PDA

View Full Version : Has Rand been blinded yet?

cottillion
12-01-2010, 04:37 AM
There are a lot of references in prophecies and dreams about Rand being blind at some point. There's the Essanik cycle:

"At the end of time,
when the many become one,
the last storm shall gather its angry winds
to destroy a land already dying.
And at its center,
the blind man shall stand
upon his own grave.
There he shall see again,
and weep for what has been wrought."

There was perrins dream about him:
"Perrin thought it was Rand. He wore rags and a
rough cloak, and a bandage covered his eyes."

There are all of the references to Rand as the Fisher King which is depicted with Bandaged eyes.

I could see the blind man reference from the first one talking about Rand on dragonmount. After he destroyed the access key he even said it was like he was opening his eyes for the first time in a great while. The others however don't seem like they would fit that as well. Are they talking about two separate events and if not has this already been fulfilled?

Also on a somewhat related note, at that same time did he also fulfill:
"There can be no health in us,
nor any good thing grow, for
the land is one with the Dragon
Reborn, and he one with the land.
Soul of fire, heart of stone, in
pride he conquers, forcing the
proud to yield. He calls upon the
mountains to kneel, and the seas to
give way, and the very skies to bow.
Pray that the heart of stone remembers
tears, and the soul of fire, love."

I'd say it's pretty clear since everything was falling apart more and more as Rand deteriorated. Then after his epiphany on dragonmount everything is starting to return to normal everywhere he goes. Just as the land can never be healthy as long as the fisher king is wounded, Randland can never be healthy as long as Rand is wounded.

yasiru89
12-01-2010, 04:59 AM
I think Rand going blind was figurative- he was drawn into the struggle so single-mindedly that he lost touch with what he sought to protect and what he was up against.
Also the chapter 'For what has been wrought' (if I remember the title correctly) in ToM refers back to that Essanik cycle prophecy (if the weeping on own grave reference to the epiphany and Rand talking about opening his eyes wasn't enough).

What Perrin saw with the literal bandage was likely a red herring- seeing as we've seen figurative things in Tel'aran'rhiod and Dreaming in general lots of times (Mat weighing two Aes Sedai on a scale for instance is, unlikely to happen, though you never know with Mat). Not to mention it would be too Dune.

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2010, 05:06 AM
Mat weighing two Aes Sedai on a scale for instance is, unlikely to happen, though you never know with Mat"Stand still, blast it! This won't work if you two keep hopping about."

cottillion
12-01-2010, 05:27 AM
I think Rand going blind was figurative- he was drawn into the struggle so single-mindedly that he lost touch with what he sought to protect and what he was up against.
Also the chapter 'For what has been wrought' (if I remember the title correctly) in ToM refers back to that Essanik cycle prophecy (if the weeping on own grave reference to the epiphany and Rand talking about opening his eyes wasn't enough).

What Perrin saw with the literal bandage was likely a red herring- seeing as we've seen figurative things in Tel'aran'rhiod and Dreaming in general lots of times (Mat weighing two Aes Sedai on a scale for instance is, unlikely to happen, though you never know with Mat). Not to mention it would be too Dune.

I agree that it makes a lot more sense for it to be figurative and the one from the first prophecy is almost assuredly talking of his time on dragonmount and his single-mindedness. It's mainly the second one and the connection to the fisher king that has me curious about it. There are a ton of prophecies of him as the beggar with the rags and cloak and I'm just wondering why Perrin's dream would be split with the rags referring to one time and the bandaging referring to another. That is unless all the beggar prophecies have already tome to pass while he was still blinded and I just completely missed it. he is most certainly still focused on the last battle but it seems like since his epiphany on dragonmount he has at least stopped letting it blind him to the point of ignoring all else.

skaywalker
12-01-2010, 05:51 AM
The rags are the clothes he took when he went to destroy the Seanchan in Ebou Dar. And the bandage over his eyes is figurative as yasiru89 said already.

yasiru89
12-01-2010, 06:34 AM
"Stand still, blast it! This won't work if you two keep hopping about."
How about dicing with Moridin? Graendal's sweating reaction indicates that perhaps the Dark One's touch if now focused about him, so maybe Mat can finally have a fair game!