PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Fantasy is TWOK?

mokaloka99
11-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey guys/ladies,

Im asking for this book for christmas and in anticipation of reading it i was curious about some details.

What type of fantasy is this book/series?

Is it similar to WOT - Meaning it has completely new/made up monsters/magic?

Is it similar to George RR Martin - Where it is low fantasy and mainly knights of the old days? Almost non existent magic.

Is it similar to R.A.Salvidor/DragonLance, etc - Where it is traditional fantasy as we know it. Traditional magic system, goblins, ogres, dragons, etc.

Is it similar to Steven Erikson and his Malzan empire books - Completely high fantasy, everything made from scratch, very intricate magic system/creatures/races.

Thanks for any information you guys can provide!

Isabel
11-19-2010, 10:36 PM
I would say more similair to wot. It's high magic.

Belazamon
11-20-2010, 01:37 AM
I'd actually say it's a bit closer to the Malazan books - everything in WoT is meant to be a little familiar, to drive home the theme that the Wheel turns, and Ages come and go. WoK is much more of a scratch-built world with its own intricate cosmology and many different magic systems.

Have you read any of Sanderson's other series? They'll definitely give you a heads-up on what to expect in terms of depth of worldbuilding.

Jonai
11-20-2010, 03:16 AM
I wanna say mighty morphin high fantasy. But I haven't finished reading yet. It feels like his older books with a wot influence. Not an influence as in taking anything from RJ, but just an evolution of writing style.

mokaloka99
11-23-2010, 12:37 PM
thanks guys for the information! Now i am def curious and cant wait to read it. Ive never read any of his books before other than the 2 WoT ones. I love all types of fantasy but high fantasy seems to be my fav.

thanks again!