PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hawking tried to turn WoT into Fact

SixPips
12-14-2010, 07:46 AM
I have just recently read a copy of Stephen Hawking's new book "The Grand Design" and was stunned to see that the man essentially tried to use metaphysics to say that the Wheel of Time is factual.

In his book he talks about there being no beginnings or endings (sound familiar?) to the universe, that the universe is actually a multiverse, with different planes of existance where every possible scenario of every possible interaction of every possible molecule occurs, spinning off a new one universe every time an exchange of energy happens. (Sounds like Portal Worlds to me.)

Hawking also contends that the Universal Timeline is Cyclic, that time expands all the Universes of the Multiverse and that after a while (trillions of trillions of years) each universe's expanding speed slows, then stops, then contracts. He contends that eventually this contraction of the universe and the slowing itself are due to the gravitational pull of all matter, and that this will inevitably lead to all the universe's collapsing on themselves, then Banging out into another universe.

This all sounds as if he read the Wheel of Time while he was doing some heavy drugs and decided "That Robert Jordan cat might be onto something!" I only wonder if he can be slapped with a plagiarism lawsuit for claiming copywrighted fiction as fact.:cool:

Weird Harold
12-14-2010, 08:01 AM
In his book he talks about there being no beginnings or endings (sound familiar?) to the universe, that the universe is actually a multiverse, with different planes of existance where every possible scenario of every possible interaction of every possible molecule occurs, spinning off a new one universe every time an exchange of energy happens. (Sounds like Portal Worlds to me.)

Hawking also contends that the Universal Timeline is Cyclic, ...

Old news -- except that Hawkings has come down on the side of cyclic over ever-expanding on the expansion question. The WOT isn't Cyclic, it is Circular and that is a huge difference in terms of how the universe works.

The multi-verse stuff is so old it wasn't even a new idea when RJ was a working physicist.

fionwe1987
12-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Ummm... its more the other way around.

It isn't like these theories weren't around before. RJ, as a physicist, was aware of them, and their similarity to Eastern myths (The Tao of Physics even discusses these similarities in detail). While before, there was less evidence for concepts like "sum over history", there is more now, and Hawking has just lent his support to these ideas. There isn't anything terribly new in what you listed.

SixPips
12-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Makes sense, hadn't considered the far reaching implications of RJ's background. I also should have known better than to think that because someone puts out a book with "New" ideas and information it was actually new.

Weird Harold
12-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Makes sense, hadn't considered the far reaching implications of RJ's background. I also should have known better than to think that because someone puts out a book with "New" ideas and information it was actually new.
I'm sure there are new things in his latest book, but things like the basic multi-verse concept are old enough I'm pretty sure one of my Asimov's Essays anthologies is dedicated to a layman's/Pop Science explanation of the idea. -- Isaac Asimov wrote a regular series of popular science essays for Astounding and later for Asimov's science fiction magazine from the mid-fifites to the late seventies.

Yellowbeard
12-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Hawking...this age's incarnation of the Ishamael/Moridin soul!

Sei'taer
12-14-2010, 02:49 PM
He's related to Artur Paendrag Hawking so it makes sense.