PDA

View Full Version : Significant unresolved plot points

Glen
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
OK, a number of plot points have been resolved as of the ToM, but there are a few points that seem to still be floating, unresolved. I figured it would be nice to gather them all together for discussion.

By "significant unresolved plot points", I mean things that have been strongly foreshadowed or indicated through prophecy, or that most people expect will have to happen before the bore is sealed, but which have yet to pass, and seem to have almost disappeared from the story (things that look like they're about to happen, such as Moiraine doing something to help Rand, are not unresolved, merely incomplete).

So I'll begin with a few notable examples.

The Tuatha'an and their search for the song. The last time we saw the Tuatha'an was quite a while ago, in KoD, where they seemed to be heading south, to the Seanchan-held lands. While there might be some speculation that, for instance, the Ogier of the Seanchan know the song, it is nothing more than speculation, whereas most people expect that the Song will be important in the Last Battle.

The Ogier themselves - last time we saw them properly was in KoD, when Rand drops Loial and his mother and elder at Stedding Shangtai. We know from the start of ToM that Loial does get to address the Stump, as the last speaker. But Ogier seem to have disappeared from the actual story. Most people expect them to play a role in the Last Battle - indeed, we can be confident that they do, since Loial does continue to exist in "Randland" after the Last Battle in order to write his book.

Logain's "glory" - Min has seen it repeatedly, but so far all we have is Logain's mysterious absence from the Black Tower. Last we saw him was in the tGS prologue. Logain's glory will almost certainly be relevant to the Last Battle, but he has disappeared.

Alanna's disappearance - all we know is that she went somewhere around Arafel just before Rand returned to Tear early in ToM. This has to be significant, but whether it's a positive or negative isn't even certain. I note that Alanna travelled "far north", and then to Tear the next day, in the middle of KoD. While this is usually taken to mean she went to Cairhien, it's possible that there's a connection between these two trips by Alanna.

Alivia - last seen in tGS, in Bandar Eban. We know she will "help Rand die"... but her only real role in the story so far has been to participate in the Cleansing as a protector who faces Lanfear/Cyndane.

Each of these really needs to be at least partially resolved before the Last Battle can commence. Given that the main storylines seem to all be converging on the event on the Fields of Merrilor, and many expect Rand to break the seals and start the Last Battle at that event, there's not much time for these to be resolved.

Are there other such unresolved issues? Things that clearly won't fall into the "incomplete threads" that RJ planned to leave hanging at the end of the series? Or perhaps have I misinterpreted one of the ones above?

subwoofer
12-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Well, now I'm going to have to look up the quote in Terez's database, but I do believe there is a quote somewhere's with RJ saying that the Ogier from Randland will meet up with the Seanchan Ogier, dunno if they fight, but I do believe that RJ didn't forget them.
- ::goes to tackle the monster that is 13D::

subwoofer
12-09-2010, 10:46 AM
::Tap tap::

Is this thing on?

Q31: Do Seanchan Ogier have the Longing?

RJ: The longing is an effect of being separated from the stedding for a long time during the Breaking. At the parts that later became the Seanchan empire, there were many more stedding. So they were not separated from the stedding for so long.

Q32: Will there ever be a confrontation between the Seanchan Ogier and the other Ogier?

RJ: They will meet.

-13D DragonCon '05 report.

Daekyras
12-09-2010, 03:42 PM
::Tap tap::
Is this thing on?

yo hit me with that triple h....fond memories....

NaeffOfDreams
12-10-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't think "The Song" exists. I've always read it as an idealized longing for a past that the Tuatha'an do not remember. It's unfortunate, yet ironic, that the modern Aiel chiefs and Wise Ones know more of their Breaking-era history, and could share ancestral songs with the Lost Ones if they could just get past their disdain. "The Song" as a game-changing ideal is just a distorted story, not unlike ji'e'toh and so many other things in this series. We've seen time and time again Jordan making use of the theme of degradation of information with distance and/or time. This is just another unfortunate case. Singing at the Last Battle will have about as much effect as it had at Tzora against Jaric Mondoran. (TSR Ch 26 Jonai POV)

Also, unless there are some budding genetics students at the BT or the Academy, there won't be any more Nym for a very long time, if ever. Someshta is gone, with a giant oak tree growing over the place where its body fell. There is nothing left to Heal. Just my .02 for what it's worth.

morat'corlm
12-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Considering how much into the seed-singing ceremonies Lews Therin was, he might very well know how to manufacture a Nym. It's also possible that Min's viewing of "trees, growing green again, bearing fruit. I see a field, the crops healthy and full." relates to that rather than post-Tarmon Gai'don restoration in general.

SixPips
12-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't think "The Song" exists. I've always read it as an idealized longing for a past that the Tuatha'an do not remember. It's unfortunate, yet ironic, that the modern Aiel chiefs and Wise Ones know more of their Breaking-era history, and could share ancestral songs with the Lost Ones if they could just get past their disdain. "The Song" as a game-changing ideal is just a distorted story, not unlike ji'e'toh and so many other things in this series. We've seen time and time again Jordan making use of the theme of degradation of information with distance and/or time. This is just another unfortunate case. Singing at the Last Battle will have about as much effect as it had at Tzora against Jaric Mondoran. (TSR Ch 26 Jonai POV)

Also, unless there are some budding genetics students at the BT or the Academy, there won't be any more Nym for a very long time, if ever. Someshta is gone, with a giant oak tree growing over the place where its body fell. There is nothing left to Heal. Just my .02 for what it's worth.

I agree with this whole-heartedly. Another prime example is the Amayar practicing the Water-Way, and killing themselves shortly after the usage of the Choden Kal to cleanse the Source. There are many outdated belief systems that people hold to in the series and one of the biggest ones is still the antagonistic view towards men who can Channel.

If there was any point I would want solidly resolved by the end of the series, I would want the women to treat the men with respect, and vice versa. The biggest issue in Randland for channellers right now is their inability to work and mesh together with any form of cogent sensibility.

Not to be a bashing rant, we have enough of those, but it has to come a long way on the women's side for this to occur.

GonzoTheGreat
12-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Actually, the channelers in Perrin's Party are working quite effectively in that direction.

subwoofer
12-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Actually, the channelers in Perrin's Party are working quite effectively in that direction.
Well- some of them are... I thought the actual Sisters were ornery unless the Wise Ones use some persuasion and it is the Wise Ones and Kin that do most of the teamwork with the Asha'man.
I agree with this whole-heartedly. Another prime example is the Amayar practicing the Water-Way, and killing themselves shortly after the usage of the Choden Kal to cleanse the Source. There are many outdated belief systems that people hold to in the series and one of the biggest ones is still the antagonistic view towards men who can Channel.

If there was any point I would want solidly resolved by the end of the series, I would want the women to treat the men with respect, and vice versa. The biggest issue in Randland for channellers right now is their inability to work and mesh together with any form of cogent sensibility.

Exactly. I think we are seeing the start of this. For thousands of years, working with men that can channel was unheard of as the men are destined to go cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Putting all those prejudices and stigmas aside right away is tough. The bonding of the Sisters to Asha'man and vice versa is a beginning of sorts. Now if they willingly channel together without a modified Warder-bond, that would be nice. I think the busting out of the Black Tower is going to be a big watershed moment for that.

subwoofer
12-11-2010, 10:14 AM
yo hit me with that triple h....fond memories....

LOL:D

Oh you didn't know?!