PDA

View Full Version : Testing ter'angreal and Compulsion

Terez
11-19-2010, 01:35 AM
We all know that there are various types of Compulsion. Moghedien uses a complex weave of Spirit with touches of Water and Air. Verin's mishmash Compulsion is also predominantly Spirit 'by far', with bits of all four of the other Powers. In both cases, instructions are required, though Verin's version is more along the lines of Liandrin's 'trick' (and of course, that was probably one of the weaves that Verin used to make her version).

For the Aes Sedai testing ter'angreal, a weave is placed on the woman before she enters. It is entirely Spirit, and Nynaeve thinks that it has something to do with memory, just by looking at the weave. Verin says of her own weaves, 'Even if a Wise One poked her head into the tent, with the smallest of luck she would not possess the rare Talent needed to realize what Verin was doing.'

As with the Compulsion weaves, instructions are required. Someone gives instructions, while another person touches the candidate with the weave and punctuates the instructions with 'Remember what must be remembered.' When the instructions are finished, the weave settles into the candidate like Healing.

In the Aes Sedai testing ter'angreal, the Aes Sedai actually control what is happening inside the ter'angreal.

Nynaeve, of course, was able to break the rules in the test for the shawl. Egwene had a theory:

"You've angered them," Egwene said. "And confused them."

"I spoke the truth," Nynaeve grumbled.

"Perhaps," Egwene said. "But I wasn't speaking of your outburst. During the test, you flouted the orders you were given."

"I couldn't flout them. I didn't remember that I'd been given them. I . . . well, actually I could remember what I was supposed to do, but not the reasons." Nynaeve grimaced. "That's why I broke the rules. I thought they were just arbitrary. I couldn't remember why I wasn't supposed to run, so in the face of seeing people die, it seemed silly to walk."

"The rules are supposed to hold strongly, even though you don't remember them," Egwene said. "And you should not have been able to channel before reaching the marker. That is in the very nature of the test."

Nynaeve frowned. "Then how—"

"You've spent too much time in Tel'aran'rhiod. This test ... it seems to function much in the same way as the World of Dreams. What we create in our minds became your surroundings." Egwene clicked her tongue, shaking her head. "I warned them that this might be a danger. Your practice in the World of Dreams made you innately able to break the test."
I'm not so sure this theory is true, but Egwene can be forgiven for not knowing that she herself broke the rules of the Accepted testing ter'angreal when she went through it. She didn't tell anyone that she had channeled, so she didn't know that it was out of the ordinary. Everything that was noticeably out of the ordinary was explained by the resonance between the stone ring and the testing ter'angreal. Or perhaps it was affected by Egwene's innate Dreaming ability.

Nynaeve knew that she broke the rules in the testing ter'angreal, though. Well before she ever entered the World of Dreams.

The Accepted testing ter'angreal does not require a Compulsion weave like the Aes Sedai test, but also notable is that the Aes Sedai do not control what happens inside it, nor can they witness it. The experience is entirely between the ter'angreal and the candidate's mind.

But yet, the words 'The way back will come but once. Be steadfast.' are still emblazoned into the candidate's mind, just like with the Compulsion weave of the Aes Sedai test. During Moiraine's test - presumably a standard example - she continually (and thoughtlessly) reminds herself that she must be utterly calm, serene, and that she must keep a steady pace. She even concentrates on keeping her face expressionless and smooth. She knows that she dare not channel until she reaches the star, and never considers otherwise.

When Nynaeve goes through the Accepted ter'angreal, she not only remembers how to channel - which should be impossible - but she is able to ignore the urge to go through the arch that last time, with Lan, until the arch disappears. When she realizes that Lan isn't real - something she is not supposed to be able to realize - she creates her own damn arch:

TITLE - The Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 23 - The Testing

"I want to stay," she said softly. "I want to stay with you." When she opened her eyes, the arch was gone ... come but once. "No. No!"

Lan turned her to face him. "What troubles you? You must tell me if I'm to help."

"This is not real."

"Not real? Before I met you, I thought nothing except the sword was real. Look around you, Nynaeve. It is real. Whatever you want to be real, we can make real together, you and I."

Wonderingly, she did look around. The meadow was still there. The Seven Towers still stood over the Thousand Lakes. The arch was gone, but nothing else had changed. I could stay here. With Lan. Nothing has changed. Her thoughts turned. Nothing has changed. Egwene is alone in the White Tower. Rand will channel the Power and go mad. And what of Mat and Perrin? Can they take back any shred of their lives? And Moiraine, who tore all our lives apart, still walks free.

