PDA

View Full Version : Sanderson/Flaws

Tower of Ghanja
11-12-2010, 05:57 PM
This is not a BS bashing thread.

As a writer myself, it is staggering to think what Brandon faced finishing up this series.

RJ left so many threads dangling, and built up certain subplots to the point where, honestly, I don't think RJ could have finished them in "one more book." Or even three.

So BS was faced with truncating the less important subplots, which has led to some dissatisfaction among readers.

"But Carlinya was supposed to" and "WTF? Nicola's dead?" etc.

And yes, the resolutions to Masema and Asnunawa and Byar were very abrupt. But the flip side is each of those had been built up to be potential Plot Lines of Doom to rival the original Faile/Malden/Prophet travesty. RJ, creator love him, had many talents - succinctness was not one of them.

And BS ended some of them quickly but well - Gawyn making peace with Rand was abrupt but not wholly unbelievable. BS has to make severe judgement calls and I think overall he did very well.

So, as readers, please step back and consider what he had to work with given a certain amount of time and that the average reader cannot safely carry more than 35lbs at a time.

Weiramon
11-12-2010, 06:31 PM
You forgot to mention that heroic High Lord from Tear, who led the armies against Sammael in Illian, and against the Seanchan in Altara - cut short with unjust exile from the Stone.

Isabel
11-13-2010, 03:14 AM
This is not a BS bashing thread.

As a writer myself, it is staggering to think what Brandon faced finishing up this series.

RJ left so many threads dangling, and built up certain subplots to the point where, honestly, I don't think RJ could have finished them in "one more book." Or even three.

So BS was faced with truncating the less important subplots, which has led to some dissatisfaction among readers.

"But Carlinya was supposed to" and "WTF? Nicola's dead?" etc.

And yes, the resolutions to Masema and Asnunawa and Byar were very abrupt. But the flip side is each of those had been built up to be potential Plot Lines of Doom to rival the original Faile/Malden/Prophet travesty. RJ, creator love him, had many talents - succinctness was not one of them.

And BS ended some of them quickly but well - Gawyn making peace with Rand was abrupt but not wholly unbelievable. BS has to make severe judgement calls and I think overall he did very well.

So, as readers, please step back and consider what he had to work with given a certain amount of time and that the average reader cannot safely carry more than 35lbs at a time.

Honestly, what you are describing, is something what in essence to me is pure RJ.
RJ had a tendency to kill characters off in the same way it happened to Nicola and Carlinya.
Remembe Aram?

Landro
11-13-2010, 05:34 AM
The more I think of it, the more it impresses me that Brandon decided to finish WoT.

It surely has advantages because he's reaching a new audience but there are risks too. If Brandon had completely messed up, he would have a lot of people angry which would not have been good for his career.

I'm not a writer but if I were, I'm not sure I would have dared to fill RJ's shoes.

There will always be people who will complain that the books are not how RJ would have written them and they are right but what they want is, sadly, no longer possible.

Brandon, as a fellow WoT fan, is doing everybody a big favor by completing the series and I thank him for doing so.

The decision the split up aMoL was the right one I think. Looking at the unresolved plot lines we have, I sometimes wonder how he's going to resolve them in the last book.

Andrac
11-13-2010, 05:52 AM
The more I think of it, the more it impresses me that Brandon decided to finish WoT.

It surely has advantages because he's reaching a new audience but there are risks too. If Brandon had completely messed up, he would have a lot of people angry which would not have been good for his career.

I'm not a writer but if I were, I'm not sure I would have dared to fill RJ's shoes.

There will always be people who will complain that the books are not how RJ would have written them and they are right but what they want is, sadly, no longer possible.

Brandon, as a fellow WoT fan, is doing everybody a big favor by completing the series and I thank him for doing so.

The decision the split up aMoL was the right one I think. Looking at the unresolved plot lines we have, I sometimes wonder how he's going to resolve them in the last book.

