PDA

View Full Version : Bah! My theory was wrong on Asmo's killer.

welshlad
11-20-2010, 03:47 PM
For years I've believed that Slayer was the culprit.
Why?

His name being "Slayer" made it "intuitively obvious" for me.

The "You? No!" was that Asmo thought it was Rand (Luc having a family resemblance) then realising it wasn't.

So, a bit of a shock when I read the glossary. I even sat there wondering who the 3rd forsaken Graendal bumped off was before I read it.

Phaw!

sheikh chilli
11-20-2010, 03:52 PM
it was clear from book 7 man. :)

Neilbert
11-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah so was mine.

Graendal was always just so boring. If she did it, then it literally might as well have been anyone else.

Andrac
11-20-2010, 04:28 PM
His death never really made sense. Least of all graendal the one doing it. I know she is power hungry and all, but the timing the whole event and how it played out just doesn't match up. I mean how would someone who wants to kill him know where he was going to be and that he was going to go to that specific room to kill him? It would have made more sense if he had been killed in his rooms or something. But when he opens a specific door in the wine cellar or wherever he was, it just doesn't match up right. Plus how would grandal even know the battle was over, or that it was taking place in the first place? We know the forsaken don't know everything thats going on. Blah.

Either way regardless of who the killer ended up being, I just wish it had actually been mentioned in the story specifically, not just shoved into one random line in the glossary.

moutarde
11-20-2010, 09:49 PM
His death never really made sense. Least of all graendal the one doing it. I know she is power hungry and all, but the timing the whole event and how it played out just doesn't match up. I mean how would someone who wants to kill him know where he was going to be and that he was going to go to that specific room to kill him? It would have made more sense if he had been killed in his rooms or something. But when he opens a specific door in the wine cellar or wherever he was, it just doesn't match up right. Plus how would grandal even know the battle was over, or that it was taking place in the first place? We know the forsaken don't know everything thats going on. Blah.

Either way regardless of who the killer ended up being, I just wish it had actually been mentioned in the story specifically, not just shoved into one random line in the glossary.

Well, it was spelled right out in the glossary, but it was also mentioned twice (that I noticed) during the events in ToM. One of them was actually near the start, when Graendal receives the dreamspike from Moridin. Moridin says something to the effect of "Are you going to try to convince me that Aran'gar was a traitor too?"

Changing subjects, Graendal knew the battle in Caemlyn was over, because she helped Rahvin fight Rand. That whole thing about Rand still having the fish bites after balefiring Rahvin. And she wasn't there hunting down Asmodean, she stumbled across him, and knowing he was a traitor, she killed him. Simple, straightforward, and fairly obvious as long as you paid attention to the little details.

Spasmodean
11-20-2010, 09:58 PM
it was clear from book 7 man. :)

It was intuitively obvious at the end of book 5 man :)

GonzoTheGreat
11-21-2010, 05:32 AM
And she wasn't there hunting down Asmodean, she stumbled across him, and knowing he was a traitor, she killed him.That, plus the fact that if his yelling had drawn attention, that would have seriously inconvenienced her. At that time, there were only two people who could have recognised her in Caemlyn: Rand and Asmodean. If she'd met Rand, she would have had a problem anyway, so then she would not have had to worry about further complications. But the problem involved with meeting Asmodean could be solved; and was solved.

Jokeslayer
11-21-2010, 05:54 AM
I can't believe it wasn't Uno. Asmodean even said his name.

Jonai
11-21-2010, 07:51 AM
I can't believe it wasn't Uno. Asmodean even said his name.

*groan*

Jokeslayer
11-21-2010, 08:37 AM
*groan*

You're welcome :)

Neilbert
11-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Changing subjects, Graendal knew the battle in Caemlyn was over, because she helped Rahvin fight Rand. That whole thing about Rand still having the fish bites after balefiring Rahvin.

It's in large part lousy arguments like these, which had already been shot down by RJ, being made like they are fact, that pushed me against Graendal so hard. The fish bites didn't heal because they were done in TAR. End of story.

Davian93
11-21-2010, 12:24 PM
It was always obvious that it was Graendal...no one else fit from the start without massive leaps of faith.

GonzoTheGreat
11-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Then again, it was intuitively obvious that most casual readers were willing to make such massive leaps of faith.

Davian93
11-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Then again, it was intuitively obvious that most casual readers were willing to make such massive leaps of faith.

If you post regularly on TL and such sites, you are, by definition, NOT a casual reader.

alleluia_cone
11-21-2010, 01:58 PM
It was always obvious that it was Graendal...no one else fit from the start without massive leaps of faith.

I don't think that's true. At the end of TFoH, I think you could have reasonably argued that it was either Graendal, Sammael, or Slayer.

That said, with each new book, it became increasingly obvious that it was Graendal.

Davian93
11-21-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't think that's true. At the end of TFoH, I think you could have reasonably argued that it was either Graendal, Sammael, or Slayer.

That said, with each new book, it became increasingly obvious that it was Graendal.

Sammael? Never had that idea at all.

I always figured the only two choices were Lanfear or Graendal and RJ's "intuitively obvious" comments seemed to eliminate Lanfear.

alleluia_cone
11-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Sammael? Never had that idea at all.

I always figured the only two choices were Lanfear or Graendal and RJ's "intuitively obvious" comments seemed to eliminate Lanfear.

I was speaking simply in logistics. Any of those three could have done it and we didn't need convoluted explanations to make it work.

With Lanfear or Moiraine, or some of the other suspects, we needed to make a lot of wild assumptions to even begin speculating how they might have killed Asmodean.

Graendal was, however, always more likely than Slayer or Sammael because Asmodean knew where she was located. Still, I don't think you can say that it was blindingly obvious that it was Graendal from the start.

Jonai
11-21-2010, 03:58 PM
If you post regularly on TL and such sites, you are, by definition, NOT a casual reader.

HCFFs unite!

Seeker
11-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Changing subjects, Graendal knew the battle in Caemlyn was over, because she helped Rahvin fight Rand. That whole thing about Rand still having the fish bites after balefiring Rahvin. And she wasn't there hunting down Asmodean, she stumbled across him, and knowing he was a traitor, she killed him. Simple, straightforward, and fairly obvious as long as you paid attention to the little details.

Then how did Rand survive?

I mean I believe you. But it's kind of a plothole, don't you think?