PDA

View Full Version : Poll: So what do you think about Jesus Rand?

Terrace
12-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Am I the only one who's a little weirded out by the new Rand2.0? I don't dislike him at all.. I just liked the old (non-crazy) Rand who'd mess up or just barely scrape by. Like he just destroyed half of rhuidean, or callandored half his army wtf. The battles were more poignant.

tldr: damn you sanderson. what poll?

Rand al'Fain
12-02-2010, 03:02 AM
Not really. He just basically merged with his past selffrom 3000 years before and gained 400 years of wisdom from that life. Plus, he came to terms with everything that had been haunting him up to that point (like the list of women's names he would go over). It was a huge weight off of his shoulders and was able to come to his senses.

Servus Christi
12-02-2010, 03:58 AM
My only regret is that it didn't happen sooner. We're only going to have such a short time with Rand Sedai.

I don't think it will be too jarring when we really get in his head. His life as Rand will dominate, his life as Lews Therin will be as a dream, he'll probably be more like the man he would have grown to be in the Two Rivers without the touch of the Taint on his mind. A man like his father.

Just remember that shepherd lad staring slack-jawed at the great city of Baerlon and imagine him having come home a man :D!

GonzoTheGreat
12-02-2010, 04:33 AM
He's just pretending to be rational now. It is all a ploy:
He wasn't certain what he'd do if they refused him. They'd find it very difficult to do so. Sometimes, it could be useful to have a reputation for being irrational.

Terez
12-02-2010, 11:48 AM
JesusRand is creepy. That is all.

jana
12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I liked some of it, but I won't know until I see how he acts around Moiraine. Rand in books 2 & 4-6 will probably always be my favorite.

alleluia_cone
12-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I feel we don't really know this Rand yet. We barely got any POV from him so far, and that being the case, it would be hard to make a determination yet.

My favorite Rand is Book 1 Rand, my second favorite Rand is book 2 Rand, my third favorite Rand is book 3 Rand, my . . .

Toss the dice
12-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't think it will be too jarring when we really get in his head. His life as Rand will dominate, his life as Lews Therin will be as a dream, he'll probably be more like the man he would have grown to be in the Two Rivers without the touch of the Taint on his mind. A man like his father.

When reading ToM, I envisioned it as basically the exact same thing as Mat and his memories, except Rand only has Lews Therin's memories and it was actually him in a previous life.

Terrace
12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
What is he doing fantasizing about Lanfear (ffs Lanfear) instead of his Ilyena? She's right up with fain and semirhage on the list of people-who-must-die-now.

Terrace
12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
When reading ToM, I envisioned it as basically the exact same thing as Mat and his memories, except Rand only has Lews Therin's memories and it was actually him in a previous life.

I seem to remember Mat's memories took a long time to be fully integrated. So maybe not quite the same, but almost.

Terrace
12-02-2010, 12:48 PM
I liked some of it, but I won't know until I see how he acts around Moiraine. Rand in books 2 & 4-6 will probably always be my favorite.

JesusRand has easily handled all aes sedai so far. I doubt moiraine will be more difficult than, like, cadsuane.

jana
12-02-2010, 12:55 PM
JesusRand has easily handled all aes sedai so far. I doubt moiraine will be more difficult than, like, cadsuane.

Buh? I've just been sitting here staring at this post trying to figure out how to reply. There are just so many options. And this is what I came up with.

Edit: Okay, I will just give you all my replies.

1. Buh?
2. wut.
3. lolwut
4. I don't think anyone's ever misunderstood a post of mine more than at this moment.
5. I will shake my fist at you if it turns out you actually think Rand will have any need of "handling" Moiraine
6. Buh? I've just been sitting here staring at this post trying to figure out how to reply. There are just so many options. And this is what I came up with.
7. 1. Buh?
2. wut.
3. lolwut
4. I don't think anyone's ever misunderstood a post of mine more than at this moment.
5. I will shake my fist at you if it turns out you actually think Rand will have any need of "handling" Moiraine
6. Buh? I've just been sitting here staring at this post trying to figure out how to reply. There are just so many options. And this is what I came up with.