My guess is that the last book is going to be some massive beefy book that will be the biggest one of the whole series. Towers was about 80 or so pages longer then GS so I imagine memory of light being around a 1000 pages. Possibly longer.

The funny thing is like five or six years ago RJ said he would finish the series in one book even if it had to be 2,000 pages, and when all is said and done the last three books will be well over 2,000 pages.

I imagine the sales for Sanderson's other work have jumped significantly within the last year. Anyone's sales would have just from people wanting to know who the author is, but considering he didn't epicly fuck up in the last two books, I imagine he sold a whole bunch of his other books.

I just wonder if the series will continue after book 14. Not like a book 15, but the other short stories RJ always wanted to write. Tam and his adventures outside of the two rivers is a book worthy of new spring size or bigger alone. Then theres the rest of the aiel war, or the history of the seanchan. Plus there can always be multiple age of legends books. Its also possible to do a book 15 sort of that takes place a couple of decades after the last battle. I hope that sanderson will stay on as the author if there are going to be more Wheel books.

jana
11-13-2010, 06:06 AM
I hope that sanderson will stay on as the author if there are going to be more Wheel books.

He has said several times that he does not think they should be written, but it's up to Harriet and if she wants them written he'll do it.

But it will never go beyond the 2 prequels and 3 outrigger novels that RJ had planned.

Andrac
11-13-2010, 06:16 AM
He has said several times that he does not think they should be written, but it's up to Harriet and if she wants them written he'll do it.

But it will never go beyond the 2 prequels and 3 outrigger novels that RJ had planned.

I doubt that. I think overall fans like the job BS has done with the series, there might be some complaints here and there, but he did say right off the bat he isn't RJ and no one can replace RJ. So with sanderson doing a good job, and each book being a NYT's bestseller, I think harriet and tor will want the other books to be written. Not just from a money standpoint, but the fact that the fans absolutly love this series. It is probably the biggest most in-depth fantasy series in the world, unless you count star wars which george lucas is always insisting is fantasy and not science fiction.

If/when the others get written then I think more will be written after that provided the planned ones are popular and sell well. There is just so much information to be told and so many areas of the world to find out about. Seanchan, sea folk, aiel, shara, anything beyond that on the other side of the world. And thats just areas of the world. There are countless characters who could at least have a short story written about them. Maybe do a book the size of the current series but make it full of short stories about the backstories of various characters. That would be pretty cool.

Terez
11-13-2010, 06:20 AM
No, Brandon has said flat out several times that he doesn't think it would be right to go beyond the prequels and outriggers. He doesn't even think it's right to write books for which RJ left no written scenes, but he especially has a problem with writing something RJ didn't even leave notes for. He strongly believes that it would be exploiting RJ's legacy, and Harriet does too.

jana
11-13-2010, 06:21 AM
I would personally loathe if any books that RJ hadn't planned were written. That's called fan fiction. I do not want that, ever, and I'm certain it won't happen, ever, because both Harriet and Brandon have said that it won't.

I'm not even sure I want the outriggers. Or any of it, actually. Perhaps the Moiraine prequel but Moiraine written almost entirely by Brandon scares me. No offense to him. But she's my favorite character by my favorite author... it's just normal to feel scared about someone else writing 90% of a book based solely on her and Lan.

Andrac
11-13-2010, 06:28 AM
No, Brandon has said flat out several times that he doesn't think it would be right to go beyond the prequels and outriggers. He doesn't even think it's right to write books for which RJ left no written scenes, but he especially has a problem with writing something RJ didn't even leave notes for. He strongly believes that it would be exploiting RJ's legacy, and Harriet does too.

Agree to disagree then. I don't think it would be exploiting his legacy to write books that the fans would want written, so long as they are done well and aren't pumped out like a series of cheap romance novels.

