PDA

View Full Version : Blood and Prophecy

TheMindsEye
11-16-2010, 09:10 PM
From The Karaethon Cycle:

Like the unfettered dawn shall he blind us, and burn us, yet shall the Dragon Reborn confront the Shadow at the Last Battle, and his blood shall give us the Light.

From the Prophecy of the Shadow:

And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, and shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful.

Of key importance is:
“and his blood shall give us the Light.”
“and shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful.”

So we are faced with the question: What makes Rand's blood save the world in one prophecy, and the other destroy it?

I thought about it for a little while and came up with a few ideas.

We know Rand has received two serious wounds. One from Ishamael and one from Padain Fain.
It's my belief, and others I've seen, the true power was used in delivering that wound. We've been told there are consequences of the true power that we have yet to see.

Padan Fain delivered the other wound with a dagger tainted by the madness that consumed Shadar Logoth, so we know it holds power and power that was said to be counter to the Dark One.

So, perhaps the difference in how Rand's blood
saves or destroys the light is from which wound his blood pours. If it pours from the wound from Ishamael, the dark wins. If it pours from the wound from Padain Fain, the light wins.

I don't have access to all the books on hand and can't find the other quotes, but I recall Rand mentioning throughout the series how these wounds would be the death of him. I bring it up so you know it has been foreshadowed, they are important.
Maybe this is why? I don't know.

I'd love to hear from more knowledgeable fans who may have some good ideas about what may cause his blood to either save or destroy.

Rand al'Fain
11-16-2010, 09:15 PM
One problem with your theory, is that the wounds overlap eachother. So the blood would be contaminated with both. It may actually work if he puts some of it into the Bore or something, but at this point, I am not sure if the Dark One will either be estroyed or sealed away again at SG.

TheMindsEye
11-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I didn't really like my idea either =)

But what then ..why does his blood save in one prophecy and the other doom us?

Rand al'Fain
11-16-2010, 09:30 PM
I didn't really like my idea either =)

But what then ..why does his blood save in one prophecy and the other doom us?

As I said in another thread, I think it ll comes down to one of two possible scenarios. 1 is obviously that Rand suceeds in some way, while the other he tries something similar, but it fails. As to the details, no idea, but that is my view on it.

Belazamon
11-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Of key importance is:
“and his blood shall give us the Light.”
“and shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful.”

So we are faced with the question: What makes Rand's blood save the world in one prophecy, and the other destroy it?
Ah, but don't forget, "twice dawns the day when his blood is shed." The night is always darker before the dawn, and all that.

GonzoTheGreat
11-17-2010, 04:12 AM
The night is always darker before the dawn, and all that.Actually, that's not true. I'm not sure this nitpick is very relevant, though.

ZaderGru
11-17-2010, 04:23 AM
Ah, but don't forget, "twice dawns the day when his blood is shed."

Why do most believe this prophesy means two dawn's in one day. Could it not simply be two different days.
One Day Dawns for his mourning
Another Day dawns for his birth

finn
11-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Round 1: I think Rand dies, the Shadow wins and then at a critical moment, Rand's killer is erased by a ton of Balefire. Commence Round 2.

Belazamon
11-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Actually, that's not true. I'm not sure this nitpick is very relevant, though.
Sure it is - just not right before the dawn. It'd be hard for the night to be darker after the dawn, wouldn't you agree? :D

Why do most believe this prophesy means two dawn's in one day. Could it not simply be two different days.
Well, probably because it says "twice dawns the day," not "twice dawn the days." ;)

Caveatar
11-17-2010, 06:28 PM

Perhaps when the seals are broken and the DO is freed then His Darkness covers the Sun. The Sun itself appears black. Pure Night covers the world.
Then later when the Bore is sealed or the Pattern is rewoven or whatever, the Darkness is removed from the sun and 'day dawns' the second time that (calendar) day.

Spasmodean
11-17-2010, 06:46 PM

It seems to me to be referenceing to the way the sky was supposed to have darkened after Jesus died on the cross, specifically after the Roman guy stuck his spear in him making him bleed.

Eclipse, sadness/anger of the Creator, victory for the Dark One - all these are possible outcomes according to which prophecy you look at.

NaeffOfDreams
11-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Don't forget the multiple interpretations of blood. It could be literal actual blood, it could be any blood relation, it could be a whole mess of Aiel and Andorans on the rocks of Shayol Ghul saving the day for that matter, since they're his blood too.

Part of the Car'a'carn prophecy taken from TDR:
"Blood of our blood mixed with the old blood, raised by an ancient blood not ours."

Caveatar
11-17-2010, 07:50 PM
It seems to me to be referenceing to the way the sky was supposed to have darkened after Jesus died on the cross, specifically after the Roman guy stuck his spear in him making him bleed.

Eclipse, sadness/anger of the Creator, victory for the Dark One - all these are possible outcomes according to which prophecy you look at.

And the Holy Grail to catch the blood.

And Callandor, the Grail to hold the soul of the Dragon Reborn when Moridin uses Semirhage's trick of removing all the blood from a man's body and spilling it on the rocks of Shayol Ghul.
Alivia and/or Nynaeve channel Rand's soul INTO Callandor. The body turns cold but still alive without a soul.
"All that he is can be seized" but before DarkOne seizes it the girls will send it into Callandor. or maybe Rand himself will.
Kind of like the Coursouvra box where Cyndane's soul is.
Loony Theory #(some big number)