"I must go back," she whispered. Unable to bear the pain on his face, she pulled free of him. Deliberately she formed a flower bud in her mind, a white bud on a blackthorn branch. She made the thorns sharp and cruel, wishing they could pierce her flesh, feeling as if she already hung in the blackthorn's branches. Sheriam Sedai's voice danced just out of hearing, telling her it was dangerous to attempt to channel the Power. The bud opened, and saidar filled her with light.

"Nynaeve, tell me what is the matter."

Lan's voice slid across her concentration; she refused to let herself hear it. There had to be a way back still. Staring at where the silver arch had been, she tried to find some trace of it. There was nothing.

"Nynaeve ..."

She tried to picture the arch in her mind, to shape it and form it to the last detail, curve of gleaming metal filled with a glow like snowy fire. It seemed to waver there, in front of her, first there between her and the trees, then not, then there ...

"... I love you ..."

She drew at saidar, drinking in the flow of the One Power till she thought she would burst. The radiance filling her, shining around her, hurt her own eyes. The heat seemed to consume her. The flickering arch firmed, steadied, stood whole before her. Fire and pain seemed to fill her; her bones felt as if they were burning; her skull seemed a roaring furnace.

"... with all my heart."

She ran toward the silver curve, not letting herself look back. She had been sure the bitterest thing she would ever hear was Marin al'Vere's cry for help as Nynaeve abandoned her, but that was honey beside the sound of Lan's anguished voice pursuing her. "Nynaeve, please don't leave me."

The white glow consumed her.
It seems to me that Egwene might have had it backwards. Nynaeve gained skill in Tel'aran'rhiod quickly because she has strength of will - the exact same strength of will that served her when she resisted Moghedien's Compulsion, and actually managed to remember the incident that Moghedien had Compelled her to forget.

And while both of the testing ter'angreal are obviously related to the World of Dreams in many ways, I think that both of them also incorporate Compulsion, in two unique forms. The Aes Sedai ter'angreal requires a weave of Compulsion, just as it requires the sisters to control what happens inside of it. The Accepted ter'angreal comes with the Compulsion aspect built in, and it may be that the use of the other ter'angreal was inspired by the natural effects of the Accepted one. In some cases, the Aes Sedai do not know if the uses to which they put various ter'angreal are the original ones.

And underneath all of this is an irony...that a forbidden weave is a fundamental part of the two major tests all Aes Sedai must undergo.

HunterOTS
11-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Was Nyneave actually channeling in the Accepted ter'angreal or was she shaping the world inside of it like in TAR? If she is channeling what happened to her block? Was she mad enough to channel because she thought about Moraine?

fionwe1987
11-19-2010, 02:13 AM
I don't think it is compulsion. In TAR, you can make someone stupid. What's to say you can't make someone unable to break certain rules? Nynaeve broke that because she had practice breaking other such holds in TAR, and also has a very strong will.

Landro
11-19-2010, 02:45 AM
It's an interesting thought but both Egwene and Nynaeve learned Compulsion from Moggy. Shouldn't they recognize the version used in the test for the shawl for what it is?

The Warder bond includes compulsion too and the AS know it.

GonzoTheGreat
11-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Was Nyneave actually channeling in the Accepted ter'angreal or was she shaping the world inside of it like in TAR? If she is channeling what happened to her block? Was she mad enough to channel because she thought about Moraine?Based on how angry she was at the time, I would say that "lack of being mad enough" was not a problem for her.

HunterOTS
11-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Based on how angry she was at the time, I would say that "lack of being mad enough" was not a problem for her.

I saw her has being a big ball of emotions with the whole Lan scene and being tempted to stay but knowing its not real and what not. Didn't think anger had shone through enough for her to channel.

Jonai
11-19-2010, 05:25 AM
Nyn's never angry, she's just highly motivated.

HunterOTS
11-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Nyn's never angry, she's just highly motivated.

Just like my barely controlled rage is often taken for a go get'em attitude.

jana
11-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Was she mad enough to channel because she thought about Moraine?

I miss those days...

one of Moiraine's best b*tch moments
“Did you think I did not know, child? Well, as you wish it. I take it that you are coming to Tar Valon? Yes, I thought so.”

