PDA

View Full Version : Returning after many years

What Martyn Did
12-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I should introduce myself. I was once called Deornoth, although some (Dragon Thief) always called me Aram. I left about 10 years ago, shortly after my first child was born.

I love what Tamyrlin has done with the place.

I've been lurking for a few months, trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

I guess I'll see you all around.

GonzoTheGreat
12-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Welcome back.

Did you ever post on ezBoard, or have you missed that episode entirely?

Isabel
12-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Welcome ;) I heard your name before.

What Martyn Did
12-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Welcome back.

Did you ever post on ezBoard, or have you missed that episode entirely?

Thanks Gonzo. I did, yeah! I remember ezBoard. I remember hamsters running things, all that good stuff. Or was that before ezBoard? I was around for two or three moves, overall. It's coming back a little at a time...I'm still waiting for my epiphany on the mount.

Welcome I heard your name before.

Thank you Isabel. Good to be back.
The early flame wars were intense, but I usually kept a Gray-Ajah look on things, so I never really got scorched.

DahLliA
12-03-2010, 11:32 AM
you were before my time, but welcome back !

Sarevok
12-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Welcome to TL, What Martyn Did! :D

Uh... do we abbreviate that to WMD? :eek:

What Martyn Did
12-03-2010, 01:34 PM
do we abbreviate that to WMD?

Sure, or anything except Aram...he was a tool, and only a little more interesting insane than before.

Uno
12-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Good god! It's Aram. What's with the new daft name?

Belazamon
12-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Howdy! I actually don't know if we crossed paths before you vanished, but I've heard stories. Most of them involving shrooms, if I remember correctly.

Terez
12-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Shrooms are good fun.

What Martyn Did
12-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Good god! It's who?. What's with the new daft name?
Cordial as ever, Uno. It's a play on several things. I see you're doing well for yourself in TL.

Howdy! I actually don't know if we crossed paths before you vanished, but I've heard stories. Most of them involving shrooms, if I remember correctly.
Yes, the shrooms had quite a long shelf life. I do remember you, Belazamon, unless it was someone with a similar name.

Belazamon
12-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Yes, the shrooms had quite a long shelf life. I do remember you, Belazamon, unless it was someone with a similar name.
Nope, I'm pretty singular. I just didn't remember if we actually interacted or if I just heard a lot about you. Anywho, welcome back.

Uno
12-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Belazamon is Bela, mighty leafblower, so you'll be more than familiar with him and his work.

Tamyrlin
12-04-2010, 10:50 PM
I should introduce myself. I was once called Deornoth, although some (Dragon Thief) always called me Aram. I left about 10 years ago, shortly after my first child was born.

I've been lurking for a few months, trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

Hey Deornoth - great to see you. For those of you noobs, here are a few links that might be helpful.

http://www.theoryland.com/chronicles.php?user=deornoth (really need to finish the redesign...)

And a fun history lesson...

"The Way of the Goat

There were many styles of posting on Theoryland, back in the fading year of 1999. There was the constant influx of newbies without style, of course, as there will always be. Yet the majority of posters had methods to their madness. Aram was devoted to the Way of the Leaf. He refused to attack other posters and their theories, but strove all the harder to prove his own ideas."

http://www.theoryland.com/history.php?page=flame_goat

Terez
12-04-2010, 10:56 PM
The Dark Goat Prophecy, the Peace of the Goat, and others all became common knowledge, to the sheer dread of the few remaining non-Goatfriends. ...Frenzy became more alarmed, and even Tamyrlin was rumored to have shown up on the boards, a rare occurrence in and of itself.
Good stuff.

Uno
12-05-2010, 12:29 AM
You had to dig up that goat thing, didn't you? Good grief, man, it's more than 11 years ago. Not exactly sure who wrote it way back when. Frenzy says DT or Goldeneyes. I think DT, as it postdates Goldylock's active involvement at Theoryland, but maybe someone else remembers.

Belazamon
12-05-2010, 02:04 AM
It occurs to me that Sodas has rediscovered the Way of the Goat these days. ;)

Uno
12-05-2010, 02:16 AM

Well, the Wheel Turns, and that, I suppose. Bound to happen, really.

