PDA

View Full Version : That pesky Dreamspike

maacaroni
12-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Well, I've been a-thinking, the Seanchan want to travel to TarValon, do they not?

Wouldn't it be serendipitous if the dreamspike stopped them doing this and they had to Travel somewhere close, say, the fields of Merrilor?

Seems a very Ta'veren kind of occurence, dontchathink?

Thoughts?

Weird Harold
12-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Well, I've been a-thinking, the Seanchan want to travel to TarValon, do they not?

Wouldn't it be serendipitous if the dreamspike stopped them doing this and they had to Travel somewhere close, say, the fields of Merrilor?

Seems a very Ta'veren kind of occurence, dontchathink?

Thoughts?
The Timing is wrong unless the Dreamspike over the BT got moved in the gap in the timeline. the Dreamspike that blocked Mesaana's escape was destroyed and Egwene then was at tFoM in the Epilogue -- so that dreamspike can't cause a diversion and the other was last 'seen' at the BT. (and likely was destroyed by Perrin or Rand before the meeting a tFoM.)

Sukoto
12-22-2010, 07:18 PM
The Timing is wrong unless the Dreamspike over the BT got moved in the gap in the timeline. the Dreamspike that blocked Mesaana's escape was destroyed and Egwene then was at tFoM in the Epilogue -- so that dreamspike can't cause a diversion and the other was last 'seen' at the BT. (and likely was destroyed by Perrin or Rand before the meeting a tFoM.)

Speaking of Timing, since Myrelle and co. are camped right outside the BT, they ought to be within range of the dreamspike (I believe Perrin could leap about 4 leagues under the thing in TAR). That means the dreamspike wasn't placed at the BT until after Nynaeve visited Myrelle. But the Rebel Aes Sedai had been complaining that they had no news from their envoy to the BT for a long while. That makes no sense. At all. If Nynaeve was able to just Travel there, why wasn't there any news? Anyone could have gone to check on them.

The chronology is getting very weird. I have no idea where to even place the BT business in all of it. It bothers me.

Side note: Is Emarin actually the Tairen Lord Algarin?

Weird Harold
12-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Speaking of Timing, since Myrelle and co. are camped right outside the BT, they ought to be within range of the dreamspike (I believe Perrin could leap about 4 leagues under the thing in TAR). That means the dreamspike wasn't placed at the BT until after Nynaeve visited Myrelle. ...

Emarin probably is Algarin -- using the name of his deceased brother who died after being Gentled.

We don't know enough about Dreamspikes to say they all have the same range or even that the range isn't adjustable. If the range is adjustable then it would make sense to set to just cover the BT itself so as not to tip off the Aes Sedai camped outside the wall.

Nyneave apparently visited Myrelle to get Lan's Bond while Slayer's Dreamspike was in use trapping Perrin -- two or three days before it was destroyed. The first indication we have relative to the destruction of the first Dreamspike and definite knowledge of the BT Dreamspike is three to five days later around the time Elayne and Perrin resolve the "Lord of the Two Rivers" issue.

So, about five-ten days after Nyneave's visit before we know the BT dreamspike is operating. Forty-some Aes Sedai barging into the BT without invitations would be a pretty hazardous decision -- and counter to Aes Sedai programming -- so worrying about a missing envoy for a month or more without acting on those worries would be completely in-character for Aes Sedai.

metaphor
12-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Rand or Egwene may have gained access to the BT dreamspike during the 18 days gap and usd it against the Seanchan.

Jemlin
12-28-2010, 01:49 PM
My wonder is how the HECK did Perrin travel into the White Tower during the battle between Eggy and Mesaana if there was a Dreamspike active.

He doesn't give any indication that he had to squeeze through a dreamspike boundary. He was just simply there, and then left. If I am not mistaken, during that battle none were able to travel in and out of the entire city via normal means, only within the city.

morat'corlm
12-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Perrin was carrying the dreamspike at the time.

FelixPax
12-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Side note: Is Emarin actually the Tairen Lord Algarin?

Yes. Algarin used his dead brother's name as cover, at the Black Tower in TofM book.
Algarin like Androl, knows quite bit about the Sea Folk.

Khoram
12-29-2010, 12:20 PM
My wonder is how the HECK did Perrin travel into the White Tower during the battle between Eggy and Mesaana if there was a Dreamspike active.

He doesn't give any indication that he had to squeeze through a dreamspike boundary. He was just simply there, and then left. If I am not mistaken, during that battle none were able to travel in and out of the entire city via normal means, only within the city.

Perrin carried the dreamspike into Tar Valon - it was only after Perrin arrived in Tar Valon that nobody was able to get away from the fighting without using conventional means. Perrin had carried it all the way to Tar Valon by leaping within the boundaries of the dreamspike in order to get it away from his men and the Whitecloaks. It was in Tar Valon that he destroyed the dreamspike ( or was it in the surrounding area of Tat Valon?).