PDA

View Full Version : The New Hall of the Tower

Terez
11-12-2010, 09:48 AM
So, now we know that the too-young Sitters were chosen as placeholders, essentially...or women that the pre-schism Sitters and Ajah Heads thought they could control. We all figured that when the Hall was reunified that most of the too-young ones would step down.

For the most part, that's what happened. But the odd thing is that there were three too-young Green Sitters: Rina with the Tower, and Samalin and Malind with the rebels. But we have one new Green Sitter who has been chosen: Farnah. We know that none of them were Black. Why were none of the three considered worthy, to the point that they chose someone completely different? True, none of the too-young Sitters were kept. But that seemed rather odd to me.

Also interesting is that Ferane (Head of the White) chose to keep her seat in the Hall, but Suana (Head of the Yellow) did not. I wonder if there was some sort of battle of wills between Romanda and Suana.

And the two other Blue Sitters were somehow not mentioned at the only Hall meeting in the book. At least, I think it was the only meeting. I assume that Lyrelle is still one of them, as she wasn't Black, but Moira was Black, so I have no idea who the third is.

Yellow

Romanda
Magla
Doesine

Red

Barasine
Raechin Connoral
Viria Connoral

Blue

Lelaine
Lyrelle?
?

White

Saroiya
Ferane
Seaine

Brown

Takima
Saerin
Janya

Green

Rubinde
Faiselle
Farnah

Gray

Varilin
Andaya
Yukiri

Davian93
11-12-2010, 10:09 AM
With Romanda back in the Tower, its possible that she's back in charge of the Yellow Ajah (which could make Nynaeve's life a bit interesting all things considered)

Terez
11-12-2010, 10:18 AM
I doubt that. She was Head of the Yellow in Salidar, which is what probably gave her a bargaining position with Suana, but I smell a compromise.

The Angry Druid
11-12-2010, 02:25 PM
I believe all the too young Sitters are gone, except for Andaya (Gray). I think she was a TY sitter in the Tower, but I can't recall for certain.

Davian93
11-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I doubt that. She was Head of the Yellow in Salidar, which is what probably gave her a bargaining position with Suana, but I smell a compromise.

Yeah but wasnt she in retirement prior to the Split. If she's back out of retirement, she's probably the oldest and strongest Yellow (outside of Nynaeve on strength obviously) so she could very easily take control of the Ajah from Suana.

kikokix
11-12-2010, 04:37 PM
From the Glossary, Suana is still mentioned as First Weaver. Stepping down once the Tower was united was part of the plan anyway for her, so I guess Romanda, wanting to retain some form of power, still became Sitter, but had to give up the head of ajah position.

morat'corlm
11-12-2010, 04:55 PM
But we have one new Green Sitter who has been chosen: Farnah. We know that none of them were Black. Why were none of the three considered worthy, to the point that they chose someone completely different? True, none of the too-young Sitters were kept. But that seemed rather odd to me.I think the answer lies in another question: who is Lorstrum Aesnan?

That new names were introduced where old ones would do better in several cases like this was one of the things that irritated me about this book. Did BS just want to use all the contributor names he collected?

Terez
11-13-2010, 12:13 AM
I think the answer lies in another question: who is Lorstrum Aesnan?
I don't remember that name. I'll be crippled until the ebook is done.

I believe all the too young Sitters are gone, except for Andaya (Gray). I think she was a TY sitter in the Tower, but I can't recall for certain.
True, Andaya was too young. I'd forgotten that. I imagine that the decisions were made within the Ajahs, though. It just seems strange to me that the Greens felt the too-young ones had to go, to the point of choosing an entirely new Sitter. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Greens' constant opposition to Egwene.

morat'corlm
11-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I don't remember that name. I'll be crippled until the ebook is done.
Birgitte knew her cue. She entered, leading the group of Cairhienin nobles. They had been invited to a display of Andor's new weapon for "defending against the Shadow," and were a mixed band. The most important in the group was probably either Bertome Saighan or Lorstrum Aesnan.

[...]

Lorstrum Aesnan was a quiet, thin man who walked with his hands behind his back, and tended to look down his nose. Like the others in the group, he wore dark clothing after the Cairhienin fashion, his coat striped with the colors of his House. He had risen to prominence following Rand's disappearance from Cairhien. Desperate times made for quick advances, and this man had not moved against Rand too quickly, yet also hadn't allied with him. That middle ground gave him power, and some whispered that he was considering seizing the throne.
I mean, really? We know more about the politics and great houses of Cairhien than any nation except Andor or Tear, maybe Andor alone. Linda has an excellent summation here (http://13depository.blogspot.com/2002/03/noble-houses-of-cairhien.html). It's been hammered into us that Riatin and Damodred are the two most powerful houses, with Saighan pulling a distant third, yet suddenly this previously unheard-of (unless Maringil is to be retconned into House Aesnan) upstart apparently has backing enough to "seize" the Sun Throne.

It strikes me as very similar to the introduction of Farnah–really, more egregious, but similar in kind. Maybe it was an ill-considered plan of Jordan's, maybe Sanderson just wanted to use up those names, but either way it's getting late for these kind of revelatory introductions.