PDA

View Full Version : THE Towers of Midnight--seandar

SixPips
11-28-2010, 06:49 AM
I was slightly perturbed by the fact that the TOM only occur in the book in an obscure reference and that the best info comes from the back of the book and from RJ's white book of awesome. I noticed what the book considered to be a "legend" that one day the emperor or empress would return to the Towers and "Right that which is Wrong." That bothered me for a good while until I finally got out my white book and got to reading.

"For her trouble Deain was rewarded with imprisonment by her own device. She was, after all, Aes Sedai and thus not to be trusted. It is said her screams "shook the Towers of Midnight."

From that I infer there is some connection with the a'dam and the towers, the creator of the a'dam Deain Sedai was apparently there when she was imprisoned with the A'dam. I think that Tuon, now that she knows how to Travel, will free the people from the a'dam in an act that will take place at the Towers of Midnight. I also think that this was Foretold, not just a legend passed down through Seandar.

Nei
11-28-2010, 06:53 AM
It's a pretty far stretch to think that Tuon will change her mind about damane in the space of one book. :/

GonzoTheGreat
11-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Good call combining the end of the a'dam with the ToM, though.

Enheduanna
11-28-2010, 11:47 AM
"For her trouble Deain was rewarded with imprisonment by her own device. She was, after all, Aes Sedai and thus not to be trusted. It is said her screams "shook the Towers of Midnight."

It seems likely that the part of the prophecy that refers to "The one-eyed fool shall walk the halls of mourning" refer to Mat being at the Towers of Midnight to right an ancient wrong; i.e. freeing the Damane.

Squocka
11-28-2010, 05:45 PM
It seems likely that the part of the prophecy that refers to "The one-eyed fool shall walk the halls of mourning" refer to Mat being at the Towers of Midnight to right an ancient wrong; i.e. freeing the Damane.

Also a lot to happen in one book considering TLB is about to start.
Interesting concept though,
all of the end of book prophesy's have been fulfilled in the book they were in just that this one has been getting more attention because of the broken wolf.

yasiru89
11-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I thought the Towers of Midnight referred to the Forsaken more than the actual things.

It's a pretty far stretch to think that Tuon will change her mind about damane in the space of one book. :/
Maybe have someone slip a'dam on every sul'dam on sight and even Tuon herself? But this way, after much panic, whatever remains of the Empire might come under a male Emperor, while I think Tuon is still the best chance to turn the Seanchan.

sythmaster
11-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Maybe have someone slip a'dam on every sul'dam on sight and even Tuon herself? But this way, after much panic, whatever remains of the Empire might come under a male Emperor, while I think Tuon is still the best chance to turn the Seanchan.

For some reason, I've had this vision of some sort of Rand/Tuon Meeting 2.0 where he raises his hand and flicks his wrist, and all the a'dam present switch collar/wrist holders. And then he just turns and smiles and kind of does a "now what?" look at the Empress, may she forever get a clue.

looqas
11-29-2010, 01:58 AM
Good posts people.

Personally I was a little bit miffed up why the name of the book was Towers of Midnight when all the book had in about them was 2 tiny tidbits at the beginning and at the end.

True, some WoT book names have been obscure (e.g Fires of Heaven and The Knife of Dreams), but at least Towers of Midnight is a real location so one would expect something taking place in there like The Eye of The World.

The Aviendha's post LB Aiel POV hinted that Tuon was very close to striking a deal with Aiel, whose main concern is Seanchan making Wise Ones damane. One could surmise that the deal is indeed about freeing damane.

yasiru89
11-29-2010, 04:16 AM
For some reason, I've had this vision of some sort of Rand/Tuon Meeting 2.0 where he raises his hand and flicks his wrist, and all the a'dam present switch collar/wrist holders. And then he just turns and smiles and kind of does a "now what?" look at the Empress, may she forever get a clue.
Now that would be nice. Aviendha's visions indicate Tuon a 'woman of honour', and I tend to agree, except that at the moment she's deluded. Breaking the news to the rest of the Empire is the problem. Perhaps they can start gradually with the a'dam replaced by the Oath Rod (if only Elayne and Aviendha could replicate it- perhaps Rand can offer some insight). Eventually that can be supplanted, since these people aren't of course as silly as Aes Sedai (though still sticklers for custom). But then again, I wonder about these long life spans for channellers, perhaps they're better off without them.

Great Lord of the Dark
11-29-2010, 09:23 PM
I agree that the Towers of Midnight title refers more to Egwene's dream of the thirteen black towers. One falls and rises back up (Moridin).
There are 6 Towers left at the end of her dream.

Moridin
Cyndane
Graendal
Demandred
Mesaana
and ???
Moghedien?

Or someone else???

morat'corlm
11-29-2010, 10:25 PM
and ???
Moghedien?

Or someone else???Is there some reason to believe it would not be Moghedien? She did not die at the Cleansing.

LewsTherin10
11-30-2010, 12:15 PM
I was slightly perturbed by the fact that the TOM only occur in the book in an obscure reference and that the best info comes from the back of the book and from RJ's white book of awesome.

Ahem...I give you Knife of Dreams. The most irrelevant title to date. I was waiting the whole book for someone to get stabbed with this knife...WTF!!! The saying at the beginning makes no sense. Pft...

Grig
11-30-2010, 01:58 PM
And seriously, where is this Path of Daggers people keep talking about?

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2010, 03:19 AM
And seriously, where is this Path of Daggers people keep talking about?That is only relevant if you wanna eat:
Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers.
--Anonymous notation found inked in the margin of a manuscript history (believed to date to the time of Artur Hawkwing) of the last days of the Tovan Conclaves

On the heights, all paths are paved with daggers.
--Old Seanchan saying