Nynaeve wanted to hit her

sleepinghour
11-19-2010, 07:38 AM
And while both of the testing ter'angreal are obviously related to the World of Dreams in many ways, I think that both of them also incorporate Compulsion, in two unique forms.

I had a similar thought when I read this part:

Nynaeve felt the weaving of Spirit settle into her. It was rather like Healing.
-- ToM, A Choice

It reminded me of Rand's comment in TGS that Compulsion is similar to Healing.

When Myrelle Compelled Lan in LoC through the bond, she also used only Spirit. And then there's a Blue Ajah weave we see in NS that uses Spirit to plant an idea into someone else's head.

Masuri
11-19-2010, 07:57 AM
It sounds very reasonable. Plus Nynaeve recognized that it had something to do with memory and Graendal was worried that Nynaeve knew how to read a compulsion.

WinespringBrother
11-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Compulsion is just a tool, and like any tool, it can be used for good or evil.

Terez
11-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Was Nyneave actually channeling in the Accepted ter'angreal or was she shaping the world inside of it like in TAR? If she is channeling what happened to her block? Was she mad enough to channel because she thought about Moraine?
It doesn't really matter - she's not supposed to be able to remember that she can channel at all.

HunterOTS
11-19-2010, 02:54 PM
It doesn't really matter - she's not supposed to be able to remember that she can channel at all.

Oh I understand why that's remarkable. I wasn't asking as a means to debunk your idea I just thought you might know.

Terez
11-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Well, you might as well ask whether or not they're really channeling in Tel'aran'rhiod. You can only channel Spirit in your sleep, but you can channel all Five Powers there.

HunterOTS
11-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Well, you might as well ask whether or not they're really channeling in Tel'aran'rhiod. You can only channel Spirit in your sleep, but you can channel all Five Powers there.

But to Perrin, they're just weaves. I don't know if they're really chanelling or if their belief in it causes it to appear as if they are.

Crispin's Crispian
11-19-2010, 04:02 PM
I'd say it's irrelevant, but it does lend itself to some interesting ideas about shielding. When Egwene shielded whatshername in the Stone (Falion...Ispan....can't remember), she was shielded when she awoke. Actually, she didn't really wake up, did she? It was like her soul was stuck between the Dream World and the Real World.

padfoot89
11-19-2010, 04:10 PM
I guess a good way to test whether channeling is real in the Dream World is by taking a stilled/ burned out person there.

skaywalker
11-20-2010, 01:45 AM
Siuan was there while stilled and she couldn't channel.

Ieyasu
11-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Siuan was there while stilled and she couldn't channel.

As Rand said... We all set our own limits.

GonzoTheGreat
11-20-2010, 05:39 AM
Why is it necessary to have this debate at all?
When Egwene went to Salidar, she channeled in the real world to open a gateway to TAR. Then she called up Bela to transport her to the Salidar region. When she arrived, she channeled once again to open a gateway back to the real world.
If she hadn't been actually channeling in TAR, then how could her imaginary weaves affect reality and let her get out?

PS I do think that elements of Compulsion could be part of those AS testing devices. It wouldn't surprise me too much if they had been planted there by Ishamael around the time of the founding of the WT, just to mess with the AS. Maybe the AS should let Rand have a look at their toys, so that he can tell them what he remembers of any he can recognise.

HunterOTS
11-20-2010, 05:42 AM
I only brought it up because I wanted to understand it better. Figured you guys would remember relevant enough info to convince me. That Eg was able to open a gateway out of TAR is pretty convincing. Everything brought up before still left me with the possibility that they were just controlling TAR with their minds, even if when they were stilled they couldn't channel in TAR, because I would just assume that they couldn't channel in there because they believed they couldn't. But what you said does show that they Eg was able to touch reality.

padfoot89
11-20-2010, 05:50 AM
But wasn't that because Egwene was in TAR in the flesh ?

morat'corlm
11-20-2010, 06:32 AM
If she hadn't been actually channeling in TAR, then how could her imaginary weaves affect reality and let her get out?How is Tel'aran'rhiod any less real than the physical world? What is being proposed is the notion that what is imagined is objectively real there, at least as far as the imaginer can maintain it. Moreover, the now-established data point that all gateways involve touching Tel'aran'rhiod is suggestive; why couldn't manipulating TAR enable one to produce a gateway? Particularly since the metaphysics of opening a door to a "reflection" of the world you're currently in is so different, at first glance, from opening one to another place in the world.

