PDA

View Full Version : LoL moments in WoT

TheMindsEye
11-23-2010, 02:12 AM
So I was listening to Fires of Heaven again and just laughed aloud. I thought I'd share it, and ask you to share some of your lol WoT moments.

I only have this on audio, but luckily I found this very scene that just made me laugh online via Leigh Butler on her re-read via Tor.

Rand scowls and tells Sulin to let him by,

Sulin did not budge. “Far Dareis Mai carries the honor of the Car’a’carn,” she said calmly, and others took it up.

No louder, but from so many women’s voices it made a high rumble.

“Far Dareis Mai carries the honor of the Car’a’carn. Far Dareis Mai carries the honor of the Car’a’carn.”

Rand again demands to be let through, and the Maidens again start up their chant.

Lan leans over and remarks that a woman is no less a woman because she carries a spear, and he’d best give in unless he wants to be here all day arguing. Aviendha stops Egwene from commenting, but Rand knows she had been about to say he was being a foolish woolhead or some such, and he is beginning to feel like she might be right.

But how to back down and retain a scrap of dignity after blustering left, right and center? “I’ve decided I can do the most good from the tower,” he said, his face going hot.

“As the Car’a’carn commands,” Sulin replied without a hint of mockery, just as if it had been his idea from the first.

Specifically
But how to back down and retain a scrap of dignity after blustering left, right and center? “I’ve decided I can do the most good from the tower,” he said, his face going hot.

Hahah. RJ is an excellent writer.

morat'corlm
11-23-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure if I've ever laughed out loud, but there are plenty of funny moments, usually revolving around an ironic contrast between thought and reality. Mat's good for that, of course, but Nynaeve and Elayne probably have the bulk of them, particularly when they were together in TSR and TFOH. Perrin, Rand, and Egwene are pretty humorless. Actually, the minor characters get some of the funnier wordplay in their POVs.

Specific examples tend to get lost in memory in a series this size, but the funniest line I can remember from TOM was:
She was a pretty thing. Not as pretty as Tuon, of course. Elayne was far too pale, and too tall, and had too much hair.

Daekyras
11-23-2010, 04:00 AM
I think the funniest line in ToM is when Mat says to thom that he thinks tyhe band will miss hime but "at least they'll have those dragons to blow stuff up". Hilarious.

Thom is often hilarious. "The harp is not made for your fat, mud covered fingers" etc.

David Selig
11-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I was rereading TFOH and Nynaeve's thoughts made me laugh out loud quite a few times. her lack of self-awareness leads to many hilarious lines like this:
"Men always seemed to think violence could solve anything. If she had had a stout stick, she would have thumped all three of them about the shoulders until they saw reason."

Classic Nynaeve. :)

Thom has many great lines, too, like when he met Mat in TDR while Mat was still really hungry after his Healing. Thom had to leave him for a few minues and told him "You wait here ‑ and try not to eat the table".

Belazamon
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Out of context, it's robbed of much of its humour, but there's an exchange at a meeting of Sitters in ToM that made me laugh.

"What motion are we standing for?"
"An important one."
"Well, I suppose I'll stand for it, then."

Universum
11-23-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't really remember in what exact book it is, but.. Aviendha's first meeting with Atha'an Miere. The scene in itself is not necessarily that amusing, but I tried to picture it the way I would have done the scene in a moving picture format. It would be one of the few occasions ever, where it would be ok to hear people's thoughts in moving picture.

And it would be awesome.

jana
11-23-2010, 04:24 PM
"What motion are we standing for?"
"An important one."
"Well, I suppose I'll stand for it, then."

I loved that too.

Icarium
11-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Off with you, Joline. I need to write a letter to Her Royal bloody Majesty Queen Elayne the prim."
Joline sniffed. "Are you going to swear at her too?"
"Of course I am," Mat muttered, turning to go back to Thorn's tent.
"How else is she going to trust that it's really from me?"

Talmanes: "You are not a farmer anymore."
Mat: "I am too!"

"Good morrow, High Lord Weiramon, and all you other High Lords and Ladies. I'm a
gambler, a farmboy, and I'm here to take command of your bloody army! The bloody lord Dragon
Reborn will be with us as soon as he flaming takes care of one bloody little matter!"

"Now. When the poor blind fool they've chosen out for their Amyrlin gets here, I will do the talking. She can't be very bright, or they'd never have been able to shove her into the job. Amyrlin Seat for a bloody village in the middle of bloody nowhere."

Mat really makes me laugh a lot.

Spasmodean
11-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Saidar'ed it.

Basel Gill
11-23-2010, 05:14 PM
I need to write a letter to Her Royal bloody Majesty Queen Elayne the prim.

Davian93
11-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Saidar'ed it.

I did not care for that line actually...all the rest listed are gold...comic gold.

Though one of my favorite lines was from TGH (not funny but just an awesome line):

The Great Hunt
Ch. 34: The Wheel Weaves
"But, High Lord," Fain protested, "you must – " He found himself lying on his side, his head ringing. Only when his eyes cleared did he see the man with the pale braid rubbing his knuckles and realize what had happened.
"Some words," the fellow said softly, "are never used to the High Lord."
Fain decided how the man was going to die.

That line just sums up the pure awesomeness that Fain is.

Silvertip
11-23-2010, 05:27 PM
After Moiraine expresses astonishment that Mat has married the Empress of Seanchan:

"It was an accident."

It always is, Mat. It always is ...

Davian93
11-23-2010, 05:28 PM
After Moiraine expresses astonishment that Mat has married the Empress of Seanchan:

"It was an accident."

It always is, Mat. It always is ...

Wait till Mo hears about Mat being seduced by Tylin.

alleluia_cone
11-23-2010, 05:30 PM
I need to write a letter to Her Royal bloody Majesty Queen Elayne the prim.

This will get even funnier if Tuon completes the consolidation and Mat's position supersedes Elayne within the Empire.

jana
11-23-2010, 05:30 PM
“Don’t fight over me,” he said. Tugging his coat was not making anyone let go. “There’s enough to go around.”

Five sets of eyes made him wish he had kept his mouth shut. Aes Sedai had no sense of humor.

:D

David Selig
11-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Nynaeve explaining her black eye to Luca:

“I did not like the way it looked at me in the mirror this morning, so I bit it.”

Sukoto
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Saidar'ed it.

I thought Verin's reaction made this exchange funny. But even though it was funny, it was jarring. Mat's made-up word "saidar'ed" is a very common thing that English speakers do today. I didn't appreciate Brandon inserting such a trendy turn of phrase into the books when RJ had previously used a style that was distinctly and consistently different from modern-day colloquial English. It can be compared to writing a current English swear word somewhere in the books instead of "burn me" "blood and ashes" or "fish guts." It just didn't fit.

