PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished TWOK (spoilers)

Nafro
12-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I just finished reading TWOK and all I can say is "Wow". I can honestly say I enjoyed reading this book more than I enjoyed TEotW when I first read it. I can't believe I am going to say this, but I think I am actually more excited for Stormlight number 2 than I am for AMoL. Please don't shoot me. Anyway, here are some thoughts/theories I had on the book.

-The way Kaladin's flashbacks were interspersed throughout the book leading up to the one about Tien's death was excellent.

- There is something major brewing about why Shallan/Kaladin see spren with their abilities and Jasnah/Szeth do not. I even think that Nohadon said something about this in one of Dalinar's visions. Something about the lack of honor spren.

- Something is off with the shards that people are using. Why does Syl mention that she likes Dalinar better now that he got rid of his blade? Are the shards somehow tainted and thats why the Knights Radiant abandonned them? Are they shards taken from Voidbringers, ie that is how the Parshendi have shards?

- Elhokar can see the same spren as Shallan. Does that mean that he can also Soulcast?

- What did Gavilar give Szeth? Are the most important words a man can speak the four oaths of the Knights Radiant?

Terez
12-13-2010, 01:00 PM
There is something major brewing about why Shallan/Kaladin see spren with their abilities and Jasnah/Szeth do not.
I'm not so sure about this, particularly Shallan/Jasnah. Shallan can only 'see' her spren (not honorspren, apparently) by drawing them. Elhokar can only see them in mirrors.

I even think that Nohadon said something about this in one of Dalinar's visions. Something about the lack of honor spren.
IIRC, he said something like 'Alas, not all spren are as discerning as honorspren', seeming to imply that the 'Nahel bond' of a particular surgebinder involved some other sort of spren.

Why does Syl mention that she likes Dalinar better now that he got rid of his blade? Are the shards somehow tainted and thats why the Knights Radiant abandonned them? Are they shards taken from Voidbringers, ie that is how the Parshendi have shards?
The translation of Navani's notebook shows that the fabrials operate by enslaving spren within them.

Nafro
12-13-2010, 02:46 PM
The translation of Navani's notebook shows that the fabrials operate by enslaving spren within them.

Where did you see this? Was it in one of the pictures? I can't believe I missed it.

Terez
12-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Where did you see this? Was it in one of the pictures? I can't believe I missed it.
Here (http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=7882.0).

fiveAM
12-16-2010, 09:57 PM
- Something is off with the shards that people are using. Why does Syl mention that she likes Dalinar better now that he got rid of his blade? Are the shards somehow tainted and thats why the Knights Radiant abandonned them? Are they shards taken from Voidbringers, ie that is how the Parshendi have shards?

First off i would agree with you that The Way of Kings was an amazing read. I think by far better than his Mistborn series, he had some similiar themes and images/characters, but the way he used them and presented the materials was much better, Sanderson is definitely getting better.

You bring an interesting point there about the shardblades and their possible taint or so. But i think Syl just sensed the change in Dalinar when he finally made those decisions, not being hesitant but going ahead with pursuing his goals. BUt i can see what mean about the taint, in Dalinar's flashbacks, the shardblades and plates had odd symbols and lights on, but not anymore. Maybe the Shards are sleeping?(put to sleep by the Radiants because the Voidbringers had left) or maybe done so by the Voidbringers themselves.

Terez
12-17-2010, 11:06 AM
The Shardblades still have glyphs on them - or at least, Elhokar's does - but they don't glow any more. Probably has something to do with a spren bond.

Nafro
12-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Terez, you seem to already have immense knowledge on The Way of Kings. I'd like to know what your thoughts/opinions are of the book.

Bane Darkwulf
07-09-2011, 08:05 PM
And I think BS is getting a feel for epic story lines from WOT.

I think the reason why Syl liked him better after he got rid of the Shardblade is because he made a promise to get the other high prince one. Since they couldn't capture one, the next best thing to do would be to give his up, showing everyone that he honors his commitments and his word is his bond.

Enigma
07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
I think the reason why Syl liked him better after he got rid of the Shardblade is because he made a promise to get the other high prince one. Since they couldn't capture one, the next best thing to do would be to give his up, showing everyone that he honors his commitments and his word is his bond.

Yet Syl described the Shardblade as 'thing' and she said that it felt wrong to her. That suggests that she has a problem with the weapon itself and not that she was happy simply because he kept the promice.

We know that a lot of soldiers seem to feel the thrill when they go into battle and the more the high prince moved towards the codes the less he felt that thrill. The way I read it was that the thrill was a method used by Odium to encourage distructive behavour in humans. A bit like giving out free drugs every time you killed someone. Perhaps the shardblades also help Odium even if they were once used to oppose him

Uno
07-13-2012, 01:30 PM
I picked up a copy of Way of Kings a few weeks ago, mostly because I had a nine hour layover at Heathrow and having a 1,200 page book seemed like a good idea. I liked it a lot, though the lengthy shardblade scenes got a bit tedious, and the first scene with the assassin probably wasn't the best way to introduce the subject matter.

It's pretty hard to read about Dalinar without thinking of Ned Stark, but that's ok.

Cortar
07-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I see what you mean about the similarities between Ned and dalinar, the noble fighter lord is a pretty common trope, but to me hey are pretty different: Ned was always he noble guy, but dalinar is like what would have happened if Robert decided to be like Ned later in life

Frenzy
12-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Ok I just finished tWoK. It took a while because I put it down about halfway thru a few months ago. But now i'm done, and the end was worth the slog thru it.

(aside:One of the downsides of reading it on my Kindle, though, is it's hard to thumb thru it to check on stuff.)

So the king in Kharbranth sent Szeth to kill a bunch of people. Then at the end sent him to kill Dalinar because Dalinar had become a problem.

How did he know Dalinar had become a problem?

Sarevok
12-09-2012, 03:53 PM
How did he know Dalinar had become a problem?

He has a spy in Dalinar's army who informed him via spanreed?