Or just turn the question around: if they are actually channeling in TAR, then how can Perrin block a real beam of balefire with his mind?

GonzoTheGreat
11-20-2010, 07:14 AM
But wasn't that because Egwene was in TAR in the flesh ?Yes, but there's no indication that when you channel there in the flesh, it is fundamentally different from the result you get if you channel in the Dream.

Though I do wonder what would happen if Egwene opened a gateway to the real world while she was Dreaming, and then stepped through it. I hope she tries. Purely to satisfy my curiosity of course. Any side effects such as Egwene vanishing in a puff of logic would be interesting, but not necessary.

dominominic
11-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Why is it necessary to have this debate at all?
When Egwene went to Salidar, she channeled in the real world to open a gateway to TAR. Then she called up Bela to transport her to the Salidar region. When she arrived, she channeled once again to open a gateway back to the real world.
If she hadn't been actually channeling in TAR, then how could her imaginary weaves affect reality and let her get out?

PS I do think that elements of Compulsion could be part of those AS testing devices. It wouldn't surprise me too much if they had been planted there by Ishamael around the time of the founding of the WT, just to mess with the AS. Maybe the AS should let Rand have a look at their toys, so that he can tell them what he remembers of any he can recognise.

Another sensible thought that will never occur ro anyone in the books!

He'll probably be dead before anyone even thinks of it.

Jonai
11-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Cloaked in White Tower tradition, I don't think anyone will even question it. Willful ignorance is a Tower tradition, in and of itself.

GonzoTheGreat
11-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Cloaked in White Tower tradition, I don't think anyone will even question it. Willful ignorance is a Tower tradition, in and of itself.I dunno about that. It could be Tower Law, sealed to the Flame.

dominominic
11-20-2010, 07:53 AM
It wouldnt surprise me if Rand does die, and then some Aes Sedai says "We should have had him look at all those unidentified items of the One Power. Oh well, back to recklessly testing and possibly misusing them."

Jonai
11-20-2010, 07:58 AM
You really think they would let a mere man even look at sacred artifacts of the White Tower? *sniffs*

dominominic
11-20-2010, 08:19 AM
You really think they would let a mere man even look at sacred artifacts of the White Tower? *sniffs*

Hehe, no. But I do think the witches will strongly consider it once it's no longer possible! It is a twisted web they weave...

Jonai
11-20-2010, 08:21 AM
If they were smart, they'd at least let Avi do inventory.

Belazamon
11-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Well, Slayer manages to leave TAR just fine without channeling, so it ain't like it's impossible. If Egwene believes that it's her channeling that lets her leave...

GonzoTheGreat
11-21-2010, 05:17 AM
But it is not just leaving, it is making a gateway so that you can leave. That's an extra step, and as far as I know, it is not an extra step which Slayer makes, or even could make. If he could have done that, then he would not have needed to kill those BA in the Stone, he could have taken them elsewhere for more extensive punishment instead.

morat'corlm
11-21-2010, 05:31 AM
But it is proof that an interface between TAR and the real world can be constructed without the One Power, which is half the game. The other half is pushing subjective One Power in TAR through the reflection into objective One Power in the real world to make a specific kind of interface. Yes, that's a leap, but there are all these indications that it might be possible.

Of course, the gateway still might vanish in a puff of logic and saw you in half once your head makes it clear.

GonzoTheGreat
11-21-2010, 06:04 AM
Of course, the gateway still might vanish in a puff of logic and saw you in half once your head makes it clear.Which, in Egwene's case, would not have been a particularly great loss.

I like your theory. I hope she tests it.

Squocka
11-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Exactly if you believe that you can make weaves then you should be able to

Squocka
11-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Oh and i forgat to add

I like the compulsion idea it kind of makes sense, but why did she forget because she is strong willed and resisted it, i guess a vestige still remained which is right.

Terez
11-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Wat? Did you answer your own question? Hard to tell.

Squocka
11-21-2010, 09:16 PM
I forgot to include the quote from the 1st page sorry

the exactly post was for the channeling in TAR i was agreeing with the another poster that if a stilled channeler believes they can channel in TAR then they could.

The other bit was for you i liked the compulsion idea for the tests

subwoofer
11-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Well then, few things here to respond to.