That said, I did LOL. I also "LOL'ed" ;) at "elaborate aliases and backstories" in tGS and the previosly mentioned "Are you going to swear at her, too?" exchange in ToM. All Mat, of course.

metaphor
11-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I don't remember the exact phrasing, but it's when the Wise Ones suddenly woke up Egwene, and she was still half asleep, and Aviendha started shouting her that they'll make her dig a hole with her teeth.
Egwene started protesting vehemently until Sorilea asked her what she'd done that she thought to deserve such a punishment.

also
"She's Aviendha, don't look at her cross-eyed or she'll try to kill you and slit her throath by mistake", or something along those lines.

tiredofbuttons
11-23-2010, 06:24 PM
I was rereading TFOH and Nynaeve's thoughts made me laugh out loud quite a few times. her lack of self-awareness leads to many hilarious lines like this:

Classic Nynaeve. :)

Thom has many great lines, too, like when he met Mat in TDR while Mat was still really hungry after his Healing. Thom had to leave him for a few minues and told him "You wait here ‑ and try not to eat the table".

I was going to say this. It makes me laugh every readthrough.

Spasmodean
11-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Too much Mat in this thread

"Rand al'Thor," Nynaeve said, folding her arms as he walked up to
them. "You are—"
"An idiot?" Rand finished, sounding amused. "An arrogant fool? An
impulsive, wool-headed boy in need of a sound ear-boxing?"
"Er. Yes."
"All true, Nynaeve," he said. "I see it, now. Perhaps I've finally gained a
portion of wisdom. I do think you need some new insults, however.

Jonai
11-23-2010, 06:32 PM
If we're talking about humorous scenes, one of my favorites is in aCoS, where El and Nyn come to "apologize" to Mat and they arrive with him passed out and a boot on the wash stand. Another priceless moment is in LoC with Mat divesting Egwene of her stole. A third would be tSR when Egwene provokes Rand, thinking she is at least as strong as him in the Power (after all she is the strongest Aes Sedai bar Nynaeve in 1000 years) and he shields both her and Elayne and handles 8 other flows without even breathing hard, and with absolutely no idea what he's doing.

I didn't find much funny in ToM. I think I prefer the humor of the older books more.

missbee
11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Chapter 34, where Mat is planning elaborate cover stories for the trip to Trustair was funny, but the line that got me was at the end -

"I guess there won't be a raid, "Talmanes said. He didn't sound sad.
Mandevwin fingered his eye patch. "Does this mean I can go back to my poor aged aunt?"

vertigo987
11-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I love the scene when Elayne is experimenting with the red ter'angreal. She awakens surrounded by concerned friends and Aes Sedai, but she can detect an undercurrent of hilarity. I also like when Birgitte says something like, "I'm going to get drunk enough to dance naked on the table and not a hair drunker" or something like that. Birgitte definitely has some funny moments. I also like when Elayne called Teslyn a summer ham.

Jonai
11-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I love the scene when Elayne is experimenting with the red ter'angreal. She awakens surrounded by concerned friends and Aes Sedai, but she can detect an undercurrent of hilarity. I also like when Birgitte says something like, "I'm going to get drunk enough to dance naked on the table and not a hair drunker" or something like that. Birgitte definitely has some funny moments. I also like when Elayne called Teslyn a summer ham.

That whole scene with Birgitte, Min, and Avi was hilarious. I can just picture them all getting hammered, while Rand is hammering Elayne. Good times.

Edynol
11-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Gah my friend is barrowing my book so I can't quote it, but the letter from Mat to Elayne is my favorite. Can anyone quote it?

Jonai
11-23-2010, 08:56 PM
The letter in aCoS or ToM?

"There's nothing but flies here and we can find plenty of those in Caemlyn..."

Edynol
11-23-2010, 08:57 PM
The letter in aCoS or ToM?

"There's nothing but flies here and we can find plenty of those in Caemlyn..."

ToM of ourse. :)

Caveatar
11-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Gah my friend is barrowing my book so I can't quote it, but the letter from Mat to Elayne is my favorite. Can anyone quote it?
pg183 TOM

Your Royal Bloody Pain in My Back,
We're bloody waiting here to talk to you, and we're getting angry perturbed. (That means angry.) Thom says that you're a queen now, but I figure that changes nothing, sense you acted like a queen all the time anyway. Don't forget that I carried halled your pretty little backside out of a hole in Tear, but you acted like a queen then, so I guess I don't know why I'm suprised now that you act like one when you really are a queen.
So I'm thinking I should treat you like a bloody Queen and send you a bloody letter and all, speaking with high talk and getting your attention. I even used my ring as a signet, like it was paper proper. So here is my formal salutation. So BLOODY STOP TURNING ME AWAY so we can talk. I need your bellfounders. It's bloody important.
—Mat
p.s. Salutation means greeting.
p.p.s. Don't mind the scratched out words and bad spellings. I was going to rewrite this letter, but Thom is laffing so hard at me that I want to be done.

p.p.s. Don't mind me calling your backside pretty. I hardly ever spent any time looking at it, as I've an awareness that you'd pull my eyes out if you saw me. Besides, I'm married now, so that all doesn't matter.

The crossouts didn't show up on the post. I can't find how to correct that.
angry, paper, and carried were strikethroughs.

Edynol
11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
pg183 TOM

Your Royal Bloody Pain in My Back,
We're bloody waiting here to talk to you, and we're getting angry perturbed. (That means angry.) Thom says that you're a queen now, but I figure that changes nothing, sense you acted like a queen all the time anyway. Don't forget that I carried halled your pretty little backside out of a hole in Tear, but you acted like a queen then, so I guess I don't know why I'm suprised now that you act like one when you really are a queen.
So I'm thinking I should treat you like a bloody Queen and send you a bloody letter and all, speaking with high talk and getting your attention. I even used my ring as a signet, like it was paper proper. So here is my formal salutation. So BLOODY STOP TURNING ME AWAY so we can talk. I need your bellfounders. It's bloody important.
—Mat
p.s. Salutation means greeting.
p.p.s. Don't mind the scratched out words and bad spellings. I was going to rewrite this letter, but Thom is laffing so hard at me that I want to be done.

p.p.s. Don't mind me calling your backside pretty. I hardly ever spent any time looking at it, as I've an awareness that you'd pull my eyes out if you saw me. Besides, I'm married now, so that all doesn't matter.

