PDA

View Full Version : Chess!

Lupusdeusest
11-30-2010, 02:42 AM
I was conversing elsewhere today about a WoT chess set... who would you have as what?

So far I've come up with the list below:

3rd Age
LIGHT
King - Rand
Queen - Egwene
Bishops/Advisors - Cadsuane and Nynaeve
Knights - Mat and Perrin
Rooks/Castles -
Pawns -

DARK
King - Ishydin
Queen - (Pre-ToM, would have been Grae)
Bishops/Advisors - Demi and Be'lal (both strategists)
Knights - Sammy(?) and...
Rooks/Castles - Taim and...
Pawns -

Again, not too sure where some crucial people would fit in. SH is basically very nearly or indeed actually Dark King too. As for the pawns...

What are your opinions, anyway (the entire point of putting this here!)? Who is what?

yks 6nnetu hing
11-30-2010, 02:52 AM
pawns for dark: Trollocks of course. Pawns for Light: Whitecloaks

How about Gareth Bryne and Rodel Ituralde as rooks? they're not agile enough to be bishops (and channelers/people able to Travel are) but excellent as hard core rear-guard.

yasiru89
11-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Mat is too awesome for chess since he has both the initiative of the knight as well as a strategic edge! Maybe Ishydin can suggest a more suitable game... :D
Hang on, are all the women of the Shadow broken wretches by now?

SixPips
11-30-2010, 07:49 AM
I thought I would rate it from top down powerwise and influence wise.

Light/White:
King - Rand (duh)
Queen- Tuon (more power and influence than eggy)
Bishop L - Egwene
Bishop R - Elayne
Knight L - Mat (highly unpredictable and wild)
Knight R - Perrin (same due to T'averen)
Rook L - Lan (Immensely reliable, and solid)
Rook R - Nynaeve (Immensely reliable, and Lan's other half)
Pawns: I saw Whitecloaks mentioned for the light earlier, but I felt that the Aiel would fit the category much better of "People that serve the King(Rand) and are numerous"

As for the Shadow, I saw a slightly different Juxtasposition...

King - Shadar Haran (Rand's antithesis, evil incarnate)
Queen- Moridin (Rand's most powerful enemy)
Bishop L - Mesaana(was Egwene's big rival_
Bishop R - Aran'gar (the other big rival)
Knight L - Gholam (Mat's big foe)
Knight R - Padan Fain (Highly unpredictable, and crazy as a loon.)
Rook L - Demandred (The only chosen still really kicking without having been reborn or enslaved)
Rook R - Slayer (Reliable, as long as not fighting Perrin)

Pawns: I felt like the spin I had put on it with having Shadar Haran as king lent more to pawns being Myrdraal, plus what Trolloc could go 1 on 1 with an Aiel person?

Another justification for my pawn selections: A pawn, while difficult to do, can cross the board and touch the enemy back row. When this occurs, the pawn goes from a generic pawn to whatever powerful unit you wish it to be. I thought this could be very symbolic since Rand is half-Aiel, and Shadar Haran is pretty much a Myrdraal with some extra Shadow DNA mixed in there somehow.

dominominic
11-30-2010, 01:08 PM
The white rooks should be the White Tower and the black rooks should be the Black Tower.

Obvious but fitting.

SixPips
11-30-2010, 01:38 PM
The white rooks should be the White Tower and the black rooks should be the Black Tower.

Obvious but fitting.

I like these mucho.

khon
11-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Light

Pawns -- Aiel (I think it would be fun to have a mix of both male and Maiden fighters here)
Rooks -- White Tower, Stone of Tear
Knights -- Mat, Perrin
Bishops -- Moraine, Nynaeve
Queen -- Egwene
King -- Rand

Shadow

Pawns -- Trollocs
Rooks -- Shayol Ghul, Black Tower
Knights -- Slayer, Padan Fain
Bishops -- Mazrim Taim, Shaidar Haran
Queen -- Lanfear (Looking like Lanfear rather than Cyndane)
King -- Ishamael (Looking like Ba'alzamon rather than Moridin)

I like having Fain and Slayer as the same piece, since earlier in the series they were trying to kill each other.

Belazamon
11-30-2010, 02:54 PM
I like having Fain and Slayer as the same piece, since earlier in the series they were trying to kill each other.
This would only work if Fain could capture black pieces as well as white.

dominominic
11-30-2010, 02:54 PM
You don't see many chess sets with different designs for each knight and bishop.

