PDA

View Full Version : Younglings

dpt24
11-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Was anyone a little shocked when Chapter five came along and the second paragraph with Gawyn had Sleete with him? I would have thought Sleete, well, more the younglings, would have been angry with Gawyn, as his thoughts in TGS showed he expected them to be likely to kill him. And then the one's who didn't become Warders were talking to him and asking him for advice and treat him like he's still their commander! I guess that's the whole "they're soldiers and they follow orders" thing, since Gawyn came back as part of the unified Tower, and generally seems to have the favor of the Aes Sedai, they don't hold any hard feelings. Sleete covered for Gawyn when he left in TGS, so it shouldn't be surprising they're still friends, but I really had expected that his leaving would have put some sort of tension in their friendship, and it seems Sleete's Aes Sedai still want's to bond him. It's not a big thing, but it kinda shocked me early in the book.

dpt24
11-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Also, it seems like the Younglings story line is wrapped up. many joined the Tar Valon guard, and the rest became warders. Can't really see them being that important in AMOL.

Ishara
11-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Sleete has always struck me as the kind of guy who's wise enough to know what to get worked up over, and what to let go - his story about his and Hattori's relationship is a perfect example. He recognized that Gawyn had something he needed to do, and respected him enough tgo let him do it. When they met up again, I'm not at all surprised to see them pick up where they left off, especially since Sleete ended up being right about how the WT would mend itself. Egwene treated his AS with respect and amnesty - why wouldn't he be supportive of Gawyn's desire to be with her?

And yes, I suspect the Younglings are wrapped up.

Enigma
11-18-2010, 04:58 PM
A Warders first loyalty seems to be to his Aes Sedai not the ruling faction in the Tower. Just because Sleete's Aes Sedai stayed with Elaida's faction does not necessarily mean that he felt any bad will towards the rebels, he may even have though that they were right.

tiredofbuttons
11-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Was anyone a little shocked when Chapter five came along and the second paragraph with Gawyn had Sleete with him? I would have thought Sleete, well, more the younglings, would have been angry with Gawyn, as his thoughts in TGS showed he expected them to be likely to kill him. And then the one's who didn't become Warders were talking to him and asking him for advice and treat him like he's still their commander! I guess that's the whole "they're soldiers and they follow orders" thing, since Gawyn came back as part of the unified Tower, and generally seems to have the favor of the Aes Sedai, they don't hold any hard feelings. Sleete covered for Gawyn when he left in TGS, so it shouldn't be surprising they're still friends, but I really had expected that his leaving would have put some sort of tension in their friendship, and it seems Sleete's Aes Sedai still want's to bond him. It's not a big thing, but it kinda shocked me early in the book.

I never got the impression Sleete would be negative towards Gawyn in any way. He gave him good advice. Noone in the younglings died as a result of Gawyn's actions so...

dpt24
11-18-2010, 06:45 PM
I guess I shouldn't have been shocked about Sleete, but when I first read chapter 5, I did a double take.