YES! Thanks! lol.:D

Caveatar
11-23-2010, 09:44 PM
YES! Thanks! lol.:D

You gotta love the etext. Cut/paste beats hell out of typing. :D

jana
11-23-2010, 09:45 PM
This is one of the best moments of the series to me... it's just classic RJ. Not in your face funny. (Wow, this is one gigantic set of quotes)

Some might consider The Flame, the Blade and the Heart unseemly for one of her attainments and position—as a girl in Far Madding, she had been forbidden such books—but it made an agreeable change from dry histories and terrifying reports of food spoilage.
"Of course. Nisao." Romanda casually closed the book and eased up to tuck it beneath the yellow-tasseled cushion on her chair. It would never do to have word get around that she was reading that.
She shifted on the seat cushion.
Romanda snorted, shifting again. The book's wooden cover was a hard lump beneath her, its corners digging into her hip.
"That is reason enough for you, Nisao?" She could hardly slip the book back out without the other woman noticing. She shifted again, but there was no comfortable position on the thing. She was going to have a bruise if this continued.

Standing on the pretext of straightening her deep yellow skirts, she drew the book from beneath the cushion as she sat back down and tried to drop it surreptitiously. It hit the carpet with a thud, and Nisao's eyebrows twitched. Romanda ignored that, pulling the book under the edge of the table with her foot.

Gathering her yellow-fringed shawl from atop one of the chests holding her clothing, she arranged it over her arms and checked her hair in the cracked mirror before herding the others outside and seeing them on their way. It was not so much that she thought Nisao would have looked for what had made that thud if left in the tent alone, but it was better to take no chances. Aelmara would replace the book where it belonged, with several similar volumes in the chest that held Romanda's personal possessions. That had a very stout lock with only two keys, one kept in her belt pouch, the other in Aelmara's.

Jonai
11-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Sometimes it seemed like every Aes Sedai was reading that romance novel, and pretending not to. lol

jana
11-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Sometimes it seemed like every Aes Sedai was reading that romance novel, and pretending not to. lol

I hope this is what the cover looks like
http://www.trashotron.com/agony/images/2004/04-news/11-22-04/drake-romance.jpg

Terez
11-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Dammit, need to spread it around.

I also loved the bit with Romanda. I loved that entire POV, because it went a long way to making your standard run-of-the-mill traditional Aes Sedai (read: annoying as fuck) into someone likable. It started with the book, and ended with her kickassery at the end of the chapter.

Also, Elayne's veil. Nynaeve admitting to herself in LOC that she was wrong about something. Rand and Dashiva in TPOD. RJ's humor is far from slapstick. I love it.

Caveatar
11-23-2010, 09:55 PM
This is one of the best moments of the series to me... it's just classic RJ. Not in your face funny.

Some might consider The Flame, the Blade and the Heart unseemly for one of her attainments and position— as a girl in Far Madding, she had been forbidden such books—but it made an agreeable change from dry histories and terrifying reports of food spoilage.

I suppose
The Flame = Aes Sedai
The Blade = Warder
The Heart =? Heartleaf Tea? :)

jana
11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Yay, Nynaeve.

“No need to shriek like a cat,” Nynaeve growled, appearing in the stairwell. She was looking back over her shoulder down the stairs, though. “You hold her tight, you hear me?” she shrieked like a cat.

Terez
11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Nynaeve explaining her black eye to Luca:
Even funnier was how Nynaeve reacted to his flirting. Same with Galad.

jana
11-23-2010, 10:00 PM
I miss Mat and Tuon being together... *sniffle*
I could probably quote every moment of them together :P

“I’ve changed my mind, Toy,” she murmured, placing the white stone carefully on the intersection of two lines near the center of the board. “You play very well.”

“We will need that,” Selucia said deferentially, slipping the bulbous pot out of Tuon’s hands. Setting it carefully to one side, she crouched at Tuon’s feet almost as if ready to hurl herself at Mat, laughable as that was. Though nothing much seemed laughable right then.

Mistress Anan reached up to one of the railed shelves above her head and handed Tuon another cup. “We have plenty of these,” she murmured.

Terez
11-23-2010, 10:02 PM
"I want them to stop annoying me, Toy."

jana
11-23-2010, 10:06 PM
I hope we get to see more of her playfulness... but that will only happen if she's alone with Mat again, which seems doubtful. Unless we get the outriggers.

Okay, last one.

"A mercy she did not deserve, but I see no point to needless suffering. I won, Toy."

"You won? What are you talking about?"

"You used my name before I used yours, so I won."

Terez
11-23-2010, 10:09 PM
“Seems to me being ta’veren works on me as much as it does on anybody else.” For a moment, he thought she was going to rap him again. He gave her his best smile. “One more kiss before you leave?”

“I’m not in the mood at the moment.” she said coolly. That hanging magistrate was back. All prisoners to be condemned immediately.

Caveatar
11-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Mat didn't look back. "Not my fault, Talmanes. How was I to know that staying would cause them all to start tearing each other's throats out?"
"What?" Talmanes asked, glancing at him. "Isn't this usually how people react when you tell them you're going to spend the night?"
Mat rolled his eyes, but didn't feel much like laughing as he led the group out of the village.
431 NIGHT IN HINDERSTAP

Flinn Sedai
11-23-2010, 11:55 PM
*sigh* I wanted to put the entire scene with Mat giving out the backstories, but it's too long, so I'll just take some excerpts.

"But I don't want to leave me great-aunt," Mandevwin protested. "She's cared for me since I was a child! It's not honest of a man to abandon an elderly woman just because she gets a little confused."
"There is not great-aunt," Mat said with exasperation. "This is just a legend, a story to go with your false name."

"What about me?" Talmanes asked. That twinkle to his eyes was back, though he spoke with a completely earnest voice. "Let me guess, Mat. I'm a traveling merchant who once trained with the Aiel and who has come to the village because he's heard there's a trout that lives in the lake who insulted his father."
"Nonsense," Mat said, handing him the sheets. "You're a Warder."

"Of course, you didn't tell him that they simply vanished," Thom added. "And that there was no way for him to keep it from happening."
"Didn't see the point of telling him," Mat said. "No use dwelling on the past, I say."

Mat regarded him with a flat expression. "You're not taking this seriously."
"What did you ask? Is there someone who is taking this seriously?"

Every time I read that last one, I can't help but laugh.

The Mardy Asha'man
11-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Its too long to post but the exchange between Mat and Talmanes in Ch20 tGS cracked me up. I love Talmanes' dry wit :)

morat'corlm
11-24-2010, 04:01 AM
"Men always seemed to think violence could solve anything. If she had had a stout stick, she would have thumped all three of them about the shoulders until they saw reason."“I did not like the way it looked at me in the mirror this morning, so I bit it.” Yes, these were exactly the ones I was thinking of. And the entire chapter "The Wheel Weaves". Nynaeve is hilarious in TFOH.

skaywalker
11-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Mat has so many funny moments that I cannot post them all, but I like them all.

