PDA

View Full Version : Bloodknives

gholam
11-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Are there some still left in the WT?
I am not sure. Only 3 are accounted for. I think there are more.

Are they going to be problem yet? I wish this time around they succeed in getting rid of Eggy:)

Davian93
11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Are there some still left in the WT?
I am not sure. Only 3 are accounted for. I think there are more.

Are they going to be problem yet? I wish this time around they succeed in getting rid of Eggy:)

4 are accounted for. Bryne killed one in TGS and Gawyn killed 3 in ToM.

I dont know how many they sent total though off the top of my head. A half dozen maybe?

Khoram
11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
How many were sent in originally? Cause if we count the Bloodknife in TGS, that makes four dead. I seem to remember 6 being sent. That would mean that there's at least two more, maybe more.

It could be that the others died because they left the ring ter'angreal on instead of constantly taking them off to prolong their lives.

Either way, there aren't very many left, if there are any alive at all.

GonzoTheGreat
11-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, the one that Gareth Bryne and Siuan killed in TGS could probably also count as "accounted for".
Five of them were sent out. Perhaps the last one got bored and has stepped into a stasis box?

gholam
11-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Well, the one that Gareth Bryne and Siuan killed in TGS could probably also count as "accounted for".
Five of them were sent out. Perhaps the last one got bored and has stepped into a stasis box?

I just hope he's still around, you know, waiting to kill Eggy

Landro
11-10-2010, 12:08 PM
According to tGS ch36, 5 Bloodknifes were sent by Tuon.

I think the fifth one was killed off screen.

Khoram
11-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Chances are that happened, otherwise there would have been mention of the last one. Unless he/she's just biding his/her time, keeping the ring ter'angreal off...

ShadowbaneX
11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
*sigh* I just want to state this information, but I know that I'm going to have to go hunting for the quote regardless. The fifth one did die, killed two soldiers and a warder in the process, but she's dead.

edit: it was easier to find then I thought.She pulled over the other stool, sitting down in front of him. She was calm and serene, but he could sense that she was overwhelmed by events during the night. Servants were still dealing with the bloodstains and the bodies while Chubain was holding the entire Tower at alert, checking on each and every sister. One other assassin had turned up. They'd lost two soldiers and a Warder killing her.

So Gareth kills one, Gawyn kills three, and the last killed off screen. There's your five.

Neilbert
11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
*sigh* I just want to state this information, but I know that I'm going to have to go hunting for the quote regardless. The fifth one did die, killed two soldiers and a warder in the process, but she's dead.

I came here to post this, wondering how so many people missed it. Props to you.

gholam
11-11-2010, 02:03 AM
That was sneaky. I was actually trying to make something out of the missing bloodknife.

Landro
11-11-2010, 02:07 AM
The fun part is that even though all the Bloodknives are dead now, The AS don't know that and might still fear there are more hiding.

Mat is Better
11-11-2010, 02:10 AM
I wish this time around they succeed in getting rid of Eggy:)

I wish they'd killed Egwene and Gawyn. I'm tired of his whining: "Rand killed my mommy...Rand's the Dragon and I'm not...I should be a prince but I'd rather neglect my duty..."

That f'n guy. :mad:

Frenzy
11-11-2010, 02:27 AM
and yet everyone seems to think Taim is cool even though he has a bigger Demandred complex than Gawyn.

Must be because of his cool black coat. Cool kids love black.

GonzoTheGreat
11-11-2010, 06:03 AM
and yet everyone seems to think Taim is cool even though he has a bigger Demandred complex than Gawyn.

Must be because of his cool black coat. Cool kids love black.That, and he isn't whining about how Rand killed his mother.

Khoram
11-11-2010, 08:54 AM
That, and he isn't whining about how Rand killed his mother.

Nor is he complaining he's not really the Dragon Reborn ;)

Thanks Shadowbane for the quote. I remember it, now. :D

crue
11-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I wish they'd killed Egwene and Gawyn. I'm tired of his whining: "Rand killed my mommy...Rand's the Dragon and I'm not...I should be a prince but I'd rather neglect my duty..."

That f'n guy. :mad:

Take comfort that Gawyn will ultimately do something stupid and activate the ter'angreal, leading finally to his death.

At least, I hope this happens. I can't imagine why else he would have kept all three rings.

WinespringBrother
11-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Take comfort that Gawyn will ultimately do something stupid and activate the ter'angreal, leading finally to his death.

At least, I hope this happens. I can't imagine why else he would have kept all three rings.

Well, he was warned that the Bloodknives are poisoned, and so he should know what consequences to expect from using the rings. Besides the Warder bond may make a difference.

GonzoTheGreat
11-11-2010, 10:14 AM
At least, I hope this happens. I can't imagine why else he would have kept all three rings.Tuon will approach Egwene arrogantly, notice the rings and ask about it. She will be rather shocked upon hearing that one man butchered three Bloodknives and lived to tell the tale.

Edited to add: the asking bit is a weak point in my theory, I have to admit. I sort of have to ignore a rather large amount of female arrogance in order to make it work.

Nei
11-14-2010, 03:10 AM
Actually I have a question about the Bloodknives scene. Just before the fight starts, Gawyn notices a maid strung up by Air.

I'm curious, who strung her up? Was it a trap set by Egwene and mistakenly triggered by the maid? Could it really have been such a convenient coincidence? I'm a little disappointed if Egwene only thought to set one trap. You'd think she'd have learned more about being prepared after her carelessness got her captured way back.

morat'corlm
11-14-2010, 03:19 AM
My reading of it was that the Bloodknife Gawyn encountered in Ch. 22 observed the traps being set off when Gawyn opened Egwene's door, and they decided to toss a Tower servant in to trigger them before entering themselves.

