PDA

View Full Version : So apart from "the End"......

Spasmodean
11-20-2010, 01:16 PM
What are you looking forward to most in the final book?

For me I cannot wait to see how the Black Tower arc gets resolved as I think the sh*t is about to hit the fan in a big way there.

One thing I would REALLY like to see as part of that is a PoV from someone getting 13x13'd.

Terez
11-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Moiraine kicking Elayne's sorry ass off the Sun Throne.

Helloes
11-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Because another succession is exactly what Cairhien needs :)

I'm mostly looking forward to Rand's grand reveal of what he'll actually do after he breaks the seals, hoping he actually has something to show off.

I'm also hoping for a significant amount of PoV's from Siuan, I found ToM lacking in fishing metaphors. There wasn't even a single "fish guts!"

Terez
11-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Because another succession is exactly what Cairhien needs :)
A Cairhienin ruler is what Cairhien needs, and a good one. Not a power-hungry Andoran whose intelligence is questionable and won't be able to give her full attention to both nations.

Caveatar
11-20-2010, 01:59 PM
What are you looking forward to most in the final book?

I hope to see a resolution to what I have been waiting for these 17 or so years.

But more to what you probably meant...
Loial as Chief Speaker to the Ogier.

Moridin to get an end to rebirth and go to Nirvana.

Perrin to learn how to give a really great 'wolfwhistle' to pretty women and totally tick Faile off every time he does it. :D

Talmanes to write a book , 'My Travels with Matrim Cauthon'

Tenobia and all other kings and queens in Randland to die along with Rand at the last battle,
except for Nynaeve may her kisain never fade.

All the Forsaken to join with Masema's soul falling through darkness.

The Aiel.... oh well that is too many.
I will quit.

Servus Christi
11-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Either the breaking of the Wheel or the breaking of Rand and Elayne's relationship. Seeing as neither looks likely to happen, I fear I will be greatly let down by the end :p.

David Selig
11-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Mat casually mentioning to Egwene that he married the Seanchan Empress. This would be priceless.

Icarium
11-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Egwene becoming Elai...Suffa's new damane buddy.

Mat's reaction to Rand's harem.

Mat meeting his sisters again.

Logain vs Taim showdown.

Andrac
11-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Moiraine kicking Elayne's sorry ass off the Sun Throne.

Why would moraine be the one on the sun throne? Or even kicking elayne off it? In one of the earlier books, maybe the great hunt, moraine mentions how she is like 700 something in line for the throne. I know they have gone through another aiel war and all, but I doubt all 700 people before her are dead. Plus moraine has never been power hungry. She possibly might not like elayne on the sun throne since she isn't a full cairhienin, but she won't start a rebellion and overthrown her. She could possibly however 'insist' on being her adviser, especially when it comes to cairhien.

But more to what you probably meant...
Loial as Chief Speaker to the Ogier.

Or just loial in general. He has been MIA for the past couple of books with only a brief appearance the last time he was mentioned. I know storywise its only a few months, but when he goes 2-3 books without even being MENTIONED then.....yeah, kind of sad.

What I want to know is will there ever be that ogier confrontation RJ talked about years ago? He said the ogiers from the stedding were going to meet the ogier gardeners of seanchan and there was going to be something happening from that. But that hasn't happened, and I'm wondering if it just won't now from lack of time/space in the book.

Mat casually mentioning to Egwene that he married the Seanchan Empress. This would be priceless.

This would be epic. Even more epic though would be talamanes bringing it up and mat yelling at him to keep his mouth shut and egwene saying something like 'what was that?'. Sadly though I don't think talamanes will be at that meeting, if mat even gets their in time for it.

Edynol
11-20-2010, 02:46 PM
More Mat scenes.

Moiraine meeting Rand again. I wanna see em hug.

Taim get wooped by Logain or Rand.

Alanna getting spanked by Ave.

More Mat scenes.

Olver goosing an Aes Sedai.

Perrin meeting the Wise Ones in TAR and teaching Eggy another lesson. I mean actually teaching her, not showing her up. lol.

The CotL finally becommin the righteous defenders they were meant to be Under Galad.

More Matrim Cauthon.

Elayne excepting Galad as a brother. I mean, after all he's done trying to help her she still snubs him and rejects him.

Tuon channeling and the Seanchan no longer trapping channelers.

Oh and some more Prince of the Ravens.

Enheduanna
11-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Egwene's face when Rand tells her "I totally played you."
Nynaeve saving Lan on the battlefield.
Avi's solution for saving the Aiel.
Rand and Moiraine's reunion.
Androl and Pevara getting away from the BT.
Elayne dying in a gruesome and permanent way.
The end of the "three become one" mystery. Three powers, three girlfriends, three Ta'Veren?
DEMANDRED!!! Wherefore art thou?
How will Rand live again?

Terez
11-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Why would moraine be the one on the sun throne? Or even kicking elayne off it? In one of the earlier books, maybe the great hunt, moraine mentions how she is like 700 something in line for the throne.
I think you must be thinking of something else. We know she has a stronger claim than probably anyone else - the Hall tried to put her on the Sun Throne when Laman was killed. But Moiraine wanted to find Rand, and she also feared the mobs that would inevitably come as a result of an Aes Sedai ruler.

Plus moraine has never been power hungry.
Fortunately. That is exactly the problem with Elayne. You don't have to be power-hungry to be a ruler - you just have to care.

Callahan
11-20-2010, 02:52 PM
1.Bela Vs Narg with the World's fate at stake.

2.Logain Vs Taim

3.Nynaeve rescuing Lan.I think this will be epic as she will be the complete opposite of "cool, calm and serene".In fact, I think she'll be so angry in this battle she will scare the hell outta any friendly forces that are with her.

4.Moiraine reuniting with Siuan.

5.Thousands of Axe wielding Ogier charging into the fray like an avalanche.

6.Aviendha deciding the best way to prevent her vision of the future is to not have sex with Rand.

7.Tuon being collared by Galgan.

Caveatar
11-20-2010, 03:07 PM
More Mat scenes.
More Mat scenes.