But one of my favorites is when Nynaeve listens to Rand and his 3 girls in Caemlyn. That scene was just precious. Hers and Lan's reactions were just hilarious.

Fain Jarstrider
11-24-2010, 05:31 AM
I loved Rands joke about the farmer and the rooster and the way the maidens disassembled it afterwards.

The wise one story about the Aiel who's mother in law was demanding to be made gai'shain was hilarious too.

padfoot89
11-24-2010, 06:23 AM
1) Mat telling Talmanes in Hinderstap while fighting the villagers that he can't "rightly be blamed for their unsociable behaviour".

2) I liked his monologue about being prepared before he told his plans to take Trustair.
"Next thing he knew the daisies would be ganging up to try and eat him" and then he thought of the peddler vanishing in that meadow.

3) The scene right after Tylin slept with him.

Daekyras
11-24-2010, 08:04 AM
1) Mat telling Talmanes in Hinderstap while fighting the villagers that he can't "rightly be blamed for their unsociable behaviour".

2) I liked his monologue about being prepared before he told his plans to take Trustair.
"Next thing he knew the daisies would be ganging up to try and eat him" and then he thought of the peddler vanishing in that meadow.

3) The scene right after Tylin Raped him.

Edited for accuracy.

subwoofer
11-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Spasmodean"Rand al'Thor," Nynaeve said, folding her arms as he walked up to
them. "You are—"
"An idiot?" Rand finished, sounding amused. "An arrogant fool? An
impulsive, wool-headed boy in need of a sound ear-boxing?"
"Er. Yes."

heh. I gotta look up the quote but it was where Thom and Mat are around a fire and Mat is playing around with a firework and Thom just about has a stroke as he thinks Mat is going to kill them both. Something to the tune of "I'm not shaking with fear, I'm shaking with rage that this idiot hasn't killed us both". Gotta find the book that was in. :)

subwoofer
11-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Right then Chapter 44 The Dragon Reborn:
“I am not afraid, you mud-footed swineherd,” Thom said with elaborate dignity. “I am shaking with rage because I’m travelling with a goat-brained lout who might kill the pair of us because he cannot think past his own—“

LOL:D

Marie Curie 7
11-24-2010, 02:09 PM
A funny scene that I've always liked is when Lan throws Moiraine into the pond in New Spring, and then she dumps the nearly entire pond on him with the One Power. :)

TITLE: New Spring
CHAPTER: 19 - Pond Water

All the anger she had tamped down flared up. The man threw her into an icy pond, he did not apologize, he . . . ! She channeled, Air and Water weaving with a touch of Earth. A thick cylinder of water rose from the surface of the pond, stretching up and up in the moonlight, arching over. Crashing down on the fool who was so free with his tongue!

Splattered, Bukama and Ryne bounded to their feet with oaths, but she continued the torrent for a count of ten before letting it end. Freed water splashed down across the campsite. She expected to see a sodden, half-frozen man ready to learn proper respect. He was dripping wet, a few small fish flopping around his feet. He was standing on his feet. With his sword out.

"Shadowspawn?" Ryne said in a disbelieving tone, and atop him, Lan said, "Maybe! I've never heard the like, though. Guard the woman, Ryne! Bukama, take west and circle south; I'll take east and circle north!"

I love the fish flopping around at his feet...

Terez
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
I also liked the little things she did to him on the ride to Canluum.

She allowed him his days to reflect, while she planned what she would do to him that night. The ants had been a great disappointment. That was one of the Blue Ajah secrets, a way to repel insects or make them gather and bite or sting, though not intended for the use she had put it to. But she was quite proud of the blisterleaf, which at least made him jump a bit, proving that he really was made of human flesh. She had begun to doubt that.

Also

She straightened angrily just as Ryne snapped off the feathered end of the arrow jutting from Lan's back. Bukama was knotting a narrow strip of rawhide behind the arrowhead. Once he had it tight, he gripped the cord in his fist and gave one quick yank, pulling the arrow the rest of the way through. Lan blinked. The man had an arrow pulled out of his body, and he blinked! Why that should irritate her, she did not know, but it surely did.

Toss the dice
11-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Of course, most anything Mat will be funny, and he easily has the lion-share of lol moments. I'll add a couple random ones I haven't read in the thread yet.

-When Rand, Mat and the Aiel gather onto the traveling platform in TFoH to go kill Rahvin. Mat looks at the darkness and says something like "Bloody ashes, this is flaming worse than the flaming Ways!" Asmodean gives him a startled look and Rhuarc gives him a considering one, but Mat is too busy staring disgustedly at the blackness around him.

-The morning when Mat, Elayne, Nynaeve and company arrive in Ebou Dar. Mat wakes up with drummers pounding away in his head and tongue coated in feathers (hungover) and gets accosted by Elayne wanting to lecture him, while he's still trying to figure out how he's going to heave himself up onto Pips. Another funny moment, mostly how its said and described is in TFoH when Mat gets knocked off his horse during the Couladin battle. Something like "With the battle raging all around him, he was laying about him with his sword-bladed spear and trying to make his way back to Pips." Just a funny pov I think, the way Mat thinks of that moment. In truth, those two moments above with his horse are good examples of the way Mat thinks all the time. Most men would not remember that Couladin battle the way Mat did. It's hard to explain, but Mat just has a different perspective on things, the way he remembers them, and seemingly what the important and desperate parts are.

-"The Light burn me!" Thom roared, leaping to his feet. -- When Thom notices Mat cutting open the firework in TDR. I think that's a great, hilarious moment. Just the two of them, Mat and Thom, together again and sitting around a fire taking their ease - Thom tuning his harp and Mat carefully and stealthily slitting one of the firework tubes with his knife. A great alluding to this moment was in ToM when Mat, Thom, and Noal were in the inn next to the fireplace showing what they had found for the ToG. Mat sets a full bag of nightflowers at his feet. Thom realizes whats in the bag and says something like, "Well at least move them away from the hearth!" Then he looks at his glowing pipe and curses, scooting his chair back a few inches.

In TGH, when Verin and company finally find Rand in Cairhien and they all go to the inn. Verin asks Rand how he got so far ahead of them, musing that he would almost had to have flown. Perrin hears a cracking sound, and turns to see that Mat had dropped one of his eggs on the floor, stiff and staring at Rand wide-eyed.

In Tom, from Elayne's pov at the dragon demonstration. With her binoculars, she looks across at the working dragon. "He was looking in the thing, right down the tube." I can just see Mat with his head stuck in there looking in the tube, uncaring of any potential danger, at least from Elayne's view.

subwoofer
11-24-2010, 10:47 PM
I'll add a couple random ones I haven't read in the thread yet.