Andrac
11-14-2010, 03:43 AM
It would kind of be sad to see egwene bite the dust since she was one of the original characters, but I really hope she does get knocked off unless she has her own rand at dragonmount type of event. Her character turn a couple of books ago is REALLY annoying. The sheer arrogance she has attained within the last 2-3 months is astounding. I mean she is basically at the point now where its "I'm the amyrlin seat so that means I own the world and everyone should do exactly as I say."

RIP bloodknives.

GonzoTheGreat
11-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Actually I have a question about the Bloodknives scene. Just before the fight starts, Gawyn notices a maid strung up by Air.

I'm curious, who strung her up? Was it a trap set by Egwene and mistakenly triggered by the maid? Could it really have been such a convenient coincidence? I'm a little disappointed if Egwene only thought to set one trap. You'd think she'd have learned more about being prepared after her carelessness got her captured way back.The bloodknives tossed in the maid, as morat'corlm said. Then one of them followed, in order to spring the remaining traps. Then the next one. The last was supposed to kill the Amyrlin, and hopefully get the other Bloodknives out of the traps.
Of course, that plan sort of went out of the window when there weren't any other traps to spring. But they didn't know that, which is what allowed Gawyn to come in time.

missbee
11-14-2010, 06:35 AM
I'm going to give Egwene the benefit of doubt and say that maybe she put up other wards/traps against people channelling, she was expecting Mesaana after all

GonzoTheGreat
11-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Which is still bloody stupid, as she already knew that knives had been used in the previous murders. Even if it had been Mesaana, channeling might not have been involved at all.

morat'corlm
11-14-2010, 08:18 AM
For a person who can undetectably teleport herself anywhere in the building or for that matter on the planet after setting the traps to remain there afterwards isn't all too bright, either. Would it be too hard to crash in Verin's room sub rosa and gate back every morning to see what the night's catch was?

...sorry. A trap isn't a trap if you know it's a trap. And as a corollary, you aren't actually bait if you use yourself as bait in a trap you know to be a trap.

crue
11-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Well, he was warned that the Bloodknives are poisoned, and so he should know what consequences to expect from using the rings.

You're expecting Gawyn to remember things he was told?

Regardless, I don't think he knows that all it takes to activate them is a drop of blood. Wearing all three around his neck seems dangerous. He can cut himself shaving and end up activating all three rings at once.

GonzoTheGreat
11-14-2010, 10:25 AM
You're expecting Gawyn to remember things he was told?He remembered who had killed his mother, didn't he?

missbee
11-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Which is still bloody stupid, as she already knew that knives had been used in the previous murders. Even if it had been Mesaana, channeling might not have been involved at all.

I agree she's stupid not to protect herself better but I can't imagine Mesaana not using the OP
picture this...

...Knife in hand, the mighty Mesaana creeps on her tip toes towards the softly snoring Egwene...

nah,

GonzoTheGreat
11-14-2010, 12:29 PM
It may be difficult to imagine, but that's precisely how all those other murders happened. If they had been done by Mesaana (as Egwene thought), then she should have prepared* for something similar aimed at her.

* I first wrote "expected". But that is not correct. You should not blindly expect your enemy to do the same thing he did before.

Davian93
11-14-2010, 06:38 PM

I'm curious, who strung her up? Was it a trap set by Egwene and mistakenly triggered by the maid? Could it really have been such a convenient coincidence? I'm a little disappointed if Egwene only thought to set one trap. You'd think she'd have learned more about being prepared after her carelessness got her captured way back.

Dude...ITS EGWENE.

Belazamon
11-14-2010, 09:21 PM
For a person who can undetectably teleport herself anywhere in the building or for that matter on the planet after setting the traps to remain there afterwards isn't all too bright, either. Would it be too hard to crash in Verin's room sub rosa and gate back every morning to see what the night's catch was?
If it really was Mesaana, I doubt Egwene would want to give her a full night to wriggle out of being caught.

morat'corlm
11-14-2010, 10:48 PM
If it really was Mesaana, I doubt Egwene would want to give her a full night to wriggle out of being caught.There's no reason the wards couldn't alert her when they were triggered, like Graendal's alarm when Ramshalan arrived.

Oh wait, Egwene was spending the entire night in Tel'aran'rhiod and couldn't react to the wards anyway.

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 10:54 PM
I wonder if there was a way for her to set the wards up to alert her when they were broken even if she was in TAR.

Belazamon
11-14-2010, 11:01 PM
There's no reason the wards couldn't alert her when they were triggered, like Graendal's alarm when Ramshalan arrived.
Thought of that - but if you're dealing with someone as (reputably) dangerous as one of the Chosen, even that extra two seconds could be vital.

I'm not saying Egwene was right, by any means - just that I can (kind of) see why she wanted to be there the instant Mesaana showed her face... er, Mask of Mirrors.

GonzoTheGreat
11-15-2010, 04:46 AM
I'm not saying Egwene was right, by any means - just that I can (kind of) see why she wanted to be there the instant Mesaana showed her face... er, Mask of Mirrors.But, as already pointed out, being there is not particularly useful if you are effectively comatose. Of course, it has also already been pointed out that this is Egwene, and being useful is not something she is often guilty of.

What she did was entirely in character. She failed even at that, though, when she did not berate Gawyn over barging into her bedroom uninvited.