PDA

View Full Version : Rand and LLT

Cortar
11-10-2010, 02:18 AM
I don't know if anyone ever wondered this but...

Since Rand/LLT is the Dragon and has been reborn as long as the wheel has been turning (i.e. infinitely), why then did Rand ONLY get LLT's memories during his time on dragonmount?

Another interesting thing to add:
When Brigitte was torn from the pattern, she had HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of memories from past lives.

So why in the world did Rand only get one?

Servus Christi
11-10-2010, 03:51 AM
In Rand's case, he only needs to remember himself as Lews Therin. In Silverbow's case, what happened to her was unnatural. It was an evil thing Moggy did. Silverbow shouldn't have any memories.

Belazamon
11-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Since Rand/LLT is the Dragon and has been reborn as long as the wheel has been turning (i.e. infinitely), why then did Rand ONLY get LLT's memories during his time on dragonmount?
Because Rand al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn, not the Dragon And About A Million And A Half Other Guys Reborn.

:D

Cortar
11-17-2010, 03:16 AM
Because Rand al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn, not the Dragon And About A Million And A Half Other Guys Reborn.

:D

But actually, yes, yes he is, he has been reborn many, many times, not just as LLT and Rand

morat'corlm
11-17-2010, 03:21 AM
Perhaps that's just the nature of the second and third ages in the cycle.

In any case, the name is Lews Therin Telamon, so it would be LTT.

One Armed Gimp
11-17-2010, 04:50 AM
It could be that he does not focus on those memories. We know that he remembered thousands of past lives during his epiphany so, its not unreasonable to believe he has some access.

On the flip side, Brigitte is losing her memories over time, but she was T'A'R for much longer than Rand was his epiphany moment, maybe the fading was much quicker for him.

Belazamon
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
But actually, yes, yes he is, he has been reborn many, many times, not just as LLT and Rand
Well, yes, everyone is reborn time and time again as the Wheel weaves. But as Graendal said:

"It may well be that, as many believe, all are born and reborn as the Wheel turns, but nothing like this has ever happened that I have read. A specific man reborn according to prophecy. Who knows what he is?"

Bryan
11-17-2010, 11:23 PM
He probably doesn't remember past lives cause if he did he would undoubtedly know how to defeat the dark one and then we wouldn't have our necessary dramatic tension.

Belazamon
11-18-2010, 12:38 AM
He probably doesn't remember past lives cause if he did he would undoubtedly know how to defeat the dark one and then we wouldn't have our necessary dramatic tension.
But the Dark One has never been "defeated," per se, only sealed away. And since the Ages are only basically cyclical - that is, the details are always different - what worked to seal the DO in past Turnings needn't work in this Age.

GonzoTheGreat
11-18-2010, 04:18 AM
He probably doesn't remember past lives cause if he did he would undoubtedly know how to defeat the dark one and then we wouldn't have our necessary dramatic tension.The DO definitely does remember how he was defeated* those previous times. I do not think he will let himself be caught by the exact same trick once again. So having Rand remember those occasions too won't give him a significant advantage. It might even give him a disadvantage, if he tries to repeat one of those previous cases, and the DO now has a counter-strategy for it.

* Sealed away, which is a kind of defeat.