PDA

View Full Version : Tam Al thor in 2 places at once..

Airyana
11-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Does any one else find it odd that Tam Al thor is in Perrin's camp training refugees to fight the last Battle and also at the same time supposedly greeting his estranged son in Tear... Please tell me this is planned an not an oversight of our gracious Author who has taken on the weight of the Wheel of time....

Terez
11-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Perrin's timeline is behind Rand's, so it's not a goof.

Ammord
11-10-2010, 09:44 PM
ya eventually Perrin catches up to the point where Tam leaves.

NaeffOfDreams
11-10-2010, 11:01 PM
It's actually pretty evident in the text. Rand "seeing" Perrin with Galad in TGS should be enough to set the timeline, but then you have Rand's epiphany on Dragonmount in the chapter "Men Dream Here" in TOM, setting Tam's journey to Tear the day before.

Res_Ipsa
11-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Tam also goes to Perrin to tell him he must leave but cannot say why.

Madgod
11-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Sort of off topic, but the only timeline I couldn't figure out relative to the others was Aviendha. So, Where is she in relation to everyone else?

flinn
11-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Not to be mean. I have seen this same question asked numerous times, especially on facebook. How can you read all the books in this series and not understand the timeline? It was pretty clear to me who was where in the timeline.

jana
11-11-2010, 12:22 AM
I don't get why people are having such a huge issue with this. It took me a half second to register the timeline stuff. You'd see the whirl of colors and Rand was in Ebou Dar, and you knew where Perrin was in time compared to him.

amaginon
11-14-2010, 09:41 AM
the thing is when you are reading a book you usually expect it to be linear, unless otherwise specified. It wasn't obvious to me when reading that Perrins timeline still hadn't even reached where rand's timeline had reached in the last book, until later on in the story. I think thats a very poor choice on the writers part, jumping backwards and forwards in a timeline from chapter to chapter, for no discernible purpose

Terez
11-14-2010, 09:55 AM
the thing is when you are reading a book you usually expect it to be linear
After all this time, you still expect WoT to be linear? Speak for yourself.

David Selig
11-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Tam's timeline switches didn't confuse me at all.

The main trouble I had with the timeline in ToM was that Elayne's first meeting with Egwene in Chapter 14 is few days after "Veins of Gold" and then there are a few of Elayne's PoV chapters set before "Veins of Gold".

amaginon
11-14-2010, 10:48 AM
After all this time, you still expect WoT to be linear? Speak for yourself.

yes, I actually did :p. I suppose it comes from having almost given up on the books between Book 11 and Book 12, so without the constant rereads i may have forgotten some things. Also it could be that ToM is the first wot book where I've listened to the audio book before I've actually read the book. (Not recommended as its easier to distract yourself when you are listening to something rather than reading it)

Terez
11-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Tam's timeline switches didn't confuse me at all.

The main trouble I had with the timeline in ToM was that Elayne's first meeting with Egwene in Chapter 14 is few days after "Veins of Gold" and then there are a few of Elayne's PoV chapters set before "Veins of Gold".
It's pretty much the same thing.

yes, I actually did :p. I suppose it comes from having almost given up on the books between Book 11 and Book 12, so without the constant rereads i may have forgotten some things. Also it could be that ToM is the first wot book where I've listened to the audio book before I've actually read the book. (Not recommended as its easier to distract yourself when you are listening to something rather than reading it)
The overlap started getting really noticeable in book 7. Crossroads of Twilight didn't catch up to Winter's Heart until page 357.

Also, Alpert Mull.

amaginon
11-14-2010, 12:17 PM
I remember that. It annoyed at the time. but from what I remember the timeline didn't shuffle around during chapters. It just showed Egwene's PoV in one continuous burst until it had caught up. I don't remember it interspersing her PoV with other character PoVs that existed in the future.

Davian93
11-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Its not common knowledge apparently but BS & Co had to split aMoL into 3 different novels due to the size of it. This is book 2 of that split so there are obviously some minor "confusions" associated with that split.

amaginon
11-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Its not common knowledge apparently but BS & Co had to split aMoL into 3 different novels due to the size of it. This is book 2 of that split so there are obviously some minor "confusions" associated with that split.

Is that facetiousness or a strawman? I know why there is chapters out of order. It's obvious they weren't written yet. Still makes it annoying. Might as well watch a tv show with episodes out of order.

Davian93
11-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Is that facetiousness or a strawman? I know why there is chapters out of order. It's obvious they weren't written yet. Still makes it annoying. Might as well watch a tv show with episodes out of order.

More me being a smartass than anything.

Welcome to Theoryland!