More Matrim Cauthon.

Oh and and some more Prince of the Ravens.

Are you forgetful or are we to deduce that you LIKE Mat scenes? :D

More Mat is what Fortuona may-she-lose-her-virginity-to-a-Taveren (or maybe to a Tavern) really needs. :D:D

Andrac
11-20-2010, 03:07 PM
I think you must be thinking of something else. We know she has a stronger claim than probably anyone else - the Hall tried to put her on the Sun Throne when Laman was killed. But Moiraine wanted to find Rand, and she also feared the mobs that would inevitably come as a result of an Aes Sedai ruler.

I may or may not have been wrong about the 700 something, but I know I'm not wrong about her being far from the throne. I can remember that much at least, her saying she was so far from the throne that it wasn't worth worrying about.

The Hall trying to put her on the throne doesn't prove she has a better claim, they try to do whatever benefits them the most regardless of who else it effects or if it even makes sense. Of course they would want an aes sedai on the throne of a nation. Its irrelevant to them if moraine doesn't have the strongest claim.

Daekyras
11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Actually, i was thinking of aviendha the other day and was thinking she might end up sacrificing herself to save someone because she thimks it might stop that version of the future;

anyway, i'm expecting the fields of merrilor scene to be very very short. Rand then sends all the armies to caemlyn/tarwins gap.massive battles ensue.

What i'd really, really like to see is taim vs Mat. How good would it be to see the arrogant facade drop as the weaaves dissolve and an ashandieri blade cuts his heart in twain. His last thoughts can be about how he shoud have practiced the sword more....

That won't happen though. I'd also like to see more awesome T'A'R battles.

Neilbert
11-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Aes Sedai / Asha'man / SOMEONE (but hopefully Aes Sedai) Traveling to Tarwin's Gap and helping Lan out.

The Aes Sedai let Malkier down last time because they took too long to get there, this can not happen again. Redemption is needed.

The Black Tower. Whatever Logain is doing I want to know.

Who kills Demandred?
Is it Perrin? He is going to go check out the Black Tower dreamspike.
Logain? He seems set up for Taim, but Demandred would be a nice addition.
Mat? He is in the area, and both him and Perrin are needing a forsaken kill. I think Mat is less likely because he couldn't permakill one.
Narishma? Rand did teach him balefire and tell him to use it on a forsaken if he saw one. I hope he sees one.
Rand? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

Andrac
11-20-2010, 03:21 PM
One thing I forgot to add myself is, will the dark one die? Thats what I am most looking forward to. This whole repeat thing that goes on and on forever is a hero is born who rises up and seals the dark one away again. Well rand said he wanted to kill the dark one forever so he would never come back. Ish/Mor said this was an unbelievably stupid thing to say, basically implying that it is either impossible or can't be done by anyone except the creator. This was also before the dragonmount scene, so I am wondering if rand still thinks this or if he has accepted death like the aiel say he also accepts that he can't kill the dark one and just needs to seal him away again.

Maybe the key to it is actually breaking the wheel. That way no one gets reborn, people just are born naturally and the numbers go up and down based on war/disease/etc. Unless rand manages to completely break open the prison fully and the dark one joins with shadar haran to be an actual physical person (so to speak) and then fights rand.

welshlad
11-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Some big names getting bumped off.

I'm not expecting a George RR Martin decimation, but some painfully sad losses.

Faile. It would be a tradegy for WoT's saddest character : Perrin

Min. I would cry if this happened, but it seems she makes Rand too happy for her to survive.

Lan. He's obsessed with dying.

Don't get me wrong, I like these guys, but a tear-fest would make the book for me.

Jonai
11-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Looking forward to Rand dying and Nyn transmigrating his soul into Logain's body. Taim and Demmy's deaths would be hawt too.

TankSpill
11-20-2010, 03:58 PM
I see a lot of people posting "Logain vs. Taim," or some variation on it, but I have to say, I don't think things would go in our boy's favor if that happened. Remember, Rand noticed that Taim can hold almost as much of the power as himself (we've never seen a specific measurement on Logain, but Rand also didn't remark on that), plus, Taim's got a lot of DarkSide training. I would love to see Logain's faction oust Taim's, but I think a mano-a-mano fight between the two of them would not be in Logain's favor.

CaraighanMaconar
11-20-2010, 04:03 PM
What's in all of Verin's letters, and did anyone else interesting get one?
Where in the name of the Creator is Logain? What exactly is his power and glory to come? Can I get just one POV??
Resolution of the BT situation.
Galad and Rand
More Rand and Tam
Rand and Moridin
What roles do Moiraine and Lanfear have to play?
Tuon and Mat
Dragon Decimation (and hope RJ wrote it)

C.

Jonai
11-20-2010, 04:04 PM
I think it would be if Gabrielle and Toviene are still alive. We don't really have much information to go concerning and Logain. Rand is weaker in LoC than he is now though. In KoD, Logain seemed to think Rand was noticably stronger. It takes 6 avg AS to hold Logain's shield. I don't think Taim outstrips him much. Maybe Rand taught Logain something off screen. He got death gates and blossoms of fire just from the manor attack.

Andrac
11-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I see a lot of people posting "Logain vs. Taim," or some variation on it, but I have to say, I don't think things would go in our boy's favor if that happened. Remember, Rand noticed that Taim can hold almost as much of the power as himself (we've never seen a specific measurement on Logain, but Rand also didn't remark on that), plus, Taim's got a lot of DarkSide training. I would love to see Logain's faction oust Taim's, but I think a mano-a-mano fight between the two of them would not be in Logain's favor.

We already know the black tower is going to be destroyed. Wasn't it min who said elyane would be walking across the grounds of the black tower as it sits in rubble and burns to the ground? I think after that the palace in tar valon that eliada was building will become the new black tower. With saiden cleansed men will need a place to learn so they don't hurt themselves or others, well isn't it convienant that theres a half finished palace right next to the white tower where women go to learn?

Jonai
11-20-2010, 04:07 PM
The Black Tower will be rent in fire and blood and sisters shall walk its grounds. (Elaida not Min)

Says nothing about destruction, anymore than "the unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign" destroyed the White Tower.