First off- if we are talking about the tradition of Aes Sedai doing what seems the dimmest, then either Gawyn has to be involved or Egwene turns the ter'angreal over to Alivarin for testing or offers the stuff to Taim- whom some sister happened to notice shows a Talent for such things (making that last bit up of course)- as an olive branch to unite the two towers without Rand's help.

Nynaeve channeling is a whole other ball o kittens. First off, let us remember that Ny is um... contrary, to say the least. Moiraine was used as an example of the prototypical test. Let us not forget how structured Moiraine's life was as a noble and that Moiraine has been taught at a very early age to respect and obey authority. Honestly here, most of the girls who come to the Tower are in awe of Aes Sedai and the ageless face and are barely off their apron strings. Most of the ladies that come to the Tower later in life- the "wilders" have certain prejudices and it may take longer for them to step back into line with the other sheep.

Nynaeve came to the Tower with a chip on her shoulder. That chip was Moiraine, an Aes Sedai. IIRC Ny wanted to become an AS to show up Moiraine and to further protect the boys and to take Lan's bond from Moiraine. There is a lot of history there. Nynaeve also did not spend much time in Tower structure, she was sent on several tasks to Ebou Dar and other places, and then the schism came along- bottom line, Ny learned how to channel outside of the classroom. And all the while masquerading as an Aes Sedai. When Egwene made her and Aes Sedai without the test that really set it off because Nynaeve basically became a Sister outside of all Tower protocol, class and structure, and Nyneave spent a fair chunk of time proving to other's she deserved the title and that identity fixed itself in her head. And now we are surprised that Ny did stuff that wasn't supposed to be done in the test because she has not had it beaten into her on a daily basis?
Don't let them ruin you, Nynaeve. They'll try." "Ruin me?"
"Your passion is part of you," Rand said. "I tried to be like them, though I wouldn't have admitted it. Cold. Always in control. It nearly destroyed me. That is strength to some, but it is not the only type of strength. Perhaps you could learn to control yourself a little more, but I like you as you are. It makes you genuine. I would not see you become another 'perfect' Aes Sedai with a painted mask of a face and no care for the feelings and emotions of others."
"To be Aes Sedai is to be calm," Nynaeve replied.
"To be Aes Sedai is to be what you decide it is," Rand said, his stump still held behind his back. "Moiraine cared. You could see it in her, even when she was calm. The best Aes Sedai I've known are the ones who others complain aren't what an Aes Sedai should be."

I think a large problem with Aes Sedai is it is all about rank and file from Novice to Accepted, then once you get the shawl, you are given a lot of leeway. Maybe it should be reversed. Let the Novices and Accepted grow and flourish -within some kind of structured environment like cadets- but once you pass the test, go through basic, it's army time.

subwoofer
11-21-2010, 09:32 PM
As for the weaves in T'AR- well, Egwene uses them because that is the way she understands how to do stuff beyond sitting down and changing her clothes. Want a ball o fire- weave it. Egwene is just starting to wrap her head around the whole mind controls environment thing. Seeing Bair do her camo wall thing and then having Perrin school her- heh- really made Egwene do a quick rethink of what is possible. Egwene actually did something- her running in mid air thing when startled- that if she really thought about it, could have given her a better grasp of T'AR. Egwene was so scared she basically ran up a wall because that is what she wanted to do.

Perrin does stuff, like his version of Traveling, transforming into a wolf, drawing weapons outta thin air, melting balefire etc. because that is the way he was trained. Hopper- ::sniff, let's pause for a moment here folks:: told Perrin repeatedly that things in the Wolf Dream just are. How did Perrin find the pack that just disappeared? How did Perrin wade through nightmares of other people? You either buy into what is around you or you control it. Perrin got the control aspect down, years of experience is what separates him from Slayer now, and even then Perrin whooped Luc's butt.

Terez
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
I think a large problem with Aes Sedai is it is all about rank and file from Novice to Accepted, then once you get the shawl, you are given a lot of leeway. Maybe it should be reversed. Let the Novices and Accepted grow and flourish -within some kind of structured environment like cadets- but once you pass the test, go through basic, it's army time.
Well, one of the running themes with the Aes Sedai is that they are too secretive. The calm, serene approach inside the test is at its root a matter of secrecy - like Gawyn said, Egwene feels. She just doesn't let it show on her face. In this way the Tower can present more or less one unified face to the world.

