PDA

View Full Version : I'm not Impressed, Elayne

Nafro
11-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Her big claim to fame is making ter'angreal. Oh wait she can't make them, she can only copy them. Oh wait, she can't copy them, she can make half-assed copies of them. Are we really supposed to be impressed by this? Does anyone think that before the series is over she will create a new ter'angreal from scratch? Maybe a special bath tub that self-hears the water?

Terez
11-18-2010, 01:23 PM
1. No one else can even make copies.

2. Some of her copies are exact; some of them don't quite work right. For example, she had no trouble copying the Dreaming ter'angreal that required channeling; only the stone ring gave her difficulties.

3. In the cases where she has been failing, she probably needs a man to link with.

4. She has already created at least one ter'angreal from scratch:

TITLE - Lord of Chaos
PROLOGUE - The First Message

"I haven’t done as well as I might with the ter’angreal, Anaiya Sedai." That, at least, was hers and hers alone. The first had been the bracelet and necklace – a fact kept well hidden, needless to say – but they were an altered copy of a nasty invention, the a’dam, that the Seanchan left behind when their invasion was driven into the sea at Falme. The plain green disc that allowed someone not strong enough to work the invisibility trick – not many were – had been her idea from the first. She had no angreal or sa’angreal to study, so they had been impossible to make so far, and even after her ease in copying the Seanchan device, ter’angreal had not proven as easy as she had thought. They used the One Power instead of magnifying it, used it for one specific purpose, to do one thing. Some could even be used by people who could not channel, even men. They should have been simpler. Maybe they were, in function, but not simple to make.

Davian93
11-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Her big claim to fame is making ter'angreal. Oh wait she can't make them, she can only copy them. Oh wait, she can't copy them, she can make half-assed copies of them. Are we really supposed to be impressed by this? Does anyone think that before the series is over she will create a new ter'angreal from scratch? Maybe a special bath tub that self-hears the water?

Well, it could be that it requires a male/female circle to properly make them. That would explain the weak copies she's currently making. Hopefully she'll get around to linking with a male and then trying to make one at some point. To her credit, she's doing better than any other AS at making them.

Nafro
11-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Needing to link with a man is probably a good explanation. Would linking and creating something vitally important for the LB be too Deus Ex?

Davian93
11-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Needing to link with a man is probably a good explanation. Would linking and creating something vitally important for the LB be too Deus Ex?

Depends on what is created. We've had plenty of linking at this point (like Perrin's hammer) so it wouldn't be totally ridiculous.

finn
11-18-2010, 02:00 PM
1. No one else can even make copies.
Some among the seanchan can copy the a'dam and the domination band iirc. Goes to reason that they can also work with other ter'angreal.

Terez
11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Some among the seanchan can copy the a'dam and the domination band iirc. Goes to reason that they can also work with other ter'angreal.
Brandon said they can only make the one. Even the Bloodknives are relics - they don't know how to copy them.

Enheduanna
11-18-2010, 02:08 PM

I just hope that she brought the Ebou Dar items with her, they could be lost otherwise. There was a dreaming by Egwene or one of the Wise Ones that something that was found with the Bowl of the Winds would be important for the last battle (not that Elayne knows that), probably the music box, which must contain "The Song". along with the Talisman of Growing, together to be used perhaps to seal the bore or for after the Last Battle so that everyone doesn't starve. If she didn't bring them, they could be lost in tne trolloc invasion.

The Mardy Asha'man
11-18-2010, 06:12 PM
If it were me I would be trying to make paralis-nets, even half baked ones could be of vital use in the last battle and give an edge over the forces of evil.

I do agree a bit with nafro though she has been making ter'angreal for a while with no real improvement (I dont think its her fault like a few have suggested she probably needs to link with a man) rather I think that this should have been part of her story arc rather than the horrible part in Altara with Luca or the Succession (or these could have been streamlined alot).

Her ability was one I was interested in, I wanted to see her make something cool and totally fuctional (angreal, wells thats sort of thing) but sadly that hasn't happened. With only one book left and so much yet to get through anything done on it now is going to either feel rushed or totally Deus ex Machina.

Helloes
11-19-2010, 04:47 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but the only bad copies she makes are of ter'angreal that requires no channelling?

Not really going anywhere with this but it seems an interesting fact if true.

Enheduanna
11-19-2010, 09:54 AM
If it were me I would be trying to make paralis-nets, even half baked ones could be of vital use in the last battle and give an edge over the forces of evil.

I do agree a bit with nafro though she has been making ter'angreal for a while with no real improvement (I dont think its her fault like a few have suggested she probably needs to link with a man) rather I think that this should have been part of her story arc rather than the horrible part in Altara with Luca or the Succession (or these could have been streamlined alot).

Her ability was one I was interested in, I wanted to see her make something cool and totally fuctional (angreal, wells thats sort of thing) but sadly that hasn't happened. With only one book left and so much yet to get through anything done on it now is going to either feel rushed or totally Deus ex Machina.

She's been trying to copy Mat's medallion, isn't that a Paralis Net? She won't have any trouble with that once she learns to link with Rand. She's been thinking about it a lot, I'm sure she's close to figuring it out.

wyk
11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
I was hoping that she would make a weapon out of the same material as the medallion. Then mat or whoever could take on the dreadlords and BA with ease. Just a thought.