Nicci
11-21-2010, 01:51 AM
[...]I think after that the palace in tar valon that eliada was building will become the new black tower. With saiden cleansed men will need a place to learn so they don't hurt themselves or others, well isn't it convienant that theres a half finished palace right next to the white tower where women go to learn?

My, there's a good thought. Thanks for catching that; I never gave the place a second thought while reading. In retrospect it seems odd Sanderson mentions it specifically with everything else going on.

Terez
11-21-2010, 03:25 AM
I may or may not have been wrong about the 700 something, but I know I'm not wrong about her being far from the throne.
Sorry dude, but you are wrong. Either find a quote or shut up about it. The Hall tried to put her on the throne because Laman was her UNCLE. He didn't have any children. Damodred and Riatin are the two most powerful houses in Cairhien, having been the last two to hold the throne.

Helloes
11-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Moiraine's claim is only slightly better than Elayne's, very slightly - not enough to unseat an already crowned Queen however. Not even close.

I'm actually curious in how you think Moiraine is going to be crowned, because the current Hall won't support her in it - they much prefer Elayne, who is not only a personal friend of the Amyrlin seat but also a sister who works together with other sisters. Something Moiraine has never done, at least not willingly.

Dobraine and everyone loyal to Rand won't support it, since they support his choice - Elayne. The nobles Elayne bribed with Andoran land certainly won't support her since that would mean losing that.

Rand won't support it either, Cairhien needs stability, three Queens in less than a year isn't going to do that. Besides, I think he'd want Moiraine by his side.

And most importantly, Moiraine doesn't even want to be Queen. You could argue times have changed and the reasons she didn’t want to be a Queen doesn’t apply anymore (fear of being an open Aes Sedai ruler). I got the impression though that it was more than that, I believe she’s the type of person who can’t sit still. She'd much rather handle problems herself than order others to do it.

It's just an impossibly steep hill to climb and I don't see it being possible without Elayne dying.

---

Again on topic: Elaida re-uniting with all other sisters yelling "Suffa is the Amyrlin seat!!" would be pretty sweet.

GonzoTheGreat
11-21-2010, 10:47 AM
It's just an impossibly steep hill to climb and I don't see it being possible without Elayne dying.Which of course would be a great pity, but perhaps we just have to make that sacrifice.

Davian93
11-21-2010, 10:52 AM
A Cairhienin ruler is what Cairhien needs, and a good one. Not a power-hungry Andoran whose intelligence is questionable and won't be able to give her full attention to both nations.

That's BS...Elayne is very intelligent and she's shown it on several occasions throughout the books. She's lacking in common sense and experience, not raw intelligence.

Icarium
11-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I don't care if Moiraine would be a better ruler than Elayne or not. I just think spending any time on yet another succession plot would be ridiculous. So many more important things need to happen in the final volume.

Edynol
11-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Moiraine wouldn't take the throne anyway imo. Remember she's pretty much disowned her family.

Neilbert
11-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Taim being around as strong as Rand was way back in book 6, and Taim may even have picked up Rand's fat man Angreal. It is also possible that Rand gave Logain some off screen channeling lessons, at the very least Logain picked up some of Rands moves. If Logain can invert and reverse that might be the edge he needs, I don't have trouble imagining the Shadow not teaching their pupils those tricks.

alleluia_cone
11-21-2010, 01:16 PM
That's BS...Elayne is very intelligent and she's shown it on several occasions throughout the books. She's lacking in common sense and experience, not raw intelligence.

She's not exactly scoring well when it comes to heeding direct warnings.

Davian93
11-21-2010, 01:18 PM
She's not exactly scoring well when it comes to heeding direct warnings.

That would fall under the "common sense" column.

dpt24
11-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Elayne's plan with Carahein is ridiculously insane and will probably get her murdered in her sleep unless Rand, Brigette, Mat, Perrin, Avi and Moraine aren't constantly around her... so yes, I hope Moraine claims the throne. But I'm not convinced it will happen, because it will make the chapters devoted to Elayne claiming the throne a waste of time

Jonai
11-21-2010, 02:55 PM
What about Moiraine acting as steward of Cairhien under Elayne? Seems like it solves everyone's problems. Elayne can't possibly give both nations the oversight they need by herself anyways. Galad would be another candidate, if Whitecloaks didn't swear for life.

Mam A'Lemur
11-21-2010, 03:22 PM
What about Moiraine acting as steward of Cairhien under Elayne? Seems like it solves everyone's problems. Elayne can't possibly give both nations the oversight they need by herself anyways. Galad would be another candidate, if Whitecloaks didn't swear for life.

Plus, with Moiraine acting as steward, Thom will be involved, too. And isn't he adept at the Game of Houses? That would be a plus, having a couple of "players" in charge there.

Terez
11-21-2010, 04:18 PM
That's idiotic. Elayne doesn't need Cairhien on top of Andor. She doesn't deserve it. Moiraine should be queen, full stop.

Jonai
11-21-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't even think she needs Andor, tbh. *grin*

Terez
11-21-2010, 04:45 PM
She can have Andor. It suits her. Cairhien needs Moiraine. And Thom. I don't think the chapters where she goes to sit on the throne are wasted; it gave us some much-needed info on the state of things in Cairhien, and got Cairhien to Merrilor, and gave us a glimpse of why exactly Elayne shouldn't rule Cairhien. I don't think it's an accident that there has been no coronation; she won't officially take the throne, ever.

David Selig
11-21-2010, 04:58 PM
I'd love to see some quotes showing Moiraine having even the slightest interest in becoming Queen of Cairhien, because I can't think of any. And there's a lot in New Spring implying that back then becoming a Queen was the last thing Moiraine wanted to do. Sure, a lot of things have changed since then, but still...

BTW, there was a coronation of Elayne, it just wasn't shown in full and the feast was cancelled. If she wasn't crowned, the Cairhienian forces wouldn't have come with her to Merrilor.

