PDA

View Full Version : Faintings

GonzoTheGreat
12-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Or Fain things. Whatever. All quotes from ToM, Prologue, Distinctions.

First, Fain hates his hatred. That, or he's mad.
The sky was black. A tempest. He liked that, though he hated the one who caused it.
Blood dripped from the tip of the dagger down onto the weeds. Crimson spots to cheer him. Red below, black above. Perfect. Did his hatred cause that storm? It must be so. Yes.

Second, what's the right way to kill a Worm?
The creature that had been Mordeth reached the bottom of the hill and did not look back at the large, purplish mass that he'd left atop it. Worms were very messy to kill the right way, but some things needed to be done the right way. It was the principle of the thing.Some explanatory diagrams might be useful here, I would say.

Third, he's become a philosopher. He and Moridin are going to have a ball comparing notes, while they're waiting for Rand to show up.
The Trollocs tore forward in a mismatched pack, feathers, beaks, claws, teeth, tusks. The creature that had been Fain stood still, mist licking his unshod feet. How wonderful! At the very back of the group, the Myrddraal hesitated, its eyeless gaze fixed on him. Perhaps it sensed that something was terribly, terribly wrong. And right, of course. You couldn't be one without the other. That wouldn't make sense.Interestingly mono-dualistic approach, this. I wonder whether he also applies it to interior design.

Fourth, I think I am glad he's not on my Facebook friend list*.
Like an old friend. A dear, beloved friend that you were going to stab through the eye, open up at the gut and consume by handfuls while drinking his blood. That was the proper way to treat friends.
It was an honor.

* Could be because I'm not on Facebook. Does anyone else have PF as a friend?

Ishara
12-01-2010, 05:20 PM
No, but I do have Uno Nomeshta!

Squocka
12-01-2010, 05:30 PM
something was terribly, terribly wrong. And right, of course. You couldn't be one without the other. That wouldn't make sense.

Yeah i took this bit to mean that the Myr recognises he has teh Dark Ones "Mark" like Alviarin but also knows that somehow he is not a Darkfriend

Spasmodean
12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
something was terribly, terribly wrong. And right, of course. You couldn't be one without the other. That wouldn't make sense.

Yeah i took this bit to mean that the Myr recognises he has teh Dark Ones "Mark" like Alviarin but also knows that somehow he is not a Darkfriend

If that were so, why did the Trollocs rush to attack?

yasiru89
12-02-2010, 01:13 AM
'The Peddler previously known as Fain' is of course, insane and broken into itsy bits inside. The hate of hate bit perfectly caught this.

Did Fain ever get 'marked' that way? He may have been marked in some way for location, but not so that Myrddraal would heed (and would they heed Alviarin? Probably wouldn't hurt her, even if they could, but not let her command I think, even though this is true for Forsaken). That Myrddraal must have thought him a regular campaigner in the Blight.

GonzoTheGreat
12-02-2010, 04:14 AM
The Myrddraal who employed him during the initial chase out of the TR (in TEOTW) did not seem to treat him as a superior, to say it gently. During rest periods, they stuffed Fain in a Trolloc cooking pot, which would be somewhat unexpected if he were commanding them.
After that, there's no evidence that he got any higher Shadow rank, and quite some evidence suggesting that he didn't.

So I would say that there was not a really clear mark to recognise. If there had been, then the Fade would have tried to kill Fain. That was the purpose for which Slayer had brought the Shadowspawn to the TR initially, before Perrin showed up there.

Ishara
12-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Yes, no mark like Alviarhin's. I will say though Gonzo that his approach with Fades changed after mashadar and Shadar Logoth. Ever since he took on the Mordeth soul he's been able to...hurt them.

Ieyasu
12-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Second, what's the right way to kill a Worm?
Some explanatory diagrams might be useful here, I would say.

I believe Lan says somewhere that they have to be chopped up into tiny bits.

GonzoTheGreat
12-03-2010, 03:52 AM
I'm not entirely sure that Fain would agree with the artistic views of Warders, though.
And chopping up an elephant sized worm with a dagger would take an awfully long time.

Belazamon
12-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Sometimes doing things right takes time, though.

Cortar
12-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Too true, plus it is the principle of the thing that matters!

subwoofer
12-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I believe Lan says somewhere that they have to be chopped up into tiny bits.

Sometimes doing things right takes time, though.

Pity there were not Cuisinarts back in the day then... that would be the best way I could think to er... micromanage a worm. Well, maybe a wood chipper would do as well;)

GonzoTheGreat
12-07-2010, 03:26 AM
So there's a sword form Frog In Cuisinart?

SixPips
12-07-2010, 11:01 AM
So there's a sword form Frog In Cuisinart?

epic