Terrace
12-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Buh? I've just been sitting here staring at this post trying to figure out how to reply. There are just so many options. And this is what I came up with.

Well I also acknowledge that your point has some merit, and thus gracefully accept you conceding the point. :D

jana
12-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Well I also acknowledge that your point has some merit, and thus gracefully accept you conceding the point. ^_^

I don't remember having a point. (I'm being serious here. Did I have a point? What was it?)

Terrace
12-02-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't remember having a point. (I'm being serious here. Did I have a point? What was it?)

You weren't sure how rand would act around moiraine. I pointed out that it probably wouldn't be very different from how he acted around all the other aes sedai -- apologies + roughshod. Then we both agreed that sanderson sucks.

jana
12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
You weren't sure how rand would act around moiraine. I pointed out that it probably wouldn't be very different from how he acted around all the other aes sedai -- apologies + roughshod. Then we both agreed that sanderson sucks.

Er. I think the last sentence was a joke but even so I don't want my name included in that since I said nothing about him in this thread and have never said he sucks.

More importantly, I think you haven't been paying much (or any) attention to Rand's PoV concerning Moiraine in the past 8 books if you think he's going to treat Moiraine the same way as he does other Aes Sedai. That's what my incredulous reply is about.

I don't know exactly how he'll act around Moiraine but I do know it will be nothing like "apologetic and then roughshod." Apologetic and ecstatic more like it.

dpt24
12-02-2010, 01:12 PM
I like it; just wish we'd have gotten a POV or 2 out of him...

Terrace
12-02-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't know exactly how he'll act around Moiraine but I do know it will be nothing like "apologetic and then roughshod." Apologetic and ecstatic more like it. hmm, you're probably right. 10 bucks says there'll also be tears. But once he gets over it -- its roughshod time.

jana
12-02-2010, 01:22 PM
But once he gets over it -- its roughshod time.

You've definitely spilled soda on your lap or had a bug fly up your nose every time he thinks about Moiraine since Lord of Chaos. Hell will freeze over before he acts that way toward Moiraine or she gives him any reason to.

Terrace
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
You've definitely spilled soda on your lap or had a bug fly up your nose every time he thinks about Moiraine since Lord of Chaos. Hell will freeze over before he acts that way toward Moiraine or she gives him any reason to.

Eh. I judge people based on their actions, not on their thoughts (especially when they think she's dead). She's mellowed out a lot so she probably won't give him a reason, but he's the type to send her to rescue Lan or something.

Anyway he'll have his hands full so we probably won't find out.

Crispin's Crispian
12-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Eh. I judge people based on their actions, not on their thoughts (especially when they think she's dead). She's mellowed out a lot so she probably won't give him a reason, but he's the type to send her to rescue Lan or something.

Anyway he'll have his hands full so we probably won't find out.

I predict he won't be surprised. Or at least, he'll say something like, "I had been hoping you survived the world of the Ael'finn and Eel'finn."

No one gets the drop on Rand now. No one.

Jonai
12-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I predict Rand goes into Tim Gunn mode and they talk fashion. Cream Slashed Silks are the key to defeating the Dark One after all.

Jokeslayer
12-02-2010, 04:47 PM
I think he has a silly fan nickname, that's what I think.

Cairn
12-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I enjoy this Rand and am sorry we didn't get it sooner. I believe he now shows the wisdom I would expect of everyone that is hundreds of years old. (Frankly, the Aes Sedai and their actions and pettiness make them completely unbelievable to me, they should all act as this Rand does.)

Fans mention this 'zen' stuff and I have to scoff. The man is at peace with himself and what he must do. Has nobody ever met a person with this amount of self-confidence and self-awareness? Rand is now finally a leader and I'm glad for it. I hate a whiny hero. I hated it in Harry Potter and I hated it in WoT until now.

