PDA

View Full Version : Ebooks or Reducing confusion while reading TOM

Caveatar
11-18-2010, 06:51 PM
This is not the confusion reducing part. Merely Preparation
Drive about 150 miles roundtrip through the Nevada desert to reach a bookstore.
Buy 30 dollar book, reduced to 16 dollars.
Take it home and try to read it with failing vision and inability to hold a big
book or focus eyes longer than 20 minutes at a time.
Wish REALLY HARD for an ebook so the text can be enlarged onscreen.
Fail to get that wish.

Take apart the once-read new book separating the individual sheets.
Hook up old scanner. Download new drivers to make it work.
SCAN 800+ pages for 3 days! and keep them in order.
Assemble all individual page files in order for 2 more days making one file.
Load into text editing program and remove all scanning artifacts,
of which there are about 10 thousand, for about half a day.
Compare the assembled files to the original pages and correct errors and duplications.
Run a spellcheck and correct THOSE errors comparing to original pages.
Reformat entire book to remove unwanted blank spaces and broken words.
Feel some sympathy for TOR's editors-in-a-rush and understand why there were typos in the book.

After about 8 days of getting it in shape:
Load book into editor and read onscreen after enlarging text to readable-for-me size.
Get cup of coffee and read until my heart is content!

Nynaeve!, You GO Girl! I hate each and every one of them too! Sadistic fools.

Go Mat! Whup that gholam, catch that badger. Practice that penmanship.

Grow a Pair Perrin! Die Gawyn you pitiful excuse for an a$$-licking dog.

Be shock-collared for life, Fortuona the Empress, May-her-screams-shake-the-Towers-of-Midnight

The above was not the confusion reducing part.
The following is.
Make a backup copy knowing that there will be screwups to follow.

Go through book and separate into separate arcs.
Cut and paste arcs into separate files.

Aviendha
Bad Guys: Fain, Graendal, Moridin
Black Tower
Borderlanders not including Lan or Far Madding group
Lan
Mat including Olver and Talmanes at end
Elayne
The White Tower, Egwene and others (duplicating Perrin meeting both arcs)
Perrin including Galad, (duplicating the WhiteTower in T'A'R common scenes
and duplicating Mat common scenes in other arcs.

Leaving the remainder of the original for, ta dah,
Rand's main arc
Leave Nynaeve partly in WhiteTower arc and partly in Rand arc
Tuon

THEN
duplicate Aviendha's arc and organise her future viewings in a
forward stepping direction instead of the backstepping viewings.
About six generations of devolution/decline of the Aiel.

Read and verify the forward stepping descendant views.
NOW the confusion is reduced some. Quite a bit for me.
Then go get the dust speck out of my eyes.
Must have been damn paper particles from taking apart the book.
I felt like Old Yeller died again.
Or that I was down Where the Red Fern Grows.

Read Mat's arc all the way through and get to feeling a lot better.

Read White Tower arc and consider editing Gawyn's name to be "dipshit'
then consider my respect for RJ /BS and decide not to do that or change
any of their words excluding typos.

Consider copyright violations then swear on the Oath Rod
to NEVER NEVER find out how to upload to the net.

Consider the overlooked idea of just getting some HiLiter pens
and marking the arcs in the book. It would have been easier if messier.

Consider hiring out to Brandon Sanderson to do proofreading for free.
I am getting pretty darned good at it on a monitor screen at least.

Then reread all the arcs one at a time and feeling a LOT of confusion
depart. Begin to wish I liked to drink beer. A Fun Book for me

Put loose-leaf remains of original book in bathroom for reading while
on the throne, the one place I am never confused about what I am doing.:D

GonzoTheGreat
11-19-2010, 03:48 AM
Could something like this (http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=leesliniaal&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=zkTmTM_fKYiBOvODnb0K&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CCYQsAQwAQ) be useful to you?

