PDA

View Full Version : I need a WOT Guru's knowledge

Caveatar
11-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know the direction of flow of the OP through an amplifying *Angreal like the little fat man or Moiraine's current bent-backwards-man bracelet?

OP>channeler>*angreal>target
or
OP>*angreal>target
or varying with different types?
I have searched every reference I can find, which I admit is probably not all of them by a mile or two.

Does anyone know?
:confused:

Squocka
11-21-2010, 09:18 PM
For women i thought they draw through the angreal so it would be

OP - Angreal - channeler - target

The Black Wind
11-21-2010, 09:19 PM
The one power is often described as being drawn "through" the angreal which leads me to believe that the flow is...

OP > angreal > channeler > target

this should apply to both sexes

Squocka
11-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Come to think on it doesn't rand reach for the power through the access key as well.

morat'corlm
11-21-2010, 09:20 PM
You open yourself to the Source through an angreal, just as I will through Elayne. As though you mean to embrace the angreal and the Source at the same time.
but
He wrapped himself in the Void and reached out for the True Source, that sickly flickering light that was always there, just over his shoulder. The Power filled him, breath of life, wind to uproot oaks, summer wind sweetened with flowers, foul waftings from a midden heap. Floating in emptiness, he fixed the lightning-laced triangle before him and reached through the angreal, drew deeply at the raging torrent of saidin.
and
She held it reverently for a moment, then reached and pulled the One Power through it.
so it appears to be True Source->angreal->channeler, and they can be drawing directly from the True Source before redirecting the channel; you don't have to release the Source first.

Caveatar
11-21-2010, 09:22 PM
For women i thought they draw through the angreal so it would be

OP - Angreal - channeler - target

Thank you for the response. That is what I thought too.

Caveatar
11-21-2010, 09:37 PM
My reason for asking is the following.

The Dragon Reborn ch55 Rand vs Ishamael

Die, Lews Therin Kinslayer. Die, Rand al’Thor. It is time for you to die! I take your soul!”

As Ba’alzamon put forth his hand, Rand pushed himself up, threw himself desperately toward Callandor, still glittering and flashing in midair.
He did not know whether he could reach it, or touch it if he did, but he was sure it was his only chance.

Ba’alzamon’s blow struck him as he leapt, struck inside him, a ripping and crumpling, tearing something loose, trying to pull a part of him away.
Rand screamed. He felt as if he were collapsing like an empty sack, as if he were being turned inside out. The pain in his side, the wound taken at Falme, was almost welcome, something to hang onto, a reminder of life...
His hand closed convulsively. On Callandor’s hilt.

The One Power surged through him, a torrent greater than he could believe, from saidin into the sword.

The crystal blade shone brighter than even Moiraine’s fire had. It was impossible to look at, impossible any longer to see that it was a sword, only that light blazed in his fist.

He fought the flow, wrestled with
Page 574
the implacable tide that threatened to carry him, all that was really him, into the sword with it.

For a heartbeat that took centuries he hung, wavering, balanced on the brink of being scoured away like sand before a flash flood. With infinite slowness the balance firmed. It was still as though he stood barefoot on a razor’s edge above a bottomless drop, yet something told him this was the best that could be expected.

To channel this much of the Power, he must dance on that sharpness as he had danced the forms of the sword.
He turned to face Ba’alzamon. The tearing within him had ceased as soon as his hand touched Callandor. Only an instant had passed, yet it seemed to have lasted forever.
“You will not take my soul,” he shouted. “This time, I mean to finish it once and for all! I mean to finish it now!”

-------------

This leads me to believe that they, Belal and Ishamael, Wanted him to take
it because his soul could be taken by pulling it into the Sword That IS NOT a Sword. I think it is a cour'souvra.
And when 'he holds the blade of light and all that he is can be seized' the prophecy is referring to this.
Any thoughts or corrections?

Aan allein
11-21-2010, 10:25 PM
it because his soul could be taken by pulling it into the Sword That IS NOT a Sword. I think it is a cour'souvra.
And when 'he holds the blade of light and all that he is can be seized' the prophecy is referring to this.

I really like this idea, very original. Not sure if it will turn out, but I like it.

GonzoTheGreat
11-22-2010, 05:48 AM
It is a neat idea, but I think that there is a far simpler explanation: at the time, Rand did not yet know what he was doing, so his impressions of what was going on are not very trustworthy.

Davian93
11-22-2010, 08:15 AM
My reason for asking is the following.

The Dragon Reborn ch55 Rand vs Ishamael

Die, Lews Therin Kinslayer. Die, Rand al’Thor. It is time for you to die! I take your soul!”

As Ba’alzamon put forth his hand, Rand pushed himself up, threw himself desperately toward Callandor, still glittering and flashing in midair.
He did not know whether he could reach it, or touch it if he did, but he was sure it was his only chance.

Ba’alzamon’s blow struck him as he leapt, struck inside him, a ripping and crumpling, tearing something loose, trying to pull a part of him away.
Rand screamed. He felt as if he were collapsing like an empty sack, as if he were being turned inside out. The pain in his side, the wound taken at Falme, was almost welcome, something to hang onto, a reminder of life...
His hand closed convulsively. On Callandor’s hilt.

The One Power surged through him, a torrent greater than he could believe, from saidin into the sword.

The crystal blade shone brighter than even Moiraine’s fire had. It was impossible to look at, impossible any longer to see that it was a sword, only that light blazed in his fist.

He fought the flow, wrestled with
Page 574
the implacable tide that threatened to carry him, all that was really him, into the sword with it.

For a heartbeat that took centuries he hung, wavering, balanced on the brink of being scoured away like sand before a flash flood. With infinite slowness the balance firmed. It was still as though he stood barefoot on a razor’s edge above a bottomless drop, yet something told him this was the best that could be expected.

To channel this much of the Power, he must dance on that sharpness as he had danced the forms of the sword.
He turned to face Ba’alzamon. The tearing within him had ceased as soon as his hand touched Callandor. Only an instant had passed, yet it seemed to have lasted forever.
“You will not take my soul,” he shouted. “This time, I mean to finish it once and for all! I mean to finish it now!”

-------------

I think that's unique to Callandor though...part of its usefulness as both a weapon AND sa'angreal.

Edynol
11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I think for angreal and sa'angreal, yall are right because they magnify the power. But for ter'angreal you're using the power to activate them, if they even need to OP.

So I think for ter'angreal it is OP->channeler->ter'angreal->whatever-it-does. And if this is the way it works with angreal and ter'angreal, then it gives some wieght to my theory of Callandor being both a Sa' and ter'angreal, of a sorts.

GonzoTheGreat
11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
As someone else (I have no idea who) remarked on an earlier occasion when this theory (with somewhat different details, I think) was put forward: that would make Callandor a sater'angreal.

Edynol
11-22-2010, 11:44 AM
As someone else (I have no idea who) remarked on an earlier occasion when this theory (with somewhat different details, I think) was put forward: that would make Callandor a sater'angreal.

Was it me maybe? lol.