The Immortal One
11-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Even the Bloodknives are relics - they don't know how to copy them.

Really? That's odd. Once you send out your Bloodknives they're kamikaze troops - you basically forfeit the rings.

Then again it is stated that Bloodknives are only used very rarely for great purposes.

Landro
11-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Really? That's odd. Once you send out your Bloodknives they're kamikaze troops - you basically forfeit the rings.

You send in sabotage troops and after they've weakened the defense you move in the army and recover the rings. They probably didn't use Bloodknives very often but they eventually conquered all of Seanchan so it could have been that way.

Nicci
11-19-2010, 12:00 PM
disclaimer: please do not take the following opinions personal. :)

I'd have to agree that I'm underwhelmed by Elaynes progress in this regard.

Also, I find it a bit odd the effort that apparently went into making Perrins Mah'alleinir. It basically seems to be a Hammer +2 (Fire) or something. WOW! I hope it turns out to have further uses. The description we have for now doesn't really make it prophecy-worthy.

Now, if we could only get to see Elayne linking up with the Asha'man (I forget his name - Neal?) who might have a Talent for ter'angreal as well. That'd be cool.

I support Terez' idea that copying Mats medallion require both male and female input. Although it was mentioned several times that Elayne was having problems channeling consistantly, because of her pregnancy (hooray!, more reason for Elayne to be a total snooze-fest). That might have something to do with it as well.

Egwene has become a self-righteous child, pretending to be an expert in T'a'r. God, she's pissing me off - I kind of wish Perrin had spanked her bottom, teaching her a lesson. Elayne made a small-time ter'angreal from scratch. Whoop-dee-doo! Maybe stop thinking so much about your shitty little succession, and start focusing on doing something that would actually help the fight? Nynaeve discovered how to heal severing, and even the saidin madness! She seems the only supergirl to actually be contributing to the cause. Even Rand sees it, as he wants her to come with him, never even mentioning his girlfriend - trust issues much?).

It's clear which of our girls the author(s) likes more...

If I were Nynaeve, I'd be all like "bitches pleeease, I ain't gonna be no stinkin' Aes Sedai. I'm here to put a cap in some Shadow ass, so make me some god damn weapons you good-for-nothing skanks!" :)

tiredofbuttons
11-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Also, I find it a bit odd the effort that apparently went into making Perrins Mah'alleinir. It basically seems to be a Hammer +2 (Fire) or something. WOW! I hope it turns out to have further uses. The description we have for now doesn't really make it prophecy-worthy.

You will be far more impressed when he uses the hammer to smash the seals ;-)

I don't know if he will, but he should!

Nicci
11-19-2010, 06:39 PM
I thought the seals were already fragile and could be destroyed almost by hand by now... ?

morat'corlm
11-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I thought the seals were already fragile and could be destroyed almost by hand by now... ?They could be, but where's the fun in that?

And by fun, I mean enormous warhammer.

metaphor
11-19-2010, 08:30 PM
To be honest though, channelers in the AoL had extensive scientific and philosophic knowledge tat Elayne lacks. She doesn't know how and why the medallion and the dream ter'angreal work.
She knows how the trick of invisibility works, and she was able to make ter'angreal that did it correctly.

But she doesn't know the principle behind accessing dreams and nullifying weaves, so she can only proceed by trial and error and luck.

Enheduanna
11-20-2010, 10:44 AM
To be honest though, channelers in the AoL had extensive scientific and philosophic knowledge tat Elayne lacks. She doesn't know how and why the medallion and the dream ter'angreal work.
She knows how the trick of invisibility works, and she was able to make ter'angreal that did it correctly.

But she doesn't know the principle behind accessing dreams and nullifying weaves, so she can only proceed by trial and error and luck.

If she wasn't luckier than she deserves to be, she'd be dead about 10 times over, from messing with Ter'Angreal she knows nothing about to taking on the BA single handedly, so I guess she thinks that luck and a half-remembered viewing is all she needs.

arioch
11-20-2010, 10:56 AM
If she wasn't luckier than she deserves to be, she'd be dead about 10 times over, from messing with Ter'Angreal she knows nothing about to taking on the BA single handedly, so I guess she thinks that luck and a half-remembered viewing is all she needs.

"Lucky" yes, but the rest of that is ridiculously hyperbolic. She's never went up against the BA "singlehandedly", even the ToM event she was expecting Kin channellers guarding the prison cell, and since she can pretty well intuit basic capacities of ter'angreal it's hard to see how she could have injured herself with those either.

Enheduanna
11-20-2010, 11:00 PM
"Lucky" yes, but the rest of that is ridiculously hyperbolic. She's never went up against the BA "singlehandedly", even the ToM event she was expecting Kin channellers guarding the prison cell, and since she can pretty well intuit basic capacities of ter'angreal it's hard to see how she could have injured herself with those either.

The fact is she entered the cell alone and got smacked down. Also, Aviendha was able to "intuit basic capacities", not Elayne. She was doing the same thing that got Setalle burned out, with far less experience.