The oath against lying only served to make them more creative at hiding the truth, which is why the Aes Sedai invented the Game of Houses. The Cairhienin imitate the Aes Sedai as best they can, and oddly, of all the other nations Tear is said to be the worst.

subwoofer
11-21-2010, 09:53 PM
The calm, serene approach inside the test is at its root a matter of secrecy
The oath against lying only served to make them more creative at hiding the truth.

You had me until you started quoting Gawyn. Le sigh.

Anyways valid point in the sense of putting up a unified front. The motivation behind it is another matter. Is the "serene facade" done to show discipline over one's emotions or to manipulate a situation? And it is hard to earn the respect of people when you are cussin' them out and thumping them with sticks to get your way.

Nynaeve rocks because she is the queen of not schooling herself- is Ny honked off? Just look at her- scowl and a braid tug- yuppers, she is mad... or she stubbed her toe. Ny wears her emotions on her sleeve. That is why Rand trusts her and that is why most readers trust her, Ny's painfully honest with everyone, even herself when she is confronted with things.

I am thinking that with Egwene and Nynaeve and even... Elayne, nose in the air and all... there is a new breed of Aes Sedai coming up, hopefully some will survive Tarmon Gai'don.

Caveatar
11-22-2010, 12:52 AM
For the Aes Sedai testing ter'angreal, a weave is placed on the woman before she enters. It is entirely Spirit, and Nynaeve thinks that it has something to do with memory, just by looking at the weave. Verin says of her own weaves, 'Even if a Wise One poked her head into the tent, with the smallest of luck she would not possess the rare Talent needed to realize what Verin was doing.'

As with the Compulsion weaves, instructions are required. Someone gives instructions, while another person touches the candidate with the weave and punctuates the instructions with 'Remember what must be remembered.' When the instructions are finished, the weave settles into the candidate like Healing.

And while both of the testing ter'angreal are obviously related to the World of Dreams in many ways, I think that both of them also incorporate Compulsion, in two unique forms. The Aes Sedai ter'angreal requires a weave of Compulsion, just as it requires the sisters to control what happens inside of it.

And underneath all of this is an irony...that a forbidden weave is a fundamental part of the two major tests all Aes Sedai must undergo.
I think you are right about the compulsion. Possibly a conditional shield as well.
In Nynaeve's shawl test it is mentioned three times that she 'got angry', and one time that she was 'furious'. Our Wisdom gets angry and things happen!
----------
She moved toward Perrin, but froze as she saw—across the Green in the other direction—a sixpointed star painted on a hillside.
"Nynaeve!" Perrin sounded desperate. He began striking at something that reached over the wall, tentacles of midnight black. Perrin chopped at them with an axe as one snatched up Aerie and pulled him—screaming— into the darkness.
Nynaeve began to walk toward the star. Calm. Measured.
That was stupid. An Aes Sedai had to be calm. She knew that. But an Aes Sedai also needed to be able to act, to do what was needed to help those who needed it. It didn't matter what it cost her personally. These people needed her.
So she started to run.
Even that didn't feel like enough. She ran to get to the star, but still she left people she loved to fight alone. She knew she couldn't channel until she reached the sixpointed star. That made absolutely no sense. Shadowspawn were attacking. She had to channel!
She embraced the Source, and something seemed to try to stop her. Something like a shield. She pushed it aside with difficulty and Power flooded her. She began flinging fire at the monster, burning off a tentacle as it grabbed for Perrin.
Nynaeve continued throwing fire until she reached the sixpointed star.

She broke through the compulsion or limitation or whatever and channeled before she reached the sixpointed star.

There, she wove the eightyfirst weave, which created three rings of Fire in the air.
She worked furiously, attacking at the same time. She didn't know the point of creating this weave, but she knew she had to finish it. So she increased the strength of the weave, making the burning rings extremely large. Then she began hurling them at the creatures. Massive halos of flame crashed into the dark things, killing them.

And the sixpointed star MOVED from the hillside

There was a sixpointed star on the roof of Master al'Vere's inn. Had it been burned there? Nynaeve ignored it, venting her anger at the things with tentacles.

And then she went into the Inn and apparently on to the roof and out of the scene.

I think Nynaeve used to have to be angry to channel. Now she can channel without anger BUT when she gets angry she breaks the compulsion.
Or she broke "something like a shield" as she described it. Is the candidate also shielded as well as under compulsion not to weave?