-"The Light burn me!" Thom roared, leaping to his feet. -- When Thom notices Mat cutting open the firework in TDR. I think that's a great, hilarious moment. Just the two of them, Mat and Thom, together again and sitting around a fire taking their ease - Thom tuning his harp and Mat carefully and stealthily slitting one of the firework tubes with his knife.

Hi:) Er... if you just peruse my posts ^^^above, I kinda mighta mentioned said event;)

morat'corlm
11-25-2010, 03:33 AM
(After an identical question from Elayne, and an interlude)
“Is Rand well?”

Egwene’s mouth tightened. He should wear ram’s horns like a Trolloc, she thought angrily.I smiled.

SixPips
11-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I enjoy all the lines with Suane talking about horses trying to kill her like savage beasts, even Bella :D

as an afterthought; I love the fact that the lead character in Twilight has the same name as a donkey in The Wheel Of Time. I would say they have equal importance in the stories too, but that would be a severe slandering of a good animal :cool:

Belazamon
11-26-2010, 01:35 AM
a donkey in The Wheel Of Time
Donkey? DONKEY?!

~belafires you~ :mad:

Daekyras
11-26-2010, 03:50 AM
Donkey? DONKEY?!

~belafires you~ :mad:

Funnily enough, your avatar is doing the dance I would do if I had just balefired an enemy.

Look at it and imagine it's bela saying "Booyaka, yaka, yaka, yaka,yaka.....shah!" It really works. :)

Jonai
11-26-2010, 04:05 AM
Black Mage looks like he's about to do a HADOKEN. lol

googly
11-26-2010, 01:16 PM
An old favourite from ACoS, chapter 23:

"Sounds like a huge frog being stepped on floated out; Nynaeve decided it was a man singing."

finn
11-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't really remember in what exact book it is, but.. Aviendha's first meeting with Atha'an Miere.One of my favorite POVs in all the books. Elayne attempts to alleviate her discomfort in all that water by sharing it and Aviendha thinks her near-sister has "a fine delicacy". She also bursts out laughing at Nynaeve's joke at her own expense, that only a ninny threatens people (she did just that moments ago). Another is her recollection of an incident with Amys and Bair where they ROFL at her for saying she was ill because it felt like Rand carried a part of her. Nynaeve's POVs are usually awesome too.

I totally love the Aiel humor and have from the very start. Since the first introduction to ji'e'toh with the mother-in-law story, the witticisms about the Maidens(love the one about handtalk) and their comebacks, Bain and Chiad's banter with Gaul(touching him while armed, sharpening his spears), Gaul's comment about Perrin's breakfast "celebration"(a mighty victory), etc.

But one of my favorites is when Nynaeve listens to Rand and his 3 girls in Caemlyn. That scene was just precious. Hers and Lan's reactions were just hilarious.
Yeah, especially Lan's. Because Rand and him were just discussing how weak they were, not being able to resist the women. In Lan's case it was just Nynaeve. So Rand outed with his three was a real hoot. Lan could not have seen that coming and he seldom reacts to anything.

Some great Mat bits were listed here so I won't get into those.

David Selig
11-26-2010, 03:07 PM
“Schemes within schemes,” Melaine murmured. “The Great Serpent is a good sign for you Aes Sedai, I think. Someday you may swallow yourselves by accident.”

Caveatar
11-26-2010, 09:03 PM
"Where are you going?"
"I saw a woman who tried to kill me," Mat said over his shoulder.
"Give her a trinket next time," Nalesean shouted after him.

greebo
11-27-2010, 06:51 AM
ok, first- this is one of the GREATEST threads ever, so thank you for the reminescence (however that's spelled).
Second- I loved the scene where Mat's manservant (Lopin?) is stitching him up and Mat protests that he is not a side of beef. To this Lopin replies, "As my lord says, he is not a side of beef" with absolutely no inflection while he continues sewing away. Talk about a minor character that offered a lot of comic relief :)

Toss the dice
11-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi:) Er... if you just peruse my posts ^^^above, I kinda mighta mentioned said event;)

Didn't read it. Go back about a month and you'll find I mentioned it then, if not earlier.

Toss the dice
11-28-2010, 04:39 PM
ok, first- this is one of the GREATEST threads ever, so thank you for the reminescence (however that's spelled).
Second- I loved the scene where Mat's manservant (Lopin?) is stitching him up and Mat protests that he is not a side of beef. To this Lopin replies, "As my lord says, he is not a side of beef" with absolutely no inflection while he continues sewing away. Talk about a minor character that offered a lot of comic relief :)

That was Nerim, Talmanes manservant.

Glen
11-28-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't have the book with me right now, so I'll have to just give a description of this.

Am I the only one that found it hilarious, in the scene where Elayne is reunited with her Mother, when Galad removes his cloak to reveal his Whitecloak underneath?

Elayne says something along the lines of "Oh right. I forgot about that. Intentionally."

I can just picture the look on her face, the tone of her voice, the overall attitude as she said it. It makes me chuckle.

Musenge_09
11-28-2010, 11:37 PM
I liked this moment in ToM:

He nodded to each of them, then helped Min to her feet. "Tomorrow, I meet the monarchs of the world. After that, I am going to go to Shayol Ghul and break the remaining seals on the Dark One's prison. Good day."
Cadsuane didn't rise. She sat, sipping her tea. The four seemed astounded. Well, the boy certainly had picked up an understanding of the dramatic.

I'm not normally a big fan of Cadsuane, but I like her understatement here.

yasiru89
11-28-2010, 11:53 PM
ToM was humorous, perhaps even more than what the Mat bits did for tGS, but I think that helped make it eerie with the stuff at the end.

ShadowLord
11-29-2010, 12:19 AM
"I'm fond of the horse".

Also Mat's letter to Elayne. That was pure sarcasm which a lot of people didn't seem to get.

Most awesome? Perrin forging the hammer. That was fantastic writing. Read it again. The only thing I can think of that could have made it better would have been a few paragraph POV's mixed in from some of those watching.

jana
11-30-2010, 11:30 PM
This is another subtle one that I love.

Min grimaced, partly because she was growing tired of Siuan’s Tairen fisherman’s sayings, and partly because the other woman was right. So far they had outrun awkward news—deadly was a better word than awkward—but some news had a way of leaping a hundred miles in a day. Siuan had been traveling as Mara, Leane as Amaena, and Logain had taken the name Dalyn, after Siuan convinced him Guaire was a fool’s choice.