Jonai
11-19-2010, 03:58 AM
You make my head hurt. And to think, the font for Wot is way bigger than it used to be in the early 90s.

jana
11-19-2010, 04:35 AM
I think this person deserve some type of award.

Caveatar
11-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Could something like this (http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=leesliniaal&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=zkTmTM_fKYiBOvODnb0K&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CCYQsAQwAQ) be useful to you?

Yes. Such things are useful on a map or on a flat sheet or something like a newspaper. They are not so handy on a book though.

E-Rock
11-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Dear Caveatar
You could have saved yourself the 3 days of scanning the book by simply downloading it as a pdf (I believe it turned up as a torrent fairly swiftly after the release of the book). If you already own the physical book they basically amount to the same thing anyways except one is significantly less work than the other.

And the time saved can be better spent on writing a strongly worded letter to the estate of Robert Jordan about the delayed release of the e-book... ;)

maacaroni
11-19-2010, 11:03 AM
*cough* audiobook *cough*

tiredofbuttons
11-19-2010, 12:30 PM
*cough* audiobook *cough*

That would not help the confusion at all. Searchable is sooo much better for figuring out what's going on and trying to figure out what will happen.

Caveatar
11-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Dear Caveatar
You could have saved yourself the 3 days of scanning the book by simply downloading it as a pdf (I believe it turned up as a torrent fairly swiftly after the release of the book). If you already own the physical book they basically amount to the same thing anyways except one is significantly less work than the other.

And the time saved can be better spent on writing a strongly worded letter to the estate of Robert Jordan about the delayed release of the e-book... ;)

Damn. Oh well, it isn't the first time I spent a lot of effort instead of taking the easy way.
If I had found a torrent of the text I would probably have done that--And justified doing it by having paid for the book already.
I did see some audiobook torrents but listening to the audiobook would probably have taken about as long.
(I am also very hard-of-hearing so audiobooks are not easy either.)

I think I understand their decision to delay the ebook release. To increase sales and profits. As Robert A. Heinlein once answered a question about why he wrote. He said words to the effect that "I needed to pay off a mortgage." I understand that writers do their writing to make money and publishers publish books to make money.

I might write the publisher and ask for a Handicapped Sticker allowing me privileged access to their files but I doubt if that would work. :D

Caveatar
11-19-2010, 12:43 PM
That would not help the confusion at all. Searchable is sooo much better for figuring out what's going on and trying to figure out what will happen.

I seriously doubt that I will EVER buy another dead-wood book.
The convenience of ebooks is just too much easier. I also prefer a microwave oven to a campfire for cooking too. :D
(Unless of course one is in the deep woods and has no other choice.)

tiredofbuttons
11-19-2010, 01:18 PM
I seriously doubt that I will EVER buy another dead-wood book.
The convenience of ebooks is just too much easier. I also prefer a microwave oven to a campfire for cooking too. :D
(Unless of course one is in the deep woods and has no other choice.)

I have an old ebook, but I tend to just read them on my evo now. I really like to read in bed with the lights off, so a backlight is necessary for me. Sigh.

REB1100 from like 1998 is dying, so my choices are limited.

E-Rock
11-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I think I understand their decision to delay the ebook release. To increase sales and profits. As Robert A. Heinlein once answered a question about why he wrote. He said words to the effect that "I needed to pay off a mortgage." I understand that writers do their writing to make money and publishers publish books to make money.

I might write the publisher and ask for a Handicapped Sticker allowing me privileged access to their files but I doubt if that would work. :D

Nothing prevented them from releasing the e-book at the same price as the hardcover.

tiredofbuttons
11-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Nothing prevented them from releasing the e-book at the same price as the hardcover.

Honestly they lost money that way. I would have bought it instantly and 2 others I know waited to get the torrent. I told them that was pretty sucky, but I still understood it.

I want the ebook and I'm willing to pay for it. The torrent is still out there, but now the only way to get it is by stealing it. Don't think that people won't. Those people will probably not even feel bad about it.