings' works so there's that.

Daekyras
11-15-2010, 05:08 PM
So basically, I loved it at Age 12-13 but it hasn't aged all that well. I'm actually rereading the Elenium right now (finished Ruby Knight last night) as its an easy read and some things are sticking out. Stil, its the best of Eddings' works so there's that.

SNAP! I literally just finished ruby knight ad just took sapphire rose off the shelf. Ha i also wonder now about sparhawk. dirty old man syndrome. It never bothered me about a kid. Strange but i'm sure i won't enjoy talis getting goddess stalked in the tamuli when i reread it now. She's what, a 9 year old? Freaky.

Dewairah
11-18-2010, 08:55 PM
SNAP! I literally just finished ruby knight ad just took sapphire rose off the shelf. Ha i also wonder now about sparhawk. dirty old man syndrome. It never bothered me about a kid. Strange but i'm sure i won't enjoy talis getting goddess stalked in the tamuli when i reread it now. She's what, a 9 year old? Freaky.

Well not really - she's an immortal goddess who has been around for thousands/millions of years who is just chilling out in a girls until it grows into a woman old enough to hook up with the guy.

Its not quite as... inappropriate.. as you're making it out to be lol

Dewairah
11-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Did any of you enjoy the Druss novels?

Druss and Waylander are, hands down, two of my favourite characters.

They're both - in different ways - the most hardcore characters ever written.

Dewairah
11-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I recommend, if you can get copies, the "Chronicle of Tenebrak" series by Shannah Jay.

Very interesting sci-fi/fantasy blending. Really enjoyed it.

Jonai
11-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Kind of hard to tell with Sparhawk because he was rode hard and put away wet. Martel assassination attempts and all that. I think he was closer to the latter though Dav. Kind of creepy but I don't think he was macking her, more like entrapment on her part. lol.

As to my hate, I think it's already on top of the cupboard peeking out. I hardly said anything. lol.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-19-2010, 02:13 AM
I know, you were very mild :) thing is though, I strongly dislike arguing about characters. I like who I like and dislike who I dislike. Still somewhat grumpy from the whole Egwene-bashing hooplah and didn't want to get that started again;) sorry if I came off like Grumpus the Temper Tantrum

Jonai
11-19-2010, 02:25 AM
It's all good.

Daekyras
11-19-2010, 02:44 AM
Did any of you enjoy the Druss novels?

Druss and Waylander are, hands down, two of my favourite characters.

They're both - in different ways - the most hardcore characters ever written.

I hope you recognise my username...and avatar...

Belazamon
11-20-2010, 01:39 AM
I always just kind of assumed your avatar was some dude about to get devoured by an enraged anteater.

Dewairah
11-20-2010, 02:17 AM

lol of course I do.

One of the very men themselves.

Waylander stories are the ultimate tales of personal redemption. I think I'll have to revisit them soon.

I miss druss too - for being such an uncompromising hard bastard who'll cut his way to the end of the earth to get what he wants (his missus back) - now thats determination. I love the way he's just like this rock that the armies of the world break themselves on.

too good.

Jonai
11-20-2010, 04:01 AM
I prefer Bela's interpretation.

TankSpill
11-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi

Since the series is rapidly coming to an end, where are we all off to next? Stormblessed?

Have any forum members found another series that so enthralls them the way WoT did?

Has anyone found another fantasy/scifi etc series that generates theories the way WoT did?

Dewairah :)

Though the newest series (Shadowmarch) is over, Tad Williams' series generally pull in a lot of followers and good fans. Don't know yet what he's going to be working on next, but I imagine it will draw in flocks as well.

Also, yeah, Way of Kings and series will probably have tons of discussions over the next couple decades.

Spasmodean
11-21-2010, 08:26 AM
I don't normally read Sci-Fi and just stick to the fantasy stuff but a really really good read is the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton.

Not your usual sci-fi story but extremely enjoyable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reality_Dysfunction

Belazamon
11-21-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't normally read Sci-Fi and just stick to the fantasy stuff but a really really good read is the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton.
Liked it up 'til the end. The last hundred pages were... disappointing, to say the least.

dominominic
11-25-2010, 10:56 AM
This post is just full of win.

I can't believe your clerk has read them if he is recommending using them as anything other than kindling. Argh!

I second the Tad Williams love. Read Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. An excellent series(dragonbone chair, stone of farewell, To green angel tower) with many interesting characters. Good for a bit of theorising too if you can find someone who hasn't finished them.

If you just want something light try some David Gemmell. Like RJ, he went and died on me but his back catalogue is light, action fantasy of the highest order.

David Farlands Runelord books are also worth a read.(excellent magic system, possibly better than WoTs)

Robin Hobb- Good but I didn't like the Liveship books.

Yes to Farland's magic system. It's amazing.