Davian93
11-21-2010, 05:02 PM
She can have Andor. It suits her. Cairhien needs Moiraine. And Thom. I don't think the chapters where she goes to sit on the throne are wasted; it gave us some much-needed info on the state of things in Cairhien, and got Cairhien to Merrilor, and gave us a glimpse of why exactly Elayne shouldn't rule Cairhien. I don't think it's an accident that there has been no coronation; she won't officially take the throne, ever.

Its not gonna happen. Its the last thing she wants to do and there are a million better things for her to do (like retire and travel with Thom).

morat'corlm
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
She doesn't deserve it.Not to detract from your wanting a pony, but is there any evidence of whether Taringail or Moiraine was the elder sibling? 'Cause that's the only thing that determines which of them would deserve it more. You know, if Moiraine wanted the throne.

Not that it matters, Queen Elayne of Andor and Cairhien being a fait accompli.

David Selig
11-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Taryngail was already married to Tigraine and had a kid born when Tigraine disappeared in 972 NE. Back then Moiraine was 16, so chances are Taringail was older. ;)

Though if we are going along this lines, then Galad and gawyn have an even better claim, yet nobody seems to consider them as candidates for the Sun Throne.

morat'corlm
11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Galad might. And now he's all lovey-dovey with Berelain, one-time steward of Cairhien... but it wouldn't be the right thing to contest with his sister.

Gawyn only wants to be Egwene's Warder, and any country where he might have a good claim to the throne is probably fully supportive of that ambition.

Squocka
11-21-2010, 06:07 PM

Priceless allright

Terez
11-21-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd love to see some quotes showing Moiraine having even the slightest interest in becoming Queen of Cairhien
As I told you in the other thread, this is completely irrelevant, and actually a point in her favor. I dislike repeating myself.

And there's a lot in New Spring implying that back then becoming a Queen was the last thing Moiraine wanted to do. Sure, a lot of things have changed since then, but still...No, there is no 'but still'. Everything has changed since then, as I described for you before. None of her reasons for fearing the throne are still valid.

BTW, there was a coronation of ElayneNo, there wasn't. All she did was sit on the throne and give them orders to go to Merillor, which was supposed to be the next day. And even if there had been...anything that can be done, can be undone. :)

Though if we are going along this lines, then Galad and gawyn have an even better claim, yet nobody seems to consider them as candidates for the Sun Throne.
Because they are Andoran. Having an Andoran rule Cairhien is dumb, no matter their blood. They were raised in Andor, and have no real feeling for Cairhien.

Terez
11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Its not gonna happen. Its the last thing she wants to do and there are a million better things for her to do (like retire and travel with Thom).
That is retarded.

Davian93
11-21-2010, 06:19 PM
That is retarded.

Why? Because it doesn't fit with your theory but DOES fit with her very comments and past history with both the throne of Cairhien AND using her House connections?

Why are you so pissy all of a sudden?

morat'corlm
11-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Because they are Andoran. Having an Andoran rule Cairhien is dumb, no matter their blood. They were raised in Andor, and have no real feeling for Cairhien.Like having a German on the throne of England is dumb?

That they are members of House Trakand and direct descendants of the eldest line of House Damodred counts for a great deal more than where they were raised. They could have grown up with the Sea Folk, and they'd deserve the throne more than Moiraine.

Linnemir
11-21-2010, 06:23 PM

I suspect that Galad is going to be rather busy with Bereaine (sp?)

Terez
11-21-2010, 06:50 PM
That they are members of House Trakand and direct descendants of the eldest line of House Damodred counts for a great deal more than where they were raised.
No, it doesn't. I can guarantee that Elayne wouldn't be happy about Moiraine ruling Andor, for example.

They could have grown up with the Sea Folk, and they'd deserve the throne more than Moiraine.
That is bullshit. They haven't done anything to 'deserve' the throne.

morat'corlm
11-21-2010, 06:57 PM
I can guarantee that Elayne wouldn't be happy about Moiraine ruling Andor, for example.She wouldn't be happy about Dyelin ruling Andor, either. But unlike Dyelin, Moiraine has no claim to the Lion Throne.That is bullshit. They haven't done anything to 'deserve' the throne.They were born.

Terez
11-21-2010, 07:20 PM
She wouldn't be happy about Dyelin ruling Andor, either.
The fact that she is power-hungry is beside the point.

But unlike Dyelin, Moiraine has no claim to the Lion Throne.
It wouldn't matter if she did.

morat'corlm
11-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Of course it would matter. As for the rest...the haters take it to an irrational extreme
What has Moiraine ever done to "deserve" (in the modern, not the monarchical, sense) the throne of Cairhien? She got out of Dodge the moment she could and never came back. Does a carpetbagger like that deserve the throne more than a woman who is earnestly dedicated to good government and is running on a unification platform that will see Cairhien finally strong enough to stand up against the Tairens, the Aiel, or any other invader that comes along? She's Taringail's kid, born and bred to rule and rule justly, not some younger-daughter dilettante who willingly threw her life in politics away to become Dragonsworn before the Dragon ever proclaimed himself... I mean, I said earlier she never came back, but that's not strictly accurate, is it? She came back whispering in the ear of the head of an Aiel army and cared not whether Cairhien became tributary to the Taardad, or the Goshien, or the Shaarad savages, but Cairhien's civilized brothers and sisters in Andor, who not twenty years ago were hoped would be unified with the Sun Throne under Taringail Damodred, now coming to join under Taringail's daughter, oh Light no. Time for the Dragon's pet Aes Sedai to take up a new hobby in those circumstances!

Terez
11-21-2010, 09:04 PM
What has Moiraine ever done to "deserve" (in the modern, not the monarchical, sense) the throne of Cairhien? She got out of Dodge the moment she could and never came back.
1. She was raised in the Sun Palace. It is her home. Elayne is an impostor.

2. She has done more to earn honor for House Damodred than anyone in living memory. It pained Moiraine that her House's reputation was so black, and that is why she doesn't often use the name. She deserves the chance to change that as a ruler.

3. She did penance for Laman's Sin when she became the first wetlander woman to enter Rhuidean, the first Aes Sedai to cooperate with Wise Ones, and the first treekiller to earn the respect of the Aiel since Laman himself severed that trust. Her very first penance as an Aes Sedai was taken because she shed no tears for her uncles' deaths.

