PDA

View Full Version : One more book? There still seems a lot left.

Charlz Guybon
11-13-2010, 09:33 PM
IIRC, initially when the split was made Sanderson said the last book would be the shortest of the three but I just can't see that happening. Now let me preface this by saying I really enjoyed TGS and TOM, but even at Brandon's breakneck pace I'm skeptical that this can be finished satisfactorily in one book, especially since the whole Black Tower/Pevara plot line, Demandred, and war with the Seanchan have been pushed back to the next book. Plus there's that new Lanfear plot line that popped up in the epilogue, and Graendal and Moghedien are still around. Then there's all the shadowspawn running around, and lets not forget Rand has to die (maybe live again) and seal the Dark One away.

Maybe Sanderson can do it, but the book will have to be as thick as A Way of Kings.

One more book my ass, it would have taken Jordan 5 if he'd lived

HunterOTS
11-13-2010, 09:38 PM
BS said AMoL should be around the same length as ToM, maybe a little longer but not shorter. He also said he doubts he will split the book again but anything is possible.

jana
11-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I think it will be the biggest of the three, but I'm not too concerned about things getting wrapped up.

We have most of the characters together now and not a lot of set up left. We don't have to read 5 chapters of Perrin learning the wolf dream, or 3 chapters of Elayne gaining the throne of Cairhien.

Just look at the whole fight in Tar Valon. That went by quickly. We have a lot of action stuff and that can all happen in a small number of chapters.

Charlz Guybon
11-13-2010, 09:44 PM
BS said AMoL should be around the same length as ToM, maybe a little longer but not shorter. He also said he doubts he will split the book again but anything is possible.

I assume this was a recent statement. Is it in on his blog or in Terez's interview database?

HunterOTS
11-13-2010, 09:48 PM
It's in the database, I read it there just the other day. Don't remember what section but I'll look.

jana
11-13-2010, 09:48 PM
I assume this was a recent statement. Is it in on his blog or in Terez's interview database?

It was on his twitter. But the way he worded it, there's a .000000000000000000001% chance it will be split.

HunterOTS
11-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Shivam Bhatt on Twitter 8 November 2010
Do you think you'll actually be able to wrap up the story in A Memory of Light? Seems like a lot of endgame threads still open.
Brandon
I have no plans to split the book again. I am 2/3 through the outline. Anything can happen, but it looks like one.

Q: How long is the last book going to be?
Brandon: Probably about the size of Towers of Midnight. Not shorter, maybe longer, but about that size.

Future books> A Memory of Light

HunterOTS
11-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Just look at the whole fight in Tar Valon. That went by quickly. We have a lot of action stuff and that can all happen in a small number of chapters.

I Definitely anticipate alot of stuff to happen kind of quickly. That seems to have been a trend in TGS and ToM. I also expect several of the minor story arcs to end in an abrupt manner.

Res_Ipsa
11-14-2010, 12:00 AM
I am one of those bastards who likes long series and I agree there seems like alot more to do. So I hope Sanderson takes his time with the extra few months (Early 2012 I believe) and prooves me wrong. But then again I would not mind AMoL split.

Tamyrlin
11-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Every chapter will be meaningful. There doesn't seem time for any filler kind of material.

Res_Ipsa
11-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Every chapter will be meaningful. There doesn't seem time for any filler kind of material.

Which is why Brandon Sanderson has his boots to fill with the WoT. Mistborn and Elantris as models of telling a story with an epic scope as succinctly as possible. With RJ the devil was in the details and thats why I love it. And I like BS writing of the WoT as well bc I believe he is treating it with as much love and care as it deserves.

Res_Ipsa
11-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Bit of a caveat but I am hoping either RJ wrote enough of the TGs battle scenes or Brandon does not try to imitate him. I firmly believe that Robert Jordans ability to convey such amazing scenes as Dumai's Wells was because of his own military experience which Brandon is lacking.

jana
11-14-2010, 12:33 AM
My only worry is whether there will be room for enough happy-time to satisfy me. I'm hoping the Epilogue is huge, and a lot of text is spent on Moiraine's reappearance.

I guess I'm kind of sappy, but the reunions have always been my favorite thing. (Though, they obviously wouldn't be as good if the stuff between wasn't awesome). But pretty much every one makes me practically giddy.

The first one in Caemlyn. The end of Eye of the World. Rand and Thom. Mat and Thom. Everyone at the end of TDR. Siuan and Leane reaching Salidar. Nynaeve, Elayne, Egwene, and Mat. Lan, Nynaeve, Rand+girls. At the beginning and the end of AMOL I want to have a lot of time with Perrin, Rand, Nynaeve, Moiraine, Min, and Mat. Maybe they could have one night of happy, before people start dying. I've been a bit negative about the ones in TOM, but I did enjoy Elayne, Birgitte, Mat, and Thom.

It was always something I was happy about with LOTR. It wasn't all that detailed, but you could imagine what they were doing since it took so long to get back to the Shire. After going through all that strife I want to spend time with the characters being happy.

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 12:39 AM
That's an important aspect of the story to me as well. I feel like it lends a sense of resolution and the lack of it is disquieting.

Andrac
11-14-2010, 02:50 AM
I just hope that someone finally figures out that you need women to channel on men and men to channel on women to make things the most effective. Logain was said to possibly be stronger then he was before his gentling and yet suine and leane are far far weaker. I find it hard to believe that these people are THAT dense and can't figure this stuff out.

I'm thinking the book is going to be about a 1000 pages or so. The entire ending scene is fully written by jordan though I believe. Waiting though is certainly going to suuuuck. :(

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 02:57 AM
I don't remember if Nyneave met up with the severed AS that Flinn healed but I would think she would put it together after that.

jana
11-14-2010, 03:14 AM
The entire ending scene is fully written by jordan though I believe. Waiting though is certainly going to suuuuck. :(

I'm assuming "scene" means Epilogue, but that would be a huge scene.

"We’re in a little better shape. Jim actually finished scenes. We have a lot more to work with. He wrote the end himself! He left landmarks to follow from here to the end. Not specific details, just “strong stuff” to get us to the end. There are no characters that we don’t know how they end up.”

GonzoTheGreat
11-14-2010, 05:14 AM
As RJ kept saying: "at least three more books". Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.