Not so sure about the crystal insecty Alien-type thingys though. What were they called?

dominominic
11-25-2010, 11:03 AM
That was an unordered list. Egwene is really somewhere in the top 3, Baggage being #1

Ish, it's Early Fantasy - Jordan hadn't released the Epic potential of fantasy yet ;) (and everyone thought Tolkien was much too long-winded)

Just wondering:

By Baggage do you mean Luggage? Or is Baggage another Discworld character I haven't heard of?

Thanks!

GonzoTheGreat
11-25-2010, 11:19 AM
By Baggage do you mean Luggage? Or is Baggage another Discworld character I haven't heard of?Baggage is probably a misspelling of the Dutch name of the Luggage (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bagage).

dominominic
11-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Baggage is probably a misspelling of the Dutch name of the Luggage (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bagage).

Thanks, I thought it might be a translation thing either but I also thought suggesting that too would make my post a little unwieldy.

Sorta like this one is now.

FelixPax
11-25-2010, 11:24 PM
I second this recommendation. All of his books are great reads.

Ooh...koolaid!

Robert Jordan gives a third recommendation, for Guy Gavriel Kay (http://www.librarything.com/author/kayguygavriel). :D

Authors he recommended was Guy Gavriel Kay, CS Friedman and Ray Feist in the fantasy genre. Non-fantasy he recommended his major inspirator: Mark Twain. He wouldn't give any non-recommended authors.

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20000521203735/hem.passagen.se/kjnoren/jordan/rj-talk2.html
Compiler: Karl-Johan Norén at kjnoren@hem3.passagen.se
Notes Collection Named: talks and chats with Robert Jordan at the East of the Sun fantasy convention, Stockholm, Sweden the 16-18 of June 1995

Terez
11-26-2010, 01:04 AM
RJ also said good things about Neil Gaiman, which I can back up.

IMO nothing spawns theories like WoT, not even close. I don't think this aspect of WoT was intended to die with the end of the series, either.

However, Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson does offer up a comparable complexity. Its fans would say it's far more complex, but I think it is only more complex in certain ways - it doesn't seem to have the same connectivity as WoT, and the story is not as engaging.

yks 6nnetu hing
11-26-2010, 03:01 AM
Just wondering:

By Baggage do you mean Luggage? Or is Baggage another Discworld character I haven't heard of?

Thanks!

eh, yes :o it's a translation thing, I read it first in Estonian where Baggage and Luggage is the same word.

Ishara
11-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Robert Jordan gives a third recommendation, for Guy Gavriel Kay (http://www.librarything.com/author/kayguygavriel). :D

Awwww...It's true. And, one of my favourite inter-author moments, after RJ died, GGK delivered the Toastmaster Speech (http://www.brightweavings.com/ggkswords/wfc2007.htm) at the World Fantasy Awards, which I've linked. Quite touching in my opinion.

morat'corlm
11-27-2010, 09:04 PM
The only authors in fantasy I'm currently following are R. Scott Bakker and Guy Gavriel Kay. I hope Scott Lynch finishes his next book, too, and while I've read Abercrombie I'm honestly drawing a blank right now. There are a few others who haven't published anything I like in a while–Wolfe, Hobb, Martin, probably others I can't recall–but who I won't snap up immediately. I don't feel a real inclination to read more Sanderson, and Pratchett is not to my taste. I'm perpetually surprised that Goodkind and Erikson are to anyone's taste.

Ozymandias
11-30-2010, 10:08 PM

I've never read Pratchett either.

I will again submit my claim that the Book of the New Sun is the greatest series ever composed.

Be warned, you need patience and a dictionary to appreciate the brilliance. Its downright riveting.

Going forward, gonna keep an eye on Stormlight Archive (though I'm having some trouble seeing that plot play out for another 9 books, though I suppose I could say the same about WoT after EotW).

Davian93
12-01-2010, 07:38 AM
I know Under Heaven just came out in April but does anyone know if GGK is currently working on a new project? If so, is there any word on what it is?

Ishara
12-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Penguins.

It's the running joke on brightweavings.com. He never reveals what he's working on until it's done. He won't even hint at a time period or a geographical location beuace it's too easy for people to identify what he may be working on.

Also, his process is research-based. So he'll start by reading a ton of books on different things until he finds a thread he likes and then follow that thread reading more non-fiction books on the topic until he works something out. He's always said he doeesn't necessarily write his stories with a solid idea of what happens throughout to everyone. he lets the characters have their heads, so to speak.

Maybe South America next? Maybe Russia? There are som MANY fascinating things he could do with so many interesting places/ time periods!

Davian93
12-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Penguins.

It's the running joke on brightweavings.com. He never reveals what he's working on until it's done. He won't even hint at a time period or a geographical location beuace it's too easy for people to identify what he may be working on.