I do not feel Rand is very closely related to Jesus. He is a savior, yes, but after that the similarities falter. Jesus making food and Rand protecting food from the DO's touch are very different to me. Moses came down Mount Sinai (Dragonmount), not Jesus. And Rand hasn't risen from the dead yet, and if he does I think it will be very different than Jesus.

Terrace
12-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Stuff.

Wat about exorcising darkfriends by being so super awesome they kill themselves?

Servus Christi
12-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Wat about exorcising darkfriends by being so super awesome they kill themselves?

Our Lord and Saviour would not have cast the Darkfriend out without saving their soul from the Shadow ;).

jana
12-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I predict he won't be surprised. Or at least, he'll say something like, "I had been hoping you survived the world of the Ael'finn and Eel'finn."

No one gets the drop on Rand now. No one.

Yes. I'm sure one of the best potential scenes in the series will be ruined by Rand already expecting she's alive when she appears.

<3

(the only way he already knows she's alive is if he sees her in the whirlpool colors, and if that happens it will make for an equally awesome scene because he'll just Travel straight to her).

Terrace
12-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Well there's Min's prophecy about him needing Moiraine...

morat'corlm
12-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Our Lord and Saviour would not have cast the Darkfriend out without saving their soul from the Shadow ;).Fortunately death is the only escape from the Shadow; rebirth and salvation, yadda yadda.

Messiah Rand certainly beats crazy Rand, but I think I agree with the general thrust of alleluia_cone's preference for the early Rand, though I'd pick TSR-Rand as my personal favorite. He'd developed a certain wiliness and a rather amusing arrogance at that point, while being between the craziness of TDR-Rand and the even crazier craziness of post-Cairhien Rand from books 5-12.

jana
12-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Well there's Min's prophecy about him needing Moiraine...

Yep, and she has convinced Rand and herself that it failed.

Terrace
12-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Yep, and she has convinced Rand and herself that it failed.

Yeah, but that was the other guy. It's a good bet it hasn't fooled JesusRand.

jana
12-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah, but that was the other guy. It's a good bet it hasn't fooled JesusRand.

It's a terrible bet. You people are nuts.

a) potentially amazing scene
b) terribly disappointing and anti-climactic scene

Which should the author choose... Hmmm, tough decision here. Let me get back to you on this one.

BigBadWolfbrother
12-02-2010, 09:32 PM
I like both Rand's. The old one served the purposes for which he was needed. This new upgrade will serve the purpose for which HE is needed. I think the moment of Rand's epiphany on Dragonmount was my favorite moment BY FAR of this whole series.

Terrace
12-02-2010, 09:37 PM
It's a terrible bet. You people are nuts.

a) potentially amazing scene
b) terribly disappointing and anti-climactic scene

Which should the author choose... Hmmm, tough decision here. Let me get back to you on this one.

Some might argue the whole tower of ghenjei bit has been very anticlimactic, & that's a fitting end to it. (dark muttering)

Terrace
12-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Fortunately death is the only escape from the Shadow; rebirth and salvation, yadda yadda.

Messiah Rand certainly beats crazy Rand, but I think I agree with the general thrust of alleluia_cone's preference for the early Rand, though I'd pick TSR-Rand as my personal favorite. He'd developed a certain wiliness and a rather amusing arrogance at that point, while being between the craziness of TDR-Rand and the even crazier craziness of post-Cairhien Rand from books 5-12.

Well TSR is my favorite book, but i can't choose. I found all the Rand sections quite enjoyable, right until winter's heart. I have a higher tolerance for crazy.

yasiru89
12-02-2010, 10:01 PM
I said it before, but 'Jesus Rand' is pure myth. He even admitted he messed up by going Super Saiyan at Maradon, only, it seems it's just him who is aware how close it came and the sheer awesomeness overwhelmed this slight snag.
He is also aware of playing a precarious balance in the situation he's had Egwene give rise to as well as his lack of answers about resealing the Dark One.
Not to mention he was yet doubtful Min didn't hate or fear him until she cleared that up.