Belazamon
12-05-2010, 02:17 AM
So long as we don't get any more Goatfriends.

Uno
12-05-2010, 02:19 AM
So long as we don't get any more Goatfriends.

You know, I rather think we have a few of those, judging by recent debates.

Belazamon
12-05-2010, 02:29 AM
You know, I rather think we have a few of those, judging by recent debates.
Okay, amendment: so long as it doesn't become a Movement.

GonzoTheGreat
12-05-2010, 04:55 AM
I think that the Way of the Goat involves "not moving from your position", so it could hardly become a movement, now could it?

Terez
12-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Somehow I'm willing to bet that Uno's arguments were more articulate.

Daekyras
12-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Are you a Tad Williams fan by any chance?

I'm not sure about this but I must have joined or lurked on theoryland longer than I thought because I remember the way of the goat debates and the flame wars that went with them but I could have sworn i only started coming here in 2001 or so.

My God, they didn't go on for 2 YEARS did they?

Terez
12-05-2010, 11:06 AM
You probably just remember reading people talking about; we Theorylanders have a tendency to pretend like things that happened back in the day were important and talk about them a lot.

ShadowbaneX
12-05-2010, 11:31 AM
And the Wheel spins out another Hero, reborn in a new Age.

Heya Martyn! I too remember seeing your name in the past...although I got to the forums later then most in the early days, so you probably have no idea who I am. It's good to see you back on the boards though!

Frenzy
12-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Hi Deornoth. Missed you. Welcome back, and glad you're doing well.

Birgitte
12-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Welcome back! I'm gonna go with WMD, if you don't mind. It seems the most fun (well, other than Aram because you dislike that one, but I feel like it's rude to antagonize people before you've actually had a conversation with them).

Uno
12-05-2010, 05:50 PM

I'm not sure about this but I must have joined or lurked on theoryland longer than I thought because I remember the way of the goat debates and the flame wars that went with them but I could have sworn i only started coming here in 2001 or so.

The Way of the Goat thing was a humorous back-and-forth on the messageboards for about two weeks, I'd say. That's all there was to it, regardless of the impression you get from DT's little story. There was no flame war or anything like that at all, because no one was silly enough to take it seriously, apart from possibly DT himself, who out of the blue became the prophet.

Hopper
12-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Martyn -

Welcome back you old goat kisser. How's the family?

You do realize I have YOU to blame for getting me into this whole Wheel of Time thing, right? I still remember the get together on the Cape when you lent me EotW.

Frenzy
12-06-2010, 12:19 AM
So Dapple knows who to blame, eh? :p

What Martyn Did
12-06-2010, 08:43 AM

Good catch on the Tad Williams thing. Yes, it was that Deornoth. But I loved his Otherland series even more.

Two years sounds about right.

What Martyn Did
12-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Welcome back you old goat kisser. How's the family?

You do realize I have YOU to blame for getting me into this whole Wheel of Time thing, right? I still remember the get together on the Cape when you lent me EotW.

Hey there, J. The family is great thanks. Wife says "hi".

I sent you a personal msg, Hopper, so if you didn't get it, then I fargen-hosed it. Let me know.

I have a pic of you and RJ and a bunch of TL'ers, but aside from you and Mr. Jordan, I don't remember who's who.

So Dapple knows who to blame, eh?

Sorry, Frenzy. He was an easy target.

What Martyn Did
12-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks everyone, it's good to be back. I'm glad see from the "Moiraine's Rescue" threads that motherhood hasn't changed the feminazi too much.

I thought I remembered ShadowbaneX, but too much lurking is confusing who was around way back then.

ShadowbaneX
12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, it's possible. I joined the forums in June of 2000 just after we moved to EZBoard (which I think was hamster free, save for a couple of monster attacks in it's later years). That said, I was active on the main site, theories and the like, since the site first started. Or it's the lurking. Who knows?

Hopper
12-12-2010, 12:33 PM
I sent you a personal msg, Hopper, so if you didn't get it, then I fargen-hosed it. Let me know.

You fargen hosed it.

Nazbaque
02-06-2011, 09:49 AM
The Naz is back welcome number 40:

Welcome back WMD!

You may call me Naz!

*Sets himself on fire*

Blood and bloody ashes my fingers are starting to hurt.