PDA

View Full Version : Touching Mashadar to the Dark One

yasiru89
11-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Haven't seen mention of anything of the like from what threads I perused, but going by what Lews Therin said about having had need of something to touch to the Dark One, I don't think the problem would be solved simply by a combination of saidin and saidar. I remember seeing mention of the True Power somewhere, but containing through that is as bad good as touching the Dark One himself as I can see.
So why not slap Mordeth/Fain and Mashadar on the Bore in the resealing? From what we saw from the cleansing of saidin, the Dark One shouldn't be able to do anything through that without extending himself more than the counterstroke on saidin would have required and by then he'd be sealed away thoroughly. Also, Mashadar wouldn't be able to do anything to saidin or saidar even if using it as a buffer required a 'touching' to it as well.

SixPips
11-27-2010, 11:48 AM
This has been discussed on several forum threads on the site actually, many people seem to think that it may be some form of "buffer" and many are against it.

This is a hot topic thread, but its also been beaten into the ground severely. You may not have seen it on any recent posts because people have moved past it and just consider it Read and Find Out (RAFO) as it is otherwise just going to be people talking in circles.

The truth of the matter: There is evidence for this, but it is ambiguous enough to leave a hole that would prevent anyone from properly defending the theory. I personally think that is intentionally done by RJ/BS in order to keep the readers guessing.

Sharp mind for thinking it up on your own though = )

yasiru89
11-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I suspected as much. I only looked at the first five or six pages on here. Didn't expect Mashadar to come up around Fain like that, so I thought it was worth something.

Davian93
11-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Welcome to Theoryland.

yasiru89
11-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks! :)

subwoofer
11-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Well then Mashy touching the DO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-34w8kGPM)? Might make him happy.

Then again, as has probably been stated, there is the Aridhol idea that in order to beat the Shadow you need to become crueller and more merciless than your enemies. Using one Darkness to defeat another.

The only thing that certifiably creeps me out about this theory is that if Fain is so truly badass that he can hold the DO in and stand toe to toe with him, what the deuce is Rand going to do to get Fain to play along. Bribe him with Skittles?:D

Then there is the DO angle. Rand knocks on the door, says "candy gram" tosses Fain and heads for the hills? This may take some planning...

The Immortal One
11-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Using one Darkness to defeat another.

Were you serious? If you are, I have to say I don't think it's a good idea. The entire series shows over and over that 'Using one Darkness to defeat another' never works and usually has terrible consequences as well.

David Selig
11-28-2010, 09:48 AM
The entire series shows over and over that 'Using one Darkness to defeat another' never works and usually has terrible consequences as well.
On the contrary, this strategy worked perfectly during the Cleansing of Saidin.

subwoofer
11-28-2010, 10:00 AM
On the contrary, this strategy worked perfectly during the Cleansing of Saidin.

Well maybe what the Immo One was talking about was Rand becoming harder and colder in personality to deal with the situation and responsibilities thrust upon him. In that particular case, it was paved with disaster.

But in the case of using the evil of Aridhol to cancel out the Taint of the DO, it did work well. Remember, Rand did get that idea from the two opposing but similar wounds in his side. Fain is a peddler. Maybe he likes candy...

yasiru89
11-29-2010, 12:27 AM
What I was going for was this- the Dark One's counterstroke on saidin seems an instantaneous thing. Had he been in constant contact with it after it was touched to him in sealing back the prison, then the cleansing wouldn't have worked since he'd just have re-tainted it over and over. So there's need of something which will hold against something like that for a little while. Obviously Mashadar did that during the cleansing of saidin. Now Mashadar, unlike the Dark One, is largely mindless and likely can't do anything to saidin or saidar if they're touched to it (and in any case you can attack the thing with the One Power- it once fled from balefire), so it makes perfect sense as a buffer.
What Rand will need is something like that 'goo extraction machine' of Rob Reiner's in that South Park episode to extract and contain Mashadar long enough to patch the seal with it. All the while Fain screams that when he said he was a dog no longer, he didn't mean he wanted to be a milk cow! :D

GonzoTheGreat
11-29-2010, 04:14 AM
What if Mashadar got bored and wandered off?
That'd leave the DO free to act again. Only without a Dragon in the neighbourhood to slow him down.

yasiru89
11-29-2010, 04:23 AM
What if Mashadar got bored and wandered off?
That'd leave the DO free to act again. Only without a Dragon in the neighbourhood to slow him down.
It won't matter since the sealing part is instantaneous like I said. They wouldn't be using Mashadar itself for the seal, just as a buffer to prevent the Dark One leaving any unpleasant gifts.
And if necessary, you could always throw in a Trolloc or two to keep Mashadar's attention, there'd be plenty about! :D

Servus Christi
11-29-2010, 04:46 AM
What if they don't use the Power at all in the sealing?

yasiru89
11-29-2010, 05:26 AM
What if they don't use the Power at all in the sealing?
Steam engine guy invents duct tape- good idea!

GonzoTheGreat
11-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Steam engine guy invents duct tape- good idea!Duct tape irretrievably Tainted for an entire Age, and you think that's a good idea?

yasiru89
11-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Duct tape irretrievably Tainted for an entire Age, and you think that's a good idea?
Stick Mashadar on the sticky side, thereby capturing it and avoiding the taint?

GonzoTheGreat
11-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Stick Mashadar on the sticky side, thereby capturing it and avoiding the taint?Could be a good horror movie, that: evil duct tape slithering out of nooks and crannies on tendrils of mist when the sun goes down.

Servus Christi
11-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Steam engine guy invents duct tape- good idea!

The Dark One will be able to erode any Power-based seal/prison.. it's the reason the Seals are failing after all.

And consider when the Aes Sedai were first studying the new source of Power made no mention of being able to detect the One Power around the new one which I think would have elicited comment.

yasiru89
11-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I wonder about that, I always thought a seal involving both saidin and saidar would work in counterpoint, like an AC flow in order to last. i.e- only using saidin is what weakened the seals over time.

Insane Ducky
11-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Actually, that makes sense. Read the following.

http://www.drenergysaver.com/heating-cooling/ductwork/duct-leakage.html

Specifically, and I swear I did not reference this for its punniness...

Only a Quack Would Use "Duck Tape" on Ductwork
Duct tape has thousands of uses, but it shouldn't be used on ductwork. This tape was originally developed during World War II to keep moisture out of ammunition cases. Servicemen appreciated the tape's waterproof qualities and the fact that the cloth backing was made from cotton duck cloth, so the name "duck tape" was coined. After the war, duck tape became "duct tape" when contractors began using it to seal ductwork. But time has taught us that duct tape dries out and disintegrates when used on ductwork. Its sealing effectiveness doesn't last very long. So, the moral of the story is that duct tape is handy to have around; just don't use it for sealing leaky ducts.

yasiru89
11-30-2010, 03:14 AM
Ha ha... That's interesting- I figure thread seal tape would be better for temporary sealing.