PDA

View Full Version : I thought that cover looked familiar...

Belazamon
12-21-2010, 06:36 PM
The Wheel of Time turns, and Covers come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Cover that gave it birth comes again...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/jalapenoguy/WoTRPG.jpg http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/jalapenoguy/towers-of-midnight.jpg

I'd completely forgotten about the existence of the WoTRPG until I did a Google search for "Trollocs."

(Apologies if this was already mentioned, I only did a quick archive skim.)

Terez
12-21-2010, 06:43 PM
lmao. And how old is the RPG one?

Belazamon
12-21-2010, 06:47 PM
2001, according to Amazon.

Kimon
12-21-2010, 06:56 PM
lmao. And how old is the RPG one?

I'm just trying to figure out what the scene even is. It's obviously Loial, and the other guy looks like Mat (at least I assume that is supposed to be an odd looking ashandarei, albeit looking here more like a guisarme than a naginata), and I think the third must be Moiraine. But if so Mat shouldn't yet have the ashandarei, since the trip through the Waygate was long before Rhuidean, which at least would account for why Mat (if that is Mat) doesn't yet have Kadere's hat. Or am I completely wrong, and is the guy supposed to be Perrin (with a funky pole-axe), and the girl Faile?

Edit: Might the guy be Gaul? I suppose that weapon might make more sense as a Aiel spear than as a pole-axe, and the guy does look to have slightly red hair. Of course, in that case the clothing choice would be decidedly odd, and un-Aielish.

Belazamon
12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Edit: Might the guy be Gaul? I suppose that weapon might make more sense as a Aiel spear than as a pole-axe, and the guy does look to have slightly red hair. Of course, in that case the clothing choice would be decidedly odd, and un-Aielish.
Yeah, it's Gaul - it's from when he, Alanna, and Loial went up to Manetheren to seal the Waygate and prevent more Trollocs from coming into the Two Rivers.

What's that, you say? Alanna didn't go with them to the Waygate? Clearly you're misremembering things.

Kimon
12-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Yeah, it's Gaul - it's from when he, Alanna, and Loial went up to Manetheren to seal the Waygate and prevent more Trollocs from coming into the Two Rivers.

What's that, you say? Alanna didn't go with them to the Waygate? Clearly you're misremembering things.

Interesting. So apparently in addition to Alanna's presence- those are the artist's representation of cadin'sor (unless Gaul is assumed to have gone in disguise as a Two Rivers local- which for all I know he might have, as I always skipped the Perrin chapters during rereads), Alanna doesn't look very Japanese (or at least that's always the way that I've pictured her), and those are the ruins of Manetheren in the background, of which I seem to recall reading that nothing should remain.

Belazamon
12-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Interesting. So apparently in addition to Alanna's presence- those are the artist's representation of cadin'sor (unless Gaul is assumed to have gone in disguise as a Two Rivers local- which for all I know he might have, as I always skipped the Perrin chapters during rereads), Alanna doesn't look very Japanese (or at least that's always the way that I've pictured her), and those are the ruins of Manetheren in the background, of which I seem to recall reading that nothing should remain.
Kidding aside, I'd assume it's supposed to be a representation of a random party of PCs in the context of the RPG.

Tower of Ghanja
12-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Man, Sweet sucks. The only consistent thing about his "art".

Weird Harold
12-21-2010, 07:29 PM

The spear has tassles and the only spear I can recall with tassels is the Seanchan spear Rand uses (used) as the Dragon Scepter -- Rand, Loial and Moiraine opening a Waygate.

Another possibility is Perrin, Faile and Loial headed for the Two Rivers -- that's pretty poor excuse for a depiction of Perrin's battle axe, if it is, but it is a cover by Sweet. :rolleyes:

morat'corlm
12-21-2010, 07:47 PM
That red cape obviously makes the man Valan Luca.

And the Ogier seems to be wearing a sword...

Tower of Ghanja
12-21-2010, 07:59 PM
But now I have "macrocephalic Ogier" as today's mantra...

Go on, say it, it's fun!

morat'corlm
12-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Actually the man's face seems to be Aram's, and the red cape and green sash do come closer to Tinker clothing than Aiel:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/jalapenoguy/WoTRPG.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z8dxEA1RDec/TH26MfzR4II/AAAAAAAAAxY/0qci4X7vkd0/s1600/knife+of+dreams.jpg
But the spear is almost a dead ringer for Sweet's early rendering of the ashandarei (plus tassels):
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SniTwfm5BwE/S9c1zKrqHQI/AAAAAAAACVY/DYq_wXuSX4s/s1600/Towers+of+Midnight+USA.jpg=&h=444&w=300

Terez
12-21-2010, 08:12 PM
That is Gaul, not Aram. (And before you ask, it's a belt knife.)

Rand al'Fain
12-21-2010, 08:16 PM
That is Gaul, not Aram. (And before you ask, it's a belt knife.)

Never thought that Gaul, or any Aiel for that matter, would be so pudgy looking.

morat'corlm
12-21-2010, 08:20 PM
That is Gaul, not Aram. (And before you ask, it's a belt knife.)Really?! Wow, I learn something new every day.

So I guess it is Gaul on the RPG cover then. Though with that clothing... maybe the woman is Bain or Chiad. :rolleyes:

dpt24
12-21-2010, 08:33 PM
So if that's Gaul, then the women really is Faile, and that scene must be them leaving for the Two Rivers from Tear...

