PDA

View Full Version : Will the Aiel Clan Chiefs Beat the Car'a'carn?

Caveatar
11-16-2010, 10:21 PM
PG 194 US Hardback--Rand returns to the Stone of Tear.

He seemed afire with life. The thrill of it was intoxicating. He left an arm around her the arm that ended in a stump as he turned to regard the Aiel. "I have toh" Though the courtyard behind them was in chaos, the Aiel stood quietly.
They were ready for this, Min thought. The Aiel weren't hostile, exactly, but they didn't share the excitement of the Defenders. The Tairens thought Rand had returned to lead them to the Last Battle.
"In the Waste," Rhuarc said, stepping forward, "there is an animal. The meegerling. It looks much like a rat, but it is far more stupid. If you place it near grain, it will go straight toward it, regardless of the danger. No matter how many times it falls in a trench between itself and the food, it will repeat the same action if you move it back to the start. Aiel children amuse themselves with the game." He studied Rand. "I had not thought you would be a meegerling, Rand al'Thor."
"I promise I will never leave you again," Rand said. "Not of my own choice, and not without informing and if they consent bringing Maidens as a guard."
The Aiel did not budge. "This will prevent you from earning more toh" Rhuarc said. "It will not change what has gone before. And promises have been made before."
"This is true," Rand said, meeting Rhuarc's eyes. "I will meet my toh, then."
Something passed between them, something Min didn't understand, and the Aiel parted, looking more relaxed. Twenty Maidens came forward to act as a guard around Rand. Rhuarc retreated with the others, joining a small group of Wise Ones who watched from the periphery.
"Rand?" Min said.
"It will be all right," he said, though there was a grim cast to his emotions. "This was one of the things I needed to fix. One of many."

It appears as though Rand is going to get a beating like the Maidens gave him.
Any ideas anyone?

Servus Christi
11-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I think Rhuarc and the other men realise that Rand wont meet his toh with a simple beating. I think he'll meet it by recognising the Aiel as people and not just a spear of his to thrust at the Shadow.

He'll meet his toh by freeing the Aiel of the Three-Fold Land. Not just physically but spiritually.

The Maidens? I think they'll recognise him as a man grown now and not a child. I hope :p.

GonzoTheGreat
11-17-2010, 04:19 AM
The Maidens? I think they'll recognise him as a man grown now and not a child. I hope :p.Most do that already. But they know that even grown ups can act foolishly at times.

lowlandr
11-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Most do that already. But they know that even grown ups can act foolishly at times.

and I thought men never grew up :D

finn
11-17-2010, 08:50 AM
It appears as though Rand is going to get a beating like the Maidens gave him.
Any ideas anyone?

Rand could do what Egwene and other Aiel often do, ask the wise ones to help him meet his toh. Unless he has more creative ideas about where his honor stands and what's needed but he'll have to offer them choices like Aviendha did on the possibility they deem it insufficient to meet his toh.

SixPips
11-17-2010, 09:19 AM
and I thought men never grew up :D

Haven't I been reading about you for nearly twenty years Nynaeve?

and I think that as much as Rand has put the Aiel through, they could beat him from today till TLB was over and he'd still have Toh. He didn't just step on toes, he hit their honor with balefire. It ceased to exist before he ignored it.:cool:

Terez
11-17-2010, 09:24 AM
I assumed that Rand met his toh to them in the future Aviendha saw by excluding the Aiel from the Peace so that they could get revenge on the Seanchan. The assumption is that he will have to do something different, but I'm not sure what it will be.

SixPips
11-18-2010, 07:10 AM
I assumed that Rand met his toh to them in the future Aviendha saw by excluding the Aiel from the Peace so that they could get revenge on the Seanchan. The assumption is that he will have to do something different, but I'm not sure what it will be.

I think if that were true, they would not mention in TOM that Rand did not seem to know what to do with the Aiel, that he was not of their people. I think he left them out of the peace of the Dragon because he knew they didn't follow the Dragon: They followed the Car'a'Carn, and as we have had beaten into our skulls time and time again "The Car'a'Carn is no wetlander Chief Rand Al' Thor."