PDA

View Full Version : Was a bargain made on Mat's behalf?

Daemin
11-12-2010, 06:41 PM
When I was re-reading the Tower chapters today, I realized that the 'Fin must have made a bargain in relation to Mat in the past. Here is the relevant bit:

"This is the great hall," Mat said to the Eelfinn. "The place called the Chamber of Bonds. You must abide by the pacts you make here."

"The bargain has been arranged," one of the Eelfinn males said, smiling, showing pointed teeth.

The other Eelfinn leaned in, breathing deeply, as if smelling something. Or ... as if drawing something from Mat and the others. Birgitte had said that they fed off emotion.

"What bargain?" Mat snapped, glancing around at the pedestals. "Burn you, what bargain?"

"A price must be paid," one said.

"The demands must be met," said another.

"A sacrifice must be given." This from one of the females. She smiled more broadly than the others. Her teeth were pointed, too.

"These demands are expensive," one of the Eelfinn said. "What will you pay for these boons?"

"The price has been set," another whispered from behind.

The way this exchange goes, it seems pretty clear to me that someone, at some point in the past, made a bargain with the Foxes about dealing with Mat. Mat seems to suspect as much, but lets the matter drop. In particular, we have:

1. The bargain has been arranged
2. The price has been set

In response to the first, when Mat asks what bargain, they tell him that he must pay the price, they must meet the demand, and a sacrifice must be given. Not surprisingly, that is exactly what happens. They take his eye, they fulfill their half of the bargain (i.e. there is a straight path to the gateway, and the foxes do not molest them), and then a sacrifice has to be offered for Mat et. al. to get out. In Mat's previous journey into their realm, there was no sacrifice. There was only the payment (the hanging). So I don't think this is a reference to the agreement between humans and the 'Fin that governs use of the gateways. Also, during his previous visit, they called him a fool for not discussing the payment first, where as this time they say that the payment has already been set. But it wasn't set by Mat. So whence came that agreement, and why the need for a sacrifice?

Given this, it seems likely to me that at some point in the past, someone made a bargain with them that, when Mat came the second time, through the tower that is not governed by the agreement, they had to to agree to his demands, and take his eye as payment for Mat's bargain. The sacrifice, then, is the payment for this previous bargain.

Furthermore, I suspect the reason for the uncertainty in regards to who the third person would be, and their bearing on the success of the mission, has to do with this hypothetical bargain. In fact, Mat seems to (accidentally) suggest this:

"Burn you all, snakes and foxes! Dark One take the lot of you. You have my eye, you have Noal. That's enough of a price for you! That's too much of a price! Isn't the life of Jain bloody Far-strider enough to appease you, you monsters!"

I suggest that it was, indeed, enough to satisfy them. Perhaps a lesser life would not have fulfilled the previous bargain, thus rendering it null and void. I'm not sure if I want to claim that the bargain was so specific as to specify Jain, or if it was just that the sacrifice had to be someone important.

Thoughts?

scoobin
11-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Hmmmm good catch. I guess I was thinking that it is Moraine. She asked for a way out, or maybe something to with the last battle. The last battle would make sense with the eye being the price to make her the light of the world. But given the Finns seeming ability to move across time, they can speak of this price and bargain to Matt when he enters Finnland before Moraine is captured. Then they let him know that he must give up half the light ...to save the light of the world. (don't have the exact wording.)

But the sacrifice needed...I hadn't thought of that as separate from the price. I look forward to other's thought on that!

Andrac
11-13-2010, 02:54 AM
I would have to say it was probably moraine as well since when they get out she smiles secretively about what she wanted from them.

That or maybe it was mat in one of his past lives.

Edynol
11-13-2010, 10:03 AM
I have a qestion. Do you think after her stay in Finnland that Mo is still bound by the oaths? That might give her something to smile about. I mean, if it can undo her bond to Lan, I don't think it would out of the realm of possibility for other such bonds made with the OP, like with the Rod, to be severed as well. But just a thought. I don't really have anything to base it on.

Edit: BTW I ain't saying that is what she asked from them, just when she was severed from her bond with Lan she also could have been severed from the oaths. I don't think Moiraine waste an opportunity like to get rid of something as small as the oaths when there are easier ways to do it.

TankSpill
11-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Since she is not Severed, she is almost definitely still Bound by the Oaths. No reason she wouldn't be unless that had been a specific wish.

Davian93
11-13-2010, 07:06 PM
I have a qestion. Do you think after her stay in Finnland that Mo is still bound by the oaths? That might give her something to smile about. I mean, if it can undo her bond to Lan, I don't think it would out of the realm of possibility for other such bonds made with the OP, like with the Rod, to be severed as well. But just a thought. I don't really have anything to base it on.

Edit: BTW I ain't saying that is what she asked from them, just when she was severed from her bond with Lan she also could have been severed from the oaths. I don't think Moiraine waste an opportunity like to get rid of something as small as the oaths when there are easier ways to do it.

Her face is still Ageless so she's bound by her Oaths.

GonzoTheGreat
11-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Her face is still Ageless so she's bound by her Oaths.Could be botox.

jana
11-14-2010, 06:05 AM
Could be botox.

http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/Undressed_Oscars2004/Cher_350x435.jpg

Belazamon
11-14-2010, 09:03 PM
That's more of a Graendal outfit, I think.

morat'corlm
11-14-2010, 10:37 PM
But the hair is pure Suroth.