PDA

View Full Version : Smoke in Caemlyn or "smoke and mirrors"

Squocka
11-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Does it bother anyone else that North of Tar Valon on the Fields of Merrilor you can see smoke in Caemlyn - thats a bloody long way away.

From New spring we know TV is 400 leagues 1600 miles from the Tear Coast. Caemlyn is basically exactly half way between although a little West, so 800 miles.

800 miles from TV to Caemlyn or 1280 kilometres in my language.

Thats from Brisbane to Sydney. there is no possible way i could see Sydney on fire

In US terms thats from LA to Portland or New York to Nashville.

i am using the 1 league = 4 miles from this post
http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84503&postcount=22
as the basis as a league is different according to google

Did i mistake where the fields were. To make my point even more arn't the fields on the border of Sheinar which is even further north.

Maybe the smoke is an empty Tav Valon aflame as the sheinar border to Tar Valon would still be to far to see aflame but at least a lot closer than Caemlyn

Terez
11-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Does it bother anyone else that North of Tar Valon on the Fields of Merrilor you can see smoke in Caemlyn - thats a bloody long way away.
Where do you get this from?

ShadowbaneX
11-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Talmanes and a good portion of the Band are still outside Caemlyn waiting for Mat to return.

Squocka
11-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Oh hadn't hey gone to Merrilor too.

My bad must have been thinking to hard

gholam
11-22-2010, 03:00 AM

From New spring we know TV is 400 leagues 1600 miles from the Tear Coast. Caemlyn is basically exactly half way between although a little West, so 800 miles.

800 miles from TV to Caemlyn or 1280 kilometres in my language.

Thats from Brisbane to Sydney. there is no possible way i could see Sydney on fire

In US terms thats from LA to Portland or New York to Nashville.

i am using the 1 league = 4 miles from this post
http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84503&postcount=22
as the basis as a league is different according to google

Did i mistake where the fields were. To make my point even more arn't the fields on the border of Sheinar which is even further north.

Maybe the smoke is an empty Tav Valon aflame as the sheinar border to Tar Valon would still be to far to see aflame but at least a lot closer than Caemlyn

If it really matters.

A normal mile is about 5280 feet. The Randland mile is exactly 1000 feet. Each foot being 10 inches long, that comes to about 833 feet in our universe. One of our miles is equal to 6.33 Randland miles. so 400 leagues in randland is less than 100 miles in our world.

morat'corlm
11-22-2010, 03:30 AM
If it really matters.

A normal mile is about 5280 feet. The Randland mile is exactly 1000 feet. Each foot being 10 inches long, that comes to about 833 feet in our universe. One of our miles is equal to 6.33 Randland miles. so 400 leagues in randland is less than 100 miles in our world.

10 inches = 3 hands = 1 foot; 3 feet = 1 pace; 2 paces = 1 span; 1000 spans = 1 mile; 4 miles = 1 league.And consequently each Randland mile is 5000 real-feet long, or 95% of a real-mile.

400 leagues in Randland is 1515 miles in our world.

Davian93
11-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Shocking lapses in basic WoT knowledge displayed here.

gholam
11-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Whoa! Backup. I was half asleep when I posted my junk. I completely forgot about the spans.
It's not shocking lack of knowledge. It was a mistake

One Armed Gimp
11-22-2010, 10:17 AM
It was a mistake

Maybe not a shocking lack of knowledge, but definitely a shocking lack of research prior to posting.

Welcome to Theoryland!

GonzoTheGreat
11-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Whoa! Backup. I was half asleep when I posted my junk. I completely forgot about the spans.
It's not shocking lack of knowledge. It was a mistakeLearn from this: while posting while drunk is a great source of amusement (for the rest of the board), posting while half asleep is a big no-no.

Daekyras
11-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Learn from this: while posting while drunk is a great source of amusement (for the rest of the board), posting while half asleep is a big no-no.

*raises hand* whuhaha I'm drunk right now.

Caveatar
11-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Well gholam it looks like your only option now is Ritual Emasculation or something.
For punishment you could go be a warder to the Amyrlin.
Wait, that would amount to the same thing, only worse. :D

gholam
11-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Well gholam it looks like your only option now is Ritual Emasculation or something.
For punishment you could go be a warder to the Amyrlin.
Wait, that would amount to the same thing, only worse. :D

I am already flogging myself. I mostly humbly apologize. But you know, me thinks I am getting a bit mad ... you know ... dropping through this endless void since Mat pushed me through. As a penance I can do anything except saying 'Egween is not selfish and ignorant'.

Davian93
11-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Sorry...I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. I'm in massive pain this morning and its making me a bit grouchy.

GonzoTheGreat
11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I am already flogging myself. I mostly humbly apologize. But you know, me thinks I am getting a bit mad ... you know ... dropping through this endless void since Mat pushed me through. As a penance I can do anything except saying 'Egween is not selfish and ignorant'.I vow that I will speak no word that is "not", true.

Never before realised how awkward that Oath would be, really.

Caveatar
11-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Sorry...I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. I'm in massive pain this morning and its making me a bit grouchy.

Halima been giving you massages has she?

Or did Lanfear mistake you for Aviendha?

A trip to the Mistress of Novices?

Learn to embrace the pain like an Aiel or better yet take a painkiller. :D

Davian93
11-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Halima been giving you massages has she?

Or did Lanfear mistake you for Aviendha?

A trip to the Mistress of Novices?

Learn to embrace the pain like an Aiel or better yet take a painkiller. :D

I'm taking percocet for it...and its not working. Gotta try that "embrace the pain" thing at some point...though my co-workers might get distracted by the laughing and screaming.

Caveatar
11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm taking percocet for it...and its not working. Gotta try that "embrace the pain" thing at some point...though my co-workers might get distracted by the laughing and screaming.

