PDA

View Full Version : Nynaeve's braid

maacaroni
11-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Her braid and more specifically, her braid-pulling has been an overarching theme across 13 books now. It was her 'tell' to know that she was angry or frustrated etc. She used to tug it to get angry enough to embrace source in her wilder days.

During testing, as you know, it was singed off and now she is now braidless.

I believe that this is as much a symbolic act as the three oaths and passing the test for Aes Sedai. It casts off her old life in the two rivers as a wisdom more than any other act.

She is Aes Sedai now.

Thoughts?

The Immortal One
11-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Perhaps by the time her hair grows back enough to tug on she will have lost the habit (assuming she isn't killed in the Last Battle in the next few days.

And yes I agree that it seems very symbolic. Though I think it is more to do with her gaining better control of herself, her emotions, and her reactions than leaving the Two Rivers behind.

Even if Lan reclaims Malkier and she is crowned his queen the Two Rivers will always have a place in her heart. And she hasn't seen the Two Rivers as her home for quite some time.

Jonai
11-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Well she still has the stub of one. It just only goes down to her shoulders now. She should use hair weaves or extensions until it grows back. The braid is practically a character in its own right.

Rand al'Fain
11-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Her braid and more specifically, her braid-pulling has been an overarching theme across 13 books now. It was her 'tell' to know that she was angry or frustrated etc. She used to tug it to get angry enough to embrace source in her wilder days.

During testing, as you know, it was singed off and now she is now braidless.

I believe that this is as much a symbolic act as the three oaths and passing the test for Aes Sedai. It casts off her old life in the two rivers as a wisdom more than any other act.

She is Aes Sedai now.

Thoughts?
I don't see it as her leaving the Two Rivers behind. That just seems out of character for her. I do view it as her coming to understand more of the world. But she will never become an Aes Sedai the way that many of them are portrayed as. For that, I am glad.

maacaroni
11-19-2010, 07:24 PM
I think Rand's comment about keeping her passion and not letting them change her was quite apt. I also think it put some holes in the ZenRand persona. He hasn't changed THAT much, he still is suspicious of Aes Sedai ways, at least a little.

But I still think she has left the two rivers behind, don't get me wrong, I'm sure a part of her will always be the wisdom, but she'll never go back and the loss of the braid was very symbolic of that fact.

At least in my humble opinion.

Rand al'Fain
11-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I think Rand's comment about keeping her passion and not letting them change her was quite apt. I also think it put some holes in the ZenRand persona. He hasn't changed THAT much, he still is suspicious of Aes Sedai ways, at least a little.Considering most other Aes Sedai would rather leash him and try to control him somehow (even Egwene is saying that he needs Aes Sedai "guidance"), I can't really blame him. Nynaeve has only tried to look out for him (not always in the most pleasant of ways), but never tried to force him into anything except going back to the Two Rivers.
But I still think she has left the two rivers behind, don't get me wrong, I'm sure a part of her will always be the wisdom, but she'll never go back and the loss of the braid was very symbolic of that fact.

At least in my humble opinion.I just don't see it. To everyone except Egwene (that came from the TR), the Two Rivers is home and whee their family and friends live. I agree it won't be central to her anymore more, but it will still be a part of her no matter what.

Linnemir
11-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Am I the only one who wanted to see her come out of the test and throw the whole "You are now AS" baloney back in their faces?? "That's nice, but you can keep your damn oaths and your serenity. I've got more important things to do?" I truly felt that they were trying to make her fail.

Don't have the book in front of me, but did the braid catch fire during Eggy's section?

Of all the Three Rivers folk, I think Nyaeve was the one who's personality and outlook stayed closest to what she was when they started out. Perhaps because she was the oldest and had the best sense of self at the beginning? She remained true. Eggy just jumped on the AS fad wagon and is getting off on the power trip 'way too much for my taste. All that she gained in GS was erased with the way she treated Rand and Ny in ToM.

Mat is Better
11-19-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm convinced that they were trying to make her fail also. In other words they were trying to kill her and they almost succeeded. I figure the shadow had to be involved.

HunterOTS
11-19-2010, 09:59 PM
You can fail without dying. If they judge you not to have retained proper decorum. You know serenity and all of that.

Mat is Better
11-19-2010, 10:03 PM
You can fail without dying. If they judge you not to have retained proper decorum. You know serenity and all of that.

I understand that. I was speaking of failing by not returning to the real world specifically. Seems like she required some substantial healing and likely one not as strong as she would have died.

HunterOTS
11-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Well yea I don't know why I nitpicked because someone there appeared to be trying to cause her harm.

morat'corlm
11-19-2010, 10:50 PM
And Egwene would be among the most harsh. To show that she had been right in raising Nynaeve.
– Nynaeve’s thoughts on being tortured for Egwene’s PR benefit, “A Choice”, TOM

FelixPax
11-19-2010, 11:52 PM

She is Aes Sedai now.

Thoughts?

Nynaeve was right, she had no real need to take the Testing in TofM... as the Amyrlin Seat decreed she was an Aes Sedai back in Salidar. Nynaeve already was an Aes Sedai.

Cast off her old life?

Nynaeve remains a healer, without a doubt. Call her a Wisdom, an Aes Sedai, a Queen--by what ever title a group of individuals name her, she is a "healer". That's a Constant, from the very beginning.

Nynaeve a'Meara role as a healer, and her anger at seeing pain, hurt, injury will be a constant, regardless of her present 'braid length'.

Who's body did the Green Man's Oak Tree shape itself around? Nynaeve al'Meara. (tEotW, Ch. 50 'Meetings at the Eye')
Yes, Nynaeve al'Meara anger and her abilities are one key to healing creation itself--the Earth, the Land.

Enheduanna
11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Well she still has the stub of one. It just only goes down to her shoulders now. She should use hair weaves or extensions until it grows back. The braid is practically a character in its own right.

It'll be missed as much as Noal, maybe this was what Min saw when she saw Nynaeve mourning?:D

Nei
11-20-2010, 06:18 PM
I wonder if it might be an omen. Don't the Malkieri (women?) cut their hair short when in mourning? I seem to recall something like that happening at the end of NS when that what's-her-name Arrel discovered her daughter was dead.

Just because it happened by accident doesn't mean it isn't some sort of foreshadowing >_> Nooo Lan nooooo