Terez
12-21-2010, 08:34 PM
No, the woman is Galina.

Edit: I realize you meant the other cover now. Like Bela said, it's for an RPG world - it doesn't have to represent any real scene in the series, or any real characters. The Ogier need not even be Loial.

dpt24
12-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Oh... that women on the KoD cover's Galina??? I thought she didn't look like for Belerain... but then Sweet's covers are so awful I gave up trying to decide what scene the covers were supposed to be by Fires of Heaven.... Yeah... that's true...the RPG doesn't have to represent anything in particular (since some book covers don't).

GonzoTheGreat
12-22-2010, 04:06 AM
Maybe it's not an Ogier but a Trolloc?

Landro
12-22-2010, 04:42 AM
2001, according to Amazon.

My copy of the book agrees with that :)

I bought it but never managed to find a group of WoT-fans to play a campaign. There's some good stuff in there like a mechanism to let people have "normal" armor classes (Normal as compared to regular 3rd edition D&D) and the campaign lets the players follow an adventure that runs parallel to the story from the books while giving the players the idea that they actually help the main plot of the books. The downside of this campaign is that it provides the players with the chance to kill important secondary characters. (A Whitecloak DF springs to mind)

The system also has some other bad stuff like the way they use to measure strength in the OP and the idea that Accepted are free to join adventuring parties. The book has some information that's wrong. For example, the writers failed to understand why Suian and Leanne were only partially healed.

Weird Harold
12-22-2010, 04:53 AM
The system also has some other bad stuff like the way they use to measure strength in the OP ...

Just out of curiosity, how does the RPG measure strength in the OP?

CreationEdge
12-22-2010, 07:05 AM
You can gain levels, like Mage's or Wizards in D&D.
But you have Initiates (either Asha'Man or Aes Sedai initiates, AKA Dedicated/Acccepted or full AM/AS.)

But you also have Wilders, which have a slightly different leveling plan, IIRC. (I have no idea where my copy of the RPG.)

The more levels you gain, the more weaves you can learn to do, and the stronger you can do the ones you know.

Everyone pretty much gets equal treatment.

Weird Harold
12-22-2010, 07:17 AM
You can gain levels, like Mage's or Wizards in D&D.

The more levels you gain, the more weaves you can learn to do, and the stronger you can do the ones you know.

Thanks.

That doesn't sound too bad. it sounds like a fair compromise between the series requiring practice for actual strength to reach a Channeler's Full Potential and a gamer's need to advance in the game.

Landro
12-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Just out of curiosity, how does the RPG measure strength in the OP?

Strength in the OP has no direct effect at all on the strength of weaves. Shielding for example is only based on relative character level. Your strength in the OP is the sum of your Int, wis and Cha stats. Yes, all strong channelers are smart, wise and charismatic :)

Channeling in general works like it does for the sorcerer in D&D. You can cast a limited number of weaves for each weave level, modded by ability score, but you don't have to choose weaves in advance. Weaves can be cast at different levels of strength (like with psionics in D&D) so you can choose to weave Healing as a weave of level 0-8. The weave slot you use determines the strength of the effect. If you don't have a talent for the weave, you can still know it but are limited to level 0 (0-2 for wilders) You can learn new talents and some weaves can't be used below a certain level.

Weird Harold
12-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Strength in the OP has no direct effect at all on the strength of weaves. Shielding for example is only based on relative character level. Your strength in the OP is the sum of your Int, wis and Cha stats. Yes, all strong channelers are smart, wise and charismatic :)

Channeling in general works like it does for the sorcerer in D&D. You can cast a limited number of weaves for each weave level, modded by ability score, but you don't have to choose weaves in advance. Weaves can be cast at different levels of strength (like with psionics in D&D) so you can choose to weave Healing as a weave of level 0-8. The weave slot you use determines the strength of the effect. If you don't have a talent for the weave, you can still know it but are limited to level 0 (0-2 for wilders) You can learn new talents and some weaves can't be used below a certain level.
Ah, now that explanation does sound like they just renamed psionics with a couple of minor tweaks to avoid plagiarism charges. :(

But then I haven't played even D&D since 1980 or so -- My AD&D Dungeon Master's guide is a Dec 1979 revision (first hardbound printing, IIRC)

CreationEdge
12-22-2010, 07:50 AM
It was published by Wizards of the Coast, so... Probably not plagiarism. It was meant to be an easy transition from D&D to WoT.

Weird Harold
12-22-2010, 08:01 AM
It was published by Wizards of the Coast, so... Probably not plagiarism. It was meant to be an easy transition from D&D to WoT.
Wizard's of the Coast? All of my AD&D stuff is (C) TSR and Gary Gygax. :D

Landro
12-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Wizard's of the Coast? All of my AD&D stuff is (C) TSR and Gary Gygax. :D

WotC bought TSR with the money they made off M:tG

Weird Harold
12-22-2010, 08:21 AM
WotC bought TSR with the money they made off M:tG
Yeah, I know. Mostly because Gary had the business sense of a sidewalk lemonade salesman.

I think we've hijacked this thread enough though.

Belazamon
12-22-2010, 09:57 PM
I think we've hijacked this thread enough though.
You mean you've repurposed this thread for something related but different?

Nah, I think that's still in the spirit I started the thread. :D

Goldie
01-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know how it compares with the computer game? I just got a copy (I know, late to the party) and haven't installed it yet.

Any advice/warnings/hints?