PDA

View Full Version : Black Tower and a DreamSpike

melville
12-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but in Chapter 47, while Perrin is going to Caemlyn he mentions planning on investigating why one can not travel to the Black Tower. My memory says that we do not here of Grady trying to go while in Caemlyn.
I put this chapter about a week and a half before Perrin goes to the Fields of Merilor unless my vague time line is all wrong.

skaywalker
12-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Well, there's that:

Grady came last. The man wore a neatly pressed black coat, his Dedi-cated pin polished and gleaming on the high collar. He immediately looked westward, toward the Black Tower. He'd tried to make a gateway there earlier in the day, when Perrin had given him permission. It hadn't worked. Perrin was disturbed by that. He intended to investigate soon, tonight or tomorrow night at the latest.

morat'corlm
12-08-2010, 04:37 AM
One can only hope that this and the rest of the 18½ Day Gap are filled in during AMOL.

Or not, since that leaves us with less time post-Merrilor.

skaywalker
12-08-2010, 04:43 AM
This moment is 18½ days before Merrilor? :eek: Wow, and here I thought that it was only 2-3 days. Oh, well... I really need an official timeline.

morat'corlm
12-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Not quite, but by my count it was 17 days between then and his next appearance. Rand might fit 18½ days better, between Tear and Maradon.

I was just using it as a term for the giant hole in the middle of my timeline (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApFWTyzG9G_UdHZCUjQzVGNLeUJyMkUycXkzQlExS FE&output=html) in general, playing on the "18½ Minute Gap" in the Nixon Watergate tapes.

skaywalker
12-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Ah I see. But then again the hole in your timeline is 18 days :D Soo, Brandon has a lot of explanations to give.

melville
12-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Ah I see. But then again the hole in your timeline is 18 days :D Soo, Brandon has a lot of explanations to give.

Mine was 10-15 days. If the time lines for TGS get modified as I expect they will, It could be only 8-10 days or I could be way off. I keep forgetting a little over two weeks is almost a month since a month is 28 days and a little over 2 weeks 22 to 24 days.

subwoofer
12-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Mine was 10-15 days. If the time lines for TGS get modified as I expect they will, It could be only 8-10 days or I could be way off. I keep forgetting a little over two weeks is almost a month since a month is 28 days and a little over 2 weeks 22 to 24 days.

What? Is this the wonky week conversion with WoT? Any way you slice it, Perrin's timeline is behind everyone else. Not really sure how it works but Perrin is on the Field now. But there is still a gap there. Wish this site (http://stevenac.net/wot/wotchron.htm) would update as well.

melville
12-08-2010, 04:01 PM
What? Is this the wonky week conversion with WoT?

Well, it is different. A week is 10 days in WOT. A month is 28 days so 3 weeks is over a month.

subwoofer
12-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Right... so this is a week and a half that is unaccounted for in Randland time? Who came up with this plan? Are the days at least 24 hours? IIRC there is still only one sun in the sky too...

FelixPax
12-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Right... so this is a week and a half that is unaccounted for in Randland time? Who came up with this plan? Are the days at least 24 hours? IIRC there is still only one sun in the sky too...

#1 -- To attempt to answer your 1st bolded question, yes the planet which Randlands exists upon is most likely an "Earth (http://idealseek.no-ip.com/IdealSeek.cgi?q=earth&t=0&c=0&p=0&d=3)" clone.

Meaning it's assumed that this clone "Earth" has a 24 hour period each day, too. I do not recall any RJ interview quotes, Glossary definitions nor BWB text entries disputing this idea that 24 hours in WoT series equals a Day.

#2 -- Yes, there's only one Sun... but the Moon shines light down upon the land when the Sun is elsewhere. Likewise the guiding "Red Star" shines light upon the Moon in the starry skies above (See tEotW, Ch. 20 'Dust on the Wind').

New Futurist Man
12-09-2010, 04:25 AM
According to WoT Wiki the basics of the Farede calendar are as follows:

-There are 28 days to each month.
-There are thirteen months in each year – thus making 364 days
-Some days are not part of any month and so are additional to the 364 days
-The first of these is Sunday, the longest day of the year – making a total of 365 days in a year
-The second is that of the Feast of Thanksgiving, celebrated on the spring equinox once every four years. This brings the total number of days to 365.25
-The third is that of the Feast of All Soul’s Salvation, celebrated once every ten years on the autumn equinox. This brings the total number of days to 365.35.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Calendar#New_Era_.28NE.29

subwoofer
12-09-2010, 09:53 AM
According to WoT Wiki the basics of the Farede calendar are as follows:

-There are 28 days to each month.
-There are thirteen months in each year – thus making 364 days
-Some days are not part of any month and so are additional to the 364 days
-The first of these is Sunday, the longest day of the year – making a total of 365 days in a year
-The second is that of the Feast of Thanksgiving, celebrated on the spring equinox once every four years. This brings the total number of days to 365.25
-The third is that of the Feast of All Soul’s Salvation, celebrated once every ten years on the autumn equinox. This brings the total number of days to 365.35.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Calendar#New_Era_.28NE.29

Wow. Impressive. RJ really took some serious time to world build if he created his own calendar. Dunno, I have been following this series since the beginning and this totally flew past my radar. Gonna take me some time to wrap my head around it but that still leaves some time unaccounted for with Perrin. Thanks folks:)