PDA

View Full Version : Perrin's Hammer, Rand and the Seals

Caveatar
11-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Rand says he is going to break the seals.
I know some have weakened but they are supposed to be Cuendillar and the OP just bypasses the stuff.
RJ said somewhere that there are other ways to break the seals. I can't find the quote.

I believe Perrin will be involved, with his "Mighty Hammer Mjolner" .(Thor in one of the Eddas called it that MANY times.)

Anyway, I know Perrin's hammer has a four foot handle and Loki messed up the forging of Thor's hammer so the handle was VERY short so they aren't the same thing BUT

I believe when Perrin said in the following conversation...Page 701 or 702 in Chapter A Teaching Chamber

"He says he's going to break the remaining seals of the Dark One's prison," Elayne said, frowning. "We'll need to stop him, of course. Foolish plan. You could help with that. Egwene's gathering a force to persuade him."

"I think I could be of help," Perrin said.

that Perrin meant he could help with the breaking of the seals, not the stopping of Rand from breaking them.

I welcome all comments, refutation, counterpoint or contrariwise?

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 08:33 PM
I was under the impression right now that they are all so weak that Rand could just physically smash them. When Taim gave him one he was considering just smashing it on the ground or something.

I think Perrin just meant that he would help Rand by being on his side.

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 09:06 PM
From LoC Ch. 2, A New Arrival

Abruptly he heard the words he was muttering hoarsely. "Must break it now break them all break it break it break it." Abruptly he realized he had his hands over his head, holding the seal, ready to smash it to the white pavement. (my italics)

Rand at least thought he'd be able to break it.

Gareth Tomlinson
11-14-2010, 09:39 PM
I think this is a great idea.

*Egwene, Rand and Perrin @ the Fields of Merrilor*

*Egwene- Don't break the seals Rand

*Rand- I have to

*Perrin swings down hammer, smashes seals...

World lurches

Caveatar
11-14-2010, 10:21 PM
I think this is a great idea.

*Egwene, Rand and Perrin @ the Fields of Merrilor*

*Egwene- Don't break the seals Rand

*Rand- I have to

*Perrin swings down hammer, smashes seals...

World lurches

Egwene:"You bloody flaming woolheaded sheepherders. Mothers Milk in a CUP!"
Mat: "Egwene, watch your language."

morat'corlm
11-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Exhausted after two swings of a 50-pound hammer, Perrin drops it and breaks Aviendha's toh.

HunterOTS
11-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Ha. Would that make him have toh to her?

Andrac
11-15-2010, 12:37 AM
You gotta love the people in this world though.

Only the Dragon Reborn can fight the Dark One and win the Last Battle. But he has to do everything I say exactly the way I say to do it and anything he might suggest as a better way of doing things is nothing but foolish ignorance on his part.

Cortar
11-15-2010, 02:02 AM
"He says he's going to break the remaining seals of the Dark One's prison," Elayne said, frowning. "We'll need to stop him, of course. Foolish plan. You could help with that. Egwene's gathering a force to persuade him."

"I think I could be of help," Perrin said.

that Perrin meant he could help with the breaking of the seals, not the stopping of Rand from breaking them.

I welcome all comments, refutation, counterpoint or contrariwise?

I definitely got the same reading from Perrin when I read this, I think that Elayne took it for granted that she assume Perrin meant he would support THEM! He just said he could be of help!

Silly people in this book assuming wayyyy too much all the time!

Frenzy
11-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Silly people in this book assuming wayyyy too much all the time!
That's what makes it so much fun!!

But i understand the establishment's slight reluctance in letting Rand break the Seals. It's those Seals that are keeping the Dark One in his prison, and he wants to break them? Heck, one of the Amyrlin's titles is 'Watcher of the seals.'

Rand's going to have to be smooth to sell it to them.

Cortar
11-15-2010, 02:43 AM
That's what makes it so much fun!!

But i understand the establishment's slight reluctance in letting Rand break the Seals. It's those Seals that are keeping the Dark One in his prison, and he wants to break them? Heck, one of the Amyrlin's titles is 'Watcher of the seals.'

Rand's going to have to be smooth to sell it to them.

Understandable, but are we for sure that Rand really wants to break the seals? Or did he just start this rumor so that Egwene would conveniently gather the largest army the world has seen for him?

We didn't get a Rand POV so we don't know what he is really thinking!

dominominic
11-15-2010, 03:34 AM
Understandable, but are we for sure that Rand really wants to break the seals? Or did he just start this rumor so that Egwene would conveniently gather the largest army the world has seen for him?

We didn't get a Rand POV so we don't know what he is really thinking!

Have you not finished the book?

Cortar
11-17-2010, 04:08 AM
Have you not finished the book?

Yes... was there a Rand POV that I somehow missed? I really don't remember seeing one...

I mean, I know he probably is not lying and he really does want to break the seals, but as of now we really do not know what is going on in his head

morat'corlm
11-17-2010, 04:22 AM
The epilogue is pertinent. Start on page 839 of the TOR hardcover.