My favourite Rand was dark Rand from tGS, with the unparalleled ability in WoT to shut annoying folk up with a single glance. But I think the new Rand will have that same self-awareness (demonstrated in 'A Conversation with the Dragon'), only more so, combined with him being true to himself (something that's been rotting away since tDR, culminating in rejecting his past self).

About Moiraine, I sincerely, sincerely doubt she'll make herself any sort of hindrance to Rand (who will be ecstatic indeed, and surprised, on seeing her alive- I think seeing Mierin in the dream might have enforced his belief that Moiraine was dead too, since Cyndane is transmigrated Lanfear- though he might suspect something like Lanfear killing Moiraine on the other side of the archway if his past memories tell him about the Finn worlds), but even if she opposes breaking the seals or something, she is yet bound to the oaths she gave Rand (since she was never stilled, they still apply). Though again I reiterate that this would be a very, very unlikely occurrence.

jana
12-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I said it before, but 'Jesus Rand' is pure myth.

About Moiraine, I sincerely, sincerely doubt she'll make herself any sort of hindrance to Rand (who will be ecstatic indeed, and surprised, on seeing her alive- I think seeing Mierin in the dream might have enforced his belief that Moiraine was dead too, since Cyndane is transmigrated Lanfear- though he might suspect something like Lanfear killing Moiraine on the other side of the archway if his past memories tell him about the Finn worlds), but even if she opposes breaking the seals or something, she is yet bound to the oaths she gave Rand (since she was never stilled, they still apply). Though again I reiterate that this would be a very, very unlikely occurrence.

Thank you :p. And I see him more as Hippie Rand. I just had a fun image pop into my head.

http://upgifting.com/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/t/h/the-dude-robe.png

yasiru89
12-02-2010, 10:27 PM
I prefer your fanfic vision of Moiraine offering to be the third. Though I digress on the grounds that she'd need that angreal for any sort of strength and instead of complicating matters that way (since Callandor is in play) Alivia should be the third (all the better for her to be close at hand, to help Rand die and all).

Terrace
12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Hippie Rand
Clouds part when he shows up....

jana
12-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Clouds part when he shows up....

and they don't for hippies? What?!

yasiru89
12-02-2010, 11:18 PM
and they don't for hippies? What?!
They walk on clouds... :D

jana
12-02-2010, 11:40 PM
They walk on clouds... :D

:D

I think butterflies and rainbows should appear out of Rand's footsteps, and doves should carry the train of his cloak.

yasiru89
12-03-2010, 12:04 AM
I'll miss the whole, 'The trumpets of war shall sound at his footsteps, the ravens feed at his voice' bit though...

z10
12-03-2010, 01:13 AM
I like both Rand's. The old one served the purposes for which he was needed. This new upgrade will serve the purpose for which HE is needed. I think the moment of Rand's epiphany on Dragonmount was my favorite moment BY FAR of this whole series.

Agreed, the epiphany was the crowning moment of the series so far and suitably so.

Daekyras
12-03-2010, 03:03 AM
:D

I think butterflies and rainbows should appear out of Rand's footsteps, and doves should carry the train of his cloak.

Surely Jana, A hero like HipRand would wear a CAPE.....

GonzoTheGreat
12-03-2010, 04:37 AM
It would've been nice if we could have seen Masema praise this new Rand, though.

Servus Christi
12-03-2010, 05:05 AM
It would've been nice if we could have seen Masema praise this new Rand, though.

Now there's a man who knew what respect is due the Dragon Reborn ;)!

FelixPax
12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Rand 2.0 has turned into a Nym or Ogier, in some of his mannerisms & actions... so perhaps Brandon Sanderson sees a Nym as a Hippie Flower Dude? Mr. Rainbow!

If TGS Book ended with Rand's acknowledgement of L.T.T's memories as his very own memories--his love for Ilyena. (http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/hist/ilyena.html) It seems that TofM book ended with Mat Cauthon's better understanding of what the Eelfinn's gifts really meant. His Spear as a key to exit the Realms of the Eelfinn & Aelfinn; his foxhead medallion as a symbol of the ancient Aes Sedai; and his Eelfinn gained memories being tied to his own future.

