PDA

View Full Version : True power Travelling

Daekyras
11-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Only have a few minutes so can't go look for myself but could someone direct me to passages in the books that show moridin travelling with the true power?

I think there are several. I know this is lazy/weak, but just working hard at the mo and have no real time.

Sorry for cluttering up the boards.

Also, did Verin give Galad a letter??
Just wondering

Jonai
11-11-2010, 04:53 AM
Well there's always the prologue of tEotW when he was still Ishamael. There's the ending of the chapter "Patterns within Patterns" in aCoS where he Travels as the Wanderer. The end of Chapter 2 of tPoD also has Moridin Traveling using the True Power. Not sure what you are looking for, but the True Power always operates by damaging or destroying the Pattern. In the case of Traveling, he tears a whole in the Pattern. ^^

Terez
11-11-2010, 05:24 AM
He used it in the Stone. Rand might have, too.

AbbeyRoad
11-11-2010, 06:13 AM
He used it in the Stone. Rand might have, too.
I doubt it. When Rand reaches for the True Power in TGS, it is described as "alien" and he has a reaction that is very indicative that he would remember if he had touched it before. In short, the True Power is very distinctive and I'm pretty sure he would remember having channeled it before, even if he didn't know what he was doing.

Tamyrlin
11-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm starting to think that what I always thought was something else, the ripping/tearing of the Pattern that Moridin would do, is actually True Power Skimming.

Not sure why I didn't connect the two before.

X.X.
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
So..could one say True Power Travelling is like the Kool-Aid man busting through a wall (sans the OH YEAH!)?

Mort
11-11-2010, 12:47 PM
So..could one say True Power Travelling is like the Kool-Aid man busting through a wall (sans the OH YEAH!)?

Do you have evidence of Moridin NOT shouting OH YEAH after he travels? No? Yeah I thought so...

:D

(For the record, if I always bust through the pattern like that, I would definetely shout "OH YEAH!")

Crispin's Crispian
11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Do you have evidence of Moridin NOT shouting OH YEAH after he travels? No? Yeah I thought so...

:D

(For the record, if I always bust through the pattern like that, I would definetely shout "OH YEAH!")
In the Void, no one can hear you say, "OH YEAH!"

Terez
11-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I doubt it. When Rand reaches for the True Power in TGS, it is described as "alien"
Yeah, but way back when, saidin was pretty alien to him too. I can see it seeming all the same to him.

Belazamon
11-11-2010, 01:40 PM
In the Void, no one can hear you say, "OH YEAH!"
Except random passing gholam.

Mort
11-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Except random passing gholam.

That would be pretty funny, opening up a gateway, stepping out on the platform and see a gholam zip by :D

By the way... considering that Shadowspawn doesn't survive simply passing through a gateway, the gholam might have died just by being forced through the gateway. I never thought of that before now.

Belazamon
11-11-2010, 01:49 PM
That would be pretty funny, opening up a gateway, stepping out on the platform and see a gholam zip by :D

By the way... considering that Shadowspawn doesn't survive simply passing through a gateway, the gholam might have died just by being forced through the gateway. I never thought of that before now.
No, it was still alive when Mat knocked it off the Skimming platform. It seems that gholam don't suffer the same restriction...? That seems odd.

Terez
11-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Someone asked Brandon. He said gholam aren't constructs. Which apparently means that they are modified humans.

Belazamon
11-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Someone asked Brandon. He said gholam aren't constructs. Which apparently means that they are modified humans.
That's odd, since the BWB appears to categorize them as Shadowspawn constructs. But there is at least a dash of wiggle-room in that paragraph, I suppose.

Mort
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Sounds like a painful procedure. They gave some dude osteoporosis (http://www.medicinenet.com/osteoporosis/article.htm) with a twist :P

saxedspc
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I've thought to myself on a couple/three occasions whether shadowspawn would react (die) to TP travelling the same way they do to a gateway opened with the OP.

Belazamon
11-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Sounds like a painful procedure. They gave some dude osteoporosis (http://www.medicinenet.com/osteoporosis/article.htm) with a twist :P
Lots and lots and lots of twists, actually.

I've thought to myself on a couple/three occasions whether shadowspawn would react (die) to TP travelling the same way they do to a gateway opened with the OP.
I would imagine not, since I believe it's been stated that the TP was actively involved in their creation. But I don't remember the specific mechanism that RJ cited for them being unable to survive the transport, so I'd guess it's a RAFO.

Jonai
11-12-2010, 01:00 AM
It's passing through the gateway that kills them, doesn't matter if its OP or TP, it's the gateway itself, not what makes it.

Thanks a lot guys, now I'm going to have this disturbing mental image whenever I read about Ishy (OH YEAAAAAH)

Seemed pretty similar to skimming Tam, since he ripped a hole and stepped outside the Pattern.

Gholams are supposed to have a life span between modern Aes Sedai and AoL Aes Sedai. Beotch be fallin' for a while. :)

ChiefsFan
11-12-2010, 01:55 AM
It's passing through the gateway that kills them, doesn't matter if its OP or TP, it's the gateway itself, not what makes it.

Thanks a lot guys, now I'm going to have this disturbing mental image whenever I read about Ishy (OH YEAAAAAH)

Seemed pretty similar to skimming Tam, since he ripped a hole and stepped outside the Pattern.

Gholams are supposed to have a life span between modern Aes Sedai and AoL Aes Sedai. Beotch be fallin' for a while. :)

He will prolly starve since he has no blood to consume. I wonder how long they can go without?

GonzoTheGreat
11-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Can't he live on the occasional Aiel falling there?
Rand dropped at least one when he went to visit Rahvin, and he's probably not the only one who now and then mislays house keys or Stone Dogs.

Neilbert
11-12-2010, 11:05 AM
What I was wondering during that whole scene was why Mat had to kick the Gholem off the edge. It made it more dramatic, but couldn't the Kinswoman maintaining the Gateway have just caused the platform under the Gholam to not exist with a thought?

Jonai
11-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Seems risky. Might have odin falling through the void for eternity, too.