PDA

View Full Version : Amys

tiredofbuttons
12-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Why does she have somewhat of the ageless look to her? I haven't seen any of the other wise-ones that do. If so please tell me where. I've just reread the series looking for any others and I didn't notice any (but I could have missed it while reading on ambien trying to sleep).

Did she take oaths? Dark ones? This has bothered me forever. She has never had a POV either has she? Is there other evidence for or against her?

I noticed it years ago, but didn't want it to be the case so I ignored it I guess. I'm getting more and more curious though.

Toss the dice
12-02-2010, 01:51 PM
As far as I can understand it, she tends to seem more "ageless" than other Wise Ones, due to a combination of her unusual white hair (her natural hair color) and smooth cheeks. She is only what like 40 yrs old or so? The fact that she is indeed young for a channeler, with the smooth cheeks - added to her white hair (typically associated with old people), gives the effect that Amys is somewhat more ageless-appearing than other Wise Ones.

The other Wise Ones have the smooth cheeks as well, but don't have the jarring white hair to provide the unusual contrast.

Dexterryu
12-02-2010, 02:35 PM
I think that it also might be some change in how RJ decided what the ageless effect came from. We now know that it comes from the Oath Rod... however early books it is explained as a side effect of a long time working in the power.

The best example I can think of for this change is in The Great Hunt when the group with Verin ran into an Aiel. He immediately identified her as a Wise One because of her face.

tiredofbuttons
12-02-2010, 03:00 PM
I think that it also might be some change in how RJ decided what the ageless effect came from. We now know that it comes from the Oath Rod... however early books it is explained as a side effect of a long time working in the power.

The best example I can think of for this change is in The Great Hunt when the group with Verin ran into an Aiel. He immediately identified her as a Wise One because of her face.

I thought this as well, but the difference persists even in TOM. Are any other Wise Ones or even the Knitting Circle described as ageless? As far as I have found only Amys is outside of the norm. It is really weird.

edit:

I take it back. From ToM: "Amys' face was silky smooth, an effect of being able to channel. Her face was not ageless.."

So there goes that curiosity. Thank goodness!