They're normally identical. That's what makes this tough.

dominominic
11-30-2010, 02:56 PM

This doesn't make much sense in a chess context.

Belazamon
11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
You don't see many chess sets with different designs for each knight and bishop.

They're normally identical. That's what makes this tough.
Slayer as the Knight - almost-identical pieces, but give one Isam's face and one Luc's face. :D

dominominic
11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Slayer as the Knight - almost-identical pieces, but give one Isam's face and one Luc's face. :D

Now this I like!

dominominic
11-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Bela and Mandarb for the white knights?

SixPips
11-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Now this I like!

agreed. Unfortunately, the only person on the lightside we could do the same with really is Rand and he's too important to not be king = /

The Mardy Asha'man
11-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Light(White)
Rand - King
Egwene - Queen
Rook - Mat/Perrin (because these are the second most powerful piece)
Bishop - Moirane/Elayne
Knight - Logian/Lan
Pawn - Humanity

Dark(Black)
Moridin - King
Shaidar Haran - Queen (would be Lanfear but she's mind trapped)
Rook - Demandred/Graendal
Bishop - Lanfear(Cyndane)/Moghedian
Knight - Taim/Slayer
Pawn - Trollocs

Lupusdeusest
11-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Bela and Mandarb for the white knights?

But Bela would have to be on the Dark side's set... :D

Lupusdeusest
11-30-2010, 07:15 PM

Oh Yeah!
(Personally, I don't think Fain has a place on either team - he is purely Team Fain.(Cue RJ Wildcard quote.) Perhaps it could become a game of lightning chess, and he could be the timer? XD)

And Moiraine has more advisory capacity than Nyn; how on earth did I forget her?!?

yasiru89
12-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Oh Yeah!
(Personally, I don't think Fain has a place on either team - he is purely Team Fain.(Cue RJ Wildcard quote.) Perhaps it could become a game of lightning chess, and he could be the timer? XD)

And Moiraine has more advisory capacity than Nyn; how on earth did I forget her?!?
There was a theory that Fain breaks the seals (it further assumed this was a bad thin)- this fits the timer idea, except that when it runs out the Lightside pieces are incinerated. :D

Bela is of course a Horsefriend!

I agree with Mat and Perrin as rooks.

dominominic
12-01-2010, 02:53 AM
If both your rooks look different, and both your bishops and knights too, you have a problem actually playing a game with the set.

It's too confusing.

yasiru89
12-01-2010, 03:09 AM
Give Perrin a hat, take an eye out and make Mat grow a beard, wear a contact lens and get him to work out- should work. :D

I think that instead of making the pieces particular people, particular institutions or groups work better.

Musenge_09
12-01-2010, 05:07 AM
This thread is exactly why this website is one of my top two or three visited every day...

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2010, 06:07 AM
If both your rooks look different, and both your bishops and knights too, you have a problem actually playing a game with the set.

It's too confusing.Hah!

The Shadow will be playing with (at least) 6 different kinds of pawns. And, of course, now and the Shadow gets to move some Light pawns too, as they're secretly DFs.

yasiru89
12-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Hah!

The Shadow will be playing with (at least) 6 different kinds of pawns. And, of course, now and the Shadow gets to move some Light pawns too, as they're secretly DFs.
There's Dark White Tower and Light White Tower, and the same for the Black Tower (though the Black Ajah were pushing for their Dark White Tower to be called the Black Tower instead, but Taim said 'first come, first served' again (as he did with the Aes Sedai who came for the bonding)).

Casabamelon
12-01-2010, 02:45 PM
In response to Dom:

A lot of "themed" chess sets do have completely different characters for each side. Many times, each rook/bishop/knight is a different person, too!

The trick is to have the same pieces approximately the same size, and in the same pose, so it's easier to quickly recognize what's what.
________
BABE SEDUCTIVE (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/195/seductive/videos/1)

Rahvin571
12-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Light

King - Rand
Queen - Egwene
Bishop - Aes Sedai
Rook - Ashaman
Knight - Child of the Light
Pawn - Soldier

Dark

King - Ba'alzamon
Queen - Shadar Haran
Bishop - Myrdraal
Rook - Forsaken
Knight - Isam/Slayer
Pawn - Trolloc

I think this would take care of the whole piece mismatch pretty well, although it does make for a less interesting piece cast. Oh well. The only real non-duplicate here would be the Dark Rook, but I feel the Shadow needs more humans in it, otherwise I could have fit a Drakghar in there instead.