4. She was the first Aes Sedai to swear fealty to Rand. She even swore to obey him. All this to spend her last days telling what he would need to know to deal with the Cairhienin, before she had to go away.

5. Lanfear on the docks. Of Cairhien. With the Cairhienin nobility looking on. And the Aiel.

6. Thom created the vacancy on the throne in the first place. For love, incidentally.

7. Moiraine brought the Amyrlin Seat, the Dragon Reborn, the First Prince of the Ravens, the Queen of Malkier, and the High Lord of the Two Rivers out of the Two Rivers in the first place. She guided the Amyrlin Seat to her first touching of the Power. She led the Dragon Reborn to proclaim himself.

8. Her name phonetically means 'me queen' in French.

9. She is Blue Ajah. They are known for their skill and obsession with politics. Lelaine said as much to Elayne, that she should have chosen the Blue.

10. She was raised as a Cairhienin, and therefore thinks like one, talks like one, and looks like one (unlike Elayne). The Cairhienin deserve to have a ruler who represents them culturally. Elayne does not.

Does a carpetbagger like that deserve the throne more than a woman who is earnestly dedicated to good government and is running on a unification platform that will see Cairhien finally strong enough to stand up against the Tairens, the Aiel, or any other invader that comes along?This is possible through alliances. Conquest is not necessary. And the future Aviendha saw suggests that Cairhien is in a different alliance than Andor, though those two alliances are also closely tied together. Makes sense, since Moiraine is also Aes Sedai, and Elayne's aunt and all.

morat'corlm
11-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Hey, all those things are great. I'm not arguing that Moiraine isn't a hero. But it doesn't make her a native daughter of Cairhien, a nation she's disdained for all of her adult life. And it doesn't mean she deserves the Sun Throne.
1. She was raised in the Sun Palace. It is her home. Elayne is an impostor.She was raised in the Sun Palace because House Damodred held the Sun Throne. Now that House Damodred wants to return there, the senior line–that of Taringail–takes precedence over the junior, that of Moiraine.It pained Moiraine that her House's reputation was so black, and that is why she doesn't often use the name.So now that there's an opportunity, she leaps right in after doing precisely nothing to change the culture of the House from the inside? Who's supposed to be power-hungry here again?3. She did penance for Laman's Sin when she became the first wetlander woman to enter Rhuidean, the first Aes Sedai to cooperate with Wise Ones, and the first treekiller to earn the respect of the Aiel since Laman himself severed that trust.Good for her. Moiraine Sedai, that is, who certainly didn't advertise that she was Laman's niece. Doesn't penance require an acknowledgment of the crime?She was the first Aes Sedai to swear fealty to Rand. She even swore to obey him. All this to spend her last days telling what he would need to know to deal with the Cairhienin, before she had to go away.So she betrayed the secrets of her land to an imperialist conqueror? She's the liege-lady of an outside power?Lanfear on the docks. Of Cairhien. With the Cairhienin nobility looking on. And the Aiel.Is it the job of the queen to physically do battle with her enemies? Moiraine's impulsive decision to save the Lord Dragon over herself bodes ill for the future. Thom created the vacancy on the throne in the first place.Then isn't it better to put someone whose husband is not attainted with treason and regicide–pardoned by Elayne or no–on the throne?Moiraine brought the Amyrlin Seat, the Dragon Reborn, the First Prince of the Ravens, the Queen of Malkier, and the High Lord of the Two Rivers out of the Two Rivers in the first place. She guided the Amyrlin Seat to her first touching of the Power. She led the Dragon Reborn to proclaim himself.And this qualifies her as an administrator? Are we now to select our queen based on which famous names she has on speed-dial? Besides, Queen Elayne has even closer connections to all those people.Her name phonetically means 'me queen' in French.Alas, a Fifth Age language unknown to the Cairhienin.She is Blue Ajah. They are known for their skill and obsession with politics. Lelaine said as much to Elayne, that she should have chosen the Blue.They are known as manipulators and liars who seek to rule the world from the White Tower. Better that the schemes be of an ordinary sort, for ordinary people, not those of the witches. Better that the Queen be Green Ajah, connected to the Tower through the slimmer thread of defending the world from the Shadow. Who couldn't get behind that?She was raised as a Cairhienin, and therefore thinks like one, talks like one, and looks like one (unlike Elayne). The Cairhienin deserve to have a ruler who represents them culturally. Elayne does not.The times, they are a-changing. Maybe if the lower classes of Cairhien got more of that Andoran justice and less of the brutality of Cairhien-insider lords and ladies like Moiraine, they'd be less likely to have that revolution that's brewing. Elayne has mandated supplemental nutrition assistance for children in Andor. What would Moiraine say? Let them eat cake?This is possible through alliances. Conquest is not necessary.What conquest? Elayne came to Cairhien with no Andoran soldiers whatsoever except her personal bodyguard. But I suppose, as they say nowadays,
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/233/elaynehaters.jpg

Terez
11-21-2010, 09:48 PM
GAH, there is so much idiocy in that post that it makes me want to scream. I have better things to do than address bullshit arguments.

Rahvin571
11-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Things I hope to see in aMoL:

- A chapter or less (max!) devoted to more succession stuff. The world has more important things to deal with than determining who should sit on a chair when the country is already being ruled fine...

- Rand meeting with Moiraine. I had really looked forward for her to meet an angry Rand, but the Tam meeting replaced that quite well. I still want to see their reunion, however.

- Mat coming back to Caemlyn and giving the Trollec army hell

- The 3 Ta'veran together again

- Rand's demands for actually showing up at TG

- The Last Battle (obviously)

subwoofer
11-21-2010, 10:28 PM
6.Aviendha deciding the best way to prevent her vision of the future is to not have sex with Rand.

LOL! That one floored me! Birth control as a means to preventing apocalypse.

Like Caveatar, I am also wanting to see Loial address the Stump. Then the Ogier putting the long handle on their collective axes.