Toss the dice
12-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah, that "after she convinced him Guaire was a fool's choice" is hilarious. I can see Logain coming up with names, then settling on Guaire. Siuan just shaking her head and sighing, then talking him out of it.

I can't determine whether it would be funnier if Logain picked it knowing the significance of the name, or had no clue.

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Considering the fact that one of the jobs Logain had tried his hands on was "false dragon", I think that he did know. Especially combined with the fact that as a nobleman he had had some actual education.

Toss the dice
12-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Considering the fact that one of the jobs Logain had tried his hands on was "false dragon", I think that he did know. Especially combined with the fact that as a nobleman he had had some actual education.

Lol Gonzo I get your incredulity on the notion that Logain might not know that Guaire Amalasan was a false dragon.

But remember, the name Guaire Amalasan was not a very well known name, probably even for a lesser noble. Aes Sedai would know the name, certainly, and at least people of authority in Far Madding would, but virtually none of the world's commoners or those without considerable education would know it. Remember when Siuan summons Rand in TGH? She says something like "Who told you those names?" when he brings Guaire's name up, among other obscure false dragons from the past.

Did Logain know the significance of the name Guaire, in relation to himself? I don't know. It could go either way imo. We aren't told enough from the books to confirm it either way, and Logain's former station in life (lesser nobility) just coincidentally happens to be one where it could go either way as well. Or he could have learned of the name from someone after he found out he could channel. Or he simply could have had a boyhood friend named Guaire, or an uncle, or a neighbor.

morat'corlm
12-01-2010, 08:20 PM
No, I don't think so. Guaire was the most infamous of all the false Dragons, both in terms of territory conquered and because he ties into the Artur Hawkwing mythos.

Rand doesn't know the name, along with that of Raolin Darksbane and the other false Dragons (who were probably on the level of Logain himself in terms of notoriety) but Thom does, as do nobles brought to hear Logain's story in Salidar, and Pedron Niall. Guaire is a very significant historical figure. It would be like Hitler escaping the fall of Berlin and going on the run using the pseudonym "Napoleon".

Bladesoar
12-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Most of my favorite ones have already been put on here. I just want to add my own preference. I love the Mat jokes and the Talmanes jokes the best although there are a bunch of other's that actually make me laugh. Mat's letter to Elayne had me cracking up at like 3 in the morning when I was reading it.. haha. My eyes starting tearing from that. Good stuff.

Lupusdeusest
12-02-2010, 12:48 AM
"A horse's head spun lazily through the air." - always kills me. (KoD?)

When Nyn meets Mas in (TFoH?), about Rand's first words of wisdom.
"And as for words of wisdom, the first she had heard out of him had been a fervent promise never to throw a rock at anyone again, offered after she had paddled his young backside for it. "

morat'corlm
12-02-2010, 02:01 AM
"A horse's head spun lazily through the air." - always kills me. (KoD?

“At a walk!” Guybon shouted, to be heard over the explosions. All along the line, other voices echoed him. “Advance!” Wheeling his bay, he rode slowly toward the Darkfriend Aes Sedai while lightning boomed and crashed and men and horses flew in fountains of earth.

“What did you want me to see?” Chanelle demanded again. “I want to be away from this place.” Small danger of that for the moment. Men were still coming out of the gateway, galloping or running to catch up. Fireballs fell among the ranks, too, now, adding their own eruptions of dirt, arms, legs. A horse’s head spun lazily into the air.

“This,” Birgitte said, gesturing to the scene in front of them. Guybon had begun to trot, pulling the others with him, the three ranks holding steady in their advance, others coming as hard as they could to join them. Abruptly a leg-thick bar of what appear to be liquid white fire shot out from one of the women beside the wagon. It quite literally carved a gap fifteen paces wide in the lines. For a heartbeat, shimmering flecks floated in the air, the shapes of men and horses struck, and then were consumed.Yeah, it's wittily appropriate in Jordan's way of describing the confusion of battle, but an "LOL moment"? :confused:

Servus Christi
12-02-2010, 02:23 AM
"Where are you going?"
"I saw a woman who tried to kill me," Mat said over his shoulder.
"Give her a trinket next time," Nalesean shouted after him.

I think the really funny thing about this one is that Nalesean thought it the most natural thing in the world that a woman would try and kill Mat :p!

Aah Nalesean.. he should have stayed in bed.

Daekyras
12-02-2010, 05:21 AM
Aah Nalesean.. he should have stayed in bed.

I loved Nalesean. What a brilliant little side character.

The Immortal One
12-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Most of my favorite ones have already been put on here. I just want to add my own preference. I love the Mat jokes and the Talmanes jokes the best although there are a bunch of other's that actually make me laugh.

Yes, most of my favourites have already been mentioned.

It's been hilarious recently from Mat's PoV where he realises that Talmanes, rather than lacking any sense of humour, that he has a very dry wit; where Mat realises that, though Talmanes keeps a straight face, he seems to be laughing inside.

morat'corlm
12-03-2010, 05:27 AM
“Egwene al’Vere is the one, Aes Sedai,” Talmanes said politely. The man was always polite to Aes Sedai. “And she is no runaway. She is the Amyrlin Seat, my word on it.” Edesina made a sound that would have been called a squeak coming from anyone but an Aes Sedai.

morat'corlm
12-03-2010, 05:30 AM
And the sequence starting "Toy set a fast pace through the forest"... is quite amusing.

She had not come all this way to be killed by a cow.

“Thank you,” she told him politely. “I think I’ve heard enough.” Ta’veren. Ridiculous. These people and their endless superstitions! A small brown bird, surely a finch, flew out of a tall oak and circled widdershins three times above Toy’s head before flying on. She had found her omen. Stay close to Toy. Not that she had any intention of doing otherwise. She had given her word, playing the game as it had to be played, and she had never broken her word in her life.

jana
12-03-2010, 06:20 AM
[/i]Ta’veren. Ridiculous. These people and their endless superstitions![i] A small brown bird, surely a finch, flew out of a tall oak and circled widdershins three times above Toy’s head before flying on. She had found her omen. Stay close to Toy.

Ah, ya. Probably my favorite line in KoD.

Also, "Bloody Matrim Cauthon is my husband. That is the wording you used, is it not?"

Nei
12-04-2010, 02:36 AM
"I try my best," he noted, reaching for the pitcher of mulled cider. "To be unconventional, I mean." He poured a cup and lifted it in her direction. She accepted graciously and drank, then stood...

...She turned to leave. Mat waited until she was gone before taking a slurp of the cider straight from the pitcher. He had been doing that all evening, but he figured she would probably rather not know. It was the sort of thing women were better off not thinking about.