You have my sympathy. No smiley face.

Davian93
11-22-2010, 12:17 PM
You have my sympathy. No smiley face.

Thanks...back injuries suck sometimes. The stupid part is I did it chopping wood (actually, I did it carrying the full trunk pieces from the back half of my property to the concrete pad next to my garage for splitting) and it was a little twinge at first so I just kept going. By the end, I was basically crippled. stupid stupid stupid. But I got that wood in damnit and its ready to burn as it was a dead tree that we felled so it was already seasoned. A white ash at that...really good firewood.

dominominic
11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks...back injuries suck sometimes. The stupid part is I did it chopping wood (actually, I did it carrying the full trunk pieces from the back half of my property to the concrete pad next to my garage for splitting) and it was a little twinge at first so I just kept going. By the end, I was basically crippled. stupid stupid stupid. But I got that wood in damnit and its ready to burn as it was a dead tree that we felled so it was already seasoned. A white ash at that...really good firewood.

I know how you feel - I've had two ruptured discs in my lower back for the last four years. My left leg is in shocking pain all the time and there tend to be several months every year when I can't bend enough to sit down at all. I've tried everything up to neural blockers and nothing works even a bit!

A guy I used to work with pulled a big rolling metal shutter down on my back before I'd gotten out from under it as we locked up our shop one night. It was well over a year after that before it started hurting though!

Davian93
11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
I know how you feel - I've had two ruptured discs in my lower back for the last four years. My left leg is in shocking pain all the time and there tend to be several months every year when I can't bend enough to sit down at all. I've tried everything up to neural blockers and nothing works even a bit!

A guy I used to work with pulled a big rolling metal shutter down on my back before I'd gotten out from under it as we locked up our shop one night. It was well over a year after that before it started hurting though!

Yeah, I have 3 desiccated/ruptured discs in my lower back...and nerve damage/pain all down my left leg/hip. Its not fun at times. Its pretty wicked right now. I'm going in after work to get an injection and more muscle relaxants. That should help a bit. As it stands, every odd movement causes all the muscles to start spasming and continue spasming until I can force them to relax...but its a cascading effect unfortunately.

dominominic
11-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I have 3 desiccated/ruptured discs in my lower back...and nerve damage/pain all down my left leg/hip. Its not fun at times. Its pretty wicked right now. I'm going in after work to get an injection and more muscle relaxants. That should help a bit. As it stands, every odd movement causes all the muscles to start spasming and continue spasming until I can force them to relax...but its a cascading effect unfortunately.

Yep, that's pretty much it, except you have one more dodgy disc than I(makes me think of the DO-prison seals!)

Sometimes when I step off the curb onto the street I get an unholy jolt of pain all up my left leg, sometimes enough to make me fall over.

You ever get that?

And sitting in cars? That position is misery on ruptured discs!

Davian93
11-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Yep, that's pretty much it, except you have one more dodgy disc than I(makes me think of the DO-prison seals!)

Sometimes when I step off the curb onto the street I get an unholy jolt of pain all up my left leg, sometimes enough to make me fall over.

You ever get that?

And sitting in cars? That position is misery on ruptured discs!

Oh yeah on the curb thing. Funny story, I stepped on a plastic hanger yesterday morning in my bathroom and it dropped me. I get that on stairs sometimes too and on any other non-level surfaces when its really acting up.

As for cars, go to any good back/orthopedics store and get a lumbar pillow. It will probably cost $20-30 but they are awesome. I used to get massive pain after about 20-30 min of driving. With the pillow (its one you sit on, not put behind you), I get drive for hours without too much issue.

Do you lose feeling in your left leg too when its really off? I get pins/needles up to my knee at times...it can be really annoying.

dominominic
11-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah on the curb thing. Funny story, I stepped on a plastic hanger yesterday morning in my bathroom and it dropped me. I get that on stairs sometimes too and on any other non-level surfaces when its really acting up.

As for cars, go to any good back/orthopedics store and get a lumbar pillow. It will probably cost $20-30 but they are awesome. I used to get massive pain after about 20-30 min of driving. With the pillow (its one you sit on, not put behind you), I get drive for hours without too much issue.

Do you lose feeling in your left leg too when its really off? I get pins/needles up to my knee at times...it can be really annoying.

No loss of feeling so far but pins and needles a lot.

The absolute worst is putting on socks in the morning although I'm impressed with some of the unnatural contortions I somehow pull off to get them on!

Jonai
11-22-2010, 01:54 PM
You poor dudes. Awww. I guess I should be thankful for the shape my body is currently in. I tore some ligaments or something in my ankle in college and its never been the same. ITB-Syndrome in the right knee, and a used my face to bend a steel steering wheel when I was 18, but other than that, in the clear! Back injuries are awful :(

gholam
11-22-2010, 08:23 PM
I know the pain. I broke my left hip and ignored Physical therapy during recuperation and the entire left leg is sometimes rendered useless. But I found something called trigger point therapy which has helped me eliminate all the muscle pain. Please do a search on trigger point therapy workbook and it should help muscle pain

Davian93
11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
I know the pain. I broke my left hip and ignored Physical therapy during recuperation and the entire left leg is sometimes rendered useless. But I found something called trigger point therapy which has helped me eliminate all the muscle pain. Please do a search on trigger point therapy workbook and it should help muscle pain

Broken hip?!? ouch...you should get with Bryan Blaire (another member), I think he had something similar.

gholam
11-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Broken hip?!? ouch...you should get with Bryan Blaire (another member), I think he had something similar.

The hips is healed now, but the muscles remember the fracture. They sometimes get so stiff, it gets difficult to even walk. But as I said, trigger point therapy has worked wonders and now my leg is almost pain free.