I am also waiting for a big epic battle. I didn't get into WoT for the theoretical T'AR war or the Norse & Judeo-Christian symbolism, I got into WoT because of the natural transition from LotR. Guys with swords fighting well... not humans. I want to see some Warders kick butt. I want to see some Aes Sedai show that they don't have their heads up their butts. Let the last book live up to the title of the Last Battle.

... and Mat's Dragons. That is going to be the icing on the cake. The Band of the Red Hand is going to be epic in the last book. Bar none.:)

I'm not asking much, am I?

dpt24
11-21-2010, 11:54 PM
If Elayne's smart, she will give the Sun Throne up. Seriously, it'll cause nothing but trouble for her, and it's not like there's anything in Andor she needs to worry about, right.... Moraine would be a good queen of Carahiem, and then the Carahiem are happier. Plus, dual Monarchies tend to fall apart violently...

Belazamon
11-22-2010, 12:46 AM
I'd just like to put my stamp of approval on morat'corlm's rebuttal.

natasharma
11-22-2010, 03:18 AM
# Mat saving Caemlyn and hopefully getting thanked for it

# Fortuona getting angry at Toy for losing an eye.

# Fortuona meeting Hawkwing once the horn is sounded and being told how wrong she is to collar AS

# Moraine / Cadsuane showdown

# Moraine going to Tarwin's Gap to help Lan because Nynaeve cant go (she has to go to SG)

# Perrin vs Slayer (again)

# Logain returning to BT to dethrone Taim

# The Ogiers joining the battle just in time to turn the tide

# Demandred making his location known

I should stop now or I'll end up writing my own version of the book :D

jana
11-22-2010, 03:22 AM
Fortuona getting angry at Toy for losing an eye.

Toy is dead.

I just realized I haven't posted in this topic.

I'm looking forward to Moiraine being mentioned in every other sentence of the book regardless of whose PoV it is or whether they know she exists :shakefist:

natasharma
11-22-2010, 03:24 AM
Toy is dead

Ofcourse he is... But its more fun to think of it this way

skaywalker
11-22-2010, 03:24 AM
Okay, what was this tread about?

I understand cheering for this or that character, but just because you like someone and want something it doesn't mean that it HAS TO HAPPEN. Well I don't like Egwene, should I start an argument why she doesn't deserve to be Amyrlin and um.... Leane does?

Anyway... In AMoL I want to see:

The Black Tower solution
Perrin finally kicking Slayer's @$$
The Forsaken vs The goog guys
Mat explaining the battle plan for the LB while Ituralde, Bashere, Gareth and Agelmar listen in awe ;)

David Selig
11-22-2010, 03:51 AM
I am really looking forward to the many reunions which are about to happen at Merrilor. I hope they are not rushed due to the Trollocs and maybe Seanchan invading in Caemlyn and elsewhere.

I've waited for so many books to see the main characters get together again and swap stories of their adventures, it would be a a real disappointment if all of this is rushed. I want to see Rand and Mat having a long talk to catch up. I want to see Mat react after hearing about Rand's harem. Egwene too, for that matter.

And, of course, we need a long scene of everyone reacting to Moiraine being back from the dead. I really hope Perrin will keep his mouth shut and won't spoil the fun.

jana
11-22-2010, 04:04 AM
I've waited for so many books to see the main characters get together again and swap stories of their adventures, it would be a a real disappointment if all of this is rushed. I want to see Rand and Mat having a long talk to catch up. I want to see Mat react after hearing about Rand's harem. Egwene too, for that matter.

And, of course, we need a long scene of everyone reacting to Moiraine being back from the dead. I really hope Perrin will keep his mouth shut and won't spoil the fun.

I agree. I'm not worried about Perrin telling people though. I think that was the whole point of that paragraph in ToM, to show a good reason for his *not* telling everyone. (even though it was obvious that he shouldn't get Rand's hopes up).

The timing of the Caemlyn invasion is annoying. The stupid trollocs should've waited one day so we could have our happy time.

Jonai
11-22-2010, 04:08 AM
It might be because I'm rereading New Spring and getting all nostalgic for the good ole days, but now, damnit I want a Siuan-Moiraine reunion! And Rand and Moiraine of course. She gave up her life for him, and he's set his soul on fire in her memory. Everyone else is secondary.

jana
11-22-2010, 04:11 AM
Siuan-Moiraine reunion!
:mad:

Jonai
11-22-2010, 04:12 AM
Are you a Siuan hater?

jana
11-22-2010, 04:13 AM
Are you a Siuan hater?
Now I'm doubly mad.

:mad::mad:

See?

Jonai
11-22-2010, 04:14 AM
That's a lot of anger.

jana
11-22-2010, 04:15 AM
That's a lot of anger.

You'll understand it eventually. Hopefully before I go to bed.

Jonai
11-22-2010, 04:22 AM
I think understanding is starting to dawn.

morat'corlm
11-22-2010, 04:29 AM
Funny that even after they've both been de-powered, Siuan is still the top in that relationship. She has the right to demand the better pillow and everything.

jana
11-22-2010, 04:37 AM
Siuan is still the top in that relationship. She has the right to demand the better pillow and everything.

Why?

Jonai
11-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Moiraine can still make her melt.

morat'corlm
11-22-2010, 04:51 AM
Why?Strength in the Power, of course. The Power of Love.

Jonai
11-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Strength in the Power, of course. The Power of Love.

Cause I am your lady
And you are my dame
Whenever you reach for me
I'll do all that I can
We're heading for something
Somewhere I've never been
Sometimes I am frightened
But I'm ready to learn
Of the power of loooovvvvvveeeeee

jana
11-22-2010, 05:04 AM
I am so conflicted right now.

Has this thread fallen apart, or has it reached a level of awesome that can never be equalled?

Ok, we're talking about Moiraine and Siuan. Every thread should have some o' that.