Oneirist
12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
I always found that scene where Mat first meets Tuon hilarious, where the dice stop and he expects a Forsaken to jump out of the fireplace, and Semirhage's standing right there.

sythmaster
12-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Aside from all of the Mat stuff, I do recall one scene when Siuan is trying to find the location of Salidar from one of the Blue's Eyes-and-Ears in an Inn.

That scene made me chuckle as did a few others when Siuan was figuring out she wasn't the Amrylin anymore. Also the part when they left Bryne's village and Logain makes the offhanded comment that he threw a rock at the wagondriver's head. (i think that's what happened. Don't have access to the books right now)

David Selig
12-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Sea Folk woman talking to Aviendha:

“I have read of the Aiel. If it pleases you, tell me, if an Aiel woman must kill a man every day, how are there any men left among you?”

Uno to Nynaeve:

“Oh, I do remember you. The one with the fla—the mouth. Ragan thought you could skin and butcher a blo—a bull at ten paces with your tongue. Chaena and Nangu thought fifty.”

yasiru89
12-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Aside from all of the Mat stuff, I do recall one scene when Siuan is trying to find the location of Salidar from one of the Blue's Eyes-and-Ears in an Inn.

That scene made me chuckle as did a few others when Siuan was figuring out she wasn't the Amrylin anymore. Also the part when they left Bryne's village and Logain makes the offhanded comment that he threw a rock at the wagondriver's head. (i think that's what happened. Don't have access to the books right now)
Oh yes, that red-haired woman's interactions with Siuan had me cracking up.

morat'corlm
12-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Aah Nalesean.. he should have stayed in bed.Speaking of staying in bed:
Moghedien had spent the night hiding under her bed, untouched and, because she was well hidden, without picking up one single stick of rubbish. She had even gotten a good night’s sleep once the first commotion died down.
Moghedien never ceases being awesome.

csarmi
12-07-2010, 04:22 PM
"The answers are there," Mat said. "Thom, you're with me. Talmanes, watch the women."

"We have little need of being 'watched," Matrim," Joline said grumpily.

"Fine," he snapped. "Thom, you're with me. Joline, you watch the soldiers [...]"

Juan
12-07-2010, 06:23 PM
"The answers are there," Mat said. "Thom, you're with me. Talmanes, watch the women."

"Fine," he snapped. "Thom, you're with me. Joline, you watch the soldiers [...]"

ahahahah I had forgotten about that. That's a good one. As said before, I still have to say the one that me laugh the most was the letter from Mat to Elayne. That's just plain hilarious.

subwoofer
12-08-2010, 02:13 PM

I am assuming that is in tGS- er... which chapter exactly?

subwoofer
12-08-2010, 02:20 PM
"Bad news my Lord?" Mistress Anan asked.

Mat stuffed the note into his pocket. "Does any man ever get to understand women? I don't just mean Aes Sedai. Any women."

Jasfer roared, and when his wife directed a meaning gaze his way, he only laughed harder. The look she gave Mat would have shamed an Aes Sedai for its perfect serenity. "Men have it quite easy, my Lord, if they only looked or listened. Women have the difficult task. We must try to understand men." Jasfer took hold of the doorframe, tears rolling down his dark face. She eyed him sideways, tilted her head, then turned, all cool calmness- and punched him under the ribs with her fist so hard that his knees buckled. His laughter took on a wheeze without stopping. " There is a saying in Ebou Dar, my Lord," she said to Mat over her shoulder. "'A man is a maze of brambles in darkness, and even he does not know the way.'"

Mat snorted. Fat lot of help she was.

One of my favorite Mat moments.

Toss the dice
12-08-2010, 02:21 PM
I am assuming that is in tGS- er... which chapter exactly?

Don't know what chapter. It's when Mat and Thom are sitting on the rock outside Hinderstap, the night/early morning of their escape and Mat can't sleep. Fen curses because the serving girls are gone and Mat asks if he dozed off. Mat finally decides the answers are there (Hinderstap) and decides he is going down into town.

"Thom, you're with me. Talmanes, watch the women."

subwoofer
12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Joline wore only an enveloping white dressing robe, her pretty face calm, her dark hair slick and wet and hanging down over the front of her right shoulder. The robe was parted slightly at the top, giving a hint of what hid inside. Talmanes whistled softly.

"She's not a woman, Talmanes," Mat whispered warningly. "She's an Aes Sedai. Don't think of her as a woman."

"I'm trying , Mat,"Talmanes said. "But it's hard." He hesitated, then added, "Burn me."

"Be careful or she will," Mat said, tugging his hat down slightly in the front. "In fact, she nearly did that just a moment ago."

ahhhh memories:)

Edit- @Toss the dice- thanks:) found it.

yasiru89
12-08-2010, 10:24 PM
For whatever reason the sentence that went 'Moiraine's entry was more spectacular this time...' or something along those lines when she got to Rand who'd gone to check on Mat in FoH conjured up a hilarious image in my mind.

morat'corlm
12-13-2010, 02:06 PM
There is a woman named Nynaeve al’Meara.” Liandrin’s head came up, and Moghedien’s dark eyes sharpened. “You know of her?”

“I despise her,” Liandrin replied truthfully. “She is a filthy wilder who ought never to have been allowed in the Tower.” She loathed all wilders. Dreaming of being Black Ajah, she herself had begun learning to channel a full year before going to the Tower, but she was in no way a wilder.The beginning of this chapter, with "the ludicrous fashions of this ludicrous land," is mildly funny too.

jana
12-13-2010, 02:23 PM
For whatever reason the sentence that went 'Moiraine's entry was more spectacular this time...' or something along those lines when she got to Rand who'd gone to check on Mat in FoH conjured up a hilarious image in my mind.

I loved that too. Any time Moiraine is ruffled makes for a funny scene. She unravels a little more every book :)

Toss the dice
12-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Luca has some funny moments. My favorite has to be the time he put on a show for a few surrounding villages, and was forced to give free entrance to the leaders of the village and their families. Then he told Mat something along the lines of, "Thieves and scoundrels, Cauthon. Farmers are all a bunch of thieves and scoundrels, and an honest man like me is at their mercy."

Another awesome Luca moment was when he first met Elayne and Nynaeve and bent down close to Elayne and whispered, "Be still, my heart."

Another was his ridiculously grand spiel on why they should press on to Lugard, after witnessing the vanishing village. That whole thing is hilarious, but a few gems stand out. I liked how he started off, all sad and somber - and eyeing the children as if imagining them starving - while mothers clutched their little ones to them. How he described the grand Lugard, and Mat was certain it was a dirty hovel of a city. Then towards the end, Luca proclaims that he will hire ships to carry them all, and Mat nearly chokes at that, as he watches Luca incredulously, since Luca is "tight enough to render mice for tallow."

