PDA

View Full Version : Alliandre

kikokix
11-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Her only POV in the series bugged me. Now I'm thinking either she's a darkfriend or a disillusioned monarch who likes silk way too much. What was the whole point of giving her a POV anyway?

grunt
11-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Her only POV in the series bugged me. Now I'm thinking either she's a darkfriend or a disillusioned monarch who likes silk way too much. What was the whole point of giving her a POV anyway?

Perhaps to show the effects recent events and her captivity have had on her? Doesn't Faile refer to it at one point?

kikokix
11-15-2010, 10:02 AM
I suppose.

I just feel something's not right about her. The way she felt "in need to keep up" and how she was described as the least powerful of those pledged to Perrin sound like trouble to me.

Or am I just reading too much between the lines? The way she sneaked that silk cloth just felt like she was hiding something dark.

grunt
11-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I suppose.

I just feel something's not right about her. The way she felt "in need to keep up" and how she was described as the least powerful of those pledged to Perrin sound like trouble to me.

Or am I just reading too much between the lines? The way she sneaked that silk cloth just felt like she was hiding something dark.

You're not alone, I thought her POV odd, and troubling as well.

Frenzy
11-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Alliandre's whole existance in this series is scraping by with leftovers (4th monarch in a year) and dealing with whatever the pattern decides to throw at her (Whitecloaks, Seanchan, Ta'veren, Aiel). That silk scrap is lampshading her plight.

but i like your cynic skepticism. :)

Davian93
11-15-2010, 10:14 AM
I got a Darkfriend vibe actually. But it could just be a red herring.

DahLliA
11-15-2010, 10:23 AM

same. if she turns out to not be up to something sinister that POV feels very unnecessary

morat'corlm
11-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Her gossipiness seemed out of character. Unless she's a Darkfriend, that chapter could have been done better from a more familiar POV.

missbee
11-15-2010, 11:50 AM

I'm not convinced she's a DF, but I do think she'll do something stupid out of frustration or to grab power, with plot-turning consequences.

morat'corlm
11-15-2010, 12:09 PM
What power could she grab? At this point I'm honestly mystified by the regard Arganda has for her. She's the fourth monarch Ghealdan had in a year, and held on only by dint of learning how to grovel before Masema. Then she swore her lands to the Dragon Reborn, then to this warlord Perrin, and finally signed off on turning Ghealdan into a vassal state of Andor.

If the Crown High Council in Jehannah doesn't run her out (or, more likely, through) on a rail when she tries to present this as a fait accompli, she'll be astoundingly lucky.

missbee
11-15-2010, 12:24 PM
...If the Crown High Council in Jehannah doesn't run her out (or, more likely, through) on a rail when she tries to present this as a fait accompli, she'll be astoundingly lucky.

I don't think she will make it, I think she's toast. All it would take is for some DF or even FO to make her an offer or 'suggest' some way to improve her position and she'll go with it. She wouldn't even need to join up

alleluia_cone
11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
What power could she grab? At this point I'm honestly mystified by the regard Arganda has for her. She's the fourth monarch Ghealdan had in a year, and held on only by dint of learning how to grovel before Masema. Then she swore her lands to the Dragon Reborn, then to this warlord Perrin, and finally signed off on turning Ghealdan into a vassal state of Andor.

If the Crown High Council in Jehannah doesn't run her out (or, more likely, through) on a rail when she tries to present this as a fait accompli, she'll be astoundingly lucky.

I think you are looking at this issue without regard to substance. While Ghealdan might have technically made itself subservient to a foreign power it is actually much more powerful than it was before. Perrin has essentially guaranteed its protection and through him, the Dragon Reborn's protection as well (perhaps even that of Saldea). This type of arrangement actually insures that no other power, including Andor, can mess with Ghealdan's internal affairs or risk facing the wrath of Perrin and Rand. And what has Ghealdan lost in the process? It's not like Perrin or Rand will exact taxes or expect riches; Ghealdan will have to contribute to the Last Battle but it was always going to have to do that.

morat'corlm
11-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Say rather that I don't expect the Ghealdanin nobles to consider the substance, or care much if they do. Alliandre saw Ghealdan through a crisis, but once the crisis is over every capitulation or failure she made will have them up in arms – especially the ones they weren't consulted on and for which they can say they bear none of the blame.

Actually, that Arganda supports her isn't that surprising; he's evidently not a lord. But I would be very surprised if many others do, and I suspect Perrin will have to be fairly heavy-handed at first to keep the "Pact of the Griffin" alive after Tarmon Gaidon.

alleluia_cone
11-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Actually, that Arganda supports her isn't that surprising; he's evidently not a lord. But I would be very surprised if many others do, and I suspect Perrin will have to be fairly heavy-handed at first to keep the "Pact of the Griffin" alive after Tarmon Gaidon.

That's true, but honestly, is there any nation where a good portion of the nobles won't be dissatisfied with what has happened since Rand hit the scene? Under those circumstances I'd rather have the loyalty of Perrin and Faile over anybody else.