Jonai
11-22-2010, 05:10 AM
This thread has taken a Siuan dive. (and I'm ok with that)

jana
11-22-2010, 05:14 AM
This thread has taken a Siuan dive. (and I'm ok with that)

I had lots of lols

lots of lols = llooll?

missbee
11-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Some of the smaller characters proving their worth; Tam making the most of his experience, Androl and Emarin outsmarting Taim's lackeys, General Tylee thinking outside the box, Sharina doing something to justify her strength in OP
The use of the recently developed technology - steamwagons in particular
The wolves in action 'en masse'
Logain's moment of glory - it had better be against Taim
Angry Ogier
Egwene facing all three ta'varen at once - sooo much potential there, I'm hoping that she'll reassess her attitude and not attempt to work against them but I'm probably being too optimistic there
Elayne doing something stupid with epic results (again) - there must be a reason why she got the 'get out of jail free' card for the AS oaths
Tuon resolution - what part will her marriage to Mat play?
Mat using his old battle memories
Perrin and his hammer
Moiraine meeting Cadsuanne

and this!

3.Nynaeve rescuing Lan.I think this will be epic as she will be the complete opposite of "cool, calm and serene".In fact, I think she'll be so angry in this battle she will scare the hell outta any friendly forces that are with her.

Icarium
11-22-2010, 01:09 PM
I wonder if Joline or Edesina will inform Egwene about Mat's marriage. I hope not because this so needs to be a surprise and with Mat right there to tell her. Cadsuane meeting Egwene could be fun too. Also, I would like to see Mat telling Rand or Perrin the truth about his memories.

Rand al'Fain
11-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Me, well, let's see.

Loial showing up with an army of Ogier and meeting the Seanchan Ogier.

Logain's Glory part.

Tuon wondering what the hell happened to Mat and wondering why he is so familiar with the Amyrlin.

Egwene getting knocked off of her high horse and landing on her butt, hard.

Everyone's reaction to Moraine still being alive.

The Caemlyn scene where I think that the Band will gather the mercenary forces and counter attack the invading Trollocs.

Olver having a surprise roll, quite possibly being adopted by Mat and Tuon (practically is already).

Elayne learning some common sense and NOT getting her allies and guards killed needlessly (wishful thinking, I know, but still).

Find out what happens with Lanfear/Cyndane/whatever she is calling herself now.

Perrin schooling Egwene in TAR.

Rand doing more of his Taveren magic.

Galad and Rand finding out that they are brothers.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to quite a bit.

alleluia_cone
11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Logain's Glory part.

Maybe you want to rephrase that sentence because right now the image I'm getting is positively pornographic. LOL

Egwene getting knocked off of her high horse and landing on her butt, hard.

I really question the wisdom of this and other desires wishing to see Egwene get beaten. Personally, I don't buy the whole "embrace the pain" deal when it comes to her. I'm convinced she's into S&M and the whole Aiel thing is a cover story. Beating her with whips, straps, and whatever else is playing right into her hands. I'm pretty sure this is why Rand and her don't work together; she desperately wants Rand to punish her and he doesn't roll that way. In any case, the honeymoon between her and Gawyn should be interesting. LOL

Edit: I admit all of the above might just be fanciful speculation. It's very well possible that Egwene is simply a hateful b*tch and her attitude is in no way controlled by her subconscious desire to be beaten. But at least this way I can have some sympathy for her, so I'm sticking to it.

Elayne learning some common sense and NOT getting her allies and guards killed needlessly (wishful thinking, I know, but still).

But there was no way to anticipate that Caemlyn would be invaded! . . . Oh, wait . . .

Perrin schooling Egwene in TAR.

Didn't this already happen?

Galad and Rand finding out that they are brothers.

I really hope they write this event from Galad's POV, although, if it was Berelain's, it would be just as funny. Little does she know her connection to the Dragon Reborn is going to be a lot closer than she could have ever hoped for.

Caveatar
11-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Maybe you want to rephrase that sentence because right now the image I'm getting is positively pornographic. LOL

I really hope they write this event from Galad's POV, although, if it was Berelain's, it would be just as funny. Little does she know her connection to the Dragon Reborn is going to be a lot closer than she could have ever hoped for.

Connected through Galad's Glory Part?

These aren't the Glory Parts you're looking for.

Your old Jedi Mind Trick won't work on me. :D

Edynol
11-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Connected through Galad's Glory Part?

These aren't the Glory Parts you're looking for.

Your old Jedi Mind Trick won't work on me. :D

Well Galad's with Perrin now. Maybe he'll learn how to Ease the Badger?

Crispin's Crispian
11-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I just hope Logain's glory doesn't have anything to do with a hole in a mountain.

Sukoto
11-22-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm looking forward to Nynaeve kicking someone else's arse. I hope she gets to face Moghedien again.

I recently reread the big White Tower fight scene in ToM, and I thought it was cool how Egwene was heavily drawing on Nynaeve's experience facing Moghedien in TAR. Oh, and I loved how Katerine got a spear through the neck. She was without a doubt one of the most heinous b!tches in the series. Right up there next to Cadsuane.

Jonai
11-22-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm looking forward to Nynaeve kicking someone else's arse. I hope she gets to face Moghedien again.

By the Great Lord's Tonsils, Moggy shall rise again!!!

subwoofer
11-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Cause I am your lady
And you are my dame
Whenever you reach for me
I'll do all that I can
We're heading for something
Somewhere I've never been
Sometimes I am frightened
But I'm ready to learn
Of the power of loooovvvvvveeeeee
The horror (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNUr__-VZeQ).

Celene is from my country and we are all happy at her Vegas stint. Far away from here.:)

Onto other topics- I can't wait for Mat to sound the Horn again.

Jonai
11-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Interesting thing about the Horn, it's far more ancient than the AoL, yet the inscription is in the Old Tongue - made in the AoL. It was never used though during the Collapse or the WoP. I wonder if will find out any of its secrets before the end.

morat'corlm
11-22-2010, 07:54 PM
I think that's just a screw-up where Jordan didn't think too much about the logical consequences of language, the same reason Shai'tan's 'true name' is in the Old Tongue.

Jonai
11-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I think that's just a screw-up where Jordan didn't think too much about the logical consequences of language, the same reason Shai'tan's 'true name' is in the Old Tongue.