An overarching funny thing concerning Mat and Luca that I always thought was funny was how they dislike each other and why. Mat dislikes Luca because he likes money way too much and thinks very highly of himself with women/flirts with them. Of course, these are two primary attributes of Mat himself. I feel it is at least half-implied that Luca dislikes Mat for the same reasons. Of course, Mat also seems to find it ridiculous how Luca dresses flamboyantly and even lacquered his bright, huge wagon, complete with "a gilded chair the man had to have stolen from a palace somewhere."

One last one is another from Mat's pov. Most of the showfolk talk about what they will do after leaving the show. Not Luca. The man planned to keep on until he died in the middle of a show, and probably wanted as big of a crowd in attendance at the time as possible.

I always thought Luca was awesome, and he certainly is one of the funniest characters in the series, both for what he says himself and how others view him.

morat'corlm
12-14-2010, 07:58 AM
“In my day, girls jumped when a Wise One said jump, and continued jumping until they were told to stop. As I am still alive, it is still my day. Need I make myself clearer?”

finn
12-14-2010, 12:44 PM
“In my day, girls jumped when a Wise One said jump, and continued jumping until they were told to stop. As I am still alive, it is still my day. Need I make myself clearer?”

Excellent quote. Great way to introduce Sorilea's character.

Here's a quote about Bair:

"Young or not, she could probably run any of them into the ground, then carry them the rest of the way."

Which rings familiar to something about Egeanin/Leilwin:

"If her horse threw a shoe on the road to Tar Valon, she would likely sling the animal over her shoulder and carry it the rest of the way."

padfoot89
12-14-2010, 01:01 PM
"Vanin, where on the Dark One's blistered backside are we?"

morat'corlm
12-14-2010, 10:02 PM
If you don't mind including some where we laugh at the books, this is funny in a WTF kind of way.Her sniff was pointed and meaning. Aiel, Andoran or anything else, women used those noises like sticks, to prod or thump.

Casabamelon
12-15-2010, 01:06 PM
I had a very good belly laugh MUCH after the fact thanks to Terez.

She was discussing the "mystery" of why Elayne had so much trouble with her veil, and (with a little prodding) I realized what was going on.

Very subtle (to me) by RJ, very in character, and very amusing. I definitely glossed over it when I read that section, and missed out.

Always makes me wonder what else I've missed out on. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is world building.
________
BRUNETTE VID (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/15/brunette/videos/1)

Goldie
12-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Can't think of anything off the top of my head to contribute. However it is a good thing no one else is in the office right now. I am reading these during lunch and anyone that overheard the giggles coming from my desk would think I had gone mad.
:D Thank you everyone

CreationEdge
12-15-2010, 02:42 PM
I had a very good belly laugh MUCH after the fact thanks to Terez.

She was discussing the "mystery" of why Elayne had so much trouble with her veil, and (with a little prodding) I realized what was going on.

Very subtle (to me) by RJ, very in character, and very amusing. I definitely glossed over it when I read that section, and missed out.

Always makes me wonder what else I've missed out on. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is world building.

What book/chapter is that in? I want to reread it now.

David Selig
12-15-2010, 03:30 PM
It's in The Shadow Rising, Chapter 46 "Veils".

Rand al'Fain
12-15-2010, 03:58 PM
It's in The Shadow Rising, Chapter 46 "Veils".

Excerpt please?

CreationEdge
12-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Wow, I would've never noticed that, either, without someone hinting to look for something.

morat'corlm
12-16-2010, 12:06 AM
“We should have hired chairs, Nynaeve,” Elayne said again, wondering for the hundredth time how Taraboner women talked without catching the veils in their mouths. Spitting it out, she added, “We are going to have to use these things.”She spat out the veil once more. Idiotic thing.Again she had to spit out her veil. Nynaeve did not seem to have that problem.
It had to be a learned skill, that was how Elayne saw it; you must have to learn how to talk without eating your veil.
If you want to know why, ask Mat Cauthon, here in ACOS14:
the bloody Daughter-Heir walked about with her nose in the air

David Selig
12-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Another classic example of Nynaeve's hilarious lack of self-awareness during TFOH:

What she did not quite understand was why she liked Areina best. It was her opinion, putting this and that together, that nearly all of Areina’s troubles came from having too free a tongue, telling people exactly what she thought. It could hardly be coincidence that she was harried out of one village so quickly she had to leave her horse behind after calling the mayor a pie-faced loon and telling some village women that dry-bones kitchen sweepers had no right to question why she was on the road alone. That was what she admitted to saying. Nynaeve thought a few days of herself for example would do Areina worlds of good.

IoCaster
12-25-2010, 04:44 PM
I always found that it was the little incidental reactions and asides from the characters that made me laugh. RJ had a deft touch.

"I doubt I've ever seen such splendid flies," Nalesean grumbled, waving away several choice specimens from his cup. "What is it we're doing again?"

"You are swilling that foul excuse for wine and sweating like a goat," Mat muttered, tugging his hat to shade his eyes better. "I'm being ta'veren."

"A woman Warder," Nalesean muttered. "I knew everything would change with the Dragon Reborn, but a woman Warder?"

Mat shrugged, "I suppose she'll do well enough as long as she really can shoot that bow. Down the wrong hole?" he asked Juilin, who had begun choking on his ale.

Cor Shan
01-04-2011, 05:37 AM
KOD - page 64, hardcover:
"but it seems intuitively obvious..."

morat'corlm
01-04-2011, 06:13 AM
KOD - page 64, hardcover:
"but it seems intuitively obvious..."Jesus, that's actually in there. And the next line: it seems intuitively obvious—”

Astrelle swelled up, and since she was a plump woman with a formidable bosomAstrelle, of course, being derived from aster, star, so he's really having fun here.

Juan
01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
hahaha I just read the Elayne scene with the veils... that was priceless I didn't catch that before.

lee322
01-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Min tells Thom to "Go juggle something."

subwoofer
01-14-2011, 07:55 PM
I always found that it was the little incidental reactions and asides from the characters that made me laugh. RJ had a deft touch.

"A woman Warder," Nalesean muttered. "I knew everything would change with the Dragon Reborn, but a woman Warder?"

Mat shrugged, "I suppose she'll do well enough as long as she really can shoot that bow. Down the wrong hole?" he asked Juilin, who had begun choking on his ale.

Loved that bit... actually, Thom and Juilin had some very good parts on their trudge with the SGs. When they were in Luca's circus, Juilin flipping out about having to walk the high rope, not knowing that Elayne had woven a bridge of Air for him to walk on. And Nynaeve screaming as Birgitte shot arrows at her... blindfolded and such. Ahhhh good times:p