I honestly think RJ would be ok with it since I get the feeling he wanted to finish up the series so he could either write something else or take a break. He had been working on the series for 20 years or so since 1984, so you can't really blame him if he wanted to get it over with. I think it could be entirely possible that he would be ok with someone else writing some prequels/short stories/whatever to fill in all the gaps and answer questions that fans have been asking for years.

BTW, what are the outriggers supposed to be? I know I have seen years ago RJ say he wanted to write a couple of more prequels for the series, though I forget what they were supposed to be about if it was mentioned, but I don't remember hearing something called an outrigger.

jana
11-13-2010, 06:30 AM
I don't think it would be exploiting his legacy

I honestly think RJ would be ok with it

I think it could be entirely possible that he would be ok

BTW, what are the outriggers supposed to be?

I believe you're missing the important point here. It doesn't matter what you think. It matters what Harriet thinks. Period.

There was to be a 3 book series about Mat and Tuon taking back the Seanchan mainland, a prequel about Moiraine's first visit to the Eye of the World, and a prequel about Tam

Isabel
11-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Agree to disagree then. I don't think it would be exploiting his legacy to write books that the fans would want written, so long as they are done well and aren't pumped out like a series of cheap romance novels.

I honestly think RJ would be ok with it since I get the feeling he wanted to finish up the series so he could either write something else or take a break. He had been working on the series for 20 years or so since 1984, so you can't really blame him if he wanted to get it over with. I think it could be entirely possible that he would be ok with someone else writing some prequels/short stories/whatever to fill in all the gaps and answer questions that fans have been asking for years.

BTW, what are the outriggers supposed to be? I know I have seen years ago RJ say he wanted to write a couple of more prequels for the series, though I forget what they were supposed to be about if it was mentioned, but I don't remember hearing something called an outrigger.

I suggest you do read interviews about what RJ said about this subject.

HunterOTS
11-13-2010, 07:02 AM
I believe you're missing the important point here. It doesn't matter what you think. It matters what Harriet thinks. Period.

Is there any reason to believe Harriet wants the prequels and outrigger novels to be written? I'd like to see them because I don't want to give up the WOT universe but I don't think it's likely given the lack of notes.

jana
11-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Is there any reason to believe Harriet wants the prequels and outrigger novels to be written? I'd like to see them because I don't want to give up the WOT universe but I don't think it's likely given the lack of notes.

Every indication is that she's leaning towards no, but hasn't ruled it out. Tom Doherty wants the outriggers written because he loves Mat.

According to someone somewhere (probably Brandon :P) there are notes on the outriggers and prequels. I guess I could look at the interview database but that would require effort

HunterOTS
11-13-2010, 07:14 AM
I guess I could look at the interview database but that would require effort

I was looking in there somewhat recently and I don't recall him saying that but I'll look again tomorrow.

Terez
11-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Look in the Future Books (https://docs.google.com/View?docID=dcjspjqg_868c8np8mdk&revision=_latest) section. There's a link at the top to go straight to the prequels/outriggers stuff, though I don't think we're done with the RJ stuff (it's a new category, and I did Brandon/TJ first since their comments are most relevant to the current situation, though I included the most important RJ quotes about the content of the outriggers and prequels from his blog).

Edit: I just noticed that it looks like the RJ section on the prequels/outriggers is done. Marie did most of the work for the new categories when I wasn't looking. :D I have been keeping up with Brandon (or trying anyway).

HunterOTS
11-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Ah thank you Terez. When I originally was looking through there I didn't realize it was set up in categories and just went down to the BS stuff assuming that it was in order from newest to oldest.

HunterOTS
11-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Quote:

Andrea Millhouse on Twitter - 13 August 2010 7:21 pm
Compared to the A Memory of Light note content and detail how much was left for the remaining 2 prequels? Were they as detailed?
Brandon - 14 August 12:26 am
There are lots of notes for everything. But RJ did not leave any scenes written, which is a big difference.

So it appears you were right there are notes, which is good.