Well Maria didn't make it sound accidental.

Davian93
11-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Its a cyclical universe so the language repeating is not a major issue for me.

Also, its a story...you have to suspend disbelief occasionally.

metaphor
11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
The Seanchan being put down, hard. I wan't someone to kick their asses.
If it doesn't happen the book will be a partial disappointment to me, regardless of how much I love the rest.

Andrac
11-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Well there could be a reason why its called the old tongue, it could be a language that repeats throughout the ages. So it could repeat every other age if each age lasts for a few thousand years.

The part that makes even less sense is how anyone even knows the dark ones 'true name'. I mean think of it, you are never supposed to ever say his name for fear of bringing his wrath down upon you, so how do your children learn the name if you don't tell them? How would their children learn it? How would anyone ever find out in the first place? The dark one was supposed to be sealed up in his prison by the creator at the moment of creation.

Jonai
11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Well there could be a reason why its called the old tongue, it could be a language that repeats throughout the ages. So it could repeat every other age if each age lasts for a few thousand years.

The part that makes even less sense is how anyone even knows the dark ones 'true name'. I mean think of it, you are never supposed to ever say his name for fear of bringing his wrath down upon you, so how do your children learn the name if you don't tell them? How would their children learn it? How would anyone ever find out in the first place? The dark one was supposed to be sealed up in his prison by the creator at the moment of creation.

That's the name he told his followers when the Bore was first drilled in the AoL.

Marie Curie 7
11-22-2010, 10:33 PM

Maria explicitly stated at this year's JordanCon that the writing on the Horn was inscribed during the Age of Legends, even though the Horn itself was much older.

JordanCon 24 April 2010 - Terez reporting

Tamyrlin: Is the Horn an object of the Power?

Maria: RAFO, but I will tell you something about the Horn. People always ask why the inscription on the Horn is in the Old Tongue, if it's so old. It was added in the Age of Legends.

Andrac
11-22-2010, 10:34 PM
That's the name he told his followers when the Bore was first drilled in the AoL.

That still doesn't explain how anyone else knows the name. Even darkfriends are afraid to say his real name for fear of his wrath. Hell, the forsaken don't even use it. And considering that the world has forgot just about everything from the age of legends, how would his name pass down for 3,000 years when the most battle hardened soldier would cower in fear at mention of his true name?

alleluia_cone
11-22-2010, 11:58 PM
I just hope Logain's glory doesn't have anything to do with a hole in a mountain.

I just hope it doesn't have anything to do with a hole in his pants.

Rand al'Fain
11-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Maybe you want to rephrase that sentence because right now the image I'm getting is positively pornographic. LOLI had to lol at this. Anyways, I do wonder what Min's viewing of Logain foretold though.

I really question the wisdom of this and other desires wishing to see Egwene get beaten. Personally, I don't buy the whole "embrace the pain" deal when it comes to her. I'm convinced she's into S&M and the whole Aiel thing is a cover story. Beating her with whips, straps, and whatever else is playing right into her hands. I'm pretty sure this is why Rand and her don't work together; she desperately wants Rand to punish her and he doesn't roll that way. In any case, the honeymoon between her and Gawyn should be interesting. LOL
Edit: I admit all of the above might just be fanciful speculation. It's very well possible that Egwene is simply a hateful b*tch and her attitude is in no way controlled by her subconscious desire to be beaten. But at least this way I can have some sympathy for her, so I'm sticking to it.And if she does turn out to be a hateful b*tch?

But there was no way to anticipate that Caemlyn would be invaded! . . . Oh, wait . . .While she's gone no less.

Didn't this already happen?I want seconds, what can I say?

Berelain needs to be in the room when it is revealed so that we can learn about both reactions at the sametime.

z10
11-23-2010, 01:44 AM
There's so much that needs to happen, I wonder if it would be better to split the last book into two - I would hate for there to be so much build up and then to have the ending rushed.

Apart from that, most of what I want to happen has been covered already by all the suggestions here. I really hope that by the end of the book we can have 'The Song' being found and sung by all the world to start a new golden age.

GonzoTheGreat
11-23-2010, 04:56 AM
That still doesn't explain how anyone else knows the name. Even darkfriends are afraid to say his real name for fear of his wrath. Hell, the forsaken don't even use it. And considering that the world has forgot just about everything from the age of legends, how would his name pass down for 3,000 years when the most battle hardened soldier would cower in fear at mention of his true name?Ishamael has always been quite willing to use it.
And he may now and then have given a few selected DF orders to use the DO's name, so as to keep knowledge of it alive. There is plenty of evidence that having people say that name is beneficial to the DO, so reminding them of it is to his advantage too.

CreationEdge
11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
What's Olver's purpose?

Will Birgitte find her Gaidal Cain?

Will Rand realize that there are no beginnings and no ends to the Wheel of Time, or will he just think he failed since he couldn't kill the Dark One, only re-imprison him.

Rand's body on a boat with 3 women. Will those women be HIS? Min, Avi, and Elayne, or will they be others?

I believe that, however Rand ends up staying alive, he will for one reason or another play no more of a role in the world's events. (Self-imposed exile, so he can finally LIVE.) If this is true, will his ladies all stay with him?

Siuan and Leanne's stillings were healed by another female, so now they're weaker than they were. I've always wondered if they could get RE-stilled, healed by an Asha'man, and get their full power back.

I've always wondered: Will the Dragon Academies lead to a replacement of science over Channeling, and eventually an Age that isn't aware of Channeling, or will things such as the horseless cart lead to fusions of Channeling and science, such as the sho-wings? Avi's vision had Seanchan/Sharan railroad track being laid down, but the Power still being used.

Some CLEAR foreshadowing of after-the-battle Randland. We know there'll still be wars and fighting among the nations, but I'd like a clear idea on what'll happen to the surviving world. I think ToM did a good job of that for some things. (Two Rivers becomes a nation. Possibilities from Avi's vision.)

Min babies? More info on the rest of Rand's offspring.

I would like to see sideworks published, actually. If they could compile RJ's notes and sell them, that'd be great. Tales from other Age's and lands.