Also, his process is research-based. So he'll start by reading a ton of books on different things until he finds a thread he likes and then follow that thread reading more non-fiction books on the topic until he works something out. He's always said he doeesn't necessarily write his stories with a solid idea of what happens throughout to everyone. he lets the characters have their heads, so to speak.

Maybe South America next? Maybe Russia? There are som MANY fascinating things he could do with so many interesting places/ time periods!

Russia would be interesting...or maybe something a little later historically in W. Europe (say 14th-15th century) building on what he's already done there.

Thanks Ishara...I had googled it, dug through a bunch of stuff on Brightweavings and couldn't find anything so I figured I'd ask.

Good enough for me.

Ishara
12-01-2010, 01:44 PM
their forums hurt me a little - so disorganized!

CreationEdge
12-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Has anyone read the Shannara books? I used to have 1 (The Elfstones of Shannarra I think?) It's been the better part of a decade since I've read it, but I knew there was a lot of other books in the series.

Any good?

GonzoTheGreat
12-20-2010, 09:06 AM
As far as I'm concerned, reading one Shannara book is plenty. That's quite a nice read, but after that it became repetitive. Other people have a different view of it, though.

CuShMaN
12-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Goodkind's Sot series is on my Ban list for my boys. My 10 year old is starting to get into fantasy.. and I'm easing him in slowly.. about ready to start him on Xanth. I know, I know.. Anthony has a boob fetish.. but it's better than Goodkind's horrible S&M craziness that manifested in the "Stone of Tears". I had to put the book down after Richard escaped.. and then I threw it in the trash. It's one thing, to watch Rand go crazy with a male a'dam on... or even struggle within the box.. but it takes a warped mind to use your book series to flesh-out your perverted bondage fantasies like Goodkind does.

Weird Harold
12-20-2010, 09:43 AM
As far as I'm concerned, reading one Shannara book is plenty. That's quite a nice read, but after that it became repetitive. Other people have a different view of it, though.
The first trilogy was good. Brooks should have stopped there, twenty-some years ago. :(

GonzoTheGreat
12-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Which raises the question: where did Goodkind steal the bondage and sadism parts? He got everything* else from other people's books, so it seems unlikely that he came up with these BDSM scenarios on his own.

Edited to add:
WH, stop butting in.

* Apart from the chicken. Never forget the chicken.

CreationEdge
12-20-2010, 09:53 AM
I have to say, though, that most villains I've ever read aren't quite... lame.

While Jagang's perversions were too graphic (and repetitive), they did serve to illustrate a true villain who has no care for human life. He did things that most authors don't, well, dare to do with their villains. The most evil things they do are kill your, or kill your family, and maybe torture you a little.

I got tired of reading about those things, but it did put in your mind that the Empire was evil and disgusting.

Whereas, the Forsaken might be killers... But Semirhage is the only one I can think of that really seemed sadistic. The others just give me the impression of petty and selfish, but with great power. And at this point, most of them are whipped by either Mor, SH, or the DO himself.

I think Fain is the only evil in the character in the books that really seems evil, continually, to me.

Davian93
12-20-2010, 10:18 AM
The first trilogy was good. Brooks should have stopped there, twenty-some years ago. :(

Its basically the same book over and over and over again.

Also, his "world" was so ridiculously small. The main characters could basically walk from elf land to dwarf land in like 3 days. His "world map" was maybe 100 miles across in all reality.

But like WH stated, the first trilogy was decent.

CuShMaN
12-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Which raises the question: where did Goodkind steal the bondage and sadism parts? He got everything* else from other people's books, so it seems unlikely that he came up with these BDSM scenarios on his own.

That's a good question. Until I came across it in Sot, I really hadn't read anything quite so graphic before. It's basically porn.

Ishara
12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I'd say that some of Anthony's books display a pretty obvious tilt towards the misogynistic world view as well...but not mostly in Xanth.

Davian93
12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
GRRM=Sexual relations, sometimes excessive, done well and are part of the story

TG=sexual (and I hesitate to use the word relations as he's just a sick perv with woman hating issues) relations are ridiculous, perverted and very disturbing.

nameless
12-20-2010, 10:06 PM
I liked Shannara as a kid, but they really are just the same book over and over. Brooks had this thing going where he'd make one character really, really likeable and then kill them off 2/3 of the way through to heighten the emotional impact. It got to the point where I'd know who was gonna die 20 pages in.

Goodkind's work is pure exploitation, and complaints of misogyny are dead on in my opinion. The only female characters he treats with any decency are the ones who act just like men.

Piers Anthony is a strange one... at times he seems very misogynistic, and at times he's incredibly perverted, but he presents the whole mileu with such a wide-eyed innocence, like he couldn't imagine anyone would possibly object to a story about a man who has sex with shape-shifting horses or whatever, and that innocence is so disarming that it's easy to overlook his bizarre take on sexuality.