PDA

View Full Version : Black Tower Gateways

Nafro
11-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Is the general consensus that there is a dreamspike at the Black Tower, thus making gateways fall apart?

Davian93
11-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Is the general consensus that there is a dreamspike at the Black Tower, thus making gateways fall apart?

Yeah pretty much. Moridin said he had 2 of them...makes sense that he gave the other to Taim...or placed it there.

HunterOTS
11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Nothing else in the series has shown the ability to block gateways in such manner and Moridin did have two dreamspikes. I don't see what else it could be.

GonzoTheGreat
11-16-2010, 03:52 PM
If Dream a Dreamspike while you are in TAR, would that then block gateways in the ordinary world, and if not, why not?

HunterOTS
11-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Are you talking about dreaming about a non-existant dreamspike?

Nafro
11-16-2010, 03:57 PM
If Dream a Dreamspike while you are in TAR, would that then block gateways in the ordinary world, and if not, why not?

I'm pretty sure that a dreamspike has to be brought into TAR "in the flesh" in order to be effective. Hence why Perrin couldn't "will" it to dissapear.

Sukoto
11-16-2010, 03:57 PM
What's silly about all this is that no one has figured out that a dreamspike is just a glorified confusion generator. You can EASILY get out from under it. Just Travel to the edge, then walk across the border, then Travel to where you want to go. The trick is to figure it out without warning the enemy that you're on to their trick so they don't keep moving the thing.

Or just get Perrin to go get the thing in TAR and destroy it. Easy.

morat'corlm
11-16-2010, 03:58 PM
If Dream a Dreamspike while you are in TAR, would that then block gateways in the ordinary world, and if not, why not?Probably. But if the most powerful dreamers in the world cannot directly destroy a dreamspike, why should they be able to create one?

Terez
11-16-2010, 04:11 PM
What's silly about all this is that no one has figured out that a dreamspike is just a glorified confusion generator. You can EASILY get out from under it. Just Travel to the edge, then walk across the border, then Travel to where you want to go. The trick is to figure it out without warning the enemy that you're on to their trick so they don't keep moving the thing.
Perrin noted that it doesn't work the same for gateways - he got Grady and Neald to try that. Didn't work.

Or just get Perrin to go get the thing in TAR and destroy it. Easy.
He was planning on it, as he Traveled to Merrilor. He thought he would do it that night (the night Rand had the Cyndane dream), or the next night at the latest.

Nafro
11-16-2010, 04:12 PM
He was planning on it, as he Traveled to Merrilor. He thought he would do it that night (the night Rand had the Cyndane dream), or the next night at the latest.
Huh? I must have missed this. I remember him talking to Grady about not being able to go to the Black Tower, but I don't remember him thinking it was due to a spike.

Terez
11-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Huh? I must have missed this. I remember him talking to Grady about not being able to go to the Black Tower, but I don't remember him thinking it was due to a spike.
TITLE - Towers of Midnight
CHAPTER: 47 - A Teaching Chamber

Grady came last. The man wore a neatly pressed black coat, his Dedicated pin polished and gleaming on the high collar. He immediately looked westward, toward the Black Tower. He'd tried to make a gateway there earlier in the day, when Perrin had given him permission. It hadn't worked. Perrin was disturbed by that. He intended to investigate soon, tonight or tomorrow night at the latest.
He doesn't mention the idea of another dreamspike directly, but obviously he plans on investigating in the Wolf Dream, so I'm sure he made the connection.

Nafro
11-16-2010, 04:16 PM
He doesn't mention the idea of another dreamspike directly, but obviously he plans on investigating in the Wolf Dream, so I'm sure he made the connection.

Yep, I missed that. THanks

Terez
11-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Come to think about it, that might have been the day before he Traveled to Merrilor. It's not the same chapter, and I am not sure how much time had passed - there is no clear indication. It's hard to see it being more than a day before, and him not thinking about it in his last POV.