PDA

View Full Version : Poetic setup

yasiru89
11-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I mentioned this theory I had in the introduction thread, but here's to more elaboration.

We know that Perrin's family was killed by Fain and his tainted Whitecloaks. It is also known through Min's viewing that Perrin has to be there twice or something bad will happen to Rand. Last we saw of Fain, he was making his way North further into the Blight, presumably planning to attack Rand when he least expects it.
Wouldn't it make sense then to have Perrin kill Fain and die in the process (fulfilling the Shadow prophecy) trying to protect Rand? It would be nice if Perrin got rid of Slayer as well, as revenge for Hopper and his wolfkin, and perhaps there's more to occur in Tel'aran'rhiod which allows the departed Perrin to do just that. If we add on the ripping out of Tel'aran'rhiod theory, Perrin could also get back (and all without even needing to be bound to the Horn)- and this wouldn't be as unsatisfactory as the same happening to Rand.

The only issue I can think of is in Perrin's manner of death. We recall Sammael not returning (I think this was the official word, despite someone posing as him moving Shadowspawn about in the Ways), so unless the Dark One didn't bother with him (rather unlikely since Moghedien messed up far worse than he did), perhaps Mashadar (which seems to be forming about Fain) has a balefire-like effect that could interfere with Perrin making it to Tel'aran'rhiod. But it still allows for Perrin to get rid of Fain and thereby have justice done for his family (though he may not know it- but Bornhald might say something now).

TankSpill
11-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I mentioned this theory I had in the introduction thread, but here's to more elaboration.

We know that Perrin's family was killed by Fain and his tainted Whitecloaks. It is also known through Min's viewing that Perrin has to be there twice or something bad will happen to Rand. Last we saw of Fain, he was making his way North further into the Blight, presumably planning to attack Rand when he least expects it.
Wouldn't it make sense then to have Perrin kill Fain and die in the process (fulfilling the Shadow prophecy) trying to protect Rand? It would be nice if Perrin got rid of Slayer as well, as revenge for Hopper and his wolfkin, and perhaps there's more to occur in Tel'aran'rhiod which allows the departed Perrin to do just that. If we add on the ripping out of Tel'aran'rhiod theory, Perrin could also get back (and all without even needing to be bound to the Horn)- and this wouldn't be as unsatisfactory as the same happening to Rand.

The only issue I can think of is in Perrin's manner of death. We recall Sammael not returning (I think this was the official word, despite someone posing as him moving Shadowspawn about in the Ways), so unless the Dark One didn't bother with him (rather unlikely since Moghedien messed up far worse than he did), perhaps Mashadar (which seems to be forming about Fain) has a balefire-like effect that could interfere with Perrin making it to Tel'aran'rhiod. But it still allows for Perrin to get rid of Fain and thereby have justice done for his family (though he may not know it- but Bornhald might say something now).

A lot of people theorize that Perrin will die, but I just don't see it. I feel like most of the foreshadowing, viewings, and prophecy we've seen concerning Perrin have more to do with him taking the Saldean crown eventually.

However, yes, there would certainly be a nice level of poetic irony in something like this.

yasiru89
11-27-2010, 12:38 PM
A lot of people theorize that Perrin will die, but I just don't see it. I feel like most of the foreshadowing, viewings, and prophecy we've seen concerning Perrin have more to do with him taking the Saldean crown eventually.

However, yes, there would certainly be a nice level of poetic irony in something like this.
But what of that Prophecy of the Shadow at the end of ToM? The first mention seems to be Hopper, but I can't help but see that the next makes it clear that Perrin will go down.

alleluia_cone
11-27-2010, 01:51 PM
The fanbase seems to be very attached to the idea that those in the Light will do away with their "natural" enemies and I have to say, there is no evidence that Jordan ever set things up this way.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I mean the assumption that says that Nynaeve will kill Moghedien and that Perrin will handle Slayer, or Rand against Moridin plus Demandred, and so on.

After all, Sammael died an ignominious death to an unseen foe, Rand doesn't even know he killed Halima, Egwene has never confronted Liandrin (yet), Lanfear was defeated by someone she didn't even know, and Be'lal the same.

Not that I'm saying none of these natural rivalries will come to full fruition but at the same time, would it truly be shocking if, say, Aviendha did away with Moghedien or if Nynaeve killed Slayer? Or are people more confident that things will go according to "what is expected"?

Terez
11-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I mentioned this a while back. Mat and Couladin is a fairly good example.

The Angry Druid
11-27-2010, 02:56 PM
The fanbase seems to be very attached to the idea that those in the Light will do away with their "natural" enemies and I have to say, there is no evidence that Jordan ever set things up this way.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I mean the assumption that says that Nynaeve will kill Moghedien and that Perrin will handle Slayer, or Rand against Moridin plus Demandred, and so on.

After all, Sammael died an ignominious death to an unseen foe, Rand doesn't even know he killed Halima, Egwene has never confronted Liandrin (yet), Lanfear was defeated by someone she didn't even know, and Be'lal the same.

Not that I'm saying none of these natural rivalries will come to full fruition but at the same time, would it truly be shocking if, say, Aviendha did away with Moghedien or if Nynaeve killed Slayer? Or are people more confident that things will go according to "what is expected"?

While I get what you are saying, none of those characters you mentioned have really been the "natural enemy" or main antagonist of any of the main characters.

Sammael isn't even close for one of the Forsaken for Rand (Ishy/Demandred/Lanfear). Lanfear is still alive.

Moggy is still out there for Nynaeve. Slayer still out there for Perrin. Fain/Ishy/Demandred still out there for Rand. Mat DID get the Gholam (with an assist from Elayne).

Egwene DID face down her main rival (Mesaana), though she didn't know who her real adversary was in the WT until the last book.

My main point would be that Rand seems to be taking a different path than direct confrontation with his enemies. Of course, his main enemy is the DO.

yasiru89
11-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Wouldn't it be the same thing if Perrin was unaware at that point the truth of what happened to his family? Like I said, I meant for it to happen with Perrin protecting Rand. Perhaps it is exactly because of the unexpected confrontations that this one, should it happen, would have that poetic justice.
As for Slayer, motive certainly counts for something- if Perrin sought him out and forced a confrontation, unless the Pattern kept them at bay, it's possible for them to fight till one died just because one or both were dogged about it.