I fully expect Mat Cauthon in AMoL book, to have also pondered more fully what his prior experience & answers from the Aelfinn meant. His People are the Jenn Aiel, the Da'Shain Aiel.

Rand is the Dragon Reborn, but who else is likely a Dragon? Mat Cauthon.

yasiru89
12-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Rand 2.0 has turned into a Nym or Ogier, in some of his mannerisms & actions... so perhaps Brandon Sanderson sees a Nym as a Hippie Flower Dude? Mr. Rainbow!

If TGS Book ended with Rand's acknowledgement of L.T.T's memories as his very own memories--his love for Ilyena. (http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/hist/ilyena.html) It seems that TofM book ended with Mat Cauthon's better understanding of what the Eelfinn's gifts really meant. His Spear as a key to exit the Realms of the Eelfinn & Aelfinn; his foxhead medallion as a symbol of the ancient Aes Sedai; and his Eelfinn gained memories being tied to his own future.

I fully expect Mat Cauthon in AMoL book, to have also pondered more fully what his prior experience & answers from the Aelfinn meant. His People are the Jenn Aiel, the Da'Shain Aiel.

Rand is the Dragon Reborn, but who else is likely a Dragon? Mat Cauthon.
Sometimes I wonder if you're serious... about the 'Moghedien shall strike again!' I mean... :p

kamarile
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't know... the best Rand was definitely the unpredictably crazy Rand of tGS (as opposed to the predictably crazy Rand of books 4-11.) While I liked Rand in this book, and while I liked the resolution of Rand's craziness at the end of the last one, I was kind of bummed that we didn't get to spend more time with Really Crazy Rand... if only because he made me feel like maybe the Light Side's victory wasn't totally and anticlimactically in the bag.

Also, total non-sequitur...
I predict Rand goes into Tim Gunn mode and they talk fashion. Cream Slashed Silks are the key to defeating the Dark One after all.

I think the Cream Slashed Silks would be a killer band name.

yasiru89
12-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't know... the best Rand was definitely the unpredictably crazy Rand of tGS (as opposed to the predictably crazy Rand of books 4-11.) While I liked Rand in this book, and while I liked the resolution of Rand's craziness at the end of the last one, I was kind of bummed that we didn't get to spend more time with Really Crazy Rand... if only because he made me feel like maybe the Light Side's victory wasn't totally and anticlimactically in the bag.

Though those Aviendha chapters in ToM made this sure victory barely appealing.

subwoofer
12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
I dunno about Rand2.0 = The Dude2.0 but I do like this Rand. The younger Rand's were likable, in that RJ had to write him that way so the main character is appealing to the readers- It would kinda suck if we all thought he needed killing from book 1 on. Right now I liken the current Rand to a young adult- post puberty... in this case puberty is dealing with learning that he can channel, will not go totally bonkers, has three wife-types, and is responsible for saving the world. Not to shabby.:)

Icon
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't really like the new Rand yet. We'll see what it's like when we get his POVs in AMOL. Rand was always my favorite charater, craziness and all, mostly because he was so flawed, and he was struggling so much to make things work. This new rand seems written like an altogether different person. I understand the need for him to not be crazy anymore, but the who Jesus thing is like the other extreme.

Ancalagon
12-14-2010, 05:09 AM
I like JesusRand because it shows that sheer brute force is not the way to defeat the DO. He previously thought that all he needed was the Choeden Kal, but realized they were no good after all. His new "nature" is now a far more powerful tool, offering protection from the DO's influence.

final death
04-21-2011, 10:35 PM
My favorite Rand was definitely dark rand if only for his ability to make people think he stop their hearts if he simply willed it so. Scaring cadsuane was hilarious and she had it coming. I for one would have killed cadsuane for all the pain and